• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#21 reyalp

reyalp

Rookie

• Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:48 AM

Every original 6 team, just because they're all sweet no matter what.

#22 Cicada

Cicada

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:50 AM

NY Rangers... it's an Avery thing.

Edited by Cicada, 24 March 2007 - 07:50 AM.

IPB Image

#23 discohadestwo

discohadestwo

4th Line Grinder

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:54 AM

I like the Minnesota Wild.
Minnesota is just a place that I think needs a hockey team. I was so pissed went the North Stars went from MINNESOTA to DALLAS. WTF?

That & my uncle lives in Minnesota. That's the only family I have out of state. So, it seems right.

I really like their colors & jerseys, too.

I just wish Gaborik would quit getting injured.
He's underrated because of it, & rightfully so I guess.

QUOTE(reyalp @ March 24, 2007 - 07:48AM) View Post

Every original 6 team, just because they're all sweet no matter what.

Chicago? blink.gif

tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

#24 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:03 AM

My second favorite team changes depending on the year.

It's either the team that loses tous in the Finals, or the team that beats the team that beat us.

Which is why 1995 was a hard offseason, right up until March 1996 when New Jersey choked its playoff spot away.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#25 superstarsingh

superstarsingh

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:28 AM

Any team that causes trouble for the Leafs. So as of right now, Ottawa and Buffalo. smile.gif

#26 Zetter is Better

Zetter is Better

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:46 AM

The Senators, because (I`m from Ottawa and I was a Sens fan before seeing the light and being converted to a Wings fan biggrin.gif ) and because the Sens are a strong team that are always the underdogs in the play-offs.

I`m also liking the the baby Pens. They have come a long way since last season and Crosby is a skilled player.
IPB Image
>>[DragonForce]<<

#27 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:54 AM

I've always liked Buffalo in the East. I'm only an hour away, so I know what's going on with the Sabers as well as the Red Wings. I've been to 3 games in Buffalo, and I really like the atmosphere at the HSBC Arena. I think Detroit and Buffalo have a lot of similarities as cities (border town, blue collar workers, etc.) and fans, so I've just kind of naturally followed them as well.

Plus, since I can't stand the Leafs, the Sabers always are Leaf killers. So I really like that. laugh.gif
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#28 mooose kiiisses

mooose kiiisses

you have to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:15 AM

NY Rangers... Brendan Shanahan. enough said.

Red Wings are still my number one though.
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

#29 FischersChick2

FischersChick2

Czecher

• PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:19 AM

Any of the Canadian teams.

But most def. wings fan first.

#30 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,525 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:25 AM

Besides the Wings, I like Buffalo, I've followed them for many years. In the West, San Jose and probably Dallas as a third team, since I live closest to them I get more information on them than other teams. Which is not that much. Texas is all about football and basketball. We have to work hard to be hockey fans here. tongue.gif

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#31 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:46 AM

Wow, there's a lot of people here who like the Sabres in the East. As mentioned, I think Buffalo and Detroit have a lot of similarities.

I wonder if Sabre fans like the Wings in the West.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#32 MargaritavilleRedWinger

MargaritavilleRedWinger

Jr. Prospect

• 24 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:03 AM

I would have to say the Maple Leafs.When they moved to the East,it made it a lot easier to root for them.I used to work with a guy that was related to Darcy Tucker.
I am starting to follow Buffalo a lot lately.I'm not sure,I think it was Miller's last year at MSU,but we sat behind State's net at the CCHA championship game.I was really impressed by Ryan Miller,so he's probably my favorite non-Wings,non-Leafs player.

#33 ZatasGirl40

ZatasGirl40

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:20 AM

Besides the wings....Dallas Stars baby biggrin.gif
I love Modano and Turco and I really like their jerseys.
My aunt got me into them years ago when Modano first started playing cuz she worked for them and got me this huge personalized autograph pic of him.

#34 grsbmd

grsbmd

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:38 AM

Last year during the playoffs I was a big buffalo fan mostly because Versus/NBC would never even mention how well they were doing when they were one of the best in the east.

I've always liked Atlanta though. I like their young players.
Stanley Cup to Detroit (e5)

#35 96Homer

96Homer

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:20 PM

Other than the Wings I like the devils because of what they have accomplished. I REALLY enjoyed watching the series they had for the cup between the ducks. THAT was very memorable for me!
Check out my art on Zazzle

#36 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:55 PM

For me it's the Penguins. Always kinda liked them starting in high school when it seemed like every year they were making the playoffs and scoring upsets against the odds. Always liked Mario too. And the new version of the Pens is fun too, I think Crosby is the real deal. If the Wings aren't in the Cup Finals, for me to root for a team from the West would depend a lot on who's playing from the East, but I'd root for the Pens against anyone.

After the Pens would be the Thrashers. Kovalchuk is fun to watch.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#37 VladyIBELIEVE16

VladyIBELIEVE16

Your Red Wings Nation West President

• HoF Booster
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:00 PM

My second favorite team to the Red Wings are the Boston Bruins - why - I was born there and my family was huge on Bobby Orr...

Numbah FOOUUURR BOBBY ORRRR. I cant tell you how many times I heard that in my parents house or watched that VHS tape (even though I never saw Orr play live - too young).. LOL

My heart belongs to O6 teams what can I say! smile.gif
Don't worry about losing. If it's right, it happens. The main thing is not to hurry. Nothing good gets away. Steinbeck
Dance is nothing until it's on a beautiful body - Wade Robson
What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
In life as in the dance: Grace glides on blistered feet. - Alice Abrams

#38 Chunkylover

Chunkylover

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:47 PM

My second favorite team would probably be Nashville. They have been our closest rivals for the last few seasons since any given night they could come in our house and beat us. Columbus is just so pathetic you can't help but give them pity support, like a stray cat that walks up to your front door during a thunderstorm.

Beyond that I have a somewhat complex criteria for determining a favorite while in the midst of the season.

Firstly I root for the Wings, then the Central division. If two Central teams are playing, i.e. Nashville and Chicago, I'll typically root for whoever is the underdog in the situation. However when the 'Hawks were owning us last year I usually wanted them to lose (Mmmmm, spite) this way the Wings are always putting distance between themselves and the second place team.

After that I usually root against whoever the prognosticators have anointed the presumptive champs. Two years ago that was the Ducks and last year the Sharks. Last year because the Ducks were out of favor I actually rooted for them against the Sharks (congratulations universe, you win.)

I usually respect those teams who have been good for a while, and were rivals. For instance I like the Devils because they've maintained success. I like the Avs and to a lesser extent the Stars because those are the rivalries I grew up with.

Other teams I like are the Senators and Sabres for their historic underdoggedness and fast-pace games; Boston's another perpetual underdog. The Southeast teams are usually always underdogs but they are all so boring. I don't respect Carolina or Tampa because they have shown themselves to be flukes as far as Cup winning franchises (and if the darn Flamers and Oilers hadn't beat us we'd have crushed them in the Final).

Many times I'll just cheer against teams like Calgary, San Jose, Anaheim, and the Rangers, also known as Melrose's Favorites.

In a playoff situation I go for Central, West, Underdog (unless they were the ones to knock off the Wings). The Original Six teams also get some love in the playoff stretch because it would be awesome for all of them to make it.

#39 daniel1

daniel1

#40 - UNSTOPPABLE

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:15 PM

Holy Crap! Who dug this thread out of the cellar from Mrch 07? It's like watching Classic Games on ESPN; Avery with the Rangers, Drury with the Sabres, Penguins "could" become a good team, lol. My second favorite team is anyone who is playing the Leafs and beats them. I love watching the Leafs lose just to hear the "blame everyone else" stance that the Toronto/Canadian media take after the game. It's never that the Leafs players just plain suck (which they do), it's always about the reffing, or the incredibly lucky bounces the other team received, or the illegal goalie equipment the other team used. Harry Neale was the worst one for this kind of homeristic bulls***. If I had to pick another team that I would like to see do well other than the Wings I guess it would be Calgary cause I like the city and I think Iginla is awesome and wish he would be traded to the Wings someday. Phaneuf plays a great game but by all accounts around Calgary he's a dick so it makes it a little tougher to like him. That and the fact that he's dating my soon-to-be-fiance (even if she doesn't know it yet, lol) kinda makes me wish he'd get traded to the Leafs so it would be that much easier to hate him.
"And? If I did, I probably would have been a fighter, so what?"

Who knows; maybe you would realize that enforcers in hockey are critical to a teams chemistry and overall success?

#40 Chunkylover

Chunkylover

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:20 PM

Well, I didn't want to start a new thread and have someone say, "This is like the eighty-hundredth thread about this topic," so I thought I'd look for an older one.

I remember when the Leafs were moved to the East and my Dad was unhappy about it, but I don't really remember much of our rivalry with them. They've been pretty insignificant since then so it's hard to care about them. It would have been so awesome if they'd have beaten the Hurricanes in '02.

Edit: And Iginla is awesome. He should sign a one-year contract with the Wings after his contract is up to win the Cup a la Lucky Luc.

Edited by Chunkylover, 16 August 2008 - 02:22 PM.