75 replies to this topic

#41 shadow47

shadow47

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE(Heaton @ March 22, 2007 - 09:25AM) View Post

It's been more than once, Babcock wouldn't blast him in the papers for a one time thing.

Only once have his dives resulted directly in a goal being scored...that's why I'm saying he's overreacting. Hasek has dove plenty this year but many of those have resulted in Wings PPs and others have just been no-calls, with Dom getting one or two diving penalties. I've watched every game and I have a good memory. Had it not been a game-winning goal, I suspect he wouldn't have said anything. But he might've kept his trap shut nonetheless when the Wings are better off for the dives than without.

Edited by shadow47, 22 March 2007 - 12:31 PM.

Golman Dominik Hašek povede Eaton HC Pardubice na ligový titul 2009/2010!

#42 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE(puckloo39 @ March 22, 2007 - 01:13PM) View Post

I don't think Dom dove either, he did get hit.

Even you can't honestly believe that. Sure, he got "touched" but if something like that causes you to fall like that, then do you really have the adequate balance to be a professional athlete?

#43 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE(Heaton @ March 22, 2007 - 12:25PM) View Post

It's been more than once, Babcock wouldn't blast him in the papers for a one time thing.

I would say the ratio of goals Dom has "caused" versus the ones he's saved when his team-mates screw up is enormously in favor of the saves, to say the least. So, IMO the over-reaction and Babcock's decision to call Hasek out on this one instance was a poor one, in retrospect. Granted, the press had a field day with it and perhaps Mike didn't expect that -- but he should have known better. Maybe he did, and this is the backlash he wanted? Who knows?

Just my opinion, but I dislike coaches who air their grievances with players to the media, just as I dislike players who do the same. I can forgive Mike for this one lapse in judgement, as I haven't really seen this tendency in him. Too bad, if people aren't willing to do the same for Hasek considering he's been a rock for Detroit this season, against all odds. If he's going to call out one player, whether from frustration or whatever, he needs to do it with everyone who screws up on the team. It's because it's Hasek that this is such a big deal.

Hasek willl be fine, by the way. And nothing about his game will change, thankfully.

edit... I can't spell today.

Edited by puckloo39, 22 March 2007 - 12:39 PM.

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#44 shadow47

shadow47

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE(toby91_ca @ March 22, 2007 - 09:35AM) View Post

Even you can't honestly believe that. Sure, he got "touched" but if something like that causes you to fall like that, then do you really have the adequate balance to be a professional athlete?

I agree, it was a dive and a bad idea at the time, just trying to do too much. Really no reason to bring it up in the press still, MB knows they have a field day with quotes like this.
Golman Dominik Hašek povede Eaton HC Pardubice na ligový titul 2009/2010!

#45 Heaton

Heaton

Oh noez

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:40 PM

It's because it's Hasek that this is such a big deal.

Good lord.
Moral victories are for losers.

#46 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE(Heaton @ March 22, 2007 - 12:40PM) View Post

Good lord.

it's true and you know it. laugh.gif

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#47 Heaton

Heaton

Oh noez

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE(puckloo39 @ March 22, 2007 - 01:41PM) View Post

No it isn't
Moral victories are for losers.

#48 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE(Heaton @ March 22, 2007 - 12:41PM) View Post

No it isn't

sure it is. If Babcock called out Lang or Lilja, for instance, on a particularly bad turnover which caused a GWG, no one would pay any attention. They do it all the time. Hasek makes one mistake and it's front page news in every outlet. The bigger you are, the more people want to see you fail. Human nature, I guess.

puckloo39dom.jpg

Best ever

#49 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:52 PM

Yes. Diving is a part of the game. But you've got to be smart about it and manage your risks. Diving when you could potentially lose the game for your team is probably not a good management of risks. That's why Babcock said something, whether it appears like that or not.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#50 Elshupacabra

Elshupacabra

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:02 PM

Players get called out by there coaches all the time, I usually makes a player step up there game a little. I'm in full support of babs on this one, Hasek has been known to do some dumb things at times such as diving, koncking the net off its moorings on purpose, leaving the net and getting trapped and having to give the puck to the other team.

way to go babs! clap.gif

#51 TheUltimateWingsFan

TheUltimateWingsFan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:09 PM

Babcock's right but he should left it in the dressing room. No need to embarrass Dom in public.

#52 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE(Elshupacabra @ March 22, 2007 - 01:02PM) View Post

Players get called out by there coaches all the time, I usually makes a player step up there game a little. I'm in full support of babs on this one, Hasek has been known to do some dumb things at times such as diving, koncking the net off its moorings on purpose, leaving the net and getting trapped and having to give the puck to the other team.

way to go babs! clap.gif

Right. Hasek's been lousy this season and needs to step it up. rolleyes.gif

All goalies do this stuff. See Patrick Roy for examples of creative net-displacement at opportune times, see any goalie in the league for well-timed dives. Hasek didn't invent any of it.

Babcock's comments revealed his frustration over the two straight losses, featuring no offensive effort and constant penalties on the team, compounded by injuries. Unfortunately he left out (or the media did) the fact that Hasek kept them in both games and gave them a chance to win.

Hasek's error was just the last straw for Babcock, and the load landed on Dom. Babcock lost his temper and Dom was in the way. I doubt that it will happen again, in either case.

puckloo39dom.jpg

Best ever

#53 dicksmack

dicksmack

Tunnel bus to the Joe!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:20 PM

I'm glad Babs speaks his mind on this one. The margins are too slim this time of year to be giving away freebies. Dom rocks aside from that!
Finally someone that can post with actually integrity, nice to see. :thumbup: --Carman

#54 Offsides

Offsides

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE(puckloo39 @ March 22, 2007 - 01:41PM) View Post

It's true only because other players are called out all the time. Dom gets called up and everyone starts whining that no one should critisize Dom for his flopping. And a whole thread is started about the outrage...when really, who cares about that one little comment.

Hasek does not suck at all, but is not above reproach...when other goalies do boneheaded things THEY get called out by the coach. In my opinion, good for Babs, if Dom got off free wouldn't it make Babs look like he was playing favroites...

This is better proof than ever that Dom is in because he's good, and is not above reproach. I like to see it. Dom will think twice before doing that again...and will, naturally still be #1...no harm done.

Posted Image

#55 Elshupacabra

Elshupacabra

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE(puckloo39 @ March 22, 2007 - 02:18PM) View Post

Right. Hasek's been lousy this season and needs to step it up. rolleyes.gif

All goalies do this stuff. See Patrick Roy for examples of creative net-displacement at opportune times, see any goalie in the league for well-timed dives. Hasek didn't invent any of it.

Babcock's comments revealed his frustration over the two straight losses, featuring no offensive effort and constant penalties on the team, compounded by injuries. Unfortunately he left out (or the media did) the fact that Hasek kept them in both games and gave them a chance to win.

Hasek's error was just the last straw for Babcock, and the load landed on Dom. Babcock lost his temper and Dom was in the way. I doubt that it will happen again, in either case.

dry.gif I didn't mean to say that Hasek needed to step it up, He has been awesome this whole season, He is a goaltender that likes to win for his team, he gets very upset when he lets in lots of goals or a few cheap ones and usually comes back the next game he plays and dose phenomenal, Example: Game at Boston, Hasek was in net, Lost 6-1, Next game he played was Nashville at JLA he was AWESOME! all I'm saying is Players respond to getting called out by coaches...MOST of the time in a positive way for the team...and I am WELL aware of the cheating ways of Roy, many a hole was punched in my family room wall when Roy got away with that bull crap!

#56 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:32 PM

Wow Hasek made one mistake in the game, he dove and cost us a goal, big whoop. Last time I checked he only let 2 goals in the game and we took 5 penalties. And I am pretty sure its hard to win a game when your team only scores one goal for you, and takes alot of penalties and what not.

Edited by Salviaman, 22 March 2007 - 01:34 PM.

Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#57 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE(Offsides @ March 22, 2007 - 01:27PM) View Post

It's true only because other players are called out all the time. Dom gets called up and everyone starts whining that no one should critisize Dom for his flopping. And a whole thread is started about the outrage...when really, who cares about that one little comment.

Hasek does not suck at all, but is not above reproach...when other goalies do boneheaded things THEY get called out by the coach. In my opinion, good for Babs, if Dom got off free wouldn't it make Babs look like he was playing favroites...

This is better proof than ever that Dom is in because he's good, and is not above reproach. I like to see it. Dom will think twice before doing that again...and will, naturally still be #1...no harm done.

see, Offsides, you are smarter than most and understand there is some sort of balance to this. I don't think anyone's saying Dom shouldn't be criticized when he makes a mistake and it costs the team. He knows it. He probably doesn't need his nose rubbed in it in the media to get the point -- but when a coach kicks that door open by airing his frustration to the press rather than to the player in private, it was to be expected. Maybe that's what Babcock was after, I don't know. I doubt it.

I also don't know that I've seen a coach throw one of his star players under the bus like this recently, either, but you're probably correct that it has happened.

puckloo39dom.jpg

Best ever

#58 Offsides

Offsides

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:44 PM

I don't think it matters if it's a 'star' player or not. I don't even think Babs comments were 'that' bad. He usually comes out, gives credit where due, gives critisism where due. Says it how he sees it.

It's only a really big deal because people are making it a big deal. Maybe he shouldn't say it in front of the media...maybe everyone is right on that, but then he shouldn't for all players. So in fairness, I think it was good that he didn't in essense single Dom out by NOT mentioning his mistake. It would be bad if he started putting players above others...at times I think he has done that anyway, but it's good to see that he'll call out a 'star' if he thinks that needs to happen.

I'm telling you...as an Ozzie fan, that you'd be hardpressed to hear something pleasant about Ozzie coming out of Babs mouth. Not to say it doesn't happen, but he's heavy on the critisism light on the praise even in very good games. I think he coaches with a heavy hand to get results.

Posted Image

#59 BlueMonk

BlueMonk

Cleaner

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:01 PM

If saying it in front of the media motivates his goalie, then he did the right thing.

Hasek is a really polarizing figure. He seems to get less credit than he deserves sometimes. But the people who defend him tend to lose touch with reality, too.

"Just charge me with the usual." -Bob Probert

#60 moocat

moocat

Babcock's hair really is magnificent..

• PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE(Offsides @ March 22, 2007 - 02:44PM) View Post

I don't think it matters if it's a 'star' player or not. I don't even think Babs comments were 'that' bad. He usually comes out, gives credit where due, gives critisism where due. Says it how he sees it.

It's only a really big deal because people are making it a big deal. Maybe he shouldn't say it in front of the media...maybe everyone is right on that, but then he shouldn't for all players. So in fairness, I think it was good that he didn't in essense single Dom out by NOT mentioning his mistake. It would be bad if he started putting players above others...at times I think he has done that anyway, but it's good to see that he'll call out a 'star' if he thinks that needs to happen.

I'm telling you...as an Ozzie fan, that you'd be hardpressed to hear something pleasant about Ozzie coming out of Babs mouth. Not to say it doesn't happen, but he's heavy on the critisism light on the praise even in very good games. I think he coaches with a heavy hand to get results.

Well put. clap.gif
IPB Image

Got Moo?