• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeyCrazy3033

Osgood vs. Nashville, Hasek vs. Dallas

Rate this topic

What is babs going to do when the playoffs start? I don't mind it, but this just doesn't make sense to me...

Hasek's the starter for the playoffs, no questions really need to be asked about that, so....

Rotation for these next two games makes sense. A good bit of Osgood's limited action this year has been against Nashville and he's stepped up to the plate, so why not again. Biggest game of the season to this point (if you are worried about winning the division), why the hell not?

Besides the plan has always been, from what I have read, that Hasek doesn't play one of back-to-back games. Might as well just keep him in Detroit for Thursday's game for rest, then he goes full steam against the Stars.

As for the final four games, my guess is Hasek plays 3 of the 4.

What is babs going to do when the playoffs start? I don't mind it, but this just doesn't make sense to me...

I think he's starting Ozzie because he's played really well in his last 5-6 starts and while he does own the Stars, he's got a great record against the Preds too. 14-5-2-1 with a 2.29 goals against. To my knowledge Ozzie owns 4 teams when facing them: Stars, Bolts, Nucks, and Preds* Pretty good. So really I can see why Babs is playing him. Plus it's giving Dom a rest. I'd rather they do that then take a risk and play him back to back.

Edited by hockeycrazy3033

Besides the plan has always been, from what I have read, that Hasek doesn't play one of back-to-back games. Might as well just keep him in Detroit for Thursday's game for rest, then he goes full steam against the Stars.

That's probably what Babs was thinking.

Save Dom for the Dallas game at home, and avoid back to backs. Stars are a determined team, and have been tough lately, scrapping out OT and SO wins. No pushovers, those Stars. Ozzie can handle the Preds (or the Stars), especially if the same Wings show up tomorrow who were on the ice Monday. I hope that happens. We need to see a team effort and have confidence in both goalies down the stretch.

What SWF said about rotation. Babcock, Ozzie and Dom have already made schedule as to who starts which game, so all is going according to plan, one would assume. ;)

Guest GodofHockeyStevieY19

This is horrible news. Plain and simple, Hasek is the better tender, therefore he should be in against the better team and possibly the most important game of the season. Then put Ozzie in against the stars. This is a s***ty decision by Babcock. And mark my words it WILL come back to haunt us. No way Ozzie is stealing a game against nashville, in nashville. If we end up losing the top seed by a point or two, this will be the reason why. I mean I love Ozzie and all, but lets be real. He's mediocre at his best. Not who you want between the pipes during possibly the biggest game of the regular season.

Hasek's the starter for the playoffs, no questions really need to be asked about that, so....

Rotation for these next two games makes sense. A good bit of Osgood's limited action this year has been against Nashville and he's stepped up to the plate, so why not again. Biggest game of the season to this point (if you are worried about winning the division), why the hell not?

As for the final four games, my guess is Hasek plays 3 of the 4.

I liked your answer, thank you. But I guess my biggest reason for saying what I did is that Hasek will probably in back to back nights in the playoffs... right? I just feel like it is bad preperation, unless Ozzie is going to take those second games in the playoffs too...

This is horrible news. Plain and simple, Hasek is the better tender, therefore he should be in against the better team and possibly the most important game of the season. Then put Ozzie in against the stars. This is a s***ty decision by Babcock. And mark my words it WILL come back to haunt us. No way Ozzie is stealing a game against nashville, in nashville. If we end up losing the top seed by a point or two, this will be the reason why. I mean I love Ozzie and all, but lets be real. He's mediocre at his best. Not who you want between the pipes during possibly the biggest game of the regular season.

Did he not win in Nashville the last game?

Or am I just imagining things? :rolleyes:

Osgood has played excellent against the Preds. The way he's played in his last 5-6 starts he absolutely deserves this game. Saying he isn't able to 'steal' a game is foolish. He is way more than capable of beating these guys again. Way to ruin the thread though. It never fails that when Ozzie is mentioned someone always has to stir things up. Calling Ozzie mediocre is a joke. Babs doesn't agree and rightfully so.

Edited by hockeycrazy3033

Yeah, he sure reeked behind winning his last game at Nashville, beating Nashville in the shootout (please let's not bring up his 3rd period goal, I GET THAT HE SHOULD'VE STOPPED IT) at Detroit recently, and ripping saves out of his rear end at Nashville prior to that in an OT loss......

Bottom line, Babcock made the decision about who plays when. One reason Dom and Ozzie can work together and be a great tandem is both of them play when they are tapped and sit when they're told to sit. They are each capable of winning either of the next two games, and neither one deserves to play in one game more than the other.

As far as the playoffs, I will be surprised to see Ozzie start any games as long as Hasek is healthy and especially if they're winning. That is probably just how it's going to be... and it's not a knock on Ozzie. 2002 playoffs, Legace saw almost no action. At this point neither Dom nor Ozzie will benefit from any sort of preparation. If they're not ready now (and I believe they are), no extra game or back to back is going to help.

I am much more concerned that I won't see the determination and 60 minute effort again that I saw on Monday vs. the Ducks. And for God's sake, someone besides Datsyuk -- find the back of the net!! Lang, I do not mean the back of our net... put the puck in the other team's net, please? :lol:

Edit: I can't resist... Ozzie is not mediocre. The Wings have two quality goalies. The end. :thumbup:

Edited by puckloo39

I liked your answer, thank you. But I guess my biggest reason for saying what I did is that Hasek will probably in back to back nights in the playoffs... right? I just feel like it is bad preperation, unless Ozzie is going to take those second games in the playoffs too...

Back to backs are rare in the postseason.

That said, if management didn't feel confident Ozzie could handle it if needed, he wouldn't be on the team. The last time we had a playoff-capable backup in the postseason was 2004--Osgood last year excluded due to injury, of course.

Seriously, look at it...in 1999 the primary reason we ended up losing was that our All-Star goaltender was injured in the final game of the first round, and came back still hurting in Game 5 of round two to a team whose confidence had been surgically removed by the Avs.

In 2003 Joseph played one of the worst rounds of his career, and was the only option we had in net. In 2004, Legace earned the start but didn't last a round, and Joseph led the team past Nashville and did everything possible against Calgary.

In 2006, Legace again failed t odeliver, except this time the best available replacement was Jimmy Howard due to a freak injury sustained by Ozzie in practice.

2000 and 2001 are the only years goalie failure was not an issue...in 2000 the Wings were simply shut down by the Avs (averaged less than two goals per game) and in 2001 Yzerman and Shanahan were injured all series. The Wings scored only 2 goals average in games Shanahan missed, which were all losses-twice in OT. The Wings averaged 4.5 goals with Shanny in the lineup that series. Shanahan's offensive presence also reduced LA's offensive ability---Wings gave up 1.5 per game with Shanny, and 3 without. Yzerman's direct impact can't be measured as easily due to the limited time he did see when he played that series--but you can believe his absence was at least as important as Shanny's.

This year's Wings are as built for the playoffs as we have seen in a long time. Probably more playoff-oriented than the 2002 team, though not as ridiculously good. the 1999 Wings were probably the last team that was as playoff-built as what we have this year.

I think it's good for the simple reason that we could play Dallas FIRST in the playoffs...if we face the Preds it'll probably be 3rd round if at all....there's no possible way to face them really in round 1.

Plus, Oz has been really good against the Preds, Oz is always good against the Stars. Dom has been really good aginst the Preds and Stars. It's win-win.

If the D in front of either of them does what they are supposed to do there should be no problem.

Ozzie played well last time he was in Nashville. As far as the Stars go, we OWN Turco.

I will be at the game tomorrow night, heres to a 3-1 win and a game in hand.

Doesn't Ozzie have some ridiculously good record against the Stars? I realize he's been good against the Preds but we need to win every game, so start Dom against Nashville and then Ozzie against the team he's owned in his career. Babcock might be thinking that the game against Nashville could be more intense, with guys crashing the net and more opportunity for Dom to get hurt, while Dallas is a much less aggressive team -- but still, I'm confused by this call.

Im kind of hoping we land the 4th seed and face Dallas, so I wouldnt mind if we split the series one W, one L

Back to backs are rare in the postseason.

That said, if management didn't feel confident Ozzie could handle it if needed, he wouldn't be on the team. The last time we had a playoff-capable backup in the postseason was 2004--Osgood last year excluded due to injury, of course.

Seriously, look at it...in 1999 the primary reason we ended up losing was that our All-Star goaltender was injured in the final game of the first round, and came back still hurting in Game 5 of round two to a team whose confidence had been surgically removed by the Avs.

In 2003 Joseph played one of the worst rounds of his career, and was the only option we had in net. In 2004, Legace earned the start but didn't last a round, and Joseph led the team past Nashville and did everything possible against Calgary.

In 2006, Legace again failed t odeliver, except this time the best available replacement was Jimmy Howard due to a freak injury sustained by Ozzie in practice.

2000 and 2001 are the only years goalie failure was not an issue...in 2000 the Wings were simply shut down by the Avs (averaged less than two goals per game) and in 2001 Yzerman and Shanahan were injured all series. The Wings scored only 2 goals average in games Shanahan missed, which were all losses-twice in OT. The Wings averaged 4.5 goals with Shanny in the lineup that series. Shanahan's offensive presence also reduced LA's offensive ability---Wings gave up 1.5 per game with Shanny, and 3 without. Yzerman's direct impact can't be measured as easily due to the limited time he did see when he played that series--but you can believe his absence was at least as important as Shanny's.

This year's Wings are as built for the playoffs as we have seen in a long time. Probably more playoff-oriented than the 2002 team, though not as ridiculously good. the 1999 Wings were probably the last team that was as playoff-built as what we have this year.

Great post, and I gotta agree with every bit of it. Overall the last few weeks, both goaltenders have been rolling, so theres no reason not to keep it that way. And you are right on about being playoff-built. Grit vs skill is now 50/50 on the top lines Lang/Dats/Hank vs Calder/Bert/Homer, and both Datsyuk and Hank have learned to be both relentless on the puck and nearly as hard to knock off of it as anyone.

The biggest thing I have worries about right now, though, is the lack of chemistry among our forwards. Key injuries couldnt have come at a worse time, but I think we're starting to get the ball rolling.

Eh, I'd rather he went Hasek-Osgood, Dom owns the Preds and Oz rules the Stars, but whatever. Gotta have confidence in both goalies.

Not to be a smart ass, but do you know which goalie has more wins against the Preds than any other goalie?.........................................thats right OZ!!!! I believe it is fourteen wins!!!!!!

I don't understand the move, but whatever. I'm not paid to be the coach.

Anyway what pisses me off is that the Preds have never faced the Wings on a second of a back-to-back game nights. Except that once when it was a home and home. Yet two other times the Wings did.

Fri. Nov 24 Blues L 2-3 (OT) JLA

Sat. Nov 25 Preds L 2-6 GEC

Fri. Feb 23 Oilers L 3-4 (OT) JLA

Sat. Feb 24 Preds L 3-4 (OT) GEC

Edited by auxlepli