• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rate this topic

I'd take Cavani or Falcao. Then again, Van Persie does have that connection with Holland. ;)

Premier League is good, but overrated based on how their top squads get soundly outplayed whenever they play other top teams around Europe.

I try to watch all the leagues. However, it's kind of hard to get up early on Saturdays here in the USA to watch these games

Well I've watched a bit of it too and ask a friend of mine who is a huge soccer fan about this:

He basically said the EPL is also the league with the most foreign players so not a lot of room for hometown guys and there national team is the result of this.

Don't if its true or not but I think he has a point. I think soccer as a whole is overrated but the atmosphere in these arenas seems to be amazing.

Well I've watched a bit of it too and ask a friend of mine who is a huge soccer fan about this:

He basically said the EPL is also the league with the most foreign players so not a lot of room for hometown guys and there national team is the result of this.

Don't if its true or not but I think he has a point. I think soccer as a whole is overrated but the atmosphere in these arenas seems to be amazing.

Well, I'm saying the way it is now, I'm confident the 3rd or 4th best teams in Spain or Germany could walk into Old Trafford or into Stamford Bridge, and soundly outplay the hosts on any given day. Naturally, if the top EPL teams were composed mostly of British players, they'd get killed even worse by those other squads.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun league to watch and the atmosphere is indeed epic, but the style of play is a little predictable at times. Constant long balls, crosses and headers. That stuff works in the EPL, but not in the Champions League (unless your'e lucky Chelsea) and certainly not in World Cup/Euros. Right now, ball possession and creativity are everything in football.

Well, I'm saying the way it is now, I'm confident the 3rd or 4th best teams in Spain or Germany could walk into Old Trafford or into Stamford Bridge, and soundly outplay the hosts on any given day. Naturally, if the top EPL teams were composed mostly of British players, they'd get killed even worse by those other squads.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun league to watch and the atmosphere is indeed epic, but the style of play is a little predictable at times. Constant long balls, crosses and headers. That stuff works in the EPL, but not in the Champions League (unless your'e lucky Chelsea) and certainly not in World Cup/Euros. Right now, ball possession and creativity are everything in football.

Well I respect the italian, spanish leagues don't know the exact names so sorry for that and of course the EPL but the german one? No ways, the EPL returned to the kick and rush style since the attendance went way down after they've tried to do it like the italian league and play a more defensive minded system but compared to hockey soccer looks like slow motion :-)

I think every team in the world would have a hard team beating the top tier teams in the EPL. Although Manchester United has seen way better squats before Glacer took over.

Well I respect the italian, spanish leagues don't know the exact names so sorry for that and of course the EPL but the german one? No ways, the EPL returned to the kick and rush style since the attendance went way down after they've tried to do it like the italian league and play a more defensive minded system but compared to hockey soccer looks like slow motion :-)

I think every team in the world would have a hard team beating the top tier teams in the EPL. Although Manchester United has seen way better squats before Glacer took over.

The top team in the German league is Bayern Munich. They would run laps around ManU, who have struggled this season against teams like Norwich City and Southampton. LOL. Bayern has only lost one game all season.

Dortmund is the second best team in Germany and they schooled Man City (2nd best in EPL) in both games in the Champions League. Did you watch that display? Those City players looked totally lost.

Next would be Schalke, who are struggling this year in Germany, but they outplayed Arsenal in the Champions League over those two games. I'd say Arsenal is probably the 4th or 5th best team in the EPL.

Chelsea is 3rd best in the Premier League, and they couldn't even make it out of the group stage at Champions League this year. What makes you think they'd beat the 3rd best team in Germany?

And teams like Tottenham and Liverpool haven't exactly been tearing up the European ranks lately, despite having more money than just about every team in Germany, Italy or Spain.

The lower ranked teams in the EPL would do even worse, since they don't have the money and foreign stars that teams like ManU and Man City have.

I'd rather watch the Premier League than Bundesliga, and it's a lot more accessible here in the US, but I do think their teams are slightly overrated and struggle head to head against comparable competition from top European leagues.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Next would be Schalke, who are struggling this year in Germany, but they outplayed Arsenal in the Champions League over those two games. I'd say Arsenal is probably the 4th or 5th best team in the EPL.

To be fair, we've been quite shocking in the fall and were beaten by teams like Norwich, Swansea (who have actually been really good) and.. Bradford, who are like the equivalent of minor or even amateur leagues in America. ;) With Arsenal, it's so very difficult to predict. But it's always been that way. In 2011, Arsenal beat Barcelona, then lost the league cup final against a team who were relegated. So it's not really as straight-forward to make comparisons between the leagues.

That said, we (the English Premier League) have to get a hard look at ourselves and stop this madness, as it's getting out of hand. Couple of years ago, it was unthinkable that an English team would NOT make it out of the group. Heck, couple of years ago An English team reached at least a quarterfinal, most of the time a final. Now this is the 2nd year in a row where only 2 teams make it out (funnily enough, it's still Arsenal, despite poor domestic form and big player sales constantly ruining our club). And as much as I hate City, it's a piss take that the English champions don't even get into Europa League. Disgraceful.

I hope we can fly the English flag high, but we'll need a miracle to beat Bayern, but of course, if we get a ton of luck like Chelsea did, in a 2-legged tie, anything is possible. Lucky deflection, poor referee decision, whatever. Go through on away goals and never look back. Very small chance of that, but we'll see.

Yeah well that's sort-of true, but not completely. yes, there is a lot foreigners in the teams, but there is a lot of English players, too. Most of the big teams have a strong English spine, and a lot of the smaller teams sometimes are made up of basically mostly English players. For example, Man Utd have star player Wayne Rooney, in midfield they always had Scholes, Rio Ferdinand in defence, as well as now fresh young up and coming defenders Phil Jones and Chris Smalling, add to that Ashley Young in attack and you've got a nice English spine to the team. Chelsea have Ashley Cole, John Terry, Gary Cahill in defence. City have Joe Hart, starting GK, a couple of defenders like Joleon Lescott, Micah Richards and the like. Arsenal always were the team that have no Englishmen in it, but now it's changed and we have in the first XI defender Kieran Gibbs, midfielder Jack Wilshere (one of the brightest prospects in English youth now) and Theo Walcott up front. So I think those lads do get a nice chance to make it.

To be fair, we've been quite shocking in the fall and were beaten by teams like Norwich, Swansea (who have actually been really good) and.. Bradford, who are like the equivalent of minor or even amateur leagues in America. ;) With Arsenal, it's so very difficult to predict. But it's always been that way. In 2011, Arsenal beat Barcelona, then lost the league cup final against a team who were relegated. So it's not really as straight-forward to make comparisons between the leagues.

That said, we (the English Premier League) have to get a hard look at ourselves and stop this madness, as it's getting out of hand. Couple of years ago, it was unthinkable that an English team would NOT make it out of the group. Heck, couple of years ago An English team reached at least a quarterfinal, most of the time a final. Now this is the 2nd year in a row where only 2 teams make it out (funnily enough, it's still Arsenal, despite poor domestic form and big player sales constantly ruining our club). And as much as I hate City, it's a piss take that the English champions don't even get into Europa League. Disgraceful.

I hope we can fly the English flag high, but we'll need a miracle to beat Bayern, but of course, if we get a ton of luck like Chelsea did, in a 2-legged tie, anything is possible. Lucky deflection, poor referee decision, whatever. Go through on away goals and never look back. Very small chance of that, but we'll see.

A lot of the Champions League has to do with the draw. ManU and Arsenal both got relatively easy groups, so they both advanced. Chelsea and Man City got tough groups, and both missed out.

As you said, an English team can still go deep in the tournament, but they'll have to "park the bus" like Chelsea did and hang on for dear life when playing someone like Bayern or Barcelona. It's just a shame that a team with the money of a Chelsea had to resort to those tactics last year. "Parking the bus" should be for poor teams who don't have resources to compete head to head with big clubs.

I'm really looking forward to Real Madrid vs. ManU. Real has been poor this season, but I think they're putting all their chips into the Champions League, and ManU could be in big trouble. I still think the only thing Alex Ferguson cares about is the Premier League, even though they win it seemingly every year. I guess a man has to know his limitations.

Arsenal I think is in even bigger trouble, but if they can cough up enough money for Cavani, they're a threat to win any tournament in the future. Not right now with this roster.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I'm really looking forward to Real Madrid vs. ManU. Real has been poor this season, but I think they're putting all their chips into the Champions League, and ManU could be in big trouble. I still think the only thing Alex Ferguson cares about is the Premier League, even though they win it seemingly every year. I guess a man has to know his limitations.

Arsenal I think is in even bigger trouble, but if they can cough up enough money for Cavani, they're a threat to win any tournament in the future. Not right now with this roster.

Agreed on all other counts, although Man Utd I think being the strongest could handle the biggest clubs. But only Man Utd.

Funnily enough, I think it's all about the Champions League for Fergie. I think he wants to win the UCL before retiring for one more time. Also, I think United will win - I think there is too much unrest at Real and a lot of trouble and I think United will be too strong. But I'm looking forward to the game very much and we'll see who is right. :)

Hey did you guys hear the Wings lost yesterday?

esteef

Must you remind us?

Edited by barciur

Unbelievable that Real is already 15 Pts behind Barca.

I´m just watching them against Valencia. 5-0 after the first half.

And ManU just 1-1 against Tottenham, but still 5 Pts ahead of ManCity.

i´m really looking forward to this match-up i the Champions League.

My prediction: Real wins at home and ties the game in Old Trafford.

Yeah well that's sort-of true, but not completely. yes, there is a lot foreigners in the teams, but there is a lot of English players, too. Most of the big teams have a strong English spine, and a lot of the smaller teams sometimes are made up of basically mostly English players. For example, Man Utd have star player Wayne Rooney, in midfield they always had Scholes, Rio Ferdinand in defence, as well as now fresh young up and coming defenders Phil Jones and Chris Smalling, add to that Ashley Young in attack and you've got a nice English spine to the team. Chelsea have Ashley Cole, John Terry, Gary Cahill in defence. City have Joe Hart, starting GK, a couple of defenders like Joleon Lescott, Micah Richards and the like. Arsenal always were the team that have no Englishmen in it, but now it's changed and we have in the first XI defender Kieran Gibbs, midfielder Jack Wilshere (one of the brightest prospects in English youth now) and Theo Walcott up front. So I think those lads do get a nice chance to make it.

Thanks for your input really appreciated. It is nice to see the EPL cracking down on the amount of foreigners and providing more space for Englishmen.

as for Man U versus Real Madrid

Well to be honest I wanted that matchup as the final game, they both hate each other and are absolutely loaded upfront. Man City to me is a club I wish nothing but the worst possible outcome, I hate them I want them gone this club has sold itself out, they have no identity, nothing to be proud of just a damn sheik trying to be the second Abramovic (spelling?).

I think Man U will win at home and get a draw in Estadio Bernabeo. Real always has the biggest stars but hardly a real team and their coach is an absolute joke,you don't bench a guy like Casilas after having one or two bad games since forever.

Thanks for your input really appreciated. It is nice to see the EPL cracking down on the amount of foreigners and providing more space for Englishmen.

as for Man U versus Real Madrid

Well to be honest I wanted that matchup as the final game, they both hate each other and are absolutely loaded upfront. Man City to me is a club I wish nothing but the worst possible outcome, I hate them I want them gone this club has sold itself out, they have no identity, nothing to be proud of just a damn sheik trying to be the second Abramovic (spelling?).

I think Man U will win at home and get a draw in Estadio Bernabeo. Real always has the biggest stars but hardly a real team and their coach is an absolute joke,you don't bench a guy like Casilas after having one or two bad games since forever.

By real team, you mean a team full of hired guns assembled on one roster? That's true, but they're still Real "freaking" Madrid. They have the potential to embarrass ManU, more so than the other way around.

I just want to see how intense Ronaldo will be for this matchup. Will he be nice to his former team, or will he be out for blood? I'm guessing Valencia will be giving a lot of help to whoever plays right back. I doubt Rafael will be the one.

Degea is another question mark. His rebound control is terrible and that could spell trouble against such an offensive powerhouse. Then again, Degea may not be the one Alex Ferguson goes with. There's talk they're trying to sell him.

Van Persie is the best thing United has going for it, but I think Pepe and Ramos can neutralize him. Rooney might be the key here. He has to be United's best player, imo.

Conversely, the biggest worry for Real will be that they've been subpar all season and have locker room distractions. But they seem to feel they can turn it on anytime they want, like they showed against Valencia in the Cup games recently. They've put all their chips into this tournament. I expect them to win this matchup.

Agreed on all other counts, although Man Utd I think being the strongest could handle the biggest clubs. But only Man Utd.

Funnily enough, I think it's all about the Champions League for Fergie. I think he wants to win the UCL before retiring for one more time. Also, I think United will win - I think there is too much unrest at Real and a lot of trouble and I think United will be too strong. But I'm looking forward to the game very much and we'll see who is right. :)

Maybe it's just me, but I notice that EPL clubs are intimidated by ManU and revere them somehow. It really affects how they play against them.

I haven't noticed that from other European clubs towards ManU.

It will be interesting to see how Real Madrid's new goalkeeper does, since Casillas is injured and out for at least 2 months, if not more.

I don't like Real Madrid that much (although I do respect their prestige), but I've always liked Casillas. He's the best keeper of his generation. Adan is not in his league and this will hurt their Champions League chances.

And I don't see Mourinho surviving after this season after alienating and benching Casillas, who's a God in Madrid.

But like I said above, United has their own goalie issues.

Correct me if I am wrong pleadse but since the days of Schmeichel (what goalkeepergod) and Van der Sar ManUtd has struggled with their keepers?

Real on the other side didn't have a good defense but they coul always count on their upfront power and Casillas. Whenever Casillas is going to retire I bet Real will go in for Cesch from Chelsea.

Sent from my BlackBerry

Yes, but Van Der Sar only left after 2010-11 season, so it was only last year and this year that they've struggled. Difficult to replace such a legendary goalkeeper. And Real's had a top quality keeper since 2002, which is when Casillas came into the picture. Casillas is only 31, while Cech is 30, so I think they will be retiring around the same time.

So what did everyone think of the Real - United game? :]

ManU parked the bus and squeaked away with a tie. It's a shame that a team with their money and resources has to play like that. I thought they were the big bad wolf in England.

For me, Benzema and Higuain were duds. The final ball wasn't there, but they couldn't generate many good chances or get open enough. Modric is useless. Should have stayed in London.

Rooney and Van Persie didn't have many good chances. Van Persie should have buried at least one of his. They're not used to counterattacking the whole game, though.

Real can certainly beat them at Old Trafford, but ManU will be more offensive themselves. Second leg will be awesome. It was incredible seeing these two teams on the pitch at the same time.

The results of the last sixteen of the UEFA Champions Leuague:

Celtic - Juventus 0:3

Valencia - Paris (without David Beckham) 1:2

Donezk - Dortmund 2:2

Real - ManU 1:1 (F*** you, Ronaldo!)

Arsenal - Bayern Munich 1:3 :thumbup:

Porto - Malaga 1:0

Istanbul - Schalke 1:1

Milan - Barca 2:0 :thumbup:

And today the quarterfinal of the german cup:

Bayern Munich - Bor. Dortmund 1:0 (Robben)

Munich deserved the victory!

Chances for the Triple are very good!!

The results of the last sixteen of the UEFA Champions Leuague:

Celtic - Juventus 0:3

Valencia - Paris (without David Beckham) 1:2

Donezk - Dortmund 2:2

Real - ManU 1:1 (F*** you, Ronaldo!)

Arsenal - Bayern Munich 1:3 :thumbup:

Porto - Malaga 1:0

Istanbul - Schalke 1:1

Milan - Barca 2:0 :thumbup:

And today the quarterfinal of the german cup:

Bayern Munich - Bor. Dortmund 1:0 (Robben)

Munich deserved the victory!

Chances for the Triple are very good!!

I watched today's Cup game. Bayern looks amazing right now. Their defense has become incredible, and Neuer never has to make a save. They don't have any big weaknesses. I thought their central defense would be one, but Dante has played well, and the two defensive midfielders are helping immensely.

However, if they make it to the final of the CL, the pressure on them not to choke again will be enormous. But they are the favorites now, especially if Barca and Real are both gone after this round.

I almost feel like Guardiola next season will disrupt them. They have a perfect machine now with a great coach and I'm sure Guardiola will want to change things.. so it could be a curse for them, as great as Guardiola is.