• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Zetter is Better

Fighting?

Rate this topic

There was a topic on Around The Horn today about Colin Campbell considering a ban on fighting.

Does Campbell even have the authority to ban fighting? Unless I'm mistaken, the GMs (and competition comittee?) would have to approve the ban, which I doubt they would. The GMs just voted to increase the number of instigator penalties before suspending a player, which is a move in the opposite direction.

Also, how does the Simon and Tootoo incident (refrenced in the story) have anything to do about fighting? In fact, I see these incidents as more of a "pro fighting" argument. If the players involved had just dropped the gloves and squared off, then all involved would have been better served.

The Simon incident should be a clear sign for Colin Campbell that it's not only fighting that injures people. And if he takes fighting out of the game, we'll see that kind of stuff 10x more and 10x worse.

I really don't get how one fight is the consensus for all of this. People have been KO'd quickly in one punch before. The NHL already struggles for a fan base outside of Canada, Detroit, Buffalo, and Minnesota, so why make it even worse now? All of sudden the NHL brass wants to turn the sport into ice dancing or something. Fighting has been in hockey forever, and it damn well better stay that way.

If you take a look at the list of injured players right now, the vast majority of them are out of the line up NOT because of fights they got into. They got hurt because of cheap and dangerous checks and high sticks. If they're really worried about people getting hurt they need to focus more on players charging from behind and the like, which is something the players, coaches and fans don't like seeing. Fighting rarely causes injuries (especially to the case where players are out for more than a week), and it brings a good source of needed entertainment to the league, not to mention safety for the smaller, more talented scorers.

The bottom line is fighting is required for a complete hockey league.

My apologies if I have re-hased anything but my 0.02........

I'm all for your regular 1-on-1 fight every now and then in a game.

It's my perception that referees don't encourage fighting or break them up before the two guys really get to scrap, which is a joke.

I don't want games to just get out of control with melees every 10 minutes, but I get so annoyed when referees just won't even let anything outside of a scrum happen.

Get rid of the penalties for instigating.

If you take a look at the list of injured players right now, the vast majority of them are out of the line up NOT because of fights they got into. They got hurt because of cheap and dangerous checks and high sticks. If they're really worried about people getting hurt they need to focus more on players charging from behind and the like, which is something the players, coaches and fans don't like seeing. Fighting rarely causes injuries (especially to the case where players are out for more than a week), and it brings a good source of needed entertainment to the league, not to mention safety for the smaller, more talented scorers.

The bottom line is fighting is required for a complete hockey league.

Actually, 16 players have been injured in fights this year, 5 seriously hurt (possibly career ending).

Actually, 16 players have been injured in fights this year, 5 seriously hurt (possibly career ending).

There have been 90+ people total injured just in March of this year, compared to 16 fight related injuries over the whole season. I really think there are other problems that need solving before they decide to ban fighting.

I say ban sticks. Make it a combination of soccer and figure skating....since thats the direction that Bettman wants.

Poll i made here for anyone who'd like to vote on this

I say ban the big ass shoulder and elbow pads players wear now. I know I wasn't alive during the Original Six era, but watching hockey in the early 90's as a kid I didn't remember quite so many injuries happening from players being hit in the face with an elbow pad that feels like a brick.

They should just go back to wearing foam, or at least something softer. It would really reduce the amount of concussions sustained from checks to the head.

I say ban the big ass shoulder and elbow pads players wear now. I know I wasn't alive during the Original Six era, but watching hockey in the early 90's as a kid I didn't remember quite so many injuries happening from players being hit in the face with an elbow pad that feels like a brick.

They should just go back to wearing foam, or at least something softer. It would really reduce the amount of concussions sustained from checks to the head.

very true

Don cherry take on banning fighting. very funny

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hnic/coach...the_kindle.html

Edited by bogeygolfer

I will boycott the NHL if they ever ban fighting, why alienate the fans you have to please the fans that you dont have??

GREAT POST! couldn't agree more. Bettman's always saying that he's doing what the fans want... who the hell is he talking to? the moron needs to go back to the NBA. I'm from Ohio, and I say this, get a Canadien to run the league, hire someone that would get it done the way the real fans want it to be done. You know, Stevie would have hit the 700 mark if someone else would have been running the league in 94 or 03.

Bettman stole 1.5 seasons from the Captain.

I just don't understand, fighting is what draws people to the sport. new fans don't understand the rules, the speed of the game, and the overall point of the game. what DO they understand...? a fight. new fan's thought: "whoa, people are fighting, they have to leave the game for 5 mins, now they're back, now the games over and they shake hands... weird, i have to know more about this crazy game." Bam, before you know it they're at the rink, fans for life.

Jeez, quit worrying about the damn fights and start making examples of players that are pulling cheap shots left and right... or how about this, no touch icing. careers end on that stuff... NOT fights. Geesh, if only Don Cherry could run the league!

Gary Bettman is a joke. If only the REAL fans could let his dumb ass know.

oh, and just because nobody mentioned it before, if Bettman and co. think fans don't like the fights, then WHY in the HELL does the crowd BOO when the linesmen break up an iminent fight? heh.. seriously...

Other than that yeah, I think I pretty much agree with what everyone else says. I mean how many people in the stands do you see actually sitting down during a fight? Think about it Gary...

I don't particularly like it, but I kinda understand it's need.

They certainly don't tolerate it during the Olympics.

I also think it keeps American kids away b/c their ignorant and horrified parents have a hard time explaining and justifying it. They can then point to the other major leagues and say look, fighting is not part of those games.

:(:D

I think fighting is such a part of the game it would be like taking out hitting or slap shots because people get hurt. It would be the MOST stupidest move in hockey since Bettman was hired.

I see you're from Ontario - not sure of your age, but do you remember the kid's name who used to hollar "NO RAISING! - NO RAISING!". I think he's the NHL commish now.

Anyways.....fighting has NEVER been part of the game of hockey. They blow the whistle as soon as one breaks out. Time stands still, so we can enjoy it.

aloha

I see you're from Ontario - not sure of your age, but do you remember the kid's name who used to hollar "NO RAISING! - NO RAISING!". I think he's the NHL commish now.

LoL, Im 15 but I play at the outdoor rinks and I`ve played with kids like that, Bettman was porbably one as a kid :D

LoL, Im 15 but I play at the outdoor rinks and I`ve played with kids like that, Bettman was porbably one as a kid :D

I hardly doubt Bettman knew what hockey was as a kid.

Or it could be what you said too. Wouldn't suprise me if it was. :P

imo fighthing belongs to a hockey game.

Here in germany we have stronger rules in fighting and there are not many games where you can see a fight. The refs stop it very early...

But there is also an interesting point about it i read a few years ago...

A hockeymagazine here asked players about something (i dont remeber what, maybe about hooking calls and this stuff) and two really good players (no goons) who played in NA before they moved to germany, said they would love to get only 5 min for fighting instead of a miscount because so it would be possible to show other players, who play dirty and grubby, use their stick to much etc, who is the boss on the ice.

very true

Don cherry take on banning fighting. very funny

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hnic/coach...the_kindle.html

don cherry is a genius, i laughed so hard at that one,...lol

He raises a great point though,...everyone goes "ohhhh the players are too big to fight now" Are you kidding me? that's like saying Defensive linemen are getting to big to sack the quaterback.

STOP TINKERING WITH THE GAME