• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:37 PM

I thought this was a really good article and I loved some of the things Babs had to say. Especially this:

The Wings' and Pistons' primary economic contributions might be more spiritual than tangible. Babcock spoke of how a community feels better about itself when its teams advance deep into the playoffs.

"It builds energy," Babcock said. "It builds enthusiasm. It builds excitement. But it also generates revenue. We're going to do our part and we hope you do your part and support us and we're going to make sure that we have a good, long playoff run this spring."

http://freep.com/app...2/1053/SPORTS05
"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#2 Viperar

Viperar

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:38 PM

Plow through the playoffs, and I for one am right behind ya babs
IPB Image
IPB Image

#3 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE(Mike Babcock)
We're going to do our part and we hope you do your part and support us and we're going to make sure that we have a good, long playoff run this spring."

Thats a bold statement (strategy) Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for them.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25, 28 March 2007 - 02:11 PM.

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#4 WingsFANstuckintheSOUTH

WingsFANstuckintheSOUTH

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:41 PM

Another first round loss and Detroit will have a new coach next season

#5 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE(Never Forget Mac #25 @ March 28, 2007 - 01:40PM) View Post

Thats a bold statement (strategy) Cotton. Let's see if it pays of the them.

Yep. They talk the talk and in two weeks they gotta walk the walk.

I have faith.

GO WINGS!!!!!!

#6 arnoldbuck

arnoldbuck

Can you see the Shooter!?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE(WingsFANstuckintheSOUTH @ March 28, 2007 - 11:41AM) View Post

Another first round loss and Detroit will have a new coach next season

by no stretch do I want this to play out ... but if we do go down in the first round. I pray that it is an absolute WAR on the ice. And everyone in the league know's it.

But back to the topic. It sucks to be in the posistion of the coach. Generally it's where the axe falls first. But who could replace Babs? What could they do different with the lineup we have?
No Matter How Many Fish in the Sea ... It'll be So Empty Without Me
I'm a lover, not a fighter. But I'm also a fighter, so don't get any idea's.

#7 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE(arnoldbuck @ March 28, 2007 - 02:44PM) View Post

by no stretch do I want this to play out ... but if we do go down in the first round. I pray that it is an absolute WAR on the ice. And everyone in the league know's it.

But back to the topic. It sucks to be in the posistion of the coach. Generally it's where the axe falls first. But who could replace Babs? What could they do different with the lineup we have?

IMO...I don't think it completely has to do with on-ice lineups and game management. I also think that a coach is held responsible for players responding and playing for the them. If a coach isn't respected and can't get his players to play up to there ability, well that ultimatley falls on the coach. A coach has to motivate and inspire players to want to play for them...night-in, night-out. Sad to say cause he's a great guy, and a Wing at heart, but Dave Lewis fell victim to this exact scenario. He's was too much of a buddy, and couldn't get them to respond they way he needed to. I believe a coach has to find that perfect balance of with players through motivation, pride, fear, anger, mentor, and trust. Scotty Boman was the master at motivation through fear, anger, and trust (due to his track-record).

Edited by Learn2LuvIt, 28 March 2007 - 02:04 PM.

ENJOY THE RIDE

#8 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE(hockeycrazy3033 @ March 28, 2007 - 01:44PM) View Post

Yep. They talk the talk and in two weeks they gotta walk the walk.

I have faith.

GO WINGS!!!!!!

My post reflects how I feel, but do you (or anyone else for that matter) know what my post was a quotation from?

*Plays Jeopardy Theme Song*

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25, 28 March 2007 - 02:12 PM.

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#9 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE(Never Forget Mac #25 @ March 28, 2007 - 02:10PM) View Post

Yes, my post reflects how I feel, but do you, HC (or anyone else for that matter) know what my post was a quotation from?

DODGEBALL!!

*Lafleur is being blindfolded* Cotton: Yes, he will not be able to see!

#10 Hank

Hank

60% of the time it works everytime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE(Learn2LuvIt @ March 28, 2007 - 03:04PM) View Post

IMO...I don't think it completely has to do with on-ice lineups and game management. I also think that a coach is held responsible for players responding and playing for the them. If a coach isn't respected and can't get his players to play up to there ability, well that ultimatley falls on the coach. A coach has to motivate and inspire players to want to play for them...night-in, night-out. Sad to say cause he's a great guy, and a Wing at heart, but Dave Lewis fell victim to this exact scenario. He's was too much of a buddy, and couldn't get them to respond they way he needed to. I believe a coach has to find that perfect balance of with players through motivation, pride, fear, anger, mentor, and trust. Scotty Boman was the master at motivation through fear, anger, and trust (due to his track-record).

This is very true. Look at John Torterelli. The guy has done nothing but blast and berate his goaltenders since they won the cup in 04. Now they might as well put a turnstile in net.
Insiders close to Tampa Bay say that being a goalie for The Fonze is hell on ice. If your coach doesn't know how to handle you, you won't get the best results.

Still, if the Wings suffer another 1st round loss or even a 2nd round loss, I don't think it'll be Babcock's fault. This team has been built soft by Ken Holland. It's for that reason that we've been bullied out early the last 3 playoff years.
If we lose because of it again, I would hope to all that's good on this planet that Holland would take off his enormous beer goggles and finally see what he has to do with this team; GET SOME GRIT AND MUSCLE!!!

Edited by Hank, 28 March 2007 - 02:14 PM.

#11 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE(hockeycrazy3033 @ March 28, 2007 - 02:11PM) View Post

DODGEBALL!!

*Lafleur is being blindfolded* Cotton: Yes, he will not be able to see!

Winner!

#12 Louisville

Louisville

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE(Never Forget Mac #25 @ March 28, 2007 - 03:10PM) View Post

My post reflects how I feel, but do you (or anyone else for that matter) know what my post was a quotation from?

That was the annoucer dude in Dodgeball. smile.gif

#13 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE(Drew Sharp - Author of the Article)
How much has it cost downtown merchants having only three home playoff games the last two years?

Kind of a misleading comment here since the the 04/05 season was lost to the lockout.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25, 28 March 2007 - 02:22 PM.

#14 StaticWithABeat

StaticWithABeat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:23 PM

I think Babcock is a good coach, I'd be very disappointed to see him leave...I just don't know how compatible he is with the current team. A stereotypical Babcock player is a hard-working lunch-pailer type. For the most part, has the exact opposite here, a relatively non-physical, skill-based team. I think his impact here will get stronger as the older players are slowly phased out and he gets young guys like Hudler and Filppula who he can mold into his image.

#15 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE(Hank @ March 28, 2007 - 02:13PM) View Post

This is very true. Look at John Torterelli. The guy has done nothing but blast and berate his goaltenders since they won the cup in 04. Now they might as well put a turnstile in net.
Insiders close to Tampa Bay say that being a goalie for The Fonze is hell on ice. If your coach doesn't know how to handle you, you won't get the best results.

Still, if the Wings suffer another 1st round loss or even a 2nd round loss, I don't think it'll be Babcock's fault. This team has been built soft by Ken Holland. It's for that reason that we've been bullied out early the last 3 playoff years.
If we lose because of it again, I would hope to all that's good on this planet that Holland would take off his enormous beer goggles and finally see what he has to do with this team; GET SOME GRIT AND MUSCLE!!!

Please this grit and muscle crap is getting really old. Right now we are as gritty and muscular as we have been in a long time - at least at forward. If you mean one more physical d-man, then I might agree, but the personel is pretty much there - at least compared to most teams - and now it is time to execute.

No, my problem with Babcock is that I don't believe he is that good of a gametime coach. I don't think he adjusts well and has shown long stretches of stubbornness and wishful thinking. Jason Williams on the point is the most blatant example, but there are others. I don't like some of his line combos and his allotment of ice time (or lack thereof) to some individuals borders on deluisional.

Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#16 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:26 PM

There's so many good teams out there (Buffalo, Detroit, Nashville, NJ, Anahiem, Vancouver, Ottawa, Pittsburg, Atlanta, San Jose). I think saying "Cup or bust" is really unfair. If we make it to the final 4, IMO it's a very successful season.

Even if we go out in the 1st round, I still want Babs back next year. We've overachieved in 2006-07 and Babs was a big reason for it.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#17 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE(Barrie @ March 28, 2007 - 03:26PM) View Post

There's so many good teams out there (Buffalo, Detroit, Nashville, NJ, Anahiem, Vancouver, Ottawa, Pittsburg, Atlanta, San Jose). I think saying "Cup or bust" is really unfair. If we make it to the final 4, IMO it's a very successful season.

All due respect....I completely disagree.
ENJOY THE RIDE

#18 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE(Barrie @ March 28, 2007 - 03:26PM) View Post

Even if we go out in the 1st round, I still want Babs back next year. We've overachieved in 2006-07 and Babs was a big reason for it.

Well said! clap.gif

Posted Image

#19 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE(Learn2LuvIt @ March 28, 2007 - 02:31PM) View Post

All due respect....I completely disagree.

Wings fans are spoiled.

It's Cup or Bust for us every year......and that just isn't realistic.

#20 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,978 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(arnoldbuck @ March 28, 2007 - 01:44PM) View Post

Nobody and not much. It would be a huge mistake to fire Babcock, even if the Red Wings season ends early. He's done significant changes that will benefit the Red Wings for years if handled correctly.

"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate