• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Dynasty

Eliminate 2 Teams

Rate this topic

Pick 2  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted to remove Florida and Edmonton. But I had a hard time picking a canadian team. I would rather move Phoenix back to Winnipeg. Florida and Nashville should also be sent elsewhere like to Hamilton ON, and somewhere colder than Nashville.

Nashville will be gone in a couple years anyways. Carolina has had 2 teams make it to the cup finals and one even won the cup and they still dont support the team. Two teams in Florida is one too many. Atlanta is going to end up in Vegas.

The only Canadian teams that make sence to get rid of would be Vancouver or Ottawa. The history of those team isnt as deep.

i would actually like to see L.A. on there instead of San Jose. Why do you need two hockey teams as close to each other as L.A. and Anaheim are? San Jose is in the middle of the state, then L.A. and Anaheim are like a half hour away from each other. Get rid of one of them.

I voted FL and Edmonton. I gave this some pretty good thought and decided on my reasons for doing so.

One: While eliminating places in the south like Nashville, Atlanta, Carolina, and so forth seems to make sense at first, I really think it's a good idea not to if they can generate enough fans (Nashville seems to be doing that well enough) and keep the revenue flowing. Why? Well, it spreads the NHL out over more physical turf overall, and while it makes sense that hockey is a 'northern sport' so to speak, if they're going to be a national level, large sport, like football or soccer, that's something that needs to be got over. And if you look at the southern teams (Nashville, Carolina, FL/TB, Atlanta, and if you want to increase the spread a little St. Louis and Dallas), they make a pretty even spread across the Southeastern US.

Florida does not need more than 1 hockey team.. their fan base needs to stick around 1 team for the moment. As someone born and raised in Florida, I chose to get rid of Florida over TB? Why? Several reasons, some logical and some personal. Personal reasons are that my grandmother lives near TB and I can always go watch a game (and maybe catch the Wings playing them!) while visiting there. I also like their logo better (I know that the name Panthers was chosen because there was this big save the FL panther thing going on around the same time team was created). As for logical reasons, TB has been around longer, they make for a decent underdog and TB is already a pretty good center of sports in Florida (Buccaneers, the Orlando basketball team is a short distance away..). It's better geographically centered around the TB/St Pete/Orlando/Sarasota-Bradenburg/Miami area. Oh, and TB is certainly nicer than Jacksonville, which is a frigging cockroach infested craphole. Hell, Lynyrd Skynyrd was from Jacksonville and the place sucked so much they preferred to write a song about frigging ALABAMA.

As for the Canadian teams, well, I'd rather not have picked a Canadian team.. but Edmonton was the obvious choice. The others have a good geographical spread and are all major cities, not to mention they have rich history.

Now, if I could pick ANY 2 teams, I'd still keep FL in there, but my second choice of a team to ditch would be Anaheim hands down. Cali already has a plethora of hockey teams to choose from, particularly SoCal, and they're NEVER going to get over that Disney team stigma and it's always going to make them a joke. Throw out the fact that their logo is about the least menacing thing over, a frigging duck. I mean sure, you can argue that the Penguins are an avian too, but hey, atleast penguins have a cool factor, and atleast there's a major bad guy called The Penguin. Tell me where the hell you can find The Duck? What would he do, run around and yell AAAAFLAAAAC at people?

Anyhow, there's my choices and my logic.

From the standpoint of answering the question, I voted Florida and Calgary.

I eliminated any team from consideration that had won a Cup recently or had some tradition behind it. Calgary in my eyes had the least tradition IMHO, although some of you are free to dispute that.

From the standpoint of being a dictator and making my own stipulations, I would not eliminate a Canadian team. A lot of those areas have suffered economically and I think having a hockey team is huge for the local morale.

It would be tempting to eliminate the Ducks, but since that is the closest NHL team to where I live and can drive to to see the Wings, I would only do it if I could move the Kings to Anaheim.

I would eliminate Florida and Columbus.

From the standpoint of answering the question, I voted Florida and Calgary.

I eliminated any team from consideration that had won a Cup recently or had some tradition behind it. Calgary in my eyes had the least tradition IMHO, although some of you are free to dispute that.

From the standpoint of being a dictator and making my own stipulations, I would not eliminate a Canadian team. A lot of those areas have suffered economically and I think having a hockey team is huge for the local morale.

It would be tempting to eliminate the Ducks, but since that is the closest NHL team to where I live and can drive to to see the Wings, I would only do it if I could move the Kings to Anaheim.

I would eliminate Florida and Columbus.

EDIT: Half the people there (CBJ) probably root for the Wings anyway.

EDIT#2: Sorry, hit the wrong button.

Edited by octopusonice

I agree with most that there's no need to eliminate a Canadien team and tho I voted for Phoenix, because I feel sorry for Wayne, I would rather eliminate Florida and Atlanta, and move the Wings to the Eastern Conference

results were how I expected to see them. (I voted Vancouver and Phoenix). Tjhough if it were an option, Id vote Anaheim.

Kev.

Haha, I voted for the two top teams without even trying... Edmonton and Florida.

Florida is non-existent, although I'd hate to discredit Edmonton's past cups or history. I will say it was much harder to choose a Canadian team than it was an American one.

I could've chosen like 5 American teams we don't need.

I picked San Jose and Ottawa. Neither franchise has one a Cup and they are redundant as far as state/province representation.

And I agree it was difficult choosing a Canadian team. I think the Panthers and Thrashers should go and TB should stay for any remaining southern fans, and they have a Cup. I like Nashville and think that they and the Islanders could succeed in drawing fans if they could succeed on the ice.

There is no reason for a team in LA, Anaheim, and Phoenix considering their proximity. I'd say two should go but the Ducks have a Cup and the Kings are part of the first expansion so I feel that should garner them some respect.

Washington has a bunch of bandwagon fans, and Columbus has a lot of transplanted Wings fans, but both had high viewership in the playoffs so their markets aren't necessarily bad, just sick of losing.

1- Even with guys like Kovalchuk and Ovechkin, the thrashers and caps can't even have a sell-out crowd and that's a shame. 2- The isles play in a s***ty arena so if they don't built in a new one, they will probably move.

3- Columbus has a good fanbase who are just sick of losing and REALLY wants to see action in April

But if there's a team who needs to go, it's the FLORIDA PANTHERS: The ppl who live here don't even care or know what is hockey.

As for the canadian team, the team who needs to go is......THE OTTAWA SENATORS: This is the only canadian team who once draw less than 10 000 ppl in a season (1994-95) and I agree with chunkylover, they are redundant as a province representation.

keep all canadian teams I would move Phoenix to Winnipeg, Atlanta to Green Bay, Florida to Hawaii j/k j/k actually Florida to Milwaukee and either LA or Anaheim to Indy or Seattle or Hartford or Quebec just one needs to go

Edited by pockets

Why just 2, why not more? Any teams that cannot be supported by the local fans or outside sales. Why should Successful teams have to pitch into a pool that makes the league watered down and mediocre? I know all this has been talked about before, but eventually the cap which is to keep teams viable that cannot float on their own around and take away from teams and fans that want it more is going to wreck hockey. I used to love football, baseball etc... but those leagues do not even mildly interst me anymore, every year mostly a bunch of washed out teams who change players as often as a baby's diaper...