• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockey13Playa

Everyones' favorite NHL team and why

Rate this topic

The Senators, because (I`m from Ottawa and I was a Sens fan before seeing the light and being converted to a Wings fan :D ) and because the Sens are a strong team that are always the underdogs in the play-offs.

I`m also liking the the baby Pens. They have come a long way since last season and Crosby is a skilled player.

I've always liked Buffalo in the East. I'm only an hour away, so I know what's going on with the Sabers as well as the Red Wings. I've been to 3 games in Buffalo, and I really like the atmosphere at the HSBC Arena. I think Detroit and Buffalo have a lot of similarities as cities (border town, blue collar workers, etc.) and fans, so I've just kind of naturally followed them as well.

Plus, since I can't stand the Leafs, the Sabers always are Leaf killers. So I really like that. :lol:

Besides the Wings, I like Buffalo, I've followed them for many years. In the West, San Jose and probably Dallas as a third team, since I live closest to them I get more information on them than other teams. Which is not that much. Texas is all about football and basketball. We have to work hard to be hockey fans here. :P

I would have to say the Maple Leafs.When they moved to the East,it made it a lot easier to root for them.I used to work with a guy that was related to Darcy Tucker.

I am starting to follow Buffalo a lot lately.I'm not sure,I think it was Miller's last year at MSU,but we sat behind State's net at the CCHA championship game.I was really impressed by Ryan Miller,so he's probably my favorite non-Wings,non-Leafs player.

Besides the wings....Dallas Stars baby :D

I love Modano and Turco and I really like their jerseys.

My aunt got me into them years ago when Modano first started playing cuz she worked for them and got me this huge personalized autograph pic of him.

Last year during the playoffs I was a big buffalo fan mostly because Versus/NBC would never even mention how well they were doing when they were one of the best in the east.

I've always liked Atlanta though. I like their young players.

Other than the Wings I like the devils because of what they have accomplished. I REALLY enjoyed watching the series they had for the cup between the ducks. THAT was very memorable for me!

For me it's the Penguins. Always kinda liked them starting in high school when it seemed like every year they were making the playoffs and scoring upsets against the odds. Always liked Mario too. And the new version of the Pens is fun too, I think Crosby is the real deal. If the Wings aren't in the Cup Finals, for me to root for a team from the West would depend a lot on who's playing from the East, but I'd root for the Pens against anyone.

After the Pens would be the Thrashers. Kovalchuk is fun to watch.

My second favorite team to the Red Wings are the Boston Bruins - why - I was born there and my family was huge on Bobby Orr...

Numbah FOOUUURR BOBBY ORRRR. I cant tell you how many times I heard that in my parents house or watched that VHS tape (even though I never saw Orr play live - too young).. LOL

My heart belongs to O6 teams what can I say! :)

My second favorite team would probably be Nashville. They have been our closest rivals for the last few seasons since any given night they could come in our house and beat us. Columbus is just so pathetic you can't help but give them pity support, like a stray cat that walks up to your front door during a thunderstorm.

Beyond that I have a somewhat complex criteria for determining a favorite while in the midst of the season.

Firstly I root for the Wings, then the Central division. If two Central teams are playing, i.e. Nashville and Chicago, I'll typically root for whoever is the underdog in the situation. However when the 'Hawks were owning us last year I usually wanted them to lose (Mmmmm, spite) this way the Wings are always putting distance between themselves and the second place team.

After that I usually root against whoever the prognosticators have anointed the presumptive champs. Two years ago that was the Ducks and last year the Sharks. Last year because the Ducks were out of favor I actually rooted for them against the Sharks (congratulations universe, you win.)

I usually respect those teams who have been good for a while, and were rivals. For instance I like the Devils because they've maintained success. I like the Avs and to a lesser extent the Stars because those are the rivalries I grew up with.

Other teams I like are the Senators and Sabres for their historic underdoggedness and fast-pace games; Boston's another perpetual underdog. The Southeast teams are usually always underdogs but they are all so boring. I don't respect Carolina or Tampa because they have shown themselves to be flukes as far as Cup winning franchises (and if the darn Flamers and Oilers hadn't beat us we'd have crushed them in the Final).

Many times I'll just cheer against teams like Calgary, San Jose, Anaheim, and the Rangers, also known as Melrose's Favorites.

In a playoff situation I go for Central, West, Underdog (unless they were the ones to knock off the Wings). The Original Six teams also get some love in the playoff stretch because it would be awesome for all of them to make it.

Holy Crap! Who dug this thread out of the cellar from Mrch 07? It's like watching Classic Games on ESPN; Avery with the Rangers, Drury with the Sabres, Penguins "could" become a good team, lol. My second favorite team is anyone who is playing the Leafs and beats them. I love watching the Leafs lose just to hear the "blame everyone else" stance that the Toronto/Canadian media take after the game. It's never that the Leafs players just plain suck (which they do), it's always about the reffing, or the incredibly lucky bounces the other team received, or the illegal goalie equipment the other team used. Harry Neale was the worst one for this kind of homeristic bulls***. If I had to pick another team that I would like to see do well other than the Wings I guess it would be Calgary cause I like the city and I think Iginla is awesome and wish he would be traded to the Wings someday. Phaneuf plays a great game but by all accounts around Calgary he's a dick so it makes it a little tougher to like him. That and the fact that he's dating my soon-to-be-fiance (even if she doesn't know it yet, lol) kinda makes me wish he'd get traded to the Leafs so it would be that much easier to hate him.

Well, I didn't want to start a new thread and have someone say, "This is like the eighty-hundredth thread about this topic," so I thought I'd look for an older one.

I remember when the Leafs were moved to the East and my Dad was unhappy about it, but I don't really remember much of our rivalry with them. They've been pretty insignificant since then so it's hard to care about them. It would have been so awesome if they'd have beaten the Hurricanes in '02.

Edit: And Iginla is awesome. He should sign a one-year contract with the Wings after his contract is up to win the Cup a la Lucky Luc.

Edited by Chunkylover

Even though it's a pretty old thread, I'll add to it.

My second favorite team is the Kings. I like cheering for underdog teams, and I don't there has been a worse team in the league since the lockout than the Kings. Plus, my brothers used to play hockey on our street with Patrick O'Sullivan who lived in our sub.

Besides the Redwings of course who is your favorite NHL team and why?

Your reasoning could be for the silliest thing ever such as I like there jerseys.

P.s. Sorry if this type of thread has been done, if it bothers you then don't post

If you are an active poster on LGW forums and your favorite team isn't the red wings however you like them, then state why.

My favroite NHL team [ besides Detroit ] Is the Philadelphia Flyers, I have liked them for about 5 years or so now. I just always have liked there players, and there team, and wanted to see them win a cup. I also like the city of Philadephia and I think there logo is pretty cool.

I also loved the Legion of Doom, I thought that was an aweseome name for a line.

If i had to pick a team besides the Wings i would have to go with The Boston Bruins. I have a friend that plays in their organization with Providence. You guys might know him, Steve MacIntyre, a bigtime enforcer. Go to YouTube, type in his name and you will see what i am talking about.

I live and die with the Red Wings (and to a lesser extent Michigan Football). I have watched or attended almost every game since I was like 7 (i'm 19 now). There is no place I would rather be than in Joe Louis Arena. I have so many collectables from throughout the years you could call it a shrine. There is no way I could ever consider rooting for anyone. I am loyal beyond belief to the Red Wings. I understand most sports fans can route for and like multiple teams in the same sport or acrossed other sports but that's just not me. I don't mean to ruin your topic or anything, but the thruth is that's my answer.

The only other teams I can even stand are the other Original 6. Teams with a long history and tradition. Montreal/Toronto/New York/Chicago/Boston. I would hardly say I root for them or watch them though...

:blush:

Edited by 19Hockeytown5

If I wasn't a Wings fan I would probably be either a Sabres or Rangers fan. Mostly it's a geographic thing, since Sourthern Ontario borders Michigan and New York state and I can't stand Toronto teams.

Detroit is far and away my #1 sports city, New York is a very very very distant 2nd. Yes, If I wasn't a Wings/Tigers/Pistons/Lions fan, my teams would probably be Sabres or Rangers/Yankees/Knicks/Giants.

I've thought of this before.

Guest mindfly

RED WINGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS LETS GO RED WINGS

ah, other than wings... hmm probably washington capitals cause of ovechkin, fedorov, semin.... russian hockey ftw!