• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

Why the Red Wings need the Presidents Trophy

Rate this topic

Ok. Probably going to get some hell for this post but what the heck..here it goes.

I woke up this morning and thought of something today. The Red Wings NEED the president's trophy. Here is why:

#1 Don't want to play Dallas or San Jose. Don't these teams look like the Oilers of 2005 or the Ducks of 2004. If the Wings end up with the 4th seed, they will be out in round one.

#2 Need the home ice over Buffalo. The sabres are probably the best team in the nhl and if they make it to the cup finals and play the red wings, they will win...unless we have home ice.

#3 THREE-PEAT. Now...doesn't that sound nice to say that the past 3 seasons (lockout excluded of course) the Red Wings have been the best team in the regular season.

#4 At least we won something. Let's face it. The Red Wings don't have a playoff calibar team and if we win the president's trophy, we can say that the season is a success and that we won something, that we can put another banner up on the rafters.

#5 Red Wings have enough Stanley Cups. Detroit has 10 cups, double the size of the next American city in Boston. Let someone else win it.

Like I said, probably get some hell for this put what the heck. There is the post. Anyone feel the same way? Any thoughts, comments??

Edited by timothy1997

Guest Tunbo Batman

1-the wings can beat anybody IF THEY PLAY HARD ENOUGH. cowering away from certain opponents is never a good thing. what if we meet those teams in round 2?

2-let's cross the briddge when we get there okay ? :P

3-yup.

4-they dont have a playoff caliber team? okkaaaaaaayyyyyy....who does then? we have TWO clutch goalies, each with cups, lots of talent up front, hungry young players lead by veterans, a stilfing defense, what more do you need? you know who doesnt have a playoff caliber team? well, Philadelphia, Washington, Boston, Islanders, Florida, Chicago, Columbus, St-Louis, Edmonton, and a few others Im forgetting :P

5-I actually agree that the Stanley Cup is WAY overrated. Just get over it already. Of course it would be great to win it, but Ill be plenty happy with a final four after this (other) better-than-expected season.

Guest Tunbo Batman

again with the 7-second attention span syndrome. we ran into that year's lucky streaky playoff team 3 times in a row....boohoohoo. s*** happens. Hey, let's use Edmonton's formula instead! Let's waste all our cash on stupid rent-a-player free agents that will come to town for 3-4 months and then get the f*** out! Let's complain for a new CBA that would allow us to keep our best players and then trade them away for s*** anyway! Oh, wait, let's not.

5-I actually agree that the Stanley Cup is WAY overrated. Just get over it already. Of course it would be great to win it, but Ill be plenty happy with a final four after this (other) better-than-expected season.

What do you mean the Stanley Cup is overrated? What is the whole point of the NHL then, isn't it to win the SC? The goal for any team is to win the Stanley Cup, no matter who you are, same with anyother sport, and therefor I don't feel its overrated by anymeans.

i really don't care..

they'res not a team in the west that i want to play in the 1st round..

I agree the west has so many great teams this season that it doesn't matter who you get in the playoff's, there all going to be tough match ups for all the teams.

I agree the west has so many great teams this season that it doesn't matter who you get in the playoff's, there all going to be tough match ups for all the teams.

Bingo! If we don't get Dallas or San Jose we get Calgary or maybe Minnesota. The best we can do is hope for home ice. However, to be the best you have to beat the best. Plus the presidents trophy isn't the end of the world because Buffalo will not have an easy road either. Ottawa, Pittsburgh and New Jersey and whoever makes the bottom seeds in the east will not be an easy team to play either. The biggest thing I have figured is just worry about yourself (The Wings) not what Nashville or anyone else is doing. Thats just me!!

Bingo! If we don't get Dallas or San Jose we get Calgary or maybe Minnesota. The best we can do is hope for home ice. However, to be the best you have to beat the best. Plus the presidents trophy isn't the end of the world because Buffalo will not have an easy road either. Ottawa, Pittsburgh and New Jersey and whoever makes the bottom seeds in the east will not be an easy team to play either. The biggest thing I have figured is just worry about yourself (The Wings) not what Nashville or anyone else is doing. Thats just me!!

I really hope we get the presidents trophy because playing against any of these teams i think home ice advantage could be the difference, i know it never helped last season but it has to be some sort of a bonus and i'll take any advantage that we can get.

Guest Crymson

No, evidently every other team has such supernatural advantages over the Wings that we don't want to play ANYONE! I feel sure, from opinion on this board, that NO other team's fans feel any apprehension about facing the Red Wings! Why, we should just hope that the other team takes mercy! Do they stop the game if one team goes up by 10 goals?

Edited by Crymson

No, evidently every other team has such supernatural advantages over the Wings that we don't want to play ANYONE! I feel sure, from opinion on this board, that NO other team's fans feel any apprehension about facing the Red Wings! Why, we should just hope that the other team takes mercy! Do they stop the game if one team goes up by 10 goals?

:clap:

Although the Western playoff teams don't have the relative gimmies among them, like Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Montreal, the Rangers, or Toronto are in the East. I'd rather the Wings played any of those teams in the first round. :)

Dallas will take us out? huh?

And we do not have enough Cups! What is this "let someone else win it?" You play to win it. The Wings may have won it three times in the last decade, but there are a handful of new players on our team this year that have never had a taste of it and are HUNGRY for the Cup!

And we do not have enough Cups! What is this "let someone else win it?" You play to win it. The Wings may have won it three times in the last decade, but there are a handful of new players on our team this year that have never had a taste of it and are HUNGRY for the Cup!

And if we aren't shooting for the Stanley Cup, than why has everyone been so disappointed the last few years?

And if we aren't trying to win the Stanley Cup, than everybody on this board has wasted their time.

And if we aren't shooting for the Stanley Cup, than why has everyone been so disappointed the last few years?

And if we aren't trying to win the Stanley Cup, than everybody on this board has wasted their time.

Exactly. I'm not getting this thread at all.

Exactly. I'm not getting this thread at all.

Oh yeah!!! If were are playing for fourth overall then your right we have wasted our time, homeice would be huge for us, however if we do get homeice we need to win those games, we cannot blow 3-0 leads at home late in the third. As for hanging another banner, the only banner I want to see is a Stanley Cup Banner, that is what counts.

While I don't think we *need* the Trophy...I wouldn't mind having it.

It's like being a Pirate, you go in, take ALL the treasure you can, and come out. Ha ha. Sure, you want the big chest of gold, but you don't pass by any diamonds and rubies you see on the way...oh no you don't! You pick them up, too.

Of course your MAIN goal is the Stanley Cup, but since only 1 team wins it every year, it would be nice to walk away with something. Only 1 team is the best in the league, too, and it's over A LOT MORE games. This Trophy is the marathon, and the Cup is the sprint... It's always more exciting to watch a sprint, but don't discount the marathon.

While I don't think we *need* the Trophy...I wouldn't mind having it.

It's like being a Pirate, you go in, take ALL the treasure you can, and come out. Ha ha. Sure, you want the big chest of gold, but you don't pass by any diamonds and rubies you see on the way...oh no you don't! You pick them up, too.

Of course your MAIN goal is the Stanley Cup, but since only 1 team wins it every year, it would be nice to walk away with something. Only 1 team is the best in the league, too, and it's over A LOT MORE games. This Trophy is the marathon, and the Cup is the sprint... It's always more exciting to watch a sprint, but don't discount the marathon.

Very good point, I never though of it like that!!

Ok. Probably going to get some hell for this post but what the heck..here it goes.

I woke up this morning and thought of something today. The Red Wings NEED the president's trophy. Here is why:

#1 Don't want to play Dallas or San Jose. Don't these teams look like the Oilers of 2005 or the Ducks of 2004. If the Wings end up with the 4th seed, they will be out in round one.

#2 Need the home ice over Buffalo. The sabres are probably the best team in the nhl and if they make it to the cup finals and play the red wings, they will win...unless we have home ice.

#3 THREE-PEAT. Now...doesn't that sound nice to say that the past 3 seasons (lockout excluded of course) the Red Wings have been the best team in the regular season.

#4 At least we won something. Let's face it. The Red Wings don't have a playoff calibar team and if we win the president's trophy, we can say that the season is a success and that we won something, that we can put another banner up on the rafters.

#5 Red Wings have enough Stanley Cups. Detroit has 10 cups, double the size of the next American city in Boston. Let someone else win it.

Like I said, probably get some hell for this put what the heck. There is the post. Anyone feel the same way? Any thoughts, comments??

lmao, april fools...........right?

Wings that have won the cup:

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Calder-Lang-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Draper-Maltby

Franzen-Filppula-Hudler

Lidstrom-Markov

Schneider-Kronvall

Lebda-Chelios

Hasek

Osgood

Zata, Calder, Lang, Bertuzzi, Cleary, Franzen, Filppula, Hudler, Markov, Kronvall, and Lebda deserve one of their own.

I feel 4th place is best for the Wings,especially if Dallas is 5th. I think the Stars are the easiest team to play against in the playoffs. They're not a very physcial team and Turco always has issues in the playoffs. I'm of the feeling that anyone but Calgary would be ok.

Dallas looks like the Oilers?!??!?!??? HAHA. The only way they beat the Red Wings this year was in the last 10 minutes when Detroit stopped playing...with only 5 defenseman. Had that been a playoff game, Detroit wouldnt have let up and probably wouldnt have gotten so tired to boot. Dallas is the ONLY team that doesnt look like the Oilers of last year.

I feel 4th place is best for the Wings,especially if Dallas is 5th. I think the Stars are the easiest team to play against in the playoffs. They're not a very physcial team and Turco always has issues in the playoffs. I'm of the feeling that anyone but Calgary would be ok.

Me too. Wings will get more trouble from the Flames than any other team. Granted, the other 5 teams (not including Dallas) will be tough too, but I think we can take everyone else if we play our top game.