• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sean

What do we think about Bertuzzi replacing Holmstrom on the ZDH line?

Rate this topic

It seems like alot of people assume that once Zetterberg is healthy, Babcock will employ a Bertuzzi Zetterberg Datsyuk line. How do you guys feel about this? I think its not a guaranteed success, for a few reasons.

I really believe that the the ZDH line is just as dependent on Holmstrom than Datsyuk or Zetterberg. Sure, Bertuzzi might be the better all around guy, but that doesn't gurantee him to be a better fit on the ZD(B/H) line. Although on paper Bert and Holmstrom and similar players, I think Holmstrom is a near perfect fit on line.

I also worry that Bert will sort of be too big a factor, sort of like a Lidstrom/Schneider on the PP thing, you know. The ZDH seems to rely on ZD doing most of the puck work and H sort of doing the preliminaries to make sure everything goes well. Will Bert, a player used to being a primary offensive factor, be able to play this role? I think Holmstrom plays a very precise role on the line, and I don't think Bertuzzi is just a straight-away upgrade.

In sum, a better player isn't a better player everywhere. Easy to agree with but often forgotten.

I could see Babcock giving this line a shot, and regardless of its success, sticking with it for about a round of playoff-time. Hopefully he can make a quick conclusion on the matter once Z is healthy (granted, not much 'prep time'.)

In no way am I saying that ZDB is guranteed for failure. I just 1.) Have my doubts, and 2.) Fear that Babcock will force this line no matter what.

How do I feel??? :thumbup::thumbup:

We need someone out there to protect our stars... While Holms is nice infront of the net he doesn't have the stick up for teammates ability. Berts will provide the physical play AND the ability to screen

Edited by OsGOD

There is concern because Bert is a puck handler and will eat up more puck time than Homer. Some of the magic is that Dats and Hank control the puck and take the shots and Homer cleans up the rebounds.

With Bert all, 3 will control and shoot and Bert will also take his place in Homer's office in front of the goalie and hopefully pick up some rebounds.

We really can't tell what will happen until Z is back. But I think a chemistry between DZB would be more deadly than the DZH we have seen in the past few months, if that is possible.

i say put bert on the second line with calder...leave the first line like we have it when zett gets back....and if we have some fool on the other team that keeps running our stars on the first line then switch but not untill then. that first line is to good IMO to break up. and if dats keeps shooting like he is..that makes it all that much better.

Bert has already said that he has to stay out of Datysuk's way when he is on the same line. Having said that, I think it would be a great move to have Bert, Dat, and Zetter on the same line because Bert is not only a skill player but he is also a grit player with a big body that can do the same thing as Holmstrom.

Putting Holmstrom on the second line will allow him to sit out in front while Calder and Lang work the boards.

Bert has already said that he has to stay out of Datysuk's way when he is on the same line. Having said that, I think it would be a great move to have Bert, Dat, and Zetter on the same line because Bert is not only a skill player but he is also a grit player with a big body that can do the same thing as Holmstrom.

Putting Holmstrom on the second line will allow him to sit out in front while Calder and Lang work the boards.

lang doesnt work at all... :P that seems to be the consensus here at LGW...

Based on two games Bert played I would not replace Homer with him on the first line just yet. Having said that Dats-Homer-Bert line is not a good test to figure if Bert will fit with Dats and Hank. Dats-Flip-Bert line would give much better assessment (2 stickhandlers/playmakers and big body).

Personally I would not move Homer off the first line unless he continues to struggle once Hank is back.

I think your forgetting something about Bertuzzi that Holmstrom doesn't do, and that's effectively playing a setup role.

Bertuzzi has very soft hands, and just one of those players (Z, Dats, and Bert) can attract several on coming defenders, leaving anyone else open. Bertuzzi alone can create room for himself, as well as others. A good example last game was the spin-around behind the net pass to Datsyuk.

I'm not arguing for splitting up the one time "hottest line in the NHL," but I think a Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi line can be huge for this team.

Anyone else think the Bert/Zetts/Dats line could possibly be (chemistry aside) one, if not the best line in the NHL!! Woo-Hoo!!! Playoffs can't get here soon enough for me.

Originally i woulda said no way, but homer has kinda been in a slump, he does bring the fighting working attitude to win pucks in the offensive zone, but bert brings that too and looks to be more hungry...and could protect our players. I think it would be good to put homer down on the second line, have 2 lines where net crashing is well done :cool:

Never Forget Mac has the right idea- if we move all there top stars together we do so at the cost of scoring depth. Hasn't that been the issue all along? If the first line doesn't light it up we're in serious trouble, right? Well here's my suggestion:

Dats, Holmer, Hank

Huds, Bert, Calder

Drapes-Malts-Cleary

Filp, Lang, Franzen

Honestly- Huds has centreing experience and is playing with tons and tons of energy, Bert and Calder are playing great and with tons of energy. Cleary is coming off an injury, but could heat up with Malts and Drapes- who happen to turn up some timely goals when things are desperate! Filp is playing well, but not as well as Huds, so maybe he could be the finesse player on the 4th line? I don't CARE how much Lang and Sammy are making- they aren't playing well and ego is far less important then winning. The more Filp and Huds are backseated for those two the more the Wings are being short changed in the end. Sammy isn't really worth keeping around, and Lang is probably gone in the summer, so why waste upper roster spots on them?

I know the idea of letting Huds centre the second line instead of Lang isn't likely to happen without Lang being injured, but I think it's utterly stupid to keep a centre with a poor work ethic on your second line when you've got a better option who's in need of a roster spot.

Dats, Holmer, Hank

Huds, Bert, Calder

Drapes-Malts-Cleary

Filp, Lang, Franzen

Well this does seem to be the best plan so far I don’t think we should split up Dats, Homer, and Hank. Although I remember seeing a special during intermission that Huds, was or may still be living at Langs house, so im seeing some special bonding or some chemistry there in that sense so I think that the lines should look like this:

Dats, Holmer, Hank

Filp, Bert, Calder -- Durring this time that Hanks been out Fillpula shown me a lil something on the first line

Drapes-Malts-Cleary

Huds, Lang, Franzen

Guest Crymson

It seems like alot of people assume that once Zetterberg is healthy, Babcock will employ a Bertuzzi Zetterberg Datsyuk line. How do you guys feel about this? I think its not a guaranteed success, for a few reasons.

I really believe that the the ZDH line is just as dependent on Holmstrom than Datsyuk or Zetterberg. Sure, Bertuzzi might be the better all around guy, but that doesn't gurantee him to be a better fit on the ZD(B/H) line. Although on paper Bert and Holmstrom and similar players, I think Holmstrom is a near perfect fit on line.

this line no matter what.

Unless the line tanks, it won't happen. Babs and Holland made it very clear that the trade-deadline moves were meant to strengthen the 2nd line. I completely agree with your statement on that line's dependence on Holmstrom. Such chemistry as exists amongst ZDH is special. I also couldn't agree more with your statement on Bert being better overall, but not necessarily better on that line than Homer. I feel exactly the same way, and I think that a lot of people suddenly see a shiny new player and think that, by default, he'll make the line even better. Like YoungGuns said, one cannot manufacture chemistry.

My favorite (nonsensical) comment on this issue was (quoted with approximate grammar): "well, back in 2002, Bertuzzi was on a line with Morrison and Naslund, and they were both smaller guys and he protected them, and they were the best line in the league back then." Sorry, buddy, but doesn't it matter to you that ZDH were the best line in the league NOW? The only line that came close was a line with quite possibly the Next One (Crosby) plus two other greats (Malone and Recchi).

Also, Holmstrom thrives when put on a line with quality scorers. We've seen it. We've also seen that he doesn't thrive on a line which DOESN'T have quality scorers. Thus, he'd be wasted on many lines.

We've seen, through virtually scientific processes, how important Z, D, and H each are to each other. At the beginning of the season, we saw all of them play separately, and slump. Then we saw Zetterberg and Datsyuk come together, which saw their performance improve dramatically, while Holmstrom still slumped. Finally, we saw Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Holmstrom together, at which point they began to tear through the NHL, and it was at THIS point that Zetterberg began producing like a monster.. NOT before.

The first line will remain together. There is no reason to break up the best line in the league. Babcock knows this. I do not know why others think otherwise, as it lacks sense.

Lang works the boards? Are you watching different hockey than we are?

Anyone else think the Bert/Zetts/Dats line could possibly be (chemistry aside) one, if not the best line in the NHL!! Woo-Hoo!!! Playoffs can't get here soon enough for me.

................................................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom WAS ALREADY THE BEST LINE IN THE NHL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

sigh.

Edited by Crymson

Well this does seem to be the best plan so far I don̢۪t think we should split up Dats, Homer, and Hank. Although I remember seeing a special during intermission that Huds, was or may still be living at Langs house, so im seeing some special bonding or some chemistry there in that sense so I think that the lines should look like this:

Dats, Holmer, Hank

Filp, Bert, Calder -- Durring this time that Hanks been out Fillpula shown me a lil something on the first line

Drapes-Malts-Cleary

Huds, Lang, Franzen

I like this, but I'm going to switch up the third and fourth line. Until Cleary gets his scoring touch back, let him get time with Drapes and Malts as part of our shutdown line.

That being said, it might be difficult for Cleary to get his scoring touch back on a line with Drapes and Malts.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

don't forget that Bert played his best hockey with brendan morrison and Nasulnd. Two guys who play similar games (althought morrison isn't half as skilled as either Z or Dats)

I would like to see Bertuzzi - Datsyuk - Franzen, Holmstrom - Zetterberg - Sammy/Calder, Maltby-Draper-Cleary, Flip - Lang - Hudler.. Samuelsson..sp? would be the odd man out.

Bertuzzi and Datsyuk are a great tandem. Bertuzzi is exactly what Datsyuk needs. Those lines right there could do some damage.

Cymson is right.

When Hank returns, Bert will move to the second line. ZDH was the best line in the NHL until Hank injured his back, why mess with success and gamble with unproven line combinations? Save that for later if those three can't reinginte the tear they went on for nearly three months.

That being said, true, Bert has soft hands, can protect hank and dats, and is a huge presence in front of the net, but not only is Homer one of the best scorers within 3 feet of the net, but he is a monster along the boards-digging out the puck for dats and hank.