• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NorthDakotaWingsFan

Playoff traditions

Rate this topic

Here in Ottawa all the kids make signs that say "Honk for the Sens" and stand on the street decked out in Sens gear and people go honking like crazy. I went out with a "Honk for the Wings" sign. I got lots of honks (from the Leafs fans) <_<:)

hahahahaha :lol::lol:

Here in Ottawa all the kids make signs that say "Honk for the Sens" and stand on the street decked out in Sens gear and people go honking like crazy. I went out with a "Honk for the Wings" sign. I got lots of honks (from the Leafs fans) <_<:)

Priceless :lol:

How about last year in game 1 against Edmonton in the OTs. Every shot on goal for both teams my heart stopped :crazy: . I think that happens to everyone though, right? :unsure::blink: ???

Ohh yes I'm pretty sure it happens to everyone. It's quite scary and exciting! haha

Sadly, because of my job and the fact I have to look professional, the playoff beard is a no go :(

I'm a playoff beard guy, and I tried to ride the fence last year as a concession to my employer--I shaved the neck and just grew it on the front of my face. Didn't work obviously. This year, I'm saying screw it and going all out with it. I've saved up enough goodwill that I can blow some of it on something important like this.

On game day I will always wear a Red Wings article of clothing, jersey, sweatshirt, t-shirt, ect. And I've been told I turn into a different person when hockey playoffs start. (This was said by a couple of the football coaches that I work with...apparently girls aren't supposed to be psychotic about hockey??) I'm insanely defensive (especially since I now live in Minnesota, self-proclaimed "state of hockey"), and I will defend the Wings to the bitter end and then even after that! Also, like most of you have already said, I have frequent anxiety attacks and I'm usually nervous all day before a game.

I'm a VERY talkative person. But during the playoffs, on game day, I become weirdly quiet and distracted. And my mom's like :rolleyes: oh yeah there's a game tonight. It's funny b/c if someone is at our house I can't talk to them and my mom's like, not today...there's a game. :ph34r:

I'm funny.

I'm a VERY talkative person. But during the playoffs, on game day, I become weirdly quiet and distracted. And my mom's like :rolleyes: oh yeah there's a game tonight. It's funny b/c if someone is at our house I can't talk to them and my mom's like, not today...there's a game. :ph34r:

I'm funny.

i think i had a case of that today about 30 mins before the ducks game, my gf was cooking me and my roomate dinner, and i was jsut kinda sitting at my computer dazing and completely silent probably thinking about the red wings, she thought i was about to pass out or something :lol:

I'm funny.

Haha I am the EXACT same way. In fact I yell at anyone who dare talks during games. It's funny because my relatives know NOT to come over during game days because I won't have any of it. It's like everyone is silent during commercials but when the game is on everyone talks and I get pissed! I'm always all "Can you guys pleas be quiet they are on a power play! GEEZ!" Full concentration is on the boys in red and white and that's how it will always go. Of course though if they wanted to come watch with me and the fam and be quiet then im all for it.

When we score though..the house is absolutely CRAZY!

Edited by hockeycrazy3033

Well I make sure to watch the game. I grow a playoff beard, not that I can gow one. I NEVER cut my hair into a mullet again and colored it red again...Not that I did then either...lol

P.S. I like that cigar tradition, that was first mentioned...

OH YES, and best of all was that I split up with my ex 1 week before the 2002 season ended, and eventually divorced .

I will never marry again so I am willing to share this tradition with as many people who could use it. IT SURE HELPED...

Edited by Production Line

Haha I am the EXACT same way. In fact I yell at anyone who dare talks during games. It's funny because my relatives know NOT to come over during game days because I won't have any of it. It's like everyone is silent during commercials but when the game is on everyone talks and I get pissed! I'm always all "Can you guys pleas be quiet they are on a power play! GEEZ!" Full concentration is on the boys in red and white and that's how it will always go. Of course though if they wanted to come watch with me and the fam and be quiet then im all for it.

When we score though..the house is absolutely CRAZY!

Wow...that is EXACTLY...like, ditto...of what happens at my house. And I get all annoyed at my fam b/c NOW they want to watch hockey with me. Where were they all year? And I haaaaate when they're like, who's number 51? I'm like...you can ask me at intermission :angry: Reem...you and I are the same! :lol:

As a rule, I only wear Red Wings clothes on game days. While doing this doesn't guarantee victory, if I don't adhere to the tradition, it is certain doom.

Case in point. 02 Playoffs, the thought slipped my mind, and I wore my Hull jersey the day before Game 1 vs the Nucks. Result? Wings lose 4-3 in OT. And then, same year, I was rather forced to wear my Hullie jersey again 2 days before game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals (on a cruise for vacation, and literally had only my jersey & undershirt or a business suit left), and the Wings lost game 3-2 in OT against the Canes.

So, no Wings gear on non gamedays. Period. I also have a bit of a minor tradition, in that I try not to listen to musicians that are from the area of the team we play against (i.e., Can't listen to Metallica if we play San Jose, etc), but that's just more of a passive thing.

Edited by Jedi

i will not wear red on game day until the game, then i put on my red wings jersey.

i have to have everyone else around me silent so then i can yell at the tv. in 02' i had graduation on the day we won the cup and the whole first period i was listening to on a portable radio at my graduation until i finally got home so i keep a pair of head phones in my pocket. yeah i know its a little wierd but it's my tradition.

I just stay up for every game,regardless if it's broadcasted here or not.

I was so tired after the last time we won the Stanley Cup,I basically slept only every other night.

But I loved every second-same again please! :)

I buy red and white candles and light em up before each game. If the Wings are on the PK I hold the candle in my hand..until it's over and they successfuly killed it. A bit crazzay eh?

Yes.

For my part, I go to the bar for every playoff game and try to get other people fired up about it. Sometimes I get really pissed too because other people talk to me about mundane bulls*** during a game, or people want to hear music instead of game audio (I only go to bars that will have game audio).

I also drive to Detroit if there is a chance they will win the Cup that night. So far I am 3 for 3 in that department, they've never won a Cup (during my lifetime) when I haven't driven to Detroit.

Any and every item with a Wings logo in my house comes out of storage and is put to good use/gathered around the tv - including: foam finger, playoff pom poms, flags, banner, car flag, fuzzy dice, car air freshener, bumper sticker, mouse pad, computer wallpaper, screensaver, cell phone wallpaper, bobbleheads, stool, Rally Al (the stuffed octopus), socks, undies, t-shirts, sweatshirts, jerseys, pin...

Guest GordieSid&Ted

So now the Wings have officially made the playoffs. With the playoffs come playoff traditions. For my friends and me we have a tradition of buying a playoff cigar when our team makes the playoffs and smoking the cigar when our team exits or wins the cup. This tradition holds a special meaning for me. The first year I did this tradition, the Wings won the cup in the 2002 playoffs.

I have continued ever since. So I was thinking about this the other day and was wondering, what traditions do you follow? I am interested to see what it is we all do.

I'm very superstitious come playoff time. First, I put on my Wings jersey my wife bought me with my name and number on it. I have to get the jersey on prior to the drop of the puck. I don't take the jersey off until after the game has ended or during intermissions.

I've been doing this since we won our 97 cup and basically if I don't get it done or if i'm unable to watch the game because i'm playing softball or something else we almost inevitably lose those games. I haven't kept an accurate record but I think we're probably winning about 60% of the time when I can follow thru and losing about 70% of the time when i'm unable to watch.

So, basically i'm very superstitious and am very distraught even before the game starts if I know i'm not going to be able to go thru with my ritual.

Put it this way, as soon as we lose our first playoff game, ask me if I was at home watching with my jersey on and the answer will prolly be no.

I will wear my Canucks jersey every day there is a playoff game, washing it on the off days of course! :D

So...anybody in the Toledo area see a Canucks jersey walkin around...its me!

I'll tackle you if I see you. :P

Well I have this red rubber octopus that I throw towards the tv every time the wings score or win, but a couple years ago my girlfriend had gotten me a yellow one, and I saved it for the playoffs. Now it sits on my shelf waiting for playoff season.