• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 WingsZR2

WingsZR2

Play for this and nothing else

• PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:34 PM

If the D in front of either of them does what they are supposed to do there should be no problem.

Ozzie played well last time he was in Nashville. As far as the Stars go, we OWN Turco.

I will be at the game tomorrow night, heres to a 3-1 win and a game in hand.
Youth and enthusiasm will only take you so far. I'd rather be old and smart than young and dumb any day.

Except for Darren Helm, he's a badass.

#22 Yzermaniac192005

Yzermaniac192005

Gordie/Sid/Ted - Stevie/Sergei/Shanny - Z/Dats/Homer.

• Gold Booster
  • 310 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:45 PM

Doesn't Ozzie have some ridiculously good record against the Stars? I realize he's been good against the Preds but we need to win every game, so start Dom against Nashville and then Ozzie against the team he's owned in his career. Babcock might be thinking that the game against Nashville could be more intense, with guys crashing the net and more opportunity for Dom to get hurt, while Dallas is a much less aggressive team -- but still, I'm confused by this call.

#23 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:04 PM

Im kind of hoping we land the 4th seed and face Dallas, so I wouldnt mind if we split the series one W, one L

QUOTE(eva unit zero @ March 28, 2007 - 09:06PM) View Post

Back to backs are rare in the postseason.

That said, if management didn't feel confident Ozzie could handle it if needed, he wouldn't be on the team. The last time we had a playoff-capable backup in the postseason was 2004--Osgood last year excluded due to injury, of course.

Seriously, look at it...in 1999 the primary reason we ended up losing was that our All-Star goaltender was injured in the final game of the first round, and came back still hurting in Game 5 of round two to a team whose confidence had been surgically removed by the Avs.

In 2003 Joseph played one of the worst rounds of his career, and was the only option we had in net. In 2004, Legace earned the start but didn't last a round, and Joseph led the team past Nashville and did everything possible against Calgary.
In 2006, Legace again failed t odeliver, except this time the best available replacement was Jimmy Howard due to a freak injury sustained by Ozzie in practice.

2000 and 2001 are the only years goalie failure was not an issue...in 2000 the Wings were simply shut down by the Avs (averaged less than two goals per game) and in 2001 Yzerman and Shanahan were injured all series. The Wings scored only 2 goals average in games Shanahan missed, which were all losses-twice in OT. The Wings averaged 4.5 goals with Shanny in the lineup that series. Shanahan's offensive presence also reduced LA's offensive ability---Wings gave up 1.5 per game with Shanny, and 3 without. Yzerman's direct impact can't be measured as easily due to the limited time he did see when he played that series--but you can believe his absence was at least as important as Shanny's.

This year's Wings are as built for the playoffs as we have seen in a long time. Probably more playoff-oriented than the 2002 team, though not as ridiculously good. the 1999 Wings were probably the last team that was as playoff-built as what we have this year.

Great post, and I gotta agree with every bit of it. Overall the last few weeks, both goaltenders have been rolling, so theres no reason not to keep it that way. And you are right on about being playoff-built. Grit vs skill is now 50/50 on the top lines Lang/Dats/Hank vs Calder/Bert/Homer, and both Datsyuk and Hank have learned to be both relentless on the puck and nearly as hard to knock off of it as anyone.

The biggest thing I have worries about right now, though, is the lack of chemistry among our forwards. Key injuries couldnt have come at a worse time, but I think we're starting to get the ball rolling.
It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude.

#24 HuntsVegas Baby

HuntsVegas Baby

Degenerate Gambler & Ice Sloth

• PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE(Heroes of Hockeytown @ March 28, 2007 - 08:13PM) View Post

Eh, I'd rather he went Hasek-Osgood, Dom owns the Preds and Oz rules the Stars, but whatever. Gotta have confidence in both goalies.

Not to be a smart ass, but do you know which goalie has more wins against the Preds than any other goalie?.........................................thats right OZ!!!! I believe it is fourteen wins!!!!!!

#25 auxlepli

auxlepli

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:31 PM

I don't understand the move, but whatever. I'm not paid to be the coach.
Anyway what pisses me off is that the Preds have never faced the Wings on a second of a back-to-back game nights. Except that once when it was a home and home. Yet two other times the Wings did.

Fri. Nov 24 Blues L 2-3 (OT) JLA
Sat. Nov 25 Preds L 2-6 GEC

Fri. Feb 23 Oilers L 3-4 (OT) JLA
Sat. Feb 24 Preds L 3-4 (OT) GEC

Edited by auxlepli, 28 March 2007 - 09:32 PM.

#26 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:31 PM

I am fine with Osgood starting vs Nashville and Hasek vs Dallas.
They both are solid vs each of these teams, so if you flip-flopped it, it wouldn't make much of a difference.
I however am glad Osgood got the start against Nashville because his goaltending has been close to spectacular vs the Preds.

With that said, Turco is a panic attack vs Detroit, so we will see how Hasek and the wings measure up vs a potential playoff matchup.

Posted Image

#27 WingsWingsWings

WingsWingsWings

1st Line Sniper

• Silver Booster
  • 755 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE(GodofHockeyStevieY19 @ March 28, 2007 - 08:45PM) View Post

I mean I love Ozzie and all, but lets be real. He's mediocre at his best.

Ozzie is not mediocre. He is and always will be a great goalie.

As many have stated before:

I think this is a smart move - Ozzie has shown some spunk against the Preds, and Dom needs to be rested leading into the Playoffs. I think it is a win-win situation. Even if the Preds win the game, I still think it is a smart move.

Edited by WingsWingsWings, 28 March 2007 - 09:59 PM.

#28 hated and proud

hated and proud

Prospect

• 48 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:04 PM

I hate the decision to start Oz against the Preds. He owns us!!! Damnit!! Can't you guys get MacDonald back and put him in net.

#29 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE(hated and proud @ March 28, 2007 - 11:04PM) View Post

I hate the decision to start Oz against the Preds. He owns us!!! Damnit!! Can't you guys get MacDonald back and put him in net.

yowza.gif yowza.gif yowza.gif yowza.gif

Posted Image

#30 Offsides

Offsides

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:10 PM

Ha ha ha, there you go! biggrin.gif

Posted Image

#31 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,025 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:13 PM

Hey now , Joeys been great for Boston lately

#NOMOREKINDL

#32 WingsWingsWings

WingsWingsWings

1st Line Sniper

• Silver Booster
  • 755 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:14 PM

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#33 hated and proud

hated and proud

Prospect

• 48 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:14 PM

And for once can't the w**** show a little panic when they fall behind!!! Damn!!

#34 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE(Detroit # 1 Fan @ March 28, 2007 - 11:13PM) View Post

Has he really? Or are you being sarcastic.
I haven't checked up on him since he said fairwell to Hockeytown.

Posted Image

#35 hated and proud

hated and proud

Prospect

• 48 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE(Detroit # 1 Fan @ March 28, 2007 - 10:13PM) View Post

It's just that in the game he started in Nashville he let in 6. So...you know... that's all were asking, let us smack you guys around once in awhile.

#36 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE(hated and proud @ March 28, 2007 - 11:16PM) View Post

It's just that in the game he started in Nashville he let in 6. So...you know... that's all were asking, let us smack you guys around once in awhile.

Over our dead bodies sly.gif

Hah only messing around.

Well your young Nashville team has to respect there elders, so we will be doing all the smacking from here on out to the playoffs tongue.gif

Posted Image

#37 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE(hated and proud @ March 28, 2007 - 10:04PM) View Post

Damn does that feel good! biggrin.gif

It's going to be a great game tonight! thumbup.gif
"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#38 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE(SouthernWingsFan @ March 28, 2007 - 09:25PM) View Post

Hasek's the starter for the playoffs, no questions really need to be asked about that, so....

Rotation for these next two games makes sense. A good bit of Osgood's limited action this year has been against Nashville and he's stepped up to the plate, so why not again. Biggest game of the season to this point (if you are worried about winning the division), why the hell not?

Besides the plan has always been, from what I have read, that Hasek doesn't play one of back-to-back games. Might as well just keep him in Detroit for Thursday's game for rest, then he goes full steam against the Stars.

As for the final four games, my guess is Hasek plays 3 of the 4.

clap.gif

Exactly. Oz has rocked against Nashville this season- standing on his head in every game. Babs would be crazy not to give Oz the thumbs up in this situation. Plus, in the end, Dallas is an easier 2 points then Nashville (damn I love that Turco chokes when he sees the winged wheel) so we might as well give Dom the oppertunity to keep us in it during the oh-so-horrible second game of a back-to-back. *sigh* Why can't the boys play well in back-to-backs? (Nashville homestand not-withstanding)
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#39 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:59 AM

goalie linky

Here's a liitle blurb from Detriot News this morning about Ozzie and Dom, and how the games remaining will be sorted out.

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#40 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:02 AM

So will Howard back Ozzie up tonight? So Dom can rest and not have to dress.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"