• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rate this topic

^^^

How does your hatred for the Avs compare to your hatred for the Rangers F.C.?

I'd find it difficult to believe that the rival a team in America that you have no real connection but decided you liked and started following, would inspire more hatred than a home grown rival of a team you've (I'm assuming here) followed all your life.

I now live where Texas A&M University if located, so I cheer for them. And I cheer against University of Texas. But I don't hate Texas, just like I'm not an A&M diehard. And even if I live here the rest of my life, I'd never be able to hate Texas as much as I hate...loathe the university of Michigan.

No offense blak, but I dont think you that you have the right to judge glasgow's hatred of the avs just because hes a fan in scotland and doesnt live in detroit. If he is a red wings fan, then hes aware of the history as he posted, and therefore can grow to dislike the avalanche fans.

No offense blak, but I dont think you that you have the right to judge glasgow's hatred of the avs just because hes a fan in scotland and doesnt live in detroit. If he is a red wings fan, then hes aware of the history as he posted, and therefore can grow to dislike the avalanche fans.

I'm not judging him at all. I never said he was less of an Wings fan because he's across the pond or anything like that. I was just making an observation that I find it hard to believe you can really hate the rival of a team you have no connection with besides liking them after playing a video game, compared to the rival of a team you've grow up with and share a city with. If Glasgow feels like I'm trying to say I'm a better Wings fan then him, or questioning his Red Wings fan-ship, I'm not trying to do that and I apologize if he felt like I was.

Let me put it this way. If were to become a Celtic fan (not a bad idea, I'm Catholic albeit a lapsed one and I love the colors green and white) could I hate the Rangers like I hate U of M? Even if I watched all the big Celtic/Rangers games and learned the history of the teams? Not even close. There's not the personal connection I have with MSU and by extension, U of M.

Which leads be back to my original question. How do American soccer fans, especially the ones that claim to be diehards form these connections to a team they most likely didn't grow up with haven't seen in person, and probably never will. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

I think it's a fair question Blak's asking. Wings-Avs, let's say.....I watched, on live TV, Clod Lemieux do what he did to Draper, and I remember being stunned, and absolutely furious. I read in the papers as the rivalry escalated and the Denver media trashed the team I grew up with, the city I lived in, and the fans.....and by extension, me. I realize it's perfectly possible to read up on the history, learn about what happened and have it make you mad enough to hate some team, but isn't it fair to say that if you live and breathe the rivalry as it's happening, your depth of involvement is quite a bit more than if you read about it after the fact? Or that if you've got some kind of direct personal relationship with a team, it's more passionate and more personal than if you are watching from a distance? It's like U of M and UVA. I grew up with the maize and blue and religiously watching every Wolverines game I could on Saturdays, I could sing The Victors when I was five or six, and I still root extremely hard for Michigan, I love Michigan football and Michigan basketball and hate OSU and MSU and all that, but I went to Virginia....so if Michigan and Virginia ever meet in a game, I know who I'm rooting for: Virginia. That's "my" school. And it's why I can't just pick a Premiership team to follow. I think the EPL is one of the coolest leagues in the world and I kind of enjoy soccer, but how can I get involved in some of those extremely fierce rivalries over there if the best I can do is read the articles the next day?

I stand by my statement about the Ignorance shown toward's soccer.

Who the hell are you?!?!? to call the Scottish league or any other European league a joke when you clearly don't know what the hell you are talking about. Just because you've " heard " of Chelsea does that mean you deserve a prize or something???? Instead of reading an article here or there that state's that the SPL or any other league is poor maybe you should actually watch a couple of game's and form your own opinion instead of using other people's.

Deserve a prize? Are you kidding me? I'm on the defense here. I was called out as having to look up matters concerning Chelsea which I allegedly didn't already know.

All I have to know about the SPL is that two teams always win it and those two teams would rather join the EPL than make the Scottish League more competitive. Of course, and a Celtic fan, you probably think it's all totally fair and it's just by mere coincidence that clubs not named Celtic or Rangers never win.

In that case, I take it back. Celtic and Rangers are the Yankees of soccer. Actually, they're worse. Have fun sitting on the edge of your seat, wondering which sides will finish first and second in your little league.

Deserve a prize? Are you kidding me? I'm on the defense here. I was called out as having to look up matters concerning Chelsea which I allegedly didn't already know.

All I have to know about the SPL is that two teams always win it and those two teams would rather join the EPL than make the Scottish League more competitive. Of course, and a Celtic fan, you probably think it's all totally fair and it's just by mere coincidence that clubs not named Celtic or Rangers never win.

In that case, I take it back. Celtic and Rangers are the Yankees of soccer. Actually, they're worse. Have fun sitting on the edge of your seat, wondering which sides will finish first and second in your little league.

Listen, I'm not desputing the fact that say in the scottish league that Celtic and Rangers are not the dominant force's in the league. The comment that really pissed me off was the one that European football and for reason's obviously aimed at me that the Scottish league is a joke. The fact's are that in every league in every sport there are dominant team's and poorer team's. Again I'll stick with my statement that to actually judge the league's and class of the game being played in Europe maybe you should watch a couple of game's before passing your OWN opinion.

I'm not judging him at all. I never said he was less of an Wings fan because he's across the pond or anything like that. I was just making an observation that I find it hard to believe you can really hate the rival of a team you have no connection with besides liking them after playing a video game, compared to the rival of a team you've grow up with and share a city with. If Glasgow feels like I'm trying to say I'm a better Wings fan then him, or questioning his Red Wings fan-ship, I'm not trying to do that and I apologize if he felt like I was.

No problem Blak I don't feel your judging me, But I will say that I know I'm along way from seeing the Wings playing in the Joe. It doesn't matter how I became a fan, what matter's is that I am one. I know the History of the Wings, and I know the history between the Wings and the Ave's and as a Wings fan I just don't like them much.

Edited by glasgowcelticwing

I think it's a fair question Blak's asking. Wings-Avs, let's say.....I watched, on live TV, Clod Lemieux do what he did to Draper, and I remember being stunned, and absolutely furious. I read in the papers as the rivalry escalated and the Denver media trashed the team I grew up with, the city I lived in, and the fans.....and by extension, me. I realize it's perfectly possible to read up on the history, learn about what happened and have it make you mad enough to hate some team, but isn't it fair to say that if you live and breathe the rivalry as it's happening, your depth of involvement is quite a bit more than if you read about it after the fact? Or that if you've got some kind of direct personal relationship with a team, it's more passionate and more personal than if you are watching from a distance? It's like U of M and UVA. I grew up with the maize and blue and religiously watching every Wolverines game I could on Saturdays, I could sing The Victors when I was five or six, and I still root extremely hard for Michigan, I love Michigan football and Michigan basketball and hate OSU and MSU and all that, but I went to Virginia....so if Michigan and Virginia ever meet in a game, I know who I'm rooting for: Virginia. That's "my" school. And it's why I can't just pick a Premiership team to follow. I think the EPL is one of the coolest leagues in the world and I kind of enjoy soccer, but how can I get involved in some of those extremely fierce rivalries over there if the best I can do is read the articles the next day?

good read, i think its more evident now what was being said, :clap:

i dont think it is glasgow, we're lucky enough to be able to watch the champions league over here, lets alone any kind of league play <_<

That sucks :( , The Manchester United V Manchester City game is on tomorrow morning too, don't you get any Premiership games?

That sucks :( , The Manchester United V Manchester City game is on tomorrow morning too, don't you get any Premiership games?

not here at college with basic tv, but at home my family ordered the pay per view package for soccer which usually shows a good amount of EPL games...but i wont be home for 6 days

not here at college with basic tv, but at home my family ordered the pay per view package for soccer which usually shows a good amount of EPL games...but i wont be home for 6 days

Hey Viperar, I think your coming down with the Flu or something and should go home on sick leave right away !!!!!!! :sly::P:lol:

well honestly, i do think im getting a cold, i cant stop sneezing and coughing, too bad its only finals left, and if i miss those, well i pretty much fail school hahaha :crazy:

well honestly, i do think im getting a cold, i cant stop sneezing and coughing, too bad its only finals left, and if i miss those, well i pretty much fail school hahaha :crazy:

Final's schminal's, Soccer's more important. :ph34r: School's overated anyway. ;):P:lol:

Most selective EPL games are on Pay Per View or Fox Soccer Channel. If you get satellite you can get Setanta sports, they show some EPL and I think the scottish league games as well.

Edited by Jwo

Rangers won the final Old Firm game of the season 2 - 0. :angry: Never thought I'd say this but Rangers deserved they're win. Celtic have been playing like crap since Christmas time. Ohhh well, at least were the Champion's. :)

Today was our Captain Neil Lennon's final derby game. I wish we could have won it for him. :(

Edited by glasgowcelticwing

Wenger calls for fans to respect Cole

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...538&cc=5901

I would agree with Mr. Wenger, but the stuff Cole wrote in his book is why every Arsenal fan should boo him and show no respect.

10 men went to bed, went to bed with ashley

10 men, 9 men, 8 men, 7 men , 6 men ,5 men , 4 men , 3 men, 2 men, 1 men and his mobile phone WENT TO BED WITH ASHLEY!!

THE ARSENAL! :clap: THE ARSENAL!

Edited by Jwo

Any of you guy's watchin the Chelsea V Champions :P game???

Do you think Chelsea will do a guard of honour for United like they did for them at Old Trafford last season??

UNITED!!!!!!! :D

Props to Chelsea for the guard of honour for Manchester United. :clap:

I didn't think they would do it.