• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LIDDYGIBBY5

Odd Man Out

Rate this topic

There was a lot of talk during the Nashville game last night about who would be the odd man out when Z comes back. Who does everyone think should sit if and when Hank is healty. My pick is Maltby. He has been taking some stupid penalties, and there are multiple people who can do his PK job. The Wings have 8 forwards who can kill penalties well. Dats, Hank, Calder, Cleary, Franzen, Draper, Filp, and Maltby. Everyone besides Maltby offers some offensive upside. They all work just as hard in the corners and don't take the dumb penalties. Huddler needs to play! He has potential to score some big playoff goals and for his size, he is a pretty tough along the boards, and behind the net. Filp has proven himself as a staple in this lineup. So the question is, who sits?

There was a lot of talk during the Nashville game last night about who would be the odd man out when Z comes back. Who does everyone think should sit if and when Hank is healty. My pick is Maltby. He has been taking some stupid penalties, and there are multiple people who can do his PK job. The Wings have 8 forwards who can kill penalties well. Dats, Hank, Calder, Cleary, Franzen, Draper, Filp, and Maltby. Everyone besides Maltby offers some offensive upside. They all work just as hard in the corners and don't take the dumb penalties. Huddler needs to play! He has potential to score some big playoff goals and for his size, he is a pretty tough along the boards, and behind the net. Filp has proven himself as a staple in this lineup. So the question is, who sits?

I say Cleary. I know he just came back but still he's been kind of invisible ever since his hot streak ended back in December or something. Maltby is a playoff veteran and he gets under opposing players skin better than anyone else on our team besides maybe Chelios and Markov so i would keep him in the lineup. It's most likely going to be one of the rookies though.

It will be Flip.

Should be Sammy.

Maltby and Cleary will not sit during the play-offs. Maltby will neve rsit any game in a Red Wing uniform.

Did you see last night’s game? Ken Daniels said that Filppula will definitely play in the playoffs, and I’m assuming he would know the situation pretty well. He kept praising his composure under pressure and his decision making. Flip won’t be scratched. Late in the game Filppula was promoted above Hudler, which sends out a pretty telling picture.

It will be one of the kids.

I'd say Hudler.

Unfortunately.

Unfortunately, I fear you are correct.

Babs wants to play Hudler with how strong he's been down the stretch, but Samuelsson will stay in the lineup. :thumbdown:

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Babs wants to play Hudler with how strong he's been down the stretch, but Samuelsson will stay in the lineup. :thumbdown:

Yuck.

There's no reason to sit Maltby IMO. He's still a good agitator and shut-down player alongside Draper, which will be huge come playoff time.

The choice is clear: Vote Samuelsson for the Bench!

Samuelsson has a mere 3 points in his last 14 games.

Filppula has 7 and Hudler 10. I just cannot see why Sammy should play.

Why? I don't understand.

Especially since Huder has played so well and Samuelsson has not...is Babcock afraid to tell him how it is? Does he just not want a two rookies in the playoffs? Is he afraid to hurt Sammy's feelings?

I just don't see what Samuelsson provides for this team at all right now, if he'd at least work hard in the corners he'd have an argument. Obviously that is not the case.

Edited by Louisville

I think Maltby should be in the playoff lineup.He can be (hopefully) a gritty playoff- type pest.It will probably be Hudler or Filppula that sits.They each have upsides.Hudler has been a hot goal scorer lately and Filppula is strong on the puck.I would not want to have to make that decision.I keep hearing and reading what a great playoff performer that Lazy Lang is.I hope so, because if he plays like he has been,his lazy passes and lack of hustle are going to cost the Wings a game or two.If he doesn't step it up,maybe he should sit a game or two and watch.The same goes for Samuelsson.It's annoying as hell when he lets it rip from the blueline without looking for a pass.Playoff goals are hard to come by.He needs to look for a pass once in a while.It's a team sport for cripes sake!!

That's just my opinion.

Hudler should play over Sameulsson for a number of reasons. One of which is that I want him to have playoff experience for the future. Hudler is more of a sure part of our team in the future than Samuelsson is.

Think of the future, and stop being a dick to Hudler, Babcock!

There's no reason to sit Maltby IMO. He's still a good agitator and shut-down player alongside Draper, which will be huge come playoff time.

The choice is clear: Vote Samuelsson for the Bench!

I respectfully disagree. Maltby hasn't been an effective aggitator for the past two seasons. He's a very good reciever of aggitation by constantly getting glove washed by the other team after the whistle. But when you take bad penalties like he did last night, the other teams have every reason to try and provoke a stupid penalty. It's not cause he proked the action, it cause they know he's capable of taking dump penalties. He's still a valuable player to our team, but not a good aggitator anymore.

The two forwards with the least ice time last night against Nashville were Maltby (10min) and Sammy (11min). Give Maltby's penalty parade early on he probably would have played similiar ice time to Draper/Cleary (13-15min). I'm hoping Babs is seeing what the majority of LGW posters are seeing; Sammy has been useless. His "shots" are not the product of good decision making and his physical play has been waning to say the least. Hudler looked good last night as did Flip. Cleary is a hard worker along with Maltby and both can kill the hell out of penalties so their value is a little more than their point totals would indicate.

I hope Babs sees what we see and sits Sammy down for a few, he can always change it up if we struggle, but for now Sammy deserves to be the "odd man out".

Sammy should ride the pine

Why? I don't understand.

Especially since Huder has played so well and Samuelsson has not...is Babcock afraid to tell him how it is? Does he just not want a two rookies in the playoffs? Is he afraid to hurt Sammy's feelings?

I just don't see what Samuelsson provides for this team at all right now, if he'd at least work hard in the corners he'd have an argument. Obviously that is not the case.

I couldn't agree more with you guys. The problem is that Hudler and Filppula are the noobs this season. Of course both are making a strong case for having it not be them who sits. It's not going to be Filppula, and Samuelsson will get the BS nod. I'm not saying I agree with it, its just what I see happening come April 11th.

Trust me, I hope I'm wrong.

Sidenote: You don't have to argue with me how worthless Samuelsson is. I lead the charge on that front.

I respectfully disagree. Maltby hasn't been an effective aggitator for the past two seasons. He's a very good reciever of aggitation by constantly getting glove washed by the other team after the whistle. But when you take bad penalties like he did last night, the other teams have every reason to try and provoke a stupid penalty. It's not cause he proked the action, it cause they know he's capable of taking dump penalties. He's still a valuable player to our team, but not a good aggitator anymore.

I understand your POV, but you have to remember that the regular season is extremely different than the playoffs in regards to the frequency of playing teams. Very rarely do teams play each other 3 times in a row in the regular season, but when they do, you can see a nastiness that wasn't there in the first game. Players start to get annoyed seeing the same guys like Maltby every other night for possibly 2 weeks do what they are famous for. It may not agitate players as much in the regular season, because generally after the game ends one team is on a flight going to another city and doesn't see the team they just played for a few weeks. In playoffs you can bet Maltby will get under the skin of his opponents when games 3-4-5-6 roll around.