• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 WhiteCloud

WhiteCloud

Rookie

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:04 PM

Anyone got a video of the hit? I missed the first period of the game. Center Ice had the Blues guys calling the game and they seemed to be OK with the fact that he was booted from the game they implied that Lebda turned on the hit and that it was not necessarily a premeditated dirty hit.

I do like the fact that he went to the hospital to check on Lebda though. That is the way it used to be and the way it should be. Hockey is an emotional and sometimes violent sport and sometimes you do things, on purpose or accident, that you may not have meant to do and someone is injured. I have played for a long time (25+ years) and have done some things that in hindsight I should not have to people that I was actually friends with off the ice. I let my emotions get the best of me so I can see how someone playing in a much more emotion filled an d meaningful game could do the same. In the old days the player who caused the injury always visited the injured player to apologize and basically show respect. Nowadays that respect seems to be leaving the game so it is good to see a player doing the right thing.

#22 GongShow86

GongShow86

SKOAL

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:59 PM

It was a dirty hit, you see the numbers by the boards you dont hit. Thats the first thing they teach you when you get in peewees. Since Nieminen has been suspended for the SAME EXACT thing in the past he shoulda got a 2 game supsension or something. Thats bulls*** he didnt learn the first time and this time was a slap on the wrist to him.

[I bet the only reason he went to the hospital was to cover his ass with the NHL. He figured oh this will look good and maybe i'll get off.] My opinion though.

http://www.usatoday....-comments_x.htm

Edited by GongShow86, 27 March 2007 - 09:00 PM.

#23 Wings_Rule_1010

Wings_Rule_1010

LGRW!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE(GongShow86 @ March 27, 2007 - 09:59PM) View Post

It was a dirty hit, you see the numbers by the boards you dont hit. Thats the first thing they teach you when you get in peewees. Since Nieminen has been suspended for the SAME EXACT thing in the past he shoulda got a 2 game supsension or something. Thats bulls*** he didnt learn the first time and this time was a slap on the wrist to him.

http://www.usatoday....-comments_x.htm

I definitely think he should have been suspended. Being a repeat offender, I think it should have warrented one... however, I guess you could look at it, that he intechnically was suspended for one game, since he was ejected early in the first.
Go Blue!!!

#24 Schneids_is_awesome

Schneids_is_awesome

Danny's To Do List: Conn Smythe & Stanley Cup

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE(Wings_Rule_1010 @ March 27, 2007 - 10:16PM) View Post

I definitely think he should have been suspended. Being a repeat offender, I think it should have warrented one... however, I guess you could look at it, that he intechnically was suspended for one game, since he was ejected early in the first.

Exactly. He should have been suspended, but I guess the league saw his punishment during the game as sufficient. On that note, I am a huge fan of the fact that this guy went to the hospital to apologize to Brett. It doesn't take back what he did, but to look at it on the bright side because Lebda couldn't play in the last game we got to see Lilja duke it out with Moan. No, but seriously. Chris Simon has yet to apologize in person to Hollweg for slashing him in the face, so at least Nieminen did that. Regardless, I am not a fan of the guy.

Edited by Schneids_is_awesome, 27 March 2007 - 09:28 PM.

#25 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE(WhiteCloud @ March 27, 2007 - 08:04PM) View Post

Anyone got a video of the hit?

The Eye that is Youtube sees all..... ph34r.gif

#26 GordieSid&Ted

GordieSid&Ted

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE(Wings_Rule_1010 @ March 27, 2007 - 10:16PM) View Post

OMFG, you guys are being completely ridiculous. Suspension? For what?

Watch the video replay without your Wings glasses on. Stop the footage prior to the hit and you'll see that Nieminen had a good bead on Lebda as he turned to skate towards the net (general directon), they were about 4 feet apart distance wise and shoulder to shoulder as far as positioning. If you roll the footage its probably less than 1/2 second later that Ville throws the hit and Brett is turning his back to the play.

Sorry, I play defense and I don't go turning my back to the checker when i'm about a foot from the boards, which Lebda was just so I don't have to take a hit.

Ville went for the check and Lebda turned his back to him all in a split second.

You people act like Bret was facing the boards for 3 seconds and Ville just came up from behind him and drilled him in the back.

I don't want to see anybody get hurt but sorry, Bret saw Ville coming from his left and instead of taking the hit shoulder to shoulder he tried to make a move back in the other direction and Ville caught him mid move.

I'm glad they penalized Ville but players spend too much time turning their backs on giuys who are in mid check and have no way of letting up.
Being a mod doesn't make you special.

#27 Don Corleone

Don Corleone

Top Prospect

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE(GordieSid&Ted @ March 28, 2007 - 08:58AM) View Post

Watch the video replay without your Wings glasses on. Stop the footage prior to the hit and you'll see that Nieminen had a good bead on Lebda as he turned to skate towards the net (general directon), they were about 4 feet apart distance wise and shoulder to shoulder as far as positioning. If you roll the footage its probably less than 1/2 second later that Ville throws the hit and Brett is turning his back to the play.

Sorry, I play defense and I don't go turning my back to the checker when i'm about a foot from the boards, which Lebda was just so I don't have to take a hit.

Ville went for the check and Lebda turned his back to him all in a split second.

You people act like Bret was facing the boards for 3 seconds and Ville just came up from behind him and drilled him in the back.

I don't want to see anybody get hurt but sorry, Bret saw Ville coming from his left and instead of taking the hit shoulder to shoulder he tried to make a move back in the other direction and Ville caught him mid move.

I'm glad they penalized Ville but players spend too much time turning their backs on giuys who are in mid check and have no way of letting up.

Well described. Finally, a Wings fan that makes sense and doesn't think the NHL has a conspiracy brewing against them.
"When I returned Mary Jo and the care were gone."
---Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-MA)

#28 GongShow86

GongShow86

SKOAL

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE(GordieSid&Ted @ March 28, 2007 - 07:58AM) View Post

thanks for the good laugh

#29 Vonnie182

Vonnie182

Ewwww, a band-aid...

• 38 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE(HenrikRules40 @ March 27, 2007 - 05:07PM) View Post

Vonnie! I am utterly in love with your signature.

thank you very much...Hank is the man!

#30 Zion

Zion

Hall-of-Famer

• Bronze Booster
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:13 PM

I've said from the get-go that it wasn't a "dirty" hit. I'm even surprised that Ville has a history of hits like this, because he is not a "dirty" player, just an agitator... and it doesn't surprise me at all that he went to visit Brett and apologize to him, as he seems to be a very likable guy and was very popular in San Jose.
Hockeytown - No Limits

#31 wingsfan40

wingsfan40

Zetterberg: Simply Impresses Everytime He's On The Ice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:32 PM

Just like these guys...last i heard there was to be no additional punishment dry.gif

#32 GordieSid&Ted

GordieSid&Ted

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE(GongShow86 @ March 28, 2007 - 01:00PM) View Post

thanks for the good laugh

You're welcome.

Always nice to see somebody with their "homer" glasses take them off for 1 second and realize how much they're overreacting and reaching to try and make an issue where there isn't one because it happened to their beloved team.

I love the Wings too, but not to the point of delusion.

How's that for a laugh. tongue.gif
Being a mod doesn't make you special.

#33 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:30 PM

Good points Gordie.

I don't know what you really give a suspension for. If Lebda wouldn't have gotten hurt, nobody would be saying a thing about it.

#34 auxlepli

auxlepli

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:37 PM

Can't spell Ville without vile.
Vile = an adjective meaning "morally low; base; despicable"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vile

So yeah, that aboot sums it up.

#35 Wings_Rule_1010

Wings_Rule_1010

LGRW!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE(GordieSid&Ted @ March 28, 2007 - 08:58AM) View Post

Anyways, almost a week later and no suspension. So I guess the case is closed.

Those are all good points. I just think, looking at the incident individually, it didn't warrent a suspension. But when you look at the whole picture of Nieminen, you see that he has constantly given questionable hits, some of which hurt players.

Edited by Wings_Rule_1010, 28 March 2007 - 09:52 PM.

Go Blue!!!

#36 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE(Wings_Rule_1010 @ March 29, 2007 - 03:52AM) View Post

Those are all good points. I just think, looking at the incident individually, it didn't warrent a suspension. But when you look at the whole picture of Nieminen, you see that he has constantly given questionable hits, some of which hurt players.

yes, because he's yet another creation of instigator penalty. talentwise a mediocre player, which excels at s***ty play and makes other teams hate him. an evolution of a player like Maltby - but more reckless and with much less respect to other players. a little more hockey-skilled than Tootoo but it's the same kind

#37 Zetter is Better

Zetter is Better

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE(e_mcgrath88 @ March 27, 2007 - 04:21PM) View Post

If it was Tootoo who hit him everyone would be calling for his head...

No SH!T. It would have been the second time this month Fruitoo has seriously hurt some one! Duh! dry.gif
IPB Image
>>[DragonForce]<<

#38 Zion

Zion

Hall-of-Famer

• Bronze Booster
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE(auxlepli @ March 28, 2007 - 09:37PM) View Post

Can't spell Ville without vile.
Vile = an adjective meaning "morally low; base; despicable"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vile

So yeah, that aboot sums it up.

That is just dumb.

And, yes, he is similar to a Kirk Maltby, who (in his agitator days) was extremely effective against the opposition. You guys sound like other teams fans referring to Malts.
Hockeytown - No Limits