• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Majsheppard

Tigers are the new Wings?

Rate this topic

In sales of merchandise apparently they are.

I don't like it but it is true.

At a time when the Red Wings and Pistons are getting ready for the playoffs, Detroit is proving to be a baseball town, and people want Tigers memorabilia more than anything else.

"A lot of the Red Wings fans don't want to hear this," Every said. "But the Tigers are the new Red Wings. Our walls used to have Red Wings, but now it's all Tigers. The Tigers have put the Red Wings in the backseat."

This illustrates that the people of Detroit are very much fair weather fans and jump from bandwagon to bandwagon.

I know most everyone here will agree that Hockey is superior to Baseball and these fans are idiots. I wish that everyone could just watch what they like and there not be any problems, but this may be a sign that the Wings will get pushed to the backseat again and their broadcasts will become hidden, and their rinks empty.

I fear that things will get worse for the Wings, they need to win another championship.

Why does Detroit only care about one team at a time?

This illustrates that the people of Detroit are very much fair weather fans and jump from bandwagon to bandwagon.

I know most everyone here will agree that Hockey is superior to Baseball and these fans are idiots. I wish that everyone could just watch what they like and there not be any problems, but this may be a sign that the Wings will get pushed to the backseat again and their broadcasts will become hidden, and their rinks empty.

I fear that things will get worse for the Wings, they need to win another championship.

I have been a hardcore Tigers fan since I can remember. The Tigers were good in the 80's when the wings werent and the wings were good in the 90's when the tigers werent. Its now the 2000s and the Tigers are starting to catch back up. As long as big Mr. I. owns them both, they will both be successful and split the year summer/winter equally. Nothing wrong with backing 3 winning teams, and laughing at the Lions.

You know..I absolutely love the Tigers as well, but I hate the fact that they make it seem like all the teams are competing against each other. It's pathetic that they have to put the Wings and Pistons down just because the Tigers went to the World Series last season. Why can't they just call Detroit a great hockey, baseball, and basketball town instead of saying it's only now a baseball town, and making it seem like the Wings and Pistons don't mean anything anymore. It's dumb and im sick of it. All Detroit teams are great. They should all stick together and be one big happy family. No competition.

:angry: I'm really frustrated by this entire topic...

I'm a huge Tigers fan, have been my entire life, along with the Red Wings. I'll be honest, last year with the Tiger's in the postseason, I was glued to the TV and forgot about the Wings -- but they were just starting the season. Yes, I realize now the Tiger's are opening their new campaign and the Wings are going into their next playoff run, but I guarantee no one is putting the Red Wings in the backseat. This is still Hockeytown and people are going to be watching the Playoffs much more then the first few Tigers games. I doubt many games will even overlap but if they do, I'm sure I'll be one of the many using the "go back" button on my remote for both games, but mainly focusing on the Wings. Everyone should be happy for the Tiger's and the city and it doesn't suprise me that people are buying more Tigers stuff - mainly because most of us already have plenty of Red Wing paraphenalia (sp?). Let's face it, all these years that the Tiger's sucked, I amongst many watched them, but wasn't about to go out and spend money on a team that couldn't win. Rather I would buy an Yzerman jersey or a bobblehead or something. If both teams keep winning, eventually it will even out -- its just right now everyone wants to be a part of this Tigers team now that they're good. But theres no reason to think the Wings are taking a backseat to any team in this town.

Has the sellout streak at JLA ended yet? No? Not much to worry about then.

I live in Las Vegas, but was born in Ann Arbor. I was home visiting, and I got seats to game 3 of the ALCS last year. I left to make sure I got to JLA in time for Sabres/Wings. As I was walking out, the home run that scored the Tig's last run of the shutout win was being hit. I felt kinda bummed that I had to choose, but even though it was playoff baseball in Detroit, and they were winning the game, my heart is with the Wings.

Detroit has always been Tiger town. But if the Lions went to the Super Bowl, it would be Lion town. Here is the hierarchy.

1. Lions

2. Tigers

3. Pistons

4. Wings

That's how it will always be in a dominately black city like Detroit. No black players on the team = no love from the brothers. And if the Wings win the Cup it will be Honkeytown.. I mean Hockeytown all over again, with the local reporters weraing Wings jerseys and the parades and the governor shoving it in the opposing team's face. But if the Lions or Tigers win their respective championships, all Hell would break loose.

You know, I was never a fan of baseball. I just don't get it. It's not entertaining to me in the slightest. Maybe it's because my parents are European and never really liked it either, or maybe I just don't like it. I'll always support Detroit sports, and it's cool it see our teams win, but I'm not going to go out and buy a Tiger jersey because they went to the World Series.

When I came to WMU in the fall though, for people here, it was a different story. Before the Tigers went on their run, not many people were wearing Tiger apparel or enough to really make me notice. The Tigers beat the Yankees, and bandwagon decided it was a good time to piss me off.

Guys started wearing Tiger jerseys of players they knew nothing about. I asked a girl who had pink D hat on who were some of her favorite players and she could only name Ivan Rodriguez (Then she said "but at least my hat is in style" and giggled :puke: ) I don't understand how you can pay money for a team's merchandise in which you know nothing about. I would be embarrassed especially if people started asking me questions about the team.

I was born in Detroit and I love all the teams and support their success, but when the Tigers started winning I was not going to jump out and buy their s*** because it's "in style." Are we so shallow as fans to float from team to team and base our fashion on their success?

If the correct answer is yes, just wait until the Lions start winning. :nonono:

Detroit has always been Tiger town. But if the Lions went to the Super Bowl, it would be Lion town. Here is the hierarchy.

1. Lions

2. Tigers

3. Pistons

4. Wings

That's how it will always be in a dominately black city like Detroit. No black players on the team = no love from the brothers. And if the Wings win the Cup it will be Honkeytown.. I mean Hockeytown all over again, with the local reporters weraing Wings jerseys and the parades and the governor shoving it in the opposing team's face. But if the Lions or Tigers win their respective championships, all Hell would break loose.

lions... not gunna happen anytime soon... they are #4

technically the pistons aren't in Detroit, so its a 1 and 1a scenario with the wings and tigers :P

In all reality, there really isn't a favorite Detroit team, the wings have sold out for the past 11 years, the tigers and pistons are back to championship form... The teams are not competing, they are supporting, I can't count how many times have the wings players worn tigers colors and publicly supported the tigers, as well as tigers players going to the wings games. Its all love in Detroit between the teams.

Who cares if people are enjoying the tigers again. i for one love it because you couldn't get anyone 2 years ago to watch a game, and now people fight to watch them. the wings will always be number one in my book but why not enjoy the tigers for a while.

technically the pistons aren't in Detroit, so its a 1 and 1a scenario with the wings and tigers :P

In all reality, there really isn't a favorite Detroit team, the wings have sold out for the past 11 years, the tigers and pistons are back to championship form... The teams are not competing, they are supporting, I can't count how many times have the wings players worn tigers colors and publicly supported the tigers, as well as tigers players going to the wings games. Its all love in Detroit between the teams.

Yeah, Pistons go to Finals, Ben put on Cadillac building over Stevie Y. Ben goes to Bulls, Pudge put over Ben. Who's on the Cadillac building now.

The players can love each othe rall they want (***) but what matters in this topic is what teamis most popular in the city of Detroit. So...

1. Lions- no matter how bad they suck people will always talk about them.

2. Tigers- if they had won the Series, the city would be painted in stripes right now.

3. Pistons- last championship team The D has and are now perennial contenders.

4. Wings- 3 straight early exits, niche sport in America.

I've always liked the Tigers, even in the bad times. That's probably because next to hockey, baseball is my favorite sport. But still though, I love the Tigers and will watch them if their good or bad.

The primary fact about Detroit is the city has fair weather fans at the turn of every corner. Teams like the Tigers, Wings, and Pistons struggle for attendance when their bad but do great for attendance when their good. Only the Lions manage to dodge the bullet, which the fair weather colors aren't shown so much. That suprises me too, because the Lions organization as a whole is a complete joke. But as for the other three, it mostly is the interworkings of fans who only care when the team is good.

Edited by Kp-Wings

This town will always be a football town 1st and baseball town 2nd.

The fact is, there are way more Tigers fans than Wings fans in this area if anything the fair-weather fans are Wings fans. Look at this year? The team started off slow and didn't have the big stars anymore and what happened? The Joe had plenty of empty seats.

I've been a Tigers fan for a lot of years as well and while I have purchased hats here and there, since last season I have found myself buying more and more Tigers gear. I went to the same amount of games last season as I have the last 10 years but when the team does well it's very natural to get caught up in it and buy stuff.

If the Wings go through back-to-back seasons of not making the playoffs, even homeless people will be able to get tickets at the Joe.

Give the Tigers their due. They've created an excitment for a town that truly loves it's baseball.

I think people support the team that is doing the best at the time...granted all are doing well yet the Tigers have shown the best chance for winning a champ. Everyone likes all the teams usually....showing support for the best team at the time, is nothing out of the ordinary.

Sorry, but I can't agree that hockey is superior to baseball. Better fights maybe.

There are a lot of bandwagon Tigers fans out there, but there's also a lot of people who were Tigers fans, but they just hadn't had anything to cheer about in 13 years and came back to the team.

The two most top sports team merchandise I have seen people wearing a lot around the metro Detroit area are the Detroit Tigers and the Detroit Red Wings. Once in a blue moon you see someone wearing something of the Detroit Pistons and Detroit Lions.

I also have seen a lot of people wear a Tigers ball cap when they were sucking.

The Tigers need to have 5 straight seasons of success for them to be the Red Wings. This is what I believe. Right now the Red Wings are on top as far as Detroit Sports goes.

Edited by Red Wings 516

The Tigers need to have 5 straight seasons of success for them to be the Red Wings. This is what I believe. Right now the Red Wings are on top as far as Detroit Sports goes.

That may be true, but the focus of the article isn't that the Tigers have topped the Wings in terms of on field performance.

Lions are not number 4. If the Lions did so much as have a .500 season, it would become Lions city. If the Lions even got a sniff at the playoffs, the town would be painted Blue and Silver. Im willing to bet more Michiganders sit around and watch the Lions lose every Sunday than watch the Wings put on a show 3-4 times a week.

And before anybody jumps down Detroits throat for this, this is how any city is when there are other Major League Sports around. People like to talk about how big hockey is in Calgary, Edmonton, Buffalo, etc. But how many NBA, NFL, and MLB teams do they have to compete with?? (I use these leagues for Canadian teams as well b/c Toronto has the same problems with the Raptors and the Blue Jays). Let alone an MLB and an NBA team that are just as successful as the NHL team.

what if the tigers go right to the bottom of the standings again, with the parady in baseball it wouldn't surprise me.

then who's back on top?

i heard zero about the tigers,...Zero until there run this year. If they go back to sucking i'll here about as much as i did before the run.

detroit is a football town, no doubt. when im with friends in times right now, none of them will talk hockey with me but they will talk about who the lions will take #2 and the pistons and their playoff hopes. No one will talk red wings hockey, let alone hockey in general. As someone said before I guarantee more people watch lthe 3-13 lions play every sunday than the potential NHL leading Red Wings. Hockey is the least watched sport of the 4 and thats the way it will stay for a while im sad to say. Just not as marketable to people anymore. O well, ill stick with hockey. My 4 goes

Red Wings

Lions(yea, i still love em, i dont care)

Pistons

Tigers

Lions

Tigers

Pistons

Wings

That just the way it is in Detroit. Theres a reason radio shows continue talking about the Lions year round.

and case in point...im drinking out of a Lions coffee cup right now!

I agree with the first two but I really think it's Wings >>>> Pistons.

Detroit is without a doubt basketball over hockey though, one of the best ways to gauge it is how much coverage each gets on sports radio. They go with the most popular stuff.

Edited by Lou_Siffer

and case in point...im drinking out of a Lions coffee cup right now!

Detroit is without a doubt basketball over hockey though, the best way to gauge it is how much coverage each gets on sports radio. They go with the most popular stuff.

yes, but who gets the airtime on FSN? Wings hands down.