30 replies to this topic

#21 CrazyCanuck

CrazyCanuck

Rookie

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE(Echolalia @ March 22, 2007 - 03:46PM) View Post

Yeah but we have Bertuzzi and Calder, two players who are more than willing to chase the puck into the corner after dumping it in, and often times can come out of the corners with it. I don't think the trap will be as effective this year as it has in the past. We have more grit to our team, and thats going to go a long way.

As much as I hope Bertuzzi turns out well for you guys, I just don't think many of you realize that one of the main reasons he sucked in Vancouver last year, aside from all the media attention, is that he never used his body like he did before the incident. He never got in front of the net and fought like Holmstrom does. I would hardly call him grit and a power forward until we see him play a few games and PROVE to us that he has regained his old form of 02-03. Please prove me wrong Bert.
IPB Image

#22 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(CrazyCanuck @ March 22, 2007 - 02:53PM) View Post

As much as I hope Bertuzzi turns out well for you guys, I just don't think many of you realize that one of the main reasons he sucked in Vancouver last year, aside from all the media attention, is that he never used his body like he did before the incident. He never got in front of the net and fought like Holmstrom does. I would hardly call him grit and a power forward until we see him play a few games and PROVE to us that he has regained his old form of 02-03. Please prove me wrong Bert.

His grit is the main reason we got him. I'm sure he knows whats expected of him and what role he should be playing. My main worry is how long it will take for him to get his game back from missing 60 games

#23 BlueMonk

BlueMonk

Cleaner

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:02 PM

CrazyCanuck is right, though. Bertuzzi played different after the Moore incident. He wasn't as physical and reckless. The Wings have to bank on him returning to form with the help of a change of scenery. It could go either way.
"Just charge me with the usual." -Bob Probert

#24 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:07 PM

I wouldn't count on anything "reckless" from a guy who just came off of back surgery, but he wants to be big and physical and leave us with a good first impression. Set phasers to "cautious optimism."
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#25 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE(CrazyCanuck @ March 22, 2007 - 03:53PM) View Post

...but thats all thats expected of him. Hes not here to make pretty plays. Hes not here to score all the goals. That was his role on Vancouver. Hes not a primary scorer on Detroit - thats reserved for Dats, Hank, Schneider, and Lids. His job will now be secondary scoring, but more importantly playing physical.

Back on topic, Vancouver has looked unstoppable lately, but so has Anaheim, Detroit, Nashville, San Jose, Dallas, Minnesota, Ottawa, Pittsburg, Buffalo, and New Jersey at varying points. (And I still feel like Im missing some.) Those were teams throughout the season that for a long stretch were considered unbeatable, dominant, rolling all four lines, sick chemistry, etc.

Hell, even St. Louis had a mini-series version of being unbeatable.

Edited by YoungGuns1340, 22 March 2007 - 03:21 PM.

It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude.

#26 Aki

Aki

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:32 PM

Guys don't worry, if the Wings end up playing the Canucks, I PROMISE that I won't go to the game. The reason why the Wings lost in Vancouver last Saturday was because I was at the game, and every time I go see the Wings when they are in town, they lose. For the benefit of the team and everyone here, I will promise that I won't go to see the Wings if they come to Vancouver.

#27 Vancouver Wings Fan

Vancouver Wings Fan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE(Aki @ March 22, 2007 - 01:32PM) View Post

Guys don't worry, if the Wings end up playing the Canucks, I PROMISE that I won't go to the game. The reason why the Wings lost in Vancouver last Saturday was because I was at the game, and every time I go see the Wings when they are in town, they lose. For the benefit of the team and everyone here, I will promise that I won't go to see the Wings if they come to Vancouver.

Hey AKI - I have been to 47 Wings games in my live. Since I was a kid I never saw a live loss!! I was at the game Saturday as well - I'm now 46 and 1! Likely would be near impossible to get a reasonable ticket anyway if it happens tha both Van and Det are far enough in to meet in the playoffs!

#28 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE(Aki @ March 22, 2007 - 03:32PM) View Post

We appreciate it smile.gif

#29 arnoldbuck

arnoldbuck

Can you see the Shooter!?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE(Vancouver Wings Fan @ March 22, 2007 - 03:26PM) View Post

Hey AKI - I have been to 47 Wings games in my live. Since I was a kid I never saw a live loss!! I was at the game Saturday as well - I'm now 46 and 1! Likely would be near impossible to get a reasonable ticket anyway if it happens tha both Van and Det are far enough in to meet in the playoffs!

46 and 1!!!!!!!!! Holy Crap!!!
No Matter How Many Fish in the Sea ... It'll be So Empty Without Me
I'm a lover, not a fighter. But I'm also a fighter, so don't get any idea's.

#30 FinWing

FinWing

Vaasa red & white

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE(Vancouver Wings Fan @ March 23, 2007 - 12:26AM) View Post

Nice picking! clap.gif You should go to Wings games more often since you're obviously good luck. tongue.gif
Thank You TeeMan

#31 Oddzilla51

Oddzilla51

Rookie

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE(Hossa @ March 22, 2007 - 03:14PM) View Post

it's the typical misconception of any hockey fan from the east who thinks the Canucks are doing so great all because of Luongo.

if you have actually followed the Canucks closely since Christmas you would know their consistent success is not ALL due to Luongo.

they play smart, they don't make mistakes, and they follow their system to a T. they also have one of the most underrated, deep defensive core in the league. and their special teams are solid.

basically, the Canucks are the New Jersey Devils of the West.

Exactly right. The Canucks have always been a team on the cusp of alot of success. They can get the job done, but for a long time, the biggest problem they have had is in net.

Now they have that piece of the puzzle. As a team, they are really doing well.

All I hear sometimes is that Luongo is the team. Sorry, he's the goalie. They have forwards who can score, defense who can break up plays and support the goalie and a goalie who can make saves when needed and steal some potential goals. Luongo is part of the answer, not the answer.

As a team, they play great. It is not only because of Luongo. He is finally on a team that can support him as much as he can support a team. If Luongo has gone to another team, he may not be having the success he is. Same thing with the Canucks, they would still have a hole in goal if Luongo hadn't have gone there.

Plus, if Luongo was the answer to a teams woes, why wasn't the Panthers more successful with him? The answer is simple. They didn't have as good of a team. He played very well, but the Panthers were a horrible team. No goalie could have saved them.

But there will always be people who don't see the game as a whole and focus on small aspects of it.

Edited by Oddzilla51, 23 March 2007 - 10:21 PM.

I like chocolate!