• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Sparty13

Hull: Datsyuk won't re-sign because of Babcock

Rate this topic

I just read this...

The 'mouth that roared' dishes Datsyuk rumour

The Red Wings bounced back from Friday's defeat with a solid win over the Columbus Blue Jackets, but you wouldn't have known it by listening to NBC Sports' announcers, who gnored the game to bluster and swap stories.

Brett Hull was admittedly "bored" and was "looking to spice things up" when he claimed that Pavel Datsyuk won't remain a Red Wing:

April 1, AOL Sports Blog: Another interesting tidbit from the mouth of Brett Hull on NBC's telecast from Columbus: He thinks the chance that Pavel Datsyuk will re-sign with Detroit next season is "none".

The whole exchange began with Hull saying that it would be years before the Columbus Blue Jackets could compete, wound its way through where Datsyuk might sign (Pierre McGuire said Datsyuk would go to Washington to play with "his best friend" Alex Ovechkin, Hull said Washington didn't have any money), and eventually came back to Hull where he was asked what he thought of Datsyuk's chances of returning to Detroit.

Which is when he shut the door on Datsyuk playing for the Wings next year.

After Hull hesitated to elaborate, NBC color man Ed Olczyk prodded Hull to say more. In response, Hull made it clear that Datsyuk wasn't happy with head coach Mike Babcock. In response, Olczyk questioned why Datsyuk would be unhappy playing in a great hockey town with great teammates for a winning franchise. To which Hull answered that he was in a similar situation in St. Louis, but he wasn't happy because he had to play for Mike Keenan.

Help me out, i'm not really understanding this, does this mean that Hull just made that stuff up or what?

im still somewhat confused too...wtf is hull saying, that hes leaving cause he doesnt like babs? Is this true? does washington have the resources to pick him up?

My main question is " Brett Hull was admittedly "bored" and was "looking to spice things up" when he claimed that Pavel Datsyuk won't remain a Red Wing" so does anyone know... does this mean that Hull admitted afterward that he made it up or no?

I'd like to believe he just made it up, but who knows...Let's be honest, Babcock is an intense, no-bulls***, 100%-effort-or-else type of coach, and the Wings have gotten by primarily on superior skill for the past few years...most of them are probably not used to being pushed as hard as Babcock pushes them, so it's easy to see the potential for conflict.

Also, I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith into Brett Hull's on-air ramblings about the relationship between Datsyuk and Babcock...he was in Phoenix by the time Babcock was hired.

Yeah as much as I respect Brett Hull, I think he was full s*** when he said that.

he said the chance Datsyuk would stay is none!

Well how in the hell would he know, does he talk to Dats, and if this was so true, you know it would be out there already being discussed and people talking about it, and teams that are intrested in him.

I think he just let out whatever he felt like saying, and you know Kenny Holland, he <3's Zetterberg and Datsyuk, and I think he will get it done, to keep him in a wings jersey.

As for Datsyuk disliking Babcock, I don't know how true that is either. Even if it is true, I don't think its bad enough to make him leave Detroit to play elsewhere.

As respected as Brett Hull is for his hockey accomplishments and as much as I like him for being entertaining, he's got a mouth almost as big as Chris Rock. Whenever Hull speaks, I listen, but I don't take a whole lot of what he says to heart, because sometimes he's just incredibly full of s**t.

These "players hate Babcock" rumors just continue to fy, which tells me there is probably something to them. Brett might have embellished the situation, but I would guess there's some truth in there somewhere.

I wonder how much of a role Babcock played in Shanny choosing not to resign.

Edited by Airborn

Datsyuk and Ovechkin probably don't even know each other. That, and their personalities are totally different. Ovechkin is a loud, superstar teenager. Datsyuk is a quiet, older guy who doesn't say much and is not quite as boisterous as Ovechkin. They are two totally different people.

Datsyuk and Ovechkin probably don't even know each other. That, and their personalities are totally different. Ovechkin is a loud, superstar teenager. Datsyuk is a quiet, older guy who doesn't say much and is not quite as boisterous as Ovechkin. They are two totally different people.

You bring up a good point. When did Dats and Ovechkin spend enough time together to become best friends? Surely not the olympics, and I can't think of another time they played together.

I can't really see them hanging out together much, given the difference in age, temperament, and family status, but they did play together for a year for Dinamo Moscow during the lockout, as well as for the Russian national team in the WC and the Olympics. So they must know each other well.

The players can hate Bab's all they want, but looking at the Standings we are 1st overall. I'd much rather win and score 80pts, then score 100pts and miss the playoffs.

Datsyuk may turn out to be like Fedorov and see his production fall off if he goes to another team.

My main question is " Brett Hull was admittedly "bored" and was "looking to spice things up" when he claimed that Pavel Datsyuk won't remain a Red Wing" so does anyone know... does this mean that Hull admitted afterward that he made it up or no?

one of the brodcasters wanted to "spice things up" by calling markov a perv, so i don't think this is true, especialy since dats has said he likes it here in detroit.

I found this interesting coming right after an article in the Freep about how much Datsyuk appreciated getting the "A" when the other guys were out. Thats a lot of respect flowing from the coach to the player in a situation where Maltby, Homer, Schneider, and Lang are by far the more veteran, experienced players. I mean, Babs doesnt seem to be messing with Datsyuk at all so who knows? Then again, what do we know exactly??

Either way, if Datsyuk leaves, you can be sure Illitch and Kenny will fill that hole with just as big a name - Smyth, Drury, Forsberg, etc.

The players can hate Bab's all they want, but looking at the Standings we are 1st overall. I'd much rather win and score 80pts, then score 100pts and miss the playoffs.

Datsyuk may turn out to be like Fedorov and see his production fall off if he goes to another team.

Feds is a different situation. I think his decrease in production has more to do with age than going to a different team. When he went to anaheim in 03-04 his stats were right on par with what he averaged as a wing. Columbus is a different story though, that team has so much talent but has underachieved almost all season. If Dats were to leave to another contender, I have no doubt he would be just as productive. It is all about the situation you're in. Dats is in a great situation, so he would be smart to come back.

I was actually pissed listening to hull, a former wings player saying things like that..At no time was it appropriate to bring up datsyuk's feelings about the coaching staff and only causes tension in the locker room for the wings...also his pick of the wings being a team struggling in the playoffs was terrible....he has some beef with the wings organization obviously

They played on the same team (Dynamo) in Russia during lockout. But I don't think they played on the same line. So they know each other well enough. But I never heard them being best friends (or otherwise) from any reliable source.

Edited by Pskov Wings Fan