• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 LIDDYGIBBY5

LIDDYGIBBY5

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 935 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:34 AM

There was a lot of talk during the Nashville game last night about who would be the odd man out when Z comes back. Who does everyone think should sit if and when Hank is healty. My pick is Maltby. He has been taking some stupid penalties, and there are multiple people who can do his PK job. The Wings have 8 forwards who can kill penalties well. Dats, Hank, Calder, Cleary, Franzen, Draper, Filp, and Maltby. Everyone besides Maltby offers some offensive upside. They all work just as hard in the corners and don't take the dumb penalties. Huddler needs to play! He has potential to score some big playoff goals and for his size, he is a pretty tough along the boards, and behind the net. Filp has proven himself as a staple in this lineup. So the question is, who sits?
"You're playing worse every day and right now you're playing like the middle of next week." Herb Brooks

2 16

33 To The Rafters!!

#2 kozac

kozac

another soft russian

• PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE(LIDDYGIBBY5 @ March 30, 2007 - 08:34AM) View Post

There was a lot of talk during the Nashville game last night about who would be the odd man out when Z comes back. Who does everyone think should sit if and when Hank is healty. My pick is Maltby. He has been taking some stupid penalties, and there are multiple people who can do his PK job. The Wings have 8 forwards who can kill penalties well. Dats, Hank, Calder, Cleary, Franzen, Draper, Filp, and Maltby. Everyone besides Maltby offers some offensive upside. They all work just as hard in the corners and don't take the dumb penalties. Huddler needs to play! He has potential to score some big playoff goals and for his size, he is a pretty tough along the boards, and behind the net. Filp has proven himself as a staple in this lineup. So the question is, who sits?

I say Cleary. I know he just came back but still he's been kind of invisible ever since his hot streak ended back in December or something. Maltby is a playoff veteran and he gets under opposing players skin better than anyone else on our team besides maybe Chelios and Markov so i would keep him in the lineup. It's most likely going to be one of the rookies though.

#3 Cicada

Cicada

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:46 AM

Samuelson's the odd man out imho
IPB Image

#4 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:50 AM

It will be one of the kids.

I'd say Hudler.

Unfortunately.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#5 shannyfan1414

shannyfan1414

We will miss you Shanny!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:50 AM

I would have to go with either Maltby or Cleary. I don't see them being productive during the playoffs and they are easly replaced in my mind.

I just want to see them give Hudler a chance.

Thanks TeeMan

#6 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:57 AM

It will be Flip.

Should be Sammy.

Maltby and Cleary will not sit during the play-offs. Maltby will neve rsit any game in a Red Wing uniform.

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy.

#7 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE(Wings_Dynasty @ March 30, 2007 - 08:57AM) View Post

It will be Flip.

Should be Sammy.

Maltby and Cleary will not sit during the play-offs. Maltby will neve rsit any game in a Red Wing uniform.

Did you see last night’s game? Ken Daniels said that Filppula will definitely play in the playoffs, and I’m assuming he would know the situation pretty well. He kept praising his composure under pressure and his decision making. Flip won’t be scratched. Late in the game Filppula was promoted above Hudler, which sends out a pretty telling picture.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#8 FinWing

FinWing

Vaasa red & white

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:05 AM

My money says no way will Flip sit. Too bad it will probably be Hudler. I'd rather see Sammy or Malts out but don't see that happening.
Thank You TeeMan

#9 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:24 AM

Maltby hits, and forechecks.

So does Cleary.

Neither will sit.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#10 Zeta Power 40

Zeta Power 40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:28 AM

Huds and Flipper must play. Sammy should sit.
Red Wings, My Red Wings, Come On Wings, Lets Fly!!!
IPB Image
^Thanks Hockey13playa^

#11 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE(rick zombo @ March 30, 2007 - 08:50AM) View Post

It will be one of the kids.

I'd say Hudler.

Unfortunately.

Unfortunately, I fear you are correct.

Babs wants to play Hudler with how strong he's been down the stretch, but Samuelsson will stay in the lineup. thumbdown.gif

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25, 30 March 2007 - 09:30 AM.

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#12 Zion

Zion

Hall-of-Famer

• Bronze Booster
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE(Never Forget Mac #25 @ March 30, 2007 - 09:30AM) View Post

Babs wants to play Hudler with how strong he's been down the stretch, but Samuelsson will stay in the lineup. thumbdown.gif

Yuck.
Hockeytown - No Limits

#13 Sparty13

Sparty13

Rookie

• Gold Booster
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:33 AM

Didn't Maltby get a couple goals in the first game last year in the playoffs?... I wouldn't sit him

#14 Zeta Power 40

Zeta Power 40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE(Sparty13 @ March 30, 2007 - 09:33AM) View Post
Didn't Maltby get a couple goals in the first game last year in the playoffs?... I wouldn't sit him

yeah he got the tying goal and double OT winner in game 1 last year.

Red Wings, My Red Wings, Come On Wings, Lets Fly!!!
IPB Image
^Thanks Hockey13playa^

#15 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:43 AM

There's no reason to sit Maltby IMO. He's still a good agitator and shut-down player alongside Draper, which will be huge come playoff time.

The choice is clear: Vote Samuelsson for the Bench!
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#16 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE(Never Forget Mac #25 @ March 30, 2007 - 09:43AM) View Post

There's no reason to sit Maltby IMO. He's still a good agitator and shut-down player alongside Draper, which will be huge come playoff time.

The choice is clear: Vote Samuelsson for the Bench!

Samuelsson has a mere 3 points in his last 14 games.

Filppula has 7 and Hudler 10. I just cannot see why Sammy should play.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#17 DEVILSWATERBOY

DEVILSWATERBOY

DEVILSWATERBOY

• PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:55 AM

Sammy should ride the pine

#18 Louisville

Louisville

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE(Never Forget Mac #25 @ March 30, 2007 - 10:30AM) View Post

Why? I don't understand.

Especially since Huder has played so well and Samuelsson has not...is Babcock afraid to tell him how it is? Does he just not want a two rookies in the playoffs? Is he afraid to hurt Sammy's feelings?

I just don't see what Samuelsson provides for this team at all right now, if he'd at least work hard in the corners he'd have an argument. Obviously that is not the case.

Edited by Louisville, 30 March 2007 - 10:09 AM.

#19 MargaritavilleRedWinger

MargaritavilleRedWinger

Jr. Prospect

• 24 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:18 AM

I think Maltby should be in the playoff lineup.He can be (hopefully) a gritty playoff- type pest.It will probably be Hudler or Filppula that sits.They each have upsides.Hudler has been a hot goal scorer lately and Filppula is strong on the puck.I would not want to have to make that decision.I keep hearing and reading what a great playoff performer that Lazy Lang is.I hope so, because if he plays like he has been,his lazy passes and lack of hustle are going to cost the Wings a game or two.If he doesn't step it up,maybe he should sit a game or two and watch.The same goes for Samuelsson.It's annoying as hell when he lets it rip from the blueline without looking for a pass.Playoff goals are hard to come by.He needs to look for a pass once in a while.It's a team sport for cripes sake!!

That's just my opinion.

#20 Turretin

Turretin

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:20 AM

Hudler should play over Sameulsson for a number of reasons. One of which is that I want him to have playoff experience for the future. Hudler is more of a sure part of our team in the future than Samuelsson is.

Think of the future, and stop being a **** to Hudler, Babcock!
"Those 'technicalities' have a name, Bobby. They're called the Bill of Rights."
-Hank Hill