• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
theman19

alexander daigle

Rate this topic

Actually no, Daigle wasnt the better player.

First 4 NHL seasons of their career:

Daigle 263gp, 156 pts (or .593pts per game)

Lecavalier- 306gp, 183pts (or .598 pts per game)

Vinny had 81 goals (or .264 per), while Daigle had 67 (or .254 per).

Just sayin'....

Daigle put up comparable numbers. Vinny played first line with guys like Prospal, Richards, Modin while Daigle played second line with guys like Turgeon, McLlwain, and Cunneyworth.

Daigle often put up 50% or mor of his line's point total. Lecavalier often was not the highest scorer ON HIS LINE. Daigle was easily better in the respective first four seasons. At both ends, in fact.

okay let me just read you what the card says

"Mario Lemieux. Mike Bossy. Guy lafleur. Choose your own yard stick by which to measure Daigle's dominance of the Quebec Major Junior league in 92-93. Daigle was in a class by himself as pro scouts showed up daily to watch him at work and at play. He netted 68 points in his first 19 games and fans began comparing him to lemieux who has the QMJHL record of 282 points. though scouts loved his production. they also love th emanner in which he scored. "he's a little cocky. but most of the best are." said Hartford general manager Brian Burke. Ottawa officals were smitten as he tore through QMJHL opponents. I've seen a great many hockey players over my 30 years in the NHL said John ferguson "a guy like daigle only comes along once in a great while"

Daigle put up comparable numbers. Vinny played first line with guys like Prospal, Richards, Modin while Daigle played second line with guys like Turgeon, McLlwain, and Cunneyworth.

Daigle often put up 50% or mor of his line's point total. Lecavalier often was not the highest scorer ON HIS LINE. Daigle was easily better in the respective first four seasons. At both ends, in fact.

Bear in mind that guys like Richards and Modin were fairly young, like Vinny, at that time period. They were also developing.

Daigle was playing on a line with already developed players, one of them was a superstar with the Islanders and Buffalo (I assume you are talking about Pierre Turgeon, no?). If you aren't then I guess it's a different story. But I doubt you are. Guys like Ryan Cunneyworth have also been formidable goal scorers throughout his career, so it's not like Daigle was playing with fourth line grinders that would score one goal every 60 games.

Edited by Kp-Wings

I remember Daigle being very highly touted, but I honestly do not remember why so high. Before Crosby came into the NHL, everyone had comments that he could be the next Daigle, but I never really got that as Crosby's junior career was much more dominant than Daigle.

Even in this thread, some mention Daigle junior records. Does he really have any records?? He never lead the league in scoring, so I am not sure what records he would hold, not saying he doesn't have any.

Just a quick comparison:

Daigle:

17 years old - 8th in scoring with 110pts (leader had 138 and total of 10 guys with 100+ pts)

18 years old - 3rd in scoring with 137pts (leader had 148 and total of 12 guys with 100+pts)

Crosby:

16 years old - 1st in scoring with 135pts (2nd had 117 and total of 2 guys with 100+ pts)

17 years old - 1st in scoring with 168pts (2nd had 116 and total of 4 guys with 100+pts)

I don't even think Crosby really set any records.....what records did Daigle set?

Bear in mind that guys like Richards and Modin were fairly young, like Vinny, at that time period. They were also developing.

Daigle was playing on a line with already developed players, one of them was a superstar with the Islanders and Buffalo (I assume you are talking about Pierre Turgeon, no?). If you aren't then I guess it's a different story. But I doubt you are. Guys like Ryan Cunneyworth have also been formidable goal scorers throughout his career, so it's not like Daigle was playing with fourth line grinders that would score one goal every 60 games.

That was Sylvain Turgeon. And Sylvain put up 30 to 45 goals while playing with good linemates. Doesn't really matter though, because Eva left out some players who have had good seasons that Daigle played with throughout his first four years, like Daniel Alfredsson, Marty Straka, Pavol Demitra (even though he hadn't really broken out yet, he's skilled), and Shawn McEachern. Cunneyworth put up twenty to thirty a few times in his career, too.

Maybe a case could be made that Daigle had a little contribution to why his linemates weren't scoring in bunches? Daigle couldn't make the players around him better, which he was supposed to be able to do. That was one reason why he was drafted first overall.

And Dan Cleary, while a bust from his draft status, is still in the league as an above average grinder on an elite team. Daigle can't even stay in the league. Who's the bigger bust?

Edited by CloudConnected

I remember Daigle being very highly touted, but I honestly do not remember why so high. Before Crosby came into the NHL, everyone had comments that he could be the next Daigle, but I never really got that as Crosby's junior career was much more dominant than Daigle.

Even in this thread, some mention Daigle junior records. Does he really have any records?? He never lead the league in scoring, so I am not sure what records he would hold, not saying he doesn't have any.

Just a quick comparison:

Daigle:

17 years old - 8th in scoring with 110pts (leader had 138 and total of 10 guys with 100+ pts)

18 years old - 3rd in scoring with 137pts (leader had 148 and total of 12 guys with 100+pts)

Crosby:

16 years old - 1st in scoring with 135pts (2nd had 117 and total of 2 guys with 100+ pts)

17 years old - 1st in scoring with 168pts (2nd had 116 and total of 4 guys with 100+pts)

I don't even think Crosby really set any records.....what records did Daigle set?

68 points in 19 games is a good one

68 points in 19 games is a good one

Good stat, but not a record. Do you think they really keep a record of most points in 19 games? Even if they did, I'm sure Lemieux would have done much better than that since he scored 282pts in 70 games his last year of junior, which would have averaged 77pts for each 19 game interval.