• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

timothy1997

10 Years Later: 03/26/97: Wings 6, Avs 5 (OT)

Rate this topic

Link

I can't believe it has been 10 years since the Red Wings-Avalanche brawl of 1997. This game has to go down as one of the biggest Red Wing games in history. Where we you when this happened? What are your thoughts on this game 10 years later?

For me personally, I didn't watch this game live. I didn't have PASS. I remember hearing about it after the game and set the VCR to record the game on PASS's replay the next day.

I don't think we would have won the cup that year if not for this game. This game served a purpose and I think Mike Vernon summed up the game best in this "brought the Red Wings together in time for the playoffs".

This game is definitely the best hockey game I have ever seen, start to finish.

I remember screaming at the screen when Mac had Le Turtle down. And laughing hysterically when they showed Forsberg's bloody face after the brawl.

The hits, fights, goals, the crowd, and the ending were all perfect. Greatest. Game. Ever.

It blows my mind that this happened 10 years ago today. I was only 14 and the younger Wings seemed like giants... they were back then my age now! Not only does it remind me how far I've come, but how far those guys have come too....

We didn't have cable at the time, so my mom, her boyfriend and I went to their friends' place in Plymouth. It seemed like EVERYONE in the city was watching that game! I remember eating jalepeno poppers and burning my tounge when the Wings tied it up in the 3rd. I also remember there being a lunar eclipse that night, and before OT I wished on the eclipse, "Please god, let them win this one!".

Nothing else to me tops the excitement of that game, that season. Nothing. That moment was truly magical. I'd never experienced anything like that and haven't since...

e: For the sake of nostalgia....

IPB Image

Edited by zettermaberg

It was friggin' sweet. 10 years ago... wow, another decade down a few left to go ;)

Hasek should fight Giguere just for the helluvit tonight :)

Edited by OsGOD

I remember it like it just happened yesterday.

Watched the game with a group of friends at Mr B's Spectadium in Troy. When the brawl broke out it seemed like it was in slow motion. The entire bar went nuts and we all kept screaming replay after replay.

Great stuff but man was I dragging at work the next morning.

It was friggin' sweet. 10 years ago... wow, another decade down a few left to go ;)

Hasek should fight Giguere just for the helluvit tonight :)

Well i remember what happened last time Dom came down the Ice to fight Roy, He got down there and fell right on his but! Lol

But it would be fun to c

Well i remember what happened last time Dom came down the Ice to fight Roy, He got down there and fell right on his but! Lol

But it would be fun to c

I was hoping this would give Dom the chance to redeem himself ;)

Had friends over to my house because I *knew* something was going to happen during this game.

It is still, to this day, the only time I've yelled myself hoarse watching a game at HOME.

I was not hooked on the Wings yet, I was only 11 so I have no memory of the game whatsoever. I have since seen it many times and agree that it is the best game I have seen, or perhaps the most memorable now that I have seen it.

I think the best part was Igor's rabbit punch to the back of Foppa's head. I've always hated that guy.

Oh yeah, Mac's knee to Lemieux's head when he has him up against the boards, that's awesome too!

I also watch this game fairly often

was I the only one that didn't have PASS back then?

I remember being so angry with my dad for not getting PASS like I wanted him to but he always would say "why? so you can watch all the Tiger games??"

After the game and playoff run, I convinced my dad to get me PASS only to find out that I didn't need it anymore in the 97-98 season.

Didn't see the game live since I was only 13 at the time and there weren't a lot of NHL games available for me. :( I just watched all the highlights afterwards and it was INTENSE. It was great to see the retribution on Lemieux. Luckily I was at least able to watch the finals against Philly!

Edited by FinWing

Had friends over to my house because I *knew* something was going to happen during this game.

It is still, to this day, the only time I've yelled myself hoarse watching a game at HOME.

I'm right with you. I was yelling so loud at Lemieux when he was getting pummeled. And when the OT goal was scored, I jumped around like a kid (I was one, 12.)

That was one of the rare times my parents stayed up and watched a game to completion. That rarely happens outside the playoffs, even today.

I'm right with you. I was yelling so loud at Lemieux when he was getting pummeled. And when the OT goal was scored, I jumped around like a kid (I was one, 12.)

That was one of the rare times my parents stayed up and watched a game to completion. That rarely happens outside the playoffs, even today.

I was at the game, and the intensity in the building from even before the opening tip off was amazing

Of course I watched the game but after 10 years I don't remember the channel it was on. It didn't look like it was on PASS but Fox Sports Net. Did they just run a replay of it recently?

Of course I watched the game but after 10 years I don't remember the channel it was on. It didn't look like it was on PASS but Fox Sports Net. Did they just run a replay of it recently?

it was on PASS. i have the dvd and watch it at least 2 times a year.

The biggest injustice in that game was that Dave Strader wasn't calling the game and Mickey was heading down to the tunnel for the 1st intermission interview. Mike Goldberg was HORRIBLE. He repeatedly made my ears bleed. His UFC play-by-play isn't any better today, either.

I vividly remember my friends and myself just screaming at the TV while on our feet, high-fiving and shadow-boxing while yelling expletives left and right.... Basically jumping around as if we were there. What a crazy night!

I was at the game, and the intensity in the building from even before the opening tip off was amazing

Blasphemy!