• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Zeta Power 40

Islanders' DiPietro out indefinitely

Rate this topic

Unless Mike Dunham comes in and takes them to the promise land, the Ryan Smyth deal will be all for not.

Exactly. That will turn out to be one of the biggest waste trades of all time.

Essentially they lose Ryan O'Marra, Robert Nilsson and their first-round pick in 2007 for nothing.

Ouch.

Based on his play this year, I really thought that DiPietro could come in and be a Buffalo killer if the NYI ended up being a very low seed, especially because Smyth seems to fit in well. Wow, huge loss.

Well theres one more team in the East thats out of the playoffs, I guess the confrence is slightly less tight now, :P Too bad about DiPietro though

Edited by Elshupacabra

I think the isles will fail to make the playoffs....when he went on that 3-4 game break because of his collision...they dropped something like 3/4. This is a huge blow to the islanders, poor guys :thumbdown:

14 years left on that contract.......................

Not quite sure why that has any real bearing on the situation at hand. (Other than it screws over my fantasy team.) DiPietro, though inconsistent out of the gate, has been very strong this season and the glue that has kept the Isles playoffs hopes stuck together. If he plays like he did the 2nd half of this season during the duration of the contract it'll be a fantastic deal. (That said, 15-year contracts are borderline insanity).

Besides, if he goes Tim Connelly on the Islanders he goes on LTI and the contract is, for all intents and purposes, "off the books".

Exactly. That will turn out to be one of the biggest waste trades of all time.

Essentially they lose Ryan O'Marra, Robert Nilsson and their first-round pick in 2007 for nothing.

Ouch.

Losing Nilsson probably doesn't even bother the Islanders though. Nolan was never going to give him a chance. I mean, he called up Eric Boguniecki before Nilsson, and Boguniecki is in his 30's and has only played one decent season in his career. I really seen after that Nolan wasn't going to give Nilsson much of a shot.

Really, in my opinion, they lose O'Marra and the draft pick. Nilsson was doing so well in the minors, yet didn't seem to want to play him at all.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Who's to say they won't re-sign Smyth, anyway? I wouldn't call it a "waste" until he inks with another NHL club besides the Islanders.

i could see smyth going to the caps, for some reason i could see that being a huge benefit to the caps, and another player for them to form their team around apart from AO, since theyre still sour over jagr leaving

Edited by Viperar

Who's to say they won't re-sign Smyth, anyway? I wouldn't call it a "waste" until he inks with another NHL club besides the Islanders.

Canadian media says: HE'LL GO BACK TO EDMONTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11oneone2

Reality says: It's up in the air at this point. Obviously the ownership situation is extremly unstable on Long Island, and somehow I get the feeling they'll throw the bank at Smyth just so he stays. Then again he may just go back to Edmonton, considering what an emotional connection he had to the city and the team. We'll wait and see.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Besides, if he goes Tim Connelly on the Islanders he goes on LTI and the contract is, for all intents and purposes, "off the books".

But he still gets paid correct?

And that contract is still outrageous.

Don't get me wrong though, I think Rick is a marvelous goalie.

Because he is coming to HOCKEYTOWN! :D

...ahh I wish.

Its a toss up right now as to where he might go, or if he resigns with NYI.

But he still gets paid correct?

And that contract is still outrageous.

Don't get me wrong though, I think Rick is a marvelous goalie.

If a player suits up for at least one game a season, the team has to pay him his whole salary for that season. If the player is injured for the entire season, then insurance picks up his salary. Although, I wonder how much the insurance on the 15-year contract have cost the Isles.

NOOO DIPI! :(

I'm pulling for them. They'll make the playoffs! *crosses fingers*

You are the NYI fan right? when I posted a thread a week or so about whos everyones favorite team besides Detroit?

well good luck to you with NYI getting in, I am rooting for the Rangers. :rolleyes: