• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
JPriceless101

What is wrong with Robert Lang?

Rate this topic

When we picked Lang up a couple years back, I was somewhat glad that we got a guy who was making a name for himself as a top scorer. Yet, I really don't know what to think of him anymore. He is shooting way too many pucks around the net instead of in it and making a lot of questionable plays out on the ice. He lacks the scroing dominance that we were hoping he'd have when we picked him up. Other than that scoring spurt that he had the first half of March, he hasn't been too impressive. <_<

Perhaps he's just done as a performer. Careers don't last forever. Lang might've just reached the bottom of his tank. Not much more left. Doesn't have to be a mystery, really. He's old.

No real motivation, no passion. It doesn't look like he cares about winning the Stanley Cup. He looks like hes playing out his final years to go away quietly and enjoy his life with his family.

Prove me wrong Robert!

What's wrong with Lang you ask? Well simple... Its not the playoffs... Why waste all the effort in the final games (risk being hurt) when the "real" season starts in a few days and your team has already clinched (a post season where Lang most Definitely DOMINATES all other Wings since joining the team)

Edited by OsGOD

^ If you don't believe him, check the stats. Lang has been the most reliable playoff performer for the Wings since he's joined the team.

:clap:

I know I am good for something ;)

Lang basically looks disinterested out there. No emotion or fire at all. Hopefully someone lights a fire under his a*s for the playoffs ;)

I couldn't agree more...no fire. He gives up on almost every play. If the puck gets knocked off his stick, he just quits. He doesn't try to get it back.

well 90 points in the regular season and 3 assists 0 goals in the post season or 60 points in the regular season and 6 points (3 goals) in the post season (6 games)

Next week, would you rather have Lang or Datsyuk in your lineup?

I would like to have both... if Dats catches fire then watch the hell out :) This season looks promising as it is him (dats) who is coming into the post season uninjured (knock on wood). I don't hold as high hopes from Zeta as he hasn't been in physical game play for over a month now. With that said... I don't think we should let Zeta walk just because this years playoffs might not be as impressive as we would have hoped earlier in this season.

on a side note:

People on these boards are quite CONFUSING..... You WANT the wings to do well in the post season... yet you WANT to get rid of the players that perform the best in the post season. Hmmm, don't get your logic at all. WTF, mates??? You have to have a people putting up numbers in the post season in order to succeed.

Edited by OsGOD

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I couldn't agree more...no fire. He gives up on almost every play. If the puck gets knocked off his stick, he just quits. He doesn't try to get it back.

Jesus Christ, some of you people only watch 1/2 a game I think. Either that or you only use 1/2 your brain.

Did anybody happen to see who the Wings player was that backchecked all the way back to the Wings goal last game and tied up the attacker in front who nearly scored? That was Lang.

Did anybody catch that shift, I think it was in the 2nd period where he gained puck possession with his size and positioning and then deked two guys, maintained posession and almost got us a decent chance. I don't remember the play entirely I just remember 2 guys trying to get the puck and neither could because of Lang's ability to stickhandle and his size/strength on the puck. Nobody notices those little things.

Maybe i'll do a Lang perspective on tonights game. I'll Tivo the game and watch every one of his shifts and we can analyze his entire game instead of having the same 8 people + newbies come in and continue to hack on Lang for giving up a puck in the offensive zone or for not streaking in on net like Pavel Bure. I think its high time people stopped feeding the misinformation machine on Lang. He's better than his detractors think.

We don't utilize him enough to pay 3.8 mil for sure, but he's far from the terrible player some make him out to be.

I dont mind him as much as most of u guys do. He isn't lazy, I find he scores at key times and in the playoffs he plays well. I know he can play better but I still like him on our team.

I dont mind him as much as most of u guys do. He isn't lazy, I find he scores at key times and in the playoffs he plays well. I know he can play better but I still like him on our team.

I'm actually starting to hope he stays around a while, but only if he takes a paycut.

, some of you people only watch 1/2 a game I think. Either that or you only use 1/2 your brain.

Did anybody happen to see who the Wings player was that backchecked all the way back to the Wings goal last game and tied up the attacker in front who nearly scored? That was Lang.

Did anybody catch that shift, I think it was in the 2nd period where he gained puck possession with his size and positioning and then deked two guys, maintained posession and almost got us a decent chance. I don't remember the play entirely I just remember 2 guys trying to get the puck and neither could because of Lang's ability to stickhandle and his size/strength on the puck. Nobody notices those little things.

Maybe i'll do a Lang perspective on tonights game. I'll Tivo the game and watch every one of his shifts and we can analyze his entire game instead of having the same 8 people + newbies come in and continue to hack on Lang for giving up a puck in the offensive zone or for not streaking in on net like Pavel Bure. I think its high time people stopped feeding the misinformation machine on Lang. He's better than his detractors think.

We don't utilize him enough to pay 3.8 mil for sure, but he's far from the terrible player some make him out to be.

The thing that bothers me the most about Lang is that I like the guy...he's a great talent. He just takes shifts off, and he gives up to easily. He doesn't go 100% the whole time. I'm sure no one will disagree with that.

When you do your perspective make sure you pay attention to the effort he gives on the forecheck. Compare it to Draper, Filppula, Datsyuk, Cleary and Calder. Also pay attention to what he does just after he loses the puck.

I do agree that he isn't a terrible player, he did have a better game on Sunday and this topic has been wore out.

as an outsider, i've stayed away from commenting too much on individual players or the inner workings of the Wings.

But if I can throw something into this. I think most of the problems with Robert Lang are unrealistic expectations. How many people here have really looked at Lang and who he has been over his career?

He had ONE season ever where he averaged a point per game. That was the season that the Wings got him at the deadline. Other than that he only had one other season that was close to that level. A handful of other decent seasons and then a lot of mediocrity.

Too many people here judge him on the season that he first came to Detroit and not on his career as a whole. When you hold a player to expectations based on one uncharacteristic season, then it's basically impossible for the guy to ever impress anyone again.

I do realize that he gets paid a lot, and that's a lot of the problem. But you can't blame Lang for that, he had a great season and was fortunate enough to turn it into a big payday. If you want to blame anyone, blame the organization for giving him that contract based on one career year.

His problem isn't that it isn't playoff at the moment.

IMO he was the biggest disappointment and the worst player on the Czech National Team during Winter Olympics 2006 in Torino - there was playoff.

He's simply slowed down, become less useful and productive and overall less interested in the game.

Lang has always been a streaky player up until this year and now he is plain lazy and sucks. If I were Babcock, I would send him a message by cutting hic ice time instead of treating him like an under-perfoming prima donna. I've defended this guy too long. Bert deserves a better center.

Edited by clutchngrab