• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest LivingtheDream

Ripping on Nashville Fans!

Rate this topic

Guest LivingtheDream

Whew, check out this scathing commentary (all true in my book) on the Tennesean.com

Sure sounds like a lot of what we hear here on LGW. Come on, I know one of you wrote this. Who was it?

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...449/1002/SPORTS

It was interesting watching the game on NHL Center Ice last night; (I had the opportunity to pick up tickets but would rather eat shards of broken glass than support the Nashville franchise monetarily).

During one of the stoppages, the Pred announcers described a little girl holding a sign that read something to the effect that the Wings' Chris Chelios cries more than she does. Laugh? I thought I'd die! Especially ironic when one considers that the player throwing most of the tantrums last evening was Nashville's Jason Arnott.

The chants of 'YOU SUCK' get funnier every game. I particularly enjoy hearing it applied to certain first-ballot Hall of Famers, like Chelios, or Nick Lidstrom, or, this Saturday, Mike Modano. Predator fans are such a class act, I have to believe they'd have chanted the same thing to Wayne Gretzky or Gordie Howe. Un-be-lieve-able.

And yet, if it weren't for these horrid Red Wings, and their legions of followers, it's doubtful that this game would have sold-out. Here, in Nashville, you have a team battling for first place throughout most of the season and its' fan base rivals that of O.J. Simpson's. What's wrong with this picture?

The problem is that ownership, in a curious marketing decision, has decided to promote the NHL appealing to every prurient human interest. Going to a Preds game is not about watching skilled athletes playing the fastest team sport in the world, showing sportsmanship, and cheering the home team on to victory - it's about drinking, being rude, braying insults, and behaving as though you ought to be locked up.

The team has done wonders to make sure the obnoxious yahoos in the cheap seats are made to feel welcome, then scratch their heads when corporate investment dries up. Would YOU want to entertain potential clients in such an atmosphere? Maybe - if you were in the business of selling pepper spray, mobile homes, or do-it-yourself lobotomy kits.

The Nashville franchise gambled heavily on the acquisition of Peter Forsberg hoping that a deep run into the playoffs would bring in the revenue needed to offset the mediocre attendance figures they've had this year. If they get eliminated early, they simply won't have the scratch to bring back any of their big June 1 free agents: Forsberg, Paul Kariya, Scott Hartnell, and Kimmo Timmonen. Take those players off the squad and the 2007-8 Pred/Admirals are sure to give Chicago and Columbus a run for their money.

Yes, Pred fans, Detroit sucks. That's why they just completed a 6-1-1 record against your homeboys. That's also why they've racked-up their 7th consecutive 100+ point season, (one behind the NHL record). It might also explain why they remain, year in and year out, the biggest road draw in the league. And, I'm sure, it's a factor in the plans to build new arena in Detroit (estimates range between 30 - 35 thousand in seat capacity) which they'll probably continue to sell-out.

The Wings suck. Anaheim sucks. The Sabres suck. Dallas sucks. Everyone is a loser... except the guys in the sabre-tooth sweaters.

Geez... give it a rest, already...

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:42 am

you know what's funny? the fact that several weeks agi there were a couple people on here arguing the point that Nashville was a hockey city.

yeah i was in on that and i got told off by even wings fans hahahahaha

i even posted news articals about the low attendance and a preds fan that we all know that posts on this board had every excuse as to why it was false...look..yeah you may be getting some people going to the games but its bad when you see more wings fans the preds fans at the gaylord.

Did the author of that article lose his job yet? :D

What makes Nashville fans look silly is their indiscriminant boo'ing and moaning and razzing of players who quite simply don't "deserve" it. It's ridiculous, and it makes the fans there look really dumb, taken as a whole. I am sure there are good, knowledgeable fans there who are embarrassed by the behavior of the rest of the herd, however. Too bad they get tarred with one brush.

It's enough that we can laugh at them, and local journalists recognize it and call them out for it. Maybe in time, the Preds' fanbase will grow out of this immature phase, eh? ;)

Edited by puckloo39

I thought it was pretty lame. But I wouldn't expect anyone here to actually understand anyway...

not so, L11. You are respected here. Read my post. You can't control the behavior of some fans, and no one thinks you and tons of other Preds fans are included in the author's piece cited.

not so, L11. You are respected here. Read my post. You can't control the behavior of some fans, and no one thinks you and tons of other Preds fans are included in the author's piece cited.

But i'm one of the ones who taunts at every opportunity and fully enjoy telling even the best of the best that they suck. I've tried more than once to explain to LGW why the rest of the league sucks, but it never works.

But i'm one of the ones who taunts at every opportunity and fully enjoy telling even the best of the best that they suck. I've tried more than once to explain to LGW why the rest of the league sucks, but it never works.

I find that hard to believe. ;)

Even the best players can play better, let's face it. I do think it's funny to hear fans taunt players who are beating them consistently. It just looks silly for fans to razz Ozzie when he once again handled the nets beautifully and came away with the "W". I understand goalie-chants when a 'tender has let in a handful of stinkers. Then, it sort of makes sense, see?

Not trying to argue. Lots of fans enjoy the insults, taunts, and razzing, and it's part of the game, I guess. Context makes a big difference! ;)

:lol: We just can't seem to get it through our thick skulls! :lol:

I thought it was pretty lame. But I wouldn't expect anyone here to actually understand anyway...

I'm not particularly fond of it either. Every team's fans say the other team sucks, I don't care what name is on the sweater. That's what they're supposed to say. Nothing new there. What do they expect them to yell? "Red Wings Suck! Except for the Hall of Famers!?"

It's neither here nor there, but we do own the Preds this year, that's a fact.

esteef

BTW, the OJ comment is a little over the line.

Edited by esteef

Yes I also find it annoying when they must chant the goalie's name after one goal. But yet the goalie always manages the win whenever they do that most of the time, hehe Strange isn't it.

:lol: We just can't seem to get it through our thick skulls! :lol:

it's understandable though, you have to grow them thicker to keep your brains warm during the michigan winters :clown:

Yes I also find it annoying when they must chant the goalie's name after one goal. But yet the goalie always manages the win whenever they do that most of the time, hehe Strange isn't it.

very strange.. with our 27-7-4 home record.

if EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas, I would assume that includes Skulls

youre probably one of the few preds fans i can stand that i know...maybe proudestmonkey too