• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Asia13

Asia13

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:50 PM

I'm sorry guys but if you think grit is all it takes to win the cup then you are sadly mistaken. A good playoff team IMO has a good combination of grit+ good coaching+ skill+good health+ good goaltending. The latter being the most important. At times the goaltending can be the only major factor (with a little from the others, ex. Buffalo Sabres of 99 playoffs). To those who think grit can get you all the way well..let's look at this years Phoenix Coyotes. A couple gritty guys there in Nolan, Boynton, Jovo-cop, Doan, Scratchard and Laraque to name a few. What do they lack? Well obviously coaching and maybe health(arguable). if Mike Babcock was coaching this yotes team, I guarantee you that the yotes would 'be in the playoffs right now and probably with a few other additions as well. If the wings were to fire Babcock that would be a horrific decision and another team would ****** him just like that.

That's my 2 cents..to sum it up, don't fire Mike Babcock until you give him the team he wants.

#42 Viperar

Viperar

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE(hockeycrazy3033 @ March 29, 2007 - 01:32PM) View Post

I really hope Babs stays around for a long time. I think he's a great, fiesty coach and he's exactly what the Wings need. He's a perfect fit for this team.

the nashville guys were talking about how he doesnt beat around the bush either, hes so straightforward and easy to understand, i think thats good clap.gif
IPB Image
IPB Image

#43 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE(FinRedWing @ March 29, 2007 - 02:30AM) View Post

No s***.

I've been whining and complaining for years that the NHL seems to caiter to it's lower seeds in the 1st round. For some reason people like it when the underdog takes out a top dog. Then they wonder why the remaining rounds are so sleeping.gif and the tv ratings are low.

You got to hand it to the NBA, they take care of their best teams. They know what brings in the tv ratings and keeps things exciting in the later rounds.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#44 LivingtheDream

LivingtheDream

1st Line All-Star

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:50 AM

This quote from Babcock today left me scratching my head:

"We play short shifts and go after the other team, we're going to be a good team. We don't, we're not going to be a good team."

Then I realized you probably have to hear him. and the way he talks He doesn't use the word "If" much.

IF "We play short shifts and go after the other team, we're going to be a good team. IF We don't, we're not going to be a good team."

Grammar aside, he wants and needs the whole team to pitch in come playoff time. As a result, I think we will see different guys sitting out at different times. You will have to earn your spot on the roster whether you are getting 5, 10 or 20 minutes a game. So for all of us wondering Hudler, Sammy, Cleary or whoever, I guess they will have to prove it.