• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

shadow47

Babs calls out Hasek...what gives?

Rate this topic

So, obviously on the second CGY goal, it was a dive in an attempt to draw a penalty.

Dom's explanation so as not to publicly admit taking a dive:

"Somebody bumped me in the head, I don't know it if was my teammate or their player, and I fell down on my back," he said. "I was a little bit confused, I didn't know what was going on. Before I got up, they scored that goal."

Judging by the way the game came out as a whole, it was a fine game by most players playing, but here's what our hero Babcock thinks about the whole thing:

Red Wings coach Mike Babcock offered a different version, and said he talked to Hasek during the second intermission.

"It wasn't interference at all. Our goalie tried to draw the penalty and he dove and they shot it in the net," Babcock said. "The bottom line is embellishment is something that happens in our games, probably too much, and when you try and draw a penalty and they shoot it in our net, it's a tough one."

"In the past AND I just mentioned it tonight. The bottom line is embellishment is something that happens in our game probably too much and when you try to draw a penalty and it doesn't go your way, it's a tough one."

While his teammates were too classy to call him out on it, you can bet there was a measure of frustration on their bench that matched Babcock's. After all, it kept the Wings one point away from catching Nashville.

Babcock reviewed the play and informed a passing scribe there was contact from Iginla's elbow but nothing that warranted the violent reaction every ref from here to Minsk has seen before.

"I told him, 'That's why nobody calls it,' " said Babcock.

The Flames' reaction:

No one in the Flames dressing room was either surprised or upset by Hasek's shenanigans but some had to fight off a grin at how foolish the six-time Vezina and two-time Hart winner looked.

"It was a good call by the referee to ignore the dive," said Huselius.

"It wasn't the best shot but it went in. Obviously, if the referee would have blown the whistle it's a good play but it worked out for us."

I understand the coach is upset about losing the game, but how do you blame the goalie in this one? I think it's pretty difficult when your team scores 1 and it's Hasek's fault just because the guy is trying to get his team a powerplay. It's always easy to say afterwards that he shouldn't have tried when a goal goes in, but you can say that about any play in hockey. And to publicly comment on it is pointless--should Hasek never try to draw a penalty again? Should Hasek never leave the crease again? Never flop again?...most players in this league embellish or dive at some point, several of the Wings' penalties that night were clear dives. Personally, whether Babs wants to accept it or not, diving is a part of sports and will be there whether he likes it or not. Maybe if the Wings embellished more they would not be in such a powerplay deficit...he lost points with me on this one.

Maybe he could have Osgood start in the playoffs.

I guess in hindsight, what it comes down to is if Dom doesn't dive we walk out of there with at least a point (1-1) and are then tied with Nashville at 100pts.

but alas thats the way I look at it.

I don't think he blamed the loss on Hasek, he simply called him out on this one play. I am not sure why he did that, maybe he tried to deal with it before and it hadn't worked and now he is trying this angle, who knows.

I think Goalies in general tend to embelish more than the average player, but Hasek does take the cake in that area. I would be lying if I said his antics didn't frustrate me at times.

If you watch clips of the last 2 games, Hasek has been on his back llaying on the ice and Calgary and the Canucks both scored. He was down for no reason (unless during the Vancouver game he thought the puck was under him).

You can draw your own conclusions.

Babcock is completely right on this one. Hasek has not been great lately at it is, and it was an obvious dive.

Hasek has played very well of late besides the last 2 times he has layed on the ice for extended periods of time and it resulted in 2 goals.

Have you missed some of the cross crease saves he has actually made in the last 2 games?

I don't think he blamed the loss on Hasek, he simply called him out on this one play. I am not sure why he did that, maybe he tried to deal with it before and it hadn't worked and now he is trying this angle, who knows.

I think Goalies in general tend to embelish more than the average player, but Hasek does take the cake in that area. I would be lying if I said his antics didn't frustrate me at times.

Quote from my girlfriend who knows NOTHING about hockey,"Why is that goalie guy always wondering out of his net

and falling all over the place"

The only reason we stayed in that game was Hasek's play. We deserved to lose that game 4, 5, 6 to 1. Although Hasek made a mistake, I don't like the direction Babcock took this.

The bench was frustraded? Maybe they should of focused of Calgary's strong forecheck instead about worrying about their goalie.

The only reason we stayed in that game was Hasek's play. We deserved to lose that game 4, 5, 6 to 1. Although Hasek made a mistake, I don't like the direction Babcock took this.

The bench was frustraded? Maybe they should of focused of Calgary's strong forecheck instead about worrying about their goalie.

No, no... you don't get it. Dom is the reason they only produced one goal per game. It's his fault they lost. Babcock believes "punishing" Hasek will make the rest of the team perform better. He is wrong about that.

I am being sarcastic. <_< See?

Seriously, Dom is the reason they didn't get completely shellacked in Calgary, since the entire team seems to spend most of the time in the box. Not saying they can help that, if the refs are indeed bent on penalizing the Wings more than they deserve. I doubt it. If Babcock wants to call people out on making mistakes, he better make a list and get started.

Dom made a desperate ditch effort to get something, anything, going the Wings' direction. It didn't work. I am very concerned about people who are gleefully blaming Hasek for the Wings' poor showings lately. He's the reason they ever had a chance in either W. Canada game. They didn't show up offensively, so they lost. And there you have it.

Note: reportedly, Hasek and Babcock have talked about his public denunciation of his own goalie's actions. Hasek is fine with it. The replay shows that Iginla hit Dom in the head. Wrong assumption on the coach's part, apparently for blaming Hasek and for a loss that was in fact a bad team performance, IMO. Hasek is bigger than this, fortunately, and it won't effect things going forward on his part.

Bottom line is when your a goalie you cant make those dives, your the last line of defense so when you screw up it normally ends in a goal for the other team. It was Doms fault and he knows it (wont admit it to the public) and you wont see that in the playoffs. When playoffs start I think you'll see a more sound dom in net. You'll see a profesional who wants to win a cup.

It's Babs job to motivate & get more out of all the players. I think it's likely just a tactic to get Hasek ultra focused on his A-game, and i hope it does not back-fire & cause some rift at this point of the season.

I hate when hasek dives...that single play cost us the game. To his defense, however, the wings have scored 2 goals in the past 2 games. Hard to win any games that way. Hopefully with Bert and Cleary back all will be well--plus Ozzie is in net :) .

It's Babs job to motivate & get more out of all the players. I think it's likely just a tactic to get Hasek ultra focused on his A-game, and i hope it does not back-fire & cause some rift at this point of the season.

it won't. At least not on Hasek's part. I can't imagine anyone would think Hasek, who is famous for his concentration and attention to the game, needs a lesson. But whatever...

Hasek has played very well of late besides the last 2 times he has layed on the ice for extended periods of time and it resulted in 2 goals.

Have you missed some of the cross crease saves he has actually made in the last 2 games?

When I say lately, I mean 5-10 games, not just the last 2. I'm not trying to rip Hasek either, but he AND the team have not been playing great for a couple weeks now.

First off, yes it was a mistake and that is going to happen. It's not the first time it's going to happen and it won't be the last. Big whoop.

Secondly, the media is blowing this out of proportion. Babs NEVER blamed the game on Hasek, he just didn't like the embelishment which is pretty understandable. It seems like the media wants to make it something more and that they are trying to now get Dom to say something back and maybe spark it a bit. Which is pretty ridiculous I might add. It's done and over with.

Lastly, I don't get how some of you guys are overeacting about Babcock. This is the first time he's ever called Dom out. It's not like he's done this before. He had good reason to do so but like mentioned it's done and over with so let's not make a big deal out of it. He's called out Ozzie several times on bad goals, mistakes..etc. but that was that. Nothing more nothing less. Just proving that it happens all the time in this sport. No need to get mad over it.

Babs calls out everyone else..who cares. Plus, I think the whole thing is overblown. Hasek made a mistake...he pointed it out, I don't think anyone thinks that everything is Hasek's fault.

Babs calls out everyone else..who cares. Plus, I think the whole thing is overblown. Hasek made a mistake...he pointed it out, I don't think anyone thinks that everything is Hasek's fault.

well said that should end the thread.

Hasek didn't dive in the Van game to get a penalty...he was diving to make a save after he tried to stop the cycling by the Canucks after Detroit's defense proved ineffective at stopping it themselves. Here's an interesting tidbit from TSN...again fueling the "What is MB thinking?" philosophy.

per TSN.ca

There was a brief exchange between the coach and veteran goaltender during the second intermission when Babcock refused to let Hasek see the video replay afterwards, but apparently there were no harsh words exchanged.

I don't know who Babcock thinks he is, but when you've got Dom Hasek wanting to look at a replay, why not let him? Someone has a slight power trip going on.

it won't. At least not on Hasek's part. I can't imagine anyone would think Hasek, who is famous for his concentration and attention to the game, needs a lesson. But whatever...

That wasn't a function of concentration, it was an error in judgement.

Hasek's play has been very good overal, but that's what can be so frustrating about Dom. He plays great, but can make a couple bad decisions that are easily avoidable that end up hurting the Wings.

So it's like he's really good at the hard part--making big saves, but occasionally flakes on the relatively easy part--Not wandering out of the net at the wrong time or taking a dive while the puck is in play.

Quote from my girlfriend who knows NOTHING about hockey,"Why is that goalie guy always wondering out of his net

and falling all over the place"

I disagree, Babcock did the right thing because it was not an isolated incident. Hasek has to stop flopping. The Wings hadn't called him out for it before, it was about time. And Babcock was dead on that everyone knows he's a flopper and that's why it's not called, this being a perfect example why.

I am no Hasek basher or defender of the refs.

- I have been a Hasek supporter since we signed him, I preferred him to any alternative we had

- I have a lot of issues with referees calling games

- And you're right he played a great game and kept in it.

But we are PAYING him to play goalie for us and none of this excuses that he gave away a free goal and is a flopper and flopped and he has to knock it off. He gave up a 100% chance at a goal for a roughly 20% chance at a goal assuming the flop was even called.

I disagree, Babcock did the right thing because it was not an isolated incident. Hasek has to stop flopping. The Wings hadn't called him out for it before, it was about time. And Babcock was dead on that everyone knows he's a flopper and that's why it's not called, this being a perfect example why.

I am no Hasek basher or defender of the refs.

- I have been a Hasek supporter since we signed him, I preferred him to any alternative we had

- I have a lot of issues with referees calling games

- And you're right he played a great game and kept in it.

But we are PAYING him to play goalie for us and none of this excuses that he gave away a free goal and is a flopper and flopped and he has to knock it off. He gave up a 100% chance at a goal for a roughly 20% chance at a goal assuming the flop was even called.

Times Hasek's flops have resulted in a powerplay for the Wings this season: numerous

Times Hasek's flops have resulted directly in a goal for the opposition: 1

So I'm not sure why Babcock feels the need to make a big deal out of this since it's helping the team. And it's pretty ridiculous that fans think you can just weed out a mistake here and there and get a perfect player...the whole game is a neverending series of decisions, all with the potential to result in "mistakes". The fact that DH plays with so few is a tribute to his skill in the crease...in short it's easy to highlight the mistakes and ignore the plays he makes look like nothing. I'm just saying there was no reason to say anything in the papers...Babc should just keep quiet and work on the part of his team that actually NEEDS his "coaching".

Edited: to include quotations marks where appropriate

Edited by shadow47