• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rick zombo

Ultimate Playoff Matchup Thread - Who Ya Want?

Rate this topic

I want Calgary or SJ, they are extremely tough teams and if we can get past them, I feel very confident that we can go all the way. If we can knock off the teams that play us the toughest, we deserve to win. I don't want to have an "easy" time in the first round, because all subsequent rounds will not be easier.

I agree about wanting a difficult first round.

On the one hand, I don't like that if we play a tough team in the 1st round, there's a possibility we'll get bounced (again) in the first round.

On the other hand, the playoffs are supposed to be tough, and if we can get rid of one of the scary teams to begin with, it'll be a huge confidence boost.

That being said, Calgary is the team that scares me the most right now, so I'd pick them. Give us a chance to exorcise the demons from a couple of seasons back.

I agree about wanting a difficult first round.

On the one hand, I don't like that if we play a tough team in the 1st round, there's a possibility we'll get bounced (again) in the first round.

On the other hand, the playoffs are supposed to be tough, and if we can get rid of one of the scary teams to begin with, it'll be a huge confidence boost.

That being said, Calgary is the team that scares me the most right now, so I'd pick them. Give us a chance to exorcise the demons from a couple of seasons back.

If we get bounced in the first round, we deserved it, however if we beat a team that "scares" us, we should do great. No matter what happens, we will most likely have to get through SJ, Nash, ANA, CGY, or VAN. All these teams are teams that "scare" a lot of people here. Deal with it, its the playoffs. The best teams play in the playoffs and in order to be the best you have to beat the best. Quit whining and watch some fantastic playoff hockey.

Personally, I'd like to avoid a "scary" first round. If we play a real tough team and beat them, we could get really worn down and then the rest of the playoffs could be a big challenge.

Thats the point. Its supposed to be a challenge. The one team that survives will be the team who was able to withstand all of the punishment of 4 rounds. This ain't no cake walk here people. This is all out war, and that will wear every team down.

I really don't care. The Wings have nothing to lose. There are obviously some teams you'd prefer over others but if you're good enough to win it all then you're good enough to beat anyone.

We need to get out of the first round. Period. Then we can worry about marching onto the SCF.

You've got to worry about getting out of every round... wasn't too long ago the Wings had toppled Nashville in six games and were looking to make a big move for the championship... down the drain in a helluva hurry.

If we get bounced in the first round, we deserved it, however if we beat a team that "scares" us, we should do great. No matter what happens, we will most likely have to get through SJ, Nash, ANA, CGY, or VAN. All these teams are teams that "scare" a lot of people here. Deal with it, its the playoffs. The best teams play in the playoffs and in order to be the best you have to beat the best. Quit whining and watch some fantastic playoff hockey.

I understand your point, but who the hell's whining?

Also, the playoffs are all all about matchups. Who you get, and when. While it would be great to plow through all the best teams and beat them all in full on game 7 double overtime glory, that's not and never has been how it works.

And sometimes it takes a favorable matchup along the way to open up a team's path to the finals.

No Calgary please. That western travel just flattens us out every time. We take 2 periods to wake up and realize the game has even started. By then, the Flamers have a two goal lead and Kipprusoff is playing out of his mind = game over. That team likes to hit too, and they'll end up putting someone out with an injury over a 6 or 7 game series; better it be a Nashville player than one of ours.

From the list of 8 Western playoff teams I think Minnesota would be best matchup for us in the first round.

Phoenix. :P

But seriously, there's no one team that I'd prefer. The West is so tight this year that there's not a hell of a lot of difference between the number one and number eight seeds.

If anything, I'd rather go with the devil we KNOW rather than the Devil we DON'T know. Minnesota is the former. Teams like Dallas, Calgary, Anaheim and Vancouver are the latter (although Luongo adds a new element in Vancouver).

Ahh, I don't even know anymore.

One minute I want one team, another minute I want another.

I am just saying whatever, lets play and win!

I know come the end of this week when we are assigned with an oppenent I won't be happy no matter what team it is, so I can't even choose.

I really want the Dallas Stars.

Second best choice would be San Jose.

You guys keep underestimating the Wild because of the regular season match ups. The regular season doesn't mean s*** when it comes to playoff time. The Minnesota Wild trap will eat the Red Wing forwards.

We are dead meat against the Calgary Flames. Let's face it...the Wings don't do well against Western Conference Canadian teams in the playoffs. If we manage to win the first round and then face Vancouver in Round 2...there could be another un-happy season conclusion for the Wings.

We just can't beat Canadian teams in the playoffs.

I really want the Dallas Stars.

Second best choice would be San Jose.

You guys keep underestimating the Wild because of the regular season match ups. The regular season doesn't mean s*** when it comes to playoff time. The Minnesota Wild trap will eat the Red Wing forwards.

That's exactly how I see it too. We'd turn Minnesota into the next Cinderella team.

I disagree. The Wild are not good, I have to watch them all the time. Gaborik is having a terrible year and their top scorer Demitra is ancient. Give us the Wild in a heartbeat. There's no point in the trap if your team can only score a goal or two a game. Now Calgary, they could be as bad as the Wild, but if Kip stands on his head like last time. We're screwed.

Edited by Mudvayneowns91