• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
arnoldbuck

Dynasties

Rate this topic

Sorry I am not entirely sure how to make a link. Hopefully ... http://www.nhl.com/cup/dynasties.html

Anyway. Under NHL.com the have a section called 'Countdown to the Quest.' And in that there is a section on Dynasties. They have NHL teams from the formation of the league right up to the 1984-1990 Oilers. But what suprises me is that the Red Wings (of the 90's -2000's) get no love.

The modern game is much different than it used to be, and with free agency, and big name contracts moving in one direction and another, I believe it is much harder these days to keep a core group together and for a team to stay on top for an extended period of time.

But for any fan of the Wings, or even fans of the game of hockey in general, it is pretty straight forward everything the Wings have accompished over the last 10-12 years. I don't know if the NHL just doesn't see it as a big deal to add teams to that list, but I truly think the Detroit Red Wings basically from 1995 onward deserve the dynasty title. I know a lot of what a Dynasty is based on is simply Championship titles ... and if that is all it goes by, then fair enough. Our group from 1997-2002 with 3 cups in 6 years.

But if it can be based on more than just championship titles, I think the stats and numbers below speak loud and clear about the Detroit Red Wings modern Dynasty.

Stanley Cup Champions - 1997, 1998, 2002

Stanley Cup Finalist - 1995

Presidents Trophy Winner - 1995, 1996, 2002, 2004,2006

16 Straight Years in the Playoffs

7 Straight 100+ Point Seasons (2000-2007)

1995-1996 Season - 62 Wins, 131 Points (remember that one is before Shootouts were put in!)

2005-2006 Seasin - 58 Wins, 124 Points

Memorable Players: Steve Yzerman, Nicklas Lidstrom, Brendan Shanahan, Sergei Fedorov, Vladimir Konstantinov, Igor Larionov, Darren McCarty, Kris Draper, Chris Osgood, Dominik Hasek, Mike Vernon, Brett Hull, Chris Chelios

(I am sure there are more names that could have been added to that roster, but I just used the first ones that came to mind)

(as well, there are probably more stats and records that could have been added to the above - but again, I listed simply the most noticable and memorable ones)

All in all, let me know what ya think.

Guest Tunbo Batman

uh yeah, they've won a lot (and will keep doing so for a while). doesn't matter if they don't wanna call it a dynasty. anyway, those things always happen in retrospect. maybe in the 2030s people will refer to today's wings as a synasty, but we would need to start sucking first, and the fans need to become old enough to have kids to which they could tell how the wings were once almighty ;p

Guest Tunbo Batman

the devils did sweet f***all 96-99, were never a reg season powerhouse, and additionnally were a very boring team to watch and had attendance problems. that should be enough to kee pthem out.

I wouldnt call it a dynasty. Its all about Cups and thats it, 3 in 6 years is really good...but i dont think its quite enough to warrant it. You cant include great regular seasons and Presidents trophies, if you did, then that means the Yankees have what, like a 15 year dynasty going on as we speak?! Its all about championships.

Plus the 3rd cup was 4 years later, so i dont really think so.

Most of the mentioned memorable players have already gone and they were above average paid players in the era with no salary cap. One could complain the Wings have just "bought" good players and won the cup.

It would be nice to win the Stanley Cup also in the era with the salary cap, more equal economic chances of all teams and playing with many different players on the Wings roster.

I believe it is much harder these days to keep a core group together and for a team to stay on top for an extended period of time.

Always one of the things that amazed me too about the club during those years. Few other teams kept/are keeping it together like that. The blame rests solely with #19 for that.

aloha