• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeyCrazy3033

Good job Babs; Now win or else

Rate this topic

I thought this was a really good article and I loved some of the things Babs had to say. Especially this:

The Wings' and Pistons' primary economic contributions might be more spiritual than tangible. Babcock spoke of how a community feels better about itself when its teams advance deep into the playoffs.

"It builds energy," Babcock said. "It builds enthusiasm. It builds excitement. But it also generates revenue. We're going to do our part and we hope you do your part and support us and we're going to make sure that we have a good, long playoff run this spring."

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID...2/1053/SPORTS05

We're going to do our part and we hope you do your part and support us and we're going to make sure that we have a good, long playoff run this spring."

Thats a bold statement (strategy) Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for them.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Another first round loss and Detroit will have a new coach next season

by no stretch do I want this to play out ... but if we do go down in the first round. I pray that it is an absolute WAR on the ice. And everyone in the league know's it.

But back to the topic. It sucks to be in the posistion of the coach. Generally it's where the axe falls first. But who could replace Babs? What could they do different with the lineup we have?

by no stretch do I want this to play out ... but if we do go down in the first round. I pray that it is an absolute WAR on the ice. And everyone in the league know's it.

But back to the topic. It sucks to be in the posistion of the coach. Generally it's where the axe falls first. But who could replace Babs? What could they do different with the lineup we have?

IMO...I don't think it completely has to do with on-ice lineups and game management. I also think that a coach is held responsible for players responding and playing for the them. If a coach isn't respected and can't get his players to play up to there ability, well that ultimatley falls on the coach. A coach has to motivate and inspire players to want to play for them...night-in, night-out. Sad to say cause he's a great guy, and a Wing at heart, but Dave Lewis fell victim to this exact scenario. He's was too much of a buddy, and couldn't get them to respond they way he needed to. I believe a coach has to find that perfect balance of with players through motivation, pride, fear, anger, mentor, and trust. Scotty Boman was the master at motivation through fear, anger, and trust (due to his track-record).

Edited by Learn2LuvIt

Yep. They talk the talk and in two weeks they gotta walk the walk.

I have faith.

GO WINGS!!!!!!

My post reflects how I feel, but do you (or anyone else for that matter) know what my post was a quotation from?

*Plays Jeopardy Theme Song*

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Yes, my post reflects how I feel, but do you, HC (or anyone else for that matter) know what my post was a quotation from?

*Plays Jeopardy Theme Song*

DODGEBALL!!

*Lafleur is being blindfolded* Cotton: Yes, he will not be able to see!

IMO...I don't think it completely has to do with on-ice lineups and game management. I also think that a coach is held responsible for players responding and playing for the them. If a coach isn't respected and can't get his players to play up to there ability, well that ultimatley falls on the coach. A coach has to motivate and inspire players to want to play for them...night-in, night-out. Sad to say cause he's a great guy, and a Wing at heart, but Dave Lewis fell victim to this exact scenario. He's was too much of a buddy, and couldn't get them to respond they way he needed to. I believe a coach has to find that perfect balance of with players through motivation, pride, fear, anger, mentor, and trust. Scotty Boman was the master at motivation through fear, anger, and trust (due to his track-record).

This is very true. Look at John Torterelli. The guy has done nothing but blast and berate his goaltenders since they won the cup in 04. Now they might as well put a turnstile in net.

Insiders close to Tampa Bay say that being a goalie for The Fonze is hell on ice. If your coach doesn't know how to handle you, you won't get the best results.

Still, if the Wings suffer another 1st round loss or even a 2nd round loss, I don't think it'll be Babcock's fault. This team has been built soft by Ken Holland. It's for that reason that we've been bullied out early the last 3 playoff years.

If we lose because of it again, I would hope to all that's good on this planet that Holland would take off his enormous beer goggles and finally see what he has to do with this team; GET SOME GRIT AND MUSCLE!!!

Edited by Hank

I think Babcock is a good coach, I'd be very disappointed to see him leave...I just don't know how compatible he is with the current team. A stereotypical Babcock player is a hard-working lunch-pailer type. For the most part, has the exact opposite here, a relatively non-physical, skill-based team. I think his impact here will get stronger as the older players are slowly phased out and he gets young guys like Hudler and Filppula who he can mold into his image.

This is very true. Look at John Torterelli. The guy has done nothing but blast and berate his goaltenders since they won the cup in 04. Now they might as well put a turnstile in net.

Insiders close to Tampa Bay say that being a goalie for The Fonze is hell on ice. If your coach doesn't know how to handle you, you won't get the best results.

Still, if the Wings suffer another 1st round loss or even a 2nd round loss, I don't think it'll be Babcock's fault. This team has been built soft by Ken Holland. It's for that reason that we've been bullied out early the last 3 playoff years.

If we lose because of it again, I would hope to all that's good on this planet that Holland would take off his enormous beer goggles and finally see what he has to do with this team; GET SOME GRIT AND MUSCLE!!!

Please this grit and muscle crap is getting really old. Right now we are as gritty and muscular as we have been in a long time - at least at forward. If you mean one more physical d-man, then I might agree, but the personel is pretty much there - at least compared to most teams - and now it is time to execute.

No, my problem with Babcock is that I don't believe he is that good of a gametime coach. I don't think he adjusts well and has shown long stretches of stubbornness and wishful thinking. Jason Williams on the point is the most blatant example, but there are others. I don't like some of his line combos and his allotment of ice time (or lack thereof) to some individuals borders on deluisional.

There's so many good teams out there (Buffalo, Detroit, Nashville, NJ, Anahiem, Vancouver, Ottawa, Pittsburg, Atlanta, San Jose). I think saying "Cup or bust" is really unfair. If we make it to the final 4, IMO it's a very successful season.

Even if we go out in the 1st round, I still want Babs back next year. We've overachieved in 2006-07 and Babs was a big reason for it.

There's so many good teams out there (Buffalo, Detroit, Nashville, NJ, Anahiem, Vancouver, Ottawa, Pittsburg, Atlanta, San Jose). I think saying "Cup or bust" is really unfair. If we make it to the final 4, IMO it's a very successful season.

All due respect....I completely disagree.

Even if we go out in the 1st round, I still want Babs back next year. We've overachieved in 2006-07 and Babs was a big reason for it.

Well said! :clap:

Nobody and not much. It would be a huge mistake to fire Babcock, even if the Red Wings season ends early. He's done significant changes that will benefit the Red Wings for years if handled correctly.

Wings fans are spoiled.

It's Cup or Bust for us every year......and that just isn't realistic.

It is just that the talent we assemble every year is Stanley Cup talent and anything short of winning it is a disappointment because we assemble such a good team. The reason we have lost the past couple years is not because of our lack of talent, it has been our lack of being able to shove back. We were thoroughly out-muscled and lost because of that. This year, we have a better all-around team. We have skill, grit, and defense. Plus both our goalies have earned a ring themselves. Thats my 2 cents on this topic.

Clearys a 20 goal scorer, Franzen has been awesome, Hasek has been reliable, Lilja is more physical, Schneider is more scrappy, Hudler and Flip have a combined 25 goals, Datsyuk is playing awesome defense, Hank is being his usual self, Kopecky was a little sparkplug when he was in the lineup, Lebda has been solid, Markov has been what is expected.

I think Babs has done a great job getting top performances out of players. This team was not supposed to be a top contender at the end of the 06-07 season, and here we are.

There are no easy teams, and before Babs gets the ax, Id like to see what he can do with a more gritty on-ice product. If he still fails then, we can let him go.

It is just that the talent we assemble every year is Stanley Cup talent and anything short of winning it is a disappointment because we assemble such a good team. The reason we have lost the past couple years is not because of our lack of talent, it has been our lack of being able to shove back. We were thoroughly out-muscled and lost because of that. This year, we have a better all-around team. We have skill, grit, and defense. Plus both our goalies have earned a ring themselves. Thats my 2 cents on this topic.

We only have grit in comparison to the last few Red Wings teams. But Nashville, Calgary, Anaheim, and San Jose have a MAJOR advantage over us in terms of grit while still being skilled teams. Detroit is still one of the softest teams in the league.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Wings fans are spoiled.

Not realistic....but very much the case. The Wings ownership may view being in the final four as a very successful season, not me as a die hard fan. I don't sell tickets. I don't sell Wings garb. I don't operate a veding station at the Joe. Very successful season to who? I didn't get to run around my neighborhood scaring neighbors completley drunk banging pots and pans screaming "We Won The Cup!!!"

Success is measured by results. To measure success in the NHL means only ONE THING, the Stanley Cup. I agree, it's very nice to get deep into the playoffs, but I wouldn't say being in the final four teams in the NHL is a very successful season. Good season-yes. But who will care about that in five years--NADA-Nobody.

And yes, I (or we Wings fans) may be "spoiled" to expect this, but we've created are own situation. We give A LOT to our hockey team in this town-and what they give back is dependent on there success throughout the season and ultimatley the playoffs. And just as it says in the Wings locker room, "To whom much is given, much is expected!" Don't hate on us cause we strive for the ulitimate goal of winning the Stanley Cup every year. And please don't give me this warm and fuzzy "it's just great to be a fan, and we love our players and there contributions to the community, they're such great guys, they try really hard, etc...." I'm not dating them so I could care less if they're nice guys and try really hard. It's the NHL--See Charles Darwin.

Edited by Learn2LuvIt

This is a better way of putting it, and yes this team is better equipped for a deep playoff run than the past 3.

Wings fans are spoiled.

:clap: Totally agree. I really hope we win this year, but I'll be happy if we give it our all, you know?

We can't win every year...we can't win every other year, and we can't win even every 3 years. I'm at least happy we have a good, exciting team, who wins most nights!

Whether or not Babs is back will not be 100% determined on if we win the Cup. The DRW staff is not going to make a rash decision, and knows more than any of us what kind of things go into winning the Cup. The Wings will only change up if they can get someone who is better than Babs.

Edited by Offsides