32 replies to this topic

#21 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE(Detroit # 1 Fan @ March 25, 2007 - 01:15AM) View Post

You couldve brought up alot more players that were busts , but you chose a Red Wing , having a great year , who is a fan favorite. Classy.

Daigle was touted more highly then Lindros , and dissapointed way worse then Lindros.

You want to compare Daigle to somone , how about Pat Faloon , 2nd or 3rd overall by the NYI , never did a freakin thing

I brought up Cleary because people on here seem to think that because he had a good first half that he is going to be a 20-30 goal scorer for several more years, rather than the defensive grinder he is.

Saying Falloon, who was a much bigger bust than Daigle, wouldn't have made my point. Cleary was supposed to be an offensive player and never came close, and he's not considered a bust.

Also..Daigle was not more highly touted than Lindros. Lindros was as clear a number oen as Crosby or Ovechkin. There was argument as to whether Daigle was even the best prospect available when he was picked.

Want a bust? Try Ryan Sittler. THERE's a bust. Drafted 7th overall by the Flyers, and never dressed for an NHL game.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#22 Lou_Siffer

Lou_Siffer

1 more win and im diggin' in!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:48 AM

Daigle and Cleary were (are) both busts....but Daigle is the obviously the bigger one.
Aaron Downey tally = 4 Wins (Mclaren, PARROS, *Laperriere*, Wisniewski) - 1 L (**Boll**) - 5 Draws (Walker, Fedoruk, Davison, Shelley, O'Donnell)

(* = beatdown) (** = at the end of a shift)

Preseason prediction - Anaheim over Philadelphia in 6 (ok, well i'll settle for one right...)

#23 Systemfel

Systemfel

-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE(WingMachine91 @ March 25, 2007 - 06:41AM) View Post
who drafted daigle? and who went after him in the draft?
Chris Pronger was the #2 pick that year.

#24 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE(theman19 @ March 25, 2007 - 03:50AM) View Post
i'm totally aware of when, by who, and what was expected of daigle, therein i started the topic and did some research,...my point in all this is why does daigle have high expectation and plays like crap, but say,.....sidney crosby has same expectation (a little less believe it or not) and does in fact not play like crap.

Crosby had way more expectations than Daigle.

Daigle was labeled as the next superstar....but Crosby was labeled as the next Gretzky, and the man who would break gretzky's records. Daigle never had that (except by Ottawa).

Crosby also had teammates to work with. As bad as Pittsburgh was, they weren't an expansion team and had some good players to help Crosby adjust.

The only skilled teammate Daigle had was fellow rookie Alexei Yashin. That would be akin to Pittsburgh replacing their first three lines of players with guys who should be on the fourth line, dumping Gonchar, and Crosby and Malkin playing on the same team as rookies. Crosby is better than Daigle ever was, but you have to remember that the highest point total any linemate of Daigle ever had in his CAREER was Randy Cunneyworth's 36 in 1997. Crosby had two linemates break that mark in half-seasons in his rookie year.

A better comparison for Daigle is Vincent Lecavalier. Daigle was the better player for the first four years of their respective careers, and expectations were similar. The difference? After that four year period, Daigle was dumped off as a 'bust' while Vinny thrived with several teammates of comparable or greater skill.

#25 Lou_Siffer

Lou_Siffer

1 more win and im diggin' in!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE(eva unit zero @ March 25, 2007 - 09:54AM) View Post

A better comparison for Daigle is Vincent Lecavalier. Daigle was the better player for the first four years of their respective careers, and expectations were similar. The difference? After that four year period, Daigle was dumped off as a 'bust' while Vinny thrived with several teammates of comparable or greater skill.

Actually no, Daigle wasnt the better player.

First 4 NHL seasons of their career:

Daigle 263gp, 156 pts (or .593pts per game)
Lecavalier- 306gp, 183pts (or .598 pts per game)

Vinny had 81 goals (or .264 per), while Daigle had 67 (or .254 per).

Just sayin'....
Aaron Downey tally = 4 Wins (Mclaren, PARROS, *Laperriere*, Wisniewski) - 1 L (**Boll**) - 5 Draws (Walker, Fedoruk, Davison, Shelley, O'Donnell)

(* = beatdown) (** = at the end of a shift)

Preseason prediction - Anaheim over Philadelphia in 6 (ok, well i'll settle for one right...)

#26 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE(Lou_Siffer @ March 25, 2007 - 11:21AM) View Post

Actually no, Daigle wasnt the better player.

First 4 NHL seasons of their career:

Daigle 263gp, 156 pts (or .593pts per game)
Lecavalier- 306gp, 183pts (or .598 pts per game)

Vinny had 81 goals (or .264 per), while Daigle had 67 (or .254 per).

Just sayin'....

Daigle put up comparable numbers. Vinny played first line with guys like Prospal, Richards, Modin while Daigle played second line with guys like Turgeon, McLlwain, and Cunneyworth.

Daigle often put up 50% or mor of his line's point total. Lecavalier often was not the highest scorer ON HIS LINE. Daigle was easily better in the respective first four seasons. At both ends, in fact.

#27 theman19

theman19

#40 Mobile suit Zeta, the new red comet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:28 AM

okay let me just read you what the card says

"Mario Lemieux. Mike Bossy. Guy lafleur. Choose your own yard stick by which to measure Daigle's dominance of the Quebec Major Junior league in 92-93. Daigle was in a class by himself as pro scouts showed up daily to watch him at work and at play. He netted 68 points in his first 19 games and fans began comparing him to lemieux who has the QMJHL record of 282 points. though scouts loved his production. they also love th emanner in which he scored. "he's a little cocky. but most of the best are." said Hartford general manager Brian Burke. Ottawa officals were smitten as he tore through QMJHL opponents. I've seen a great many hockey players over my 30 years in the NHL said John ferguson "a guy like daigle only comes along once in a great while"

#28 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:01 AM

The transition from being a boy to becoming a man makes a hge difference

#29 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:20 AM

QUOTE(eva unit zero @ March 25, 2007 - 11:33AM) View Post

Daigle put up comparable numbers. Vinny played first line with guys like Prospal, Richards, Modin while Daigle played second line with guys like Turgeon, McLlwain, and Cunneyworth.

Daigle often put up 50% or mor of his line's point total. Lecavalier often was not the highest scorer ON HIS LINE. Daigle was easily better in the respective first four seasons. At both ends, in fact.

Bear in mind that guys like Richards and Modin were fairly young, like Vinny, at that time period. They were also developing.

Daigle was playing on a line with already developed players, one of them was a superstar with the Islanders and Buffalo (I assume you are talking about Pierre Turgeon, no?). If you aren't then I guess it's a different story. But I doubt you are. Guys like Ryan Cunneyworth have also been formidable goal scorers throughout his career, so it's not like Daigle was playing with fourth line grinders that would score one goal every 60 games.

Edited by Kp-Wings, 26 March 2007 - 05:21 AM.

#30 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:15 AM

I remember Daigle being very highly touted, but I honestly do not remember why so high. Before Crosby came into the NHL, everyone had comments that he could be the next Daigle, but I never really got that as Crosby's junior career was much more dominant than Daigle.

Even in this thread, some mention Daigle junior records. Does he really have any records?? He never lead the league in scoring, so I am not sure what records he would hold, not saying he doesn't have any.

Just a quick comparison:

Daigle:

17 years old - 8th in scoring with 110pts (leader had 138 and total of 10 guys with 100+ pts)
18 years old - 3rd in scoring with 137pts (leader had 148 and total of 12 guys with 100+pts)

Crosby:

16 years old - 1st in scoring with 135pts (2nd had 117 and total of 2 guys with 100+ pts)
17 years old - 1st in scoring with 168pts (2nd had 116 and total of 4 guys with 100+pts)

I don't even think Crosby really set any records.....what records did Daigle set?

#31 CloudConnected

CloudConnected

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE(Kp-Wings @ March 26, 2007 - 06:20AM) View Post

Bear in mind that guys like Richards and Modin were fairly young, like Vinny, at that time period. They were also developing.

Daigle was playing on a line with already developed players, one of them was a superstar with the Islanders and Buffalo (I assume you are talking about Pierre Turgeon, no?). If you aren't then I guess it's a different story. But I doubt you are. Guys like Ryan Cunneyworth have also been formidable goal scorers throughout his career, so it's not like Daigle was playing with fourth line grinders that would score one goal every 60 games.

That was Sylvain Turgeon. And Sylvain put up 30 to 45 goals while playing with good linemates. Doesn't really matter though, because Eva left out some players who have had good seasons that Daigle played with throughout his first four years, like Daniel Alfredsson, Marty Straka, Pavol Demitra (even though he hadn't really broken out yet, he's skilled), and Shawn McEachern. Cunneyworth put up twenty to thirty a few times in his career, too.

Maybe a case could be made that Daigle had a little contribution to why his linemates weren't scoring in bunches? Daigle couldn't make the players around him better, which he was supposed to be able to do. That was one reason why he was drafted first overall.

And Dan Cleary, while a bust from his draft status, is still in the league as an above average grinder on an elite team. Daigle can't even stay in the league. Who's the bigger bust?

Edited by CloudConnected, 26 March 2007 - 09:49 AM.

#32 theman19

theman19

#40 Mobile suit Zeta, the new red comet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE(toby91_ca @ March 26, 2007 - 10:15AM) View Post

I remember Daigle being very highly touted, but I honestly do not remember why so high. Before Crosby came into the NHL, everyone had comments that he could be the next Daigle, but I never really got that as Crosby's junior career was much more dominant than Daigle.

Even in this thread, some mention Daigle junior records. Does he really have any records?? He never lead the league in scoring, so I am not sure what records he would hold, not saying he doesn't have any.

Just a quick comparison:

Daigle:

17 years old - 8th in scoring with 110pts (leader had 138 and total of 10 guys with 100+ pts)
18 years old - 3rd in scoring with 137pts (leader had 148 and total of 12 guys with 100+pts)

Crosby:

16 years old - 1st in scoring with 135pts (2nd had 117 and total of 2 guys with 100+ pts)
17 years old - 1st in scoring with 168pts (2nd had 116 and total of 4 guys with 100+pts)

I don't even think Crosby really set any records.....what records did Daigle set?

68 points in 19 games is a good one

#33 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE(theman19 @ March 26, 2007 - 01:25PM) View Post

68 points in 19 games is a good one

Good stat, but not a record. Do you think they really keep a record of most points in 19 games? Even if they did, I'm sure Lemieux would have done much better than that since he scored 282pts in 70 games his last year of junior, which would have averaged 77pts for each 19 game interval.