• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

poxer

Toledo Storm!

Rate this topic

Anyone else see that game last night? Freaking nuts!! Captain, Oh Captain Maleyko, scored the game winner in OT with 11 seconds left after a penalty was called (delayed). Everyone was up screaming and cheering. Regardless what happens I like the Storm, not the arena.

So far I've heard that the Toledo Mud Hens, baseball team for those who don't know, are buying them out and basically making the team fold. They are going to change the name and put them into the new Ice Arena, hopefully it gets built soon. I can't wait till it's built because it sounds like its going to be sweet and it will bring people back into Toledo because the Mud Hens can only do so much. Anyone else have thoughts?

I watched that game the other night on bcsn. Awesome game to say the least.

As for whats going on with the team this is news to me. They said something during the telecast and it through me off. The commentators just said that it still was up in the air as to what was gonna happen next year with the team.

I had no idea they were being sold or whatever again. I know a few years ago Barry Soskin or whatever his name is had to buy the team back just to keep them afloat. As for what would happen if there was no Toledo hockey it would be a sad sad day.

Hey there. Glad to see some other Toledo citizens here. I haven't been able to make it out to many games this year but I try catch them when they're on BCSN.

Edit: I didn't know about the team's current state either. Back in Cincinnati (my hometown) hockey is about as popular as badminton, even though we have the Cyclones. Toledo needs to keep its hockey atmosphere alive.

Edited by Wings_Toledo

dont like the idea of them changing the name......

are we still going to have an ECHL team here in toledo..... or will it be AHL?

i kinda like having the fact that a few years ago ..... we were watching bootland, Ellis, and joey mac play here in toledo...

now they play in NHL games......

folding the team will hurt the city

look at old ned skeldon stadium.....NOBODY EVER WENT TO MUD HENS GAMES...

they get a new stadium downtown.....EVERY GAME IS JAM PACKED

thats exactly how it will be when the new arena is built....... only nobody will recognize the "New Team"

My roommate is an intern with the Storm and he said that they are folding the team, there wont be a new team next year and they are bringing in an AHL team into the new arena I guess. I know that Cleveland is getting a new ECHL team called the Lake Erie Monsters. :lol:

I know that Cleveland is getting a new ECHL team called the Lake Erie Monsters.

Actually the Lake Erie Monsters are going to be a new AHL team, sad but not surprising given the long history of Cleveland trying to support a team in the AHL/IHL/NHL. They are going to become Colorado's primary affiliate.

As for the Toledo situation, I don't know much about it. I live in Illinois, but I have heard on numerous occasions over the last few years that the Storm may fold because they haven't been able to get a new arena. I know the rink is old when my dad tried out for a Toledo back in his 20's, now he is over 50, at the Toledo Sports Arena.

I know that Toledo needs a new arena. It will help Toledo's local economy, not to mention it will probably bring more people to the home games. Toledo is currently ranked 14th in the ECHL for attendance, which is about 4000 per game. This is about 100 less then the league average. So they aren't doing too bad but with a new arena and possibly having better publicity, via radio, tv, internet, etc., this could very easily go above the average and more than likely be in the top five or ten.

I don't think the team should fold for one or more seasons waiting for a new arena to be built. Reason being delays could happen and become overwhelming to the point that the ECHL may drop them. While these teams never actually folded to build a new arena, but rather never played because of arena issues (Gulf Coast Swords and Ontario, California [no nickname]). I am worried such a thing could happen in Toledo, and I know Toledo has a long standing and a pretty good reputation for hockey. I think instead while building a new arena, unless their going to build the arena in the same place as where the one is now (highly unlikely given the fact that I have seen numerous times where they wanted to build a rink in another part of town), they should continue to play in the Sports Arena. Have a year or mopre off could abandon some of the fan base you already have and we know the fans are going to have to help pay for the new arena and maintenance on it.

As for the team name i think it should stay the Storm if Detroit continues to have them as their affiliate. Ever since Detroit has had an affiliation with a team in Toledo its always been the Storm, so why change it.

First of all, this past weekend the Storm played some strong games against their division rivals and got 4 points out of it while only giving up one - there is a chance that they may still make the playoffs, if they can just keep it going a while longer.

I support the Storm as a team, but the TSA is an awful place to watch a hockey game. IIRC, the size of the ice surface isn't even up to current regualtions. Ideally, I would prefer it if they just got a new arena and continued to be a Red Wings affiliate, for obvious reasons. Still, if we must get a new (AHL) team in order to get the arena done I'm OK with that. The point about the Hens rings true in this situation.

In my experience, support of hockey in Toledo is only growing more popular all the time - especially what with St. John's winning the state HS championship earlier this month and some recent additions/updates of local rinks in the last several years. Not to mention a good deal of coverage on local hockey from BCSN.

With any luck, hockey will continue to grow and Toledo will continue to host a competitive pro franchise for years to come (in some form or another).

For what it's worth, you should've seen the turnout for the cup after the Wings won it in '02 - one of the Red Wings staffers is from Toledo, and brought the Stanley Cup to the TSA for anybody who was interested to see it - the place was packed for the entire day with a line wrapped around the outside of the building just for a chance to see the cup in person. Alot of the folks there were hockey faithful to begin with, but the casual observers were impressed by the fanatical dedication of hockey fans in the glass city. Just one more reason for me to suport the Red Wings organization season after season....

I know for a fact that the Storm will make the playoffs but I'm not sure how far they are going because all of their players are in GR while GR players are in Detroit. It sucks for the Storm but it is something we have to deal with.

I just want that new arena built because it would help bring money back into Toledo.

I liek the old place but i would like to see something newer. It remeinds me of the arenas you see in "slap shot" lol. But also hope they dont fold the team its some greta hockey for a cheap price and right now every seat in there is a great one. Im excited to hear they are getting a arena justy finding the right spot for it is all.. but really hope they dont fold or whatever.. plus gladieux sucks as a owner of anything, Toledo Beach Marina, and the storm!!

look at old ned skeldon stadium.....NOBODY EVER WENT TO MUD HENS GAMES...

they get a new stadium downtown.....EVERY GAME IS JAM PACKED

thats exactly how it will be when the new arena is built....... only nobody will recognize the "New Team"

I don't agree with this one bit.

It wasn't Skeldon that sucked (OK, it *did* suck, but that's not why people didn't go) -- it was the Tigers' farm system that sucked so badly. It coincidental that shortly after 5/3 Field gets built and around the time the New Shiny Factor wears off that the Tigers and Hens both got good and so they continue to draw great crowds.

Don't get me wrong -- 5/3 is a fantastic place to take in a ballgame. I just don't think it's just the field that keeps bringing the crowds in. A good Tiger farm organization has more to do with it.

And by the way -- Toledo does *not* have that great of a hockey atmosphere or sense of community. I often wonder how it is the Storm have even lasted this long. In comparison to farm teams in other cities of similar size, the Storm aren't really even on the radar in Toledo most of the time. And it's a shame, because they have some good players come through there.

But I don't know that the mythical "new downtown ice arena" is any real fix or solution for anyone, because the Hens are an integral part of everything Toledo and have been forever. The Storm aren't.

-- Primis.

While it is true that Toledo isn't exactly crazy about the Storm, they aren't really that wild about the Hens either. After all, it's only a small farm team market and most people just don't get exited about these teams in the first place comapred to their upper level affiliate teams.

That being said, you have to keep these things in perspective. I wouldn't go so far as to say that Toledo is the next hockeytown by any stretch of the imagination - but in my experience there are plenty of good hockey fans there and hockey in general only seems to be gaining in popularity throughout the area, which I am judging by virtue of activity at the local rinks & people that I have dealt with in the area that are very dedicated to the sport.

As far as the future of the Storm, or any pro hockey in Toledo, a new building *should* go a long way towards establishing a more impressive market base. Time will tell, but at this point I have to believe that there is still hope.

My roommate is an intern with the Storm and he said that they are folding the team, there wont be a new team next year and they are bringing in an AHL team into the new arena I guess. I know that Cleveland is getting a new ECHL team called the Lake Erie Monsters. :lol:

I was about to say that i dont think the new Cleveland team is the new ECHL team. Cause ive been following the new ECHL teams that are coming in and Cleveland was never mentioned. I think Myrtle Beach, a team in Florida, California and Reno, Nevada have new teams coming in the next couple years or so.

As for the team folding i still havent heard anything. I would have thought if something was rumored or said that the Toledo Blade would have picked up on it. But i checked their site yesterday and the only thing that came up was a rumor of Pat Pyluipuk was resigning.

If the team folded im not sure what would happen if they came back or not. I may not be as into it as i am now.

Anyone have any memories of watching the Storm play throughout the years?

A couple of mine are...

- I was at this game and I dont recall the exact year(i wanna say around 1996), but Toledo was playing the Jacksonville Lizard Kings in the playoffs. The game went into overtime. Toledo won the faceoff, skated around for a bit and then the player with the puck skates up the right side of the rink(the goalies left side), he fires a slap shot over the goalies right shoulder, scoring the game winner. TSA went absolutely bonkers, it was 15 seconds into OT too.

- Ive seen many many many many brawls 5 on 5, 6 on 6 brawls. But one that stands out was Toledo was playing the Louisville River Frogs. Alex Cole a Storm player had just won a fight i believe he got up and motioned to the crowd as we roared, well a River Frogs player comes out of nowhere and blind sides call shattering his jaw. Set off a big brawl to say the least. I think Cole was done for most of the season and drinking out of a straw for awhile.

Yeah, I meant to say AHL team. But thats hardly the thing. Toledo is a great place to place a team in the new arena if it is either ECHL or AHL and I also heard a rumor that if there is a new arena we would get an Arena Football team in there too. That would be so sweet! :D

Yeah, I meant to say AHL team. But thats hardly the thing. Toledo is a great place to place a team in the new arena if it is either ECHL or AHL and I also heard a rumor that if there is a new arena we would get an Arena Football team in there too. That would be so sweet! :D

Im kind of hoping its not an AHL franchise we get here. Cause then more than likely Detroit wouldnt be the new Toledo teams affiliate. And i love watching players come through Toledo and eventually play in Detroit. I remember seeing Ellis play, Bootland, and a few others as well.

I used to go to a lot of games at The Sports Arena when my kids were little.Now that they are bigger and they want to go,I don't get there very much.It's not really a nice place to take the kids.That sucks,because it's pretty affordable to go there.We had a lot of good times there during their championship years in the early 90's.The last game I went to though,there was a guy crapping in the sink in the men's bathroom.That's pretty damn nasty.Too nasty for me.I think it's probably too nasty for a lot of people.It is just a very outdated building.I think they have one of the first Zamboni's ever made.The sound system sucks.The seating sucks.The parking sucks,I had to park on the boat launch ramp at the marina behind the arena once.It would suck if the team had to fold,but they need a new building to get fans to show up.

I used to go to a lot of games at The Sports Arena when my kids were little.Now that they are bigger and they want to go,I don't get there very much.It's not really a nice place to take the kids.That sucks,because it's pretty affordable to go there.We had a lot of good times there during their championship years in the early 90's.The last game I went to though,there was a guy crapping in the sink in the men's bathroom.That's pretty damn nasty.Too nasty for me.I think it's probably too nasty for a lot of people.It is just a very outdated building.I think they have one of the first Zamboni's ever made.The sound system sucks.The seating sucks.The parking sucks,I had to park on the boat launch ramp at the marina behind the arena once.It would suck if the team had to fold,but they need a new building to get fans to show up.

I agree the bathrooms there are pretty nasty. When i do make it to a game i rarely EVER go to the bathroom. Other than that i dont think the seating is horrible, not really a bad seat in the place imo. I usually sit close anyways. And i always get good parking cause i usually get there about an hour before game time...uaually just to watch the guys warm up.

I agree the bathrooms there are pretty nasty. When i do make it to a game i rarely EVER go to the bathroom. Other than that i dont think the seating is horrible, not really a bad seat in the place imo. I usually sit close anyways. And i always get good parking cause i usually get there about an hour before game time...uaually just to watch the guys warm up.

I didn't mean that the seating was bad,that way.You are right,there isn't a bad seat in the house.Iv'e sat everywhere from the front row to the last row and you can see the ice anywhere.I meant that the seats are small,cramped,etc.I wore my white Yzerman jersey down there one night and it ended up with red paint on it from the seat.I wasn't a happy camper!

I was fortunate enough to watch games during their first two seasons before moving to CA.

Hope they're still around when I get a chance to come back and visit.

I didn't mean that the seating was bad,that way.You are right,there isn't a bad seat in the house.Iv'e sat everywhere from the front row to the last row and you can see the ice anywhere.I meant that the seats are small,cramped,etc.I wore my white Yzerman jersey down there one night and it ended up with red paint on it from the seat.I wasn't a happy camper!

Ah gotcha, yeah id be pissed to if that happened to my jersey. And your right it does get pretty cramped in there. Its why i usually buy boxed seats when i go. Since i only get to go to one or 2 games a year i just sit in those seats.

when do playoffs start?

Im not 100% sure. But their last regular season game is April 7th which is a saturday, so im thinking the following Tuesday or Wednesday.

Ah gotcha, yeah id be pissed to if that happened to my jersey. And your right it does get pretty cramped in there. Its why i usually buy boxed seats when i go. Since i only get to go to one or 2 games a year i just sit in those seats.

Im not 100% sure. But their last regular season game is April 7th which is a saturday, so im thinking the following Tuesday or Wednesday.

Right along the same lines as the NHL then