• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rate this topic

Anyone else pumped about Klinsmann being our new USA head coach? I know I am. Should have got him awhile ago tbh. :thumbup:

Hell yes! Should've happened a long time ago but we need to do something. There needs to be an emphasis put on developing young talent immediately. Hey, at least Freddy Adu resurfaced during the Gold Cup haha. It also doesn't hurt that Juergen is a former Hotspur.

Hahaha right on man! Klinsmann played for Tottenham? I didn't know that. I think Klinsmann is going to be given complete control of the USA under-17, 18 and 21 youth programs. Like everything. This should have happened awhile ago but I'm excited to see what he brings. Mexico friendly coming up should be good :D

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

tl;dr yes I'm pumped.

At least he's here now rather than later. He's going to have his work cut out for him though, although he has the right mentality according to his quotes.

He said all the things I wanted to hear, such as kids need to grow up kicking the ball around similar to how kids are easily accessible to basketball pick-up games. It's something you grow up with and is a part of our culture, and that's why we sport the best players on our olympic basketball team and the NBA of course. The same goes for other countries with their soccer; there's a reason why countries like Brazil, England, Germany, etc. are way better than us, it's because it's in their culture and they grew up playing it.

Also, teens need to be trained better. Hopefully he has control over that in the U-17 and up.

We need an identity, which he admits will be tough because of the melting pot of our culture, but has expressed we need more latin influence, which I'm more than happy with. He also admits that even though we performed well in the World Cup, we're still not that good, saying something like "they need 10 Landon Donovans before they're considered contenders." I agree with this as well. We just seemed to overachieve and be inconsistent most of the time.

I think he was hired at the right time. Our miracle run in the World Cup kicked things off, MLS is started to get more popular and is getting tons of TV coverage and even expanded with a couple more teams, the USWNT had even higher ratings if I recall, and so the movement begins.

If he can really make things happen with our youth development and install a system similar to Germany's (since I do believe he had control over their youth to make them what they became last year, could be wrong though), then I don't care how crappy they play in the short-term, as long as it makes us better in the future. And with our culture accepting soccer more and more, hopefully it makes his job somewhat easier. We'll have a long ways to go though, but I believe he's a step in the right direction.

Edited by dropkickshanahans

Guest irishock

Crazy... Arsenal 3-0 on AC right now, 3-4 aggregate. Halftime.

Van Persie is an absolute machine. 33 goals and 9 assists in 38 matches. Are you kidding me? I wish we had a sniper like that.