No registered users viewing this page.

LIDDYGIBBY5

Odd Man Out

Rate this topic

hudler-has proving that he can play solid hockey, and produce

flip-has shown no flaws, glimpses of greatest, plays smart and produces

maltby-is a playoff player, grinder and gritty, good defensively

cleay-also good defensively, along the boards, gritty

sammy-always manages to look awful, shoots when he shouldn't, passes when he shouldn't

umm, this isn't rocket science Babcock...the choice is clear...Sammy

Guest Crymson

Why do you say this? Filpulla has proven himself an extremely valuable player; he can score, playmake, hit, and kill penalties. He has proven himself perhaps a better center than Lang at the moment. Further, Babcock has shown tremendous confidence in him, giving him first-line minutes and consistent time on the PK. With all of this, what indicates that Babcock will choose to sit him? Even when Zetterberg returns, Flip is simply FAR Too valuable at center for us to ever consider scratching him; all signs from Babs show him starting throughout the playoffs.

I agree with you guys, Sammy should sit, but it will likely be Hudler.

I still think Flip. Hudler has been hotter lately with the Lang and Calder line, and he would be a better fit on thw 4th line when Z returns and Bert is placed on the 2nd line. Playing with Franzen and Sammy is a better fit for a passer/sniper/floater than it is for Flip who is more of a corners and split the D and drive the net kind of guy.

But, I would MUCH rather sit Sammy. Let Hudler and Flip play with Franzen and that would be a HUGE energy line. But Babs won't sit Sammy because he's a veteran like Lang and Maltby.

yeah he got the tying goal and double OT winner in game 1 last year.

anyone remember those goals? to tie it he pretty much crosschecked the puck into the net, and the winner hit a defensemans skate and went in.

im not saying we should sit maltby, but the reason he is going to play definately isnt for his goal scoring.

if you gave me the choice, i would sit sammy.

hudler-has proving that he can play solid hockey, and produce

flip-has shown no flaws, glimpses of greatest, plays smart and produces

maltby-is a playoff player, grinder and gritty, good defensively

cleay-also good defensively, along the boards, gritty

sammy-always manages to look awful, shoots when he shouldn't, passes when he shouldn't

umm, this isn't rocket science Babcock...the choice is clear...Sammy

bingo.

i've liked how maltby has been playing lately

:thumbup:

plus he's more valuable to the Wings anyway, with his PK.

It will be Flip.

Should be Sammy.

Maltby and Cleary will not sit during the play-offs. Maltby will never sit any game in a Red Wing uniform.

It should definitely be Sammy. It will be Flip. I hope they don't sit Hudler.

And they would never sit Maltby.

If Babcock benches Hudler or Filpula in favour of some other less useful players, which I'm afraid of, there wouldn't be any better way to demotivate both kids more.

Better trade them than burry them such way.

Edited by Mila

What a great problem to have. The rookies are making it hard on the Wings to bench them. I'd even throw Kopecky's name in the mix for a useful big body if we need to do some pounding one game.

anyone remember those goals? to tie it he pretty much crosschecked the puck into the net, and the winner hit a defensemans skate and went in.

im not saying we should sit maltby, but the reason he is going to play definately isnt for his goal scoring.

if you gave me the choice, i would sit sammy.

i would rather have a guy who scores ugly goals (maltby) than a guy who takes usless 50 foot wrist shots (sammy).

What a great problem to have. The rookies are making it hard on the Wings to bench them. I'd even throw Kopecky's name in the mix for a useful big body if we need to do some pounding one game.

Agreed. :thumbup:

Obviously Sammy is most people's choice, and you know...it might happen, but I don't think it's very likely.

Sammy actually played a pretty good game tonight.

However, the kids have earned their chances.

Samuelsson is a streaky player for better/worse, hopefully he can go on a good trend to end the regular season and carry that momentum, but if it were up to me, at this point in time, he'd be sitting (if everybody was healthy).

Samulesson probably and should be sat. Nothing against him or anything, but we have enough guys who play the exact same way.

I'd also like to put something forward here: Kopecky has about as much of a chance to make the roster as Josh Langfeld scoring a hat trick. Please people. Kopecky hasn't played in so long, and judging by recent reports, he probably won't be cleared to play at all for the rest of this season. I just don't see him coming in after missing almost 4 months and make a real impact. Give the spot to Hudler or Flip.

I tend to agree with most of the people on here that Sammy should sit. Maltby will make a great Playoff grinder. Even if he doesn't score, he will agitate, and you need that in the Playoffs, and you just don't see Sammy do that enough.

If Babcock follows his own philosophy, he'll sit Sammy. He wants players that drive to the net. Sammy is the exact opposite of that. He's a big, strong guy, but he's clearly more comfortable playing a peremiter game.

I have a suspision that unless something changes (like Sammy producing) he'll be the one sitting, at least to start. Take a look at his minutes the past 5 games:

10:34

11:58

10:20

11:31

12:04

No exactly a ringing endorsement.