• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwinger4747

Red Wings attendance is DISGUSTING!

Rate this topic

Has anyone else been absolutely DISGUSTED with the Red Wings attendance and atmosphere at the Joe this season? I know the tickets sell out, but when you watch the games on TV or attend them, half the seats are empty and the atmosphere is totally dead.

This is a serious problem that annoys the s*** out of me. I would love to fill those empty spots and cheer like crazy for the wings. I seriously think our ACTUAL attendance has got to be one of the worst in the league right now.

This is so apparent that Ron Mclean and Don Cherry have mentioned this on several occassions.

Anyone who has been watching should have noticed an extreme contrast with the atmosphere at Calgary and Vancouver. They were full and rockin. The Joe: just dead. This is sad, just sad.

Must we have a thread like this every week???

The seats in the lower bowl are more or less all sold to corporations. If they dont use the tickets, die hard fans cant. Get over it. Its happening in arenas were teams have had continuous succes.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

yeah it is quite sad.

Whatever happend to the real "Hockey Town"?

I sure miss it, the games aren't the same anymore, and Detroit doesn't seem as hockey crazy anymore.

:(:(

Its no longer exciting if Detroit wins 50 games. Its expected. Its par for the course. Look at all of us on this board...pissed off about not landing the first seed by now. We're spoiled. Wings fans are spoiled. The season is basically a wash for a lot of fans. The Playoffs are where its at and even then, its about playoff depth with this organization.

Its no longer exciting if Detroit wins 50 games. Its expected. Its par for the course. Look at all of us on this board...pissed off about not landing the first seed by now. We're spoiled. Wings fans are spoiled. The season is basically a wash for a lot of fans. The Playoffs are where its at and even then, its about playoff depth with this organization.

Yeah I suppose you are right.

It just seems like even the players don't play with heart anymore.

Like in the late 90's we had the grind line, and Yzerman, Shanny, all them they all brought good spirt onto the ice now it just seems like there out there skating, and they win, its like oh cool. Things have changed in that aspect as well.

Well I've only been to two games.

The NYE game was truly rawkin!

The 19 retirement ceremony was awesome, but the game atmosphere was very disappointing.

So yeah, I know what you mean when you say it bugs the s*** of you.

While true, this ABSOLUTELY should NOT affect the atmosphere of the games and attendance! Us die hard Wings fan who expect them to win 50 games in a season should STILL be at the Joe in force, screaming our lungs out for the Wings like most other arenas, especially the Canadian ones.

As for tonight, It was NOT fine, half the lower bowl was empty as always and the crowd was dead like always

And this is not fair to the players, who win most of the home games.

More Wings fans come to away games than home ones.

Edited by redwinger4747

It seemed better than a lot of games, and more people stayed till the very end than usual. I don't know, maybe if you are screaming your head off you don't realize that other people aren't :D

It's a combination of things...the Joe is most definitely a corporate arena, it's hard as hell to get seats if you aren't rich or don't work for a big company that hands out lower-bowl tickets to executives and managers. And yes, the novelty of having a winning team is long gone in Detroit, there's really nothing the Wings can do to thrill fans anymore short of winning a Cup...especially since there hasn't been a good fight, brawl, or even a simple rivalry to speak of in years.

But the biggest thing is that the Wings don't have any hunger anymore. There's no team toughness, uniting identity, chemistry, or passion like on teams in the mid/late 90's, which is why they get beat by less-talented but hungrier teams in the first round every year. If they want to liven up the Joe, they need to show a little desire and fight their way a few rounds deep into the playoffs.

Maybe Mr.Ford needs to own the team. He seems to know how to pack in the crowd with a losing product that has no future. But then the Red Wings will start to suck and fall to the curse of Mr.Ford.

Has anyone else been absolutely DISGUSTED with the Red Wings attendance and atmosphere at the Joe this season? I know the tickets sell out, but when you watch the games on TV or attend them, half the seats are empty and the atmosphere is totally dead.

This is a serious problem that annoys the s*** out of me. I would love to fill those empty spots and cheer like crazy for the wings. I seriously think our ACTUAL attendance has got to be one of the worst in the league right now.

This is so apparent that Ron Mclean and Don Cherry have mentioned this on several occassions.

Anyone who has been watching should have noticed an extreme contrast with the atmosphere at Calgary and Vancouver. They were full and rockin. The Joe: just dead. This is sad, just sad.

Yeah but that Red Wings game at Vancouver was a rare occasion. Usually the crowd is very dull in Vancouver unless it is playoffs. The Canucks have a corporate arena as well, and I wish we had something along the lines of Montreal's crowd. :D

I've read that the Pistons are having the same problem. The tickets are sold but they can't get people in the seats. I think a lot of it has to do with the economic uncertainty around here. People just aren't willing to spend the money. Even if you get the tickets for a decent price, you are still looking at a fairly expensive evening once you factor in parking and refreshments.

I'm going to the game Saturday but I got raped on the tickets. I don't mind because I really want to go but I don't think a lot of people look at it that way.

Yeah but that Red Wings game at Vancouver was a rare occasion. Usually the crowd is very dull in Vancouver unless it is playoffs. The Canucks have a corporate arena as well, and I wish we had something along the lines of Montreal's crowd. :D

Haha- Montreal would tear that team apart. They're quite good at killing team spirit over there. Just look at, well everyone, on the Canadians right now :P I do not envy sports teams in Montreal.

I see two games a week in Australia as well as seeing highlights. I would have to saythat to me it seems as though the Joe is one of the quietest venues in the league; it really isn’t anywhere near that of other teams.

I've read that the Pistons are having the same problem. The tickets are sold but they can't get people in the seats. I think a lot of it has to do with the economic uncertainty around here. People just aren't willing to spend the money. Even if you get the tickets for a decent price, you are still looking at a fairly expensive evening once you factor in parking and refreshments.

I'm going to the game Saturday but I got raped on the tickets. I don't mind because I really want to go but I don't think a lot of people look at it that way.

My gf and I have been to 5 games this year and your right once you get to the rink its an expensive night. (Tickets were gifts, and mom is part of the corporate crowd) We've had to turn down free tickets for 2 games just because of the price you pay to have a DECENT time down there. (college students)

Another attendance thread... :zzz:

One thing you should note: If you watch games on TV and notice how quite the games are, you should more or less blame FSN Detroit for turning the microphones so low that you hear nothing beyond Ken and Mickey. I have noticed that on NBC games the crowd is a little bit noticably louder.

Another factor of course comes into play: It's Columbus. Nobody gets up for watching them. The Jackets have yet to even compete for a playoff spot in their existance, and once you get beyond Vyborny, Nash, and to an extent Fedorov, there is little to no skill on that team at all. I say this as a whole, even though they did beat the Wings last night. They really only beat them because the Wings were lazy. If the Wings were at the top of their game last night, they would have blown the Jackets clear out of the water.

And of course, the Joe is a corperate arena. Even if you are a diehard fan, unless you're rich, you're not going to be able to ****** up a ticket before a corperate company does.

edited for grammar

Edited by Kp-Wings

This has been discussed AD NASEUM IN HERE.

Corporations have tickets that some use.

A lot of people, I'm assuming, have families to raise and kids to bring the school next day and their residence is aways away from the arena, hence leaving early.

It's as simple as that and I'm done with getting all irked up and frustrated about it because it isn't going to change.

Maybe Mr.Ford needs to own the team. He seems to know how to pack in the crowd with a losing product that has no future. But then the Red Wings will start to suck and fall to the curse of Mr.Ford.

Just wait until the stadium is no longer "NEW" then see what happens.

Atleast the seats are sold, so the Organization has the money to reinvest in the team.

If you look around the league, everyone has empty lower bowl seats. Think about it, when someone/corporation has tickets to all 41 games they can't make them all. People still have a life to live.

It better if the lower bowl is corporate. How many of you are willing to pay $80 a seat? I'm not. If the lower bowl was left for the average fan and a game by game basis, the seats would never be sold.

Also, I don't like how people compare Detroit to Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver. There's a lot more to do in Detroit than those Canadian cities, so the Wings have more competition around town for entertainment dollars.