• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest GordieSid&Ted

How about tossing Holland a small bone right now?

Rate this topic

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Everyone knows Shanny and Stevie left.

Everyone knows we aren't nearly the powerhouse we used to be.

But did you know:

Wings sit 1st in the NHL with 108 points.

Wings have 10th highest scoring offense.

Wings have 5th best defense.

Of course this is not the playoffs I know. However, nobody thought we'd vie for the Prez trophy. If you did then you are the world's biggest homer and god love ya. But here we are, Lilja and all and we're still sitting pretty at the top of the standings.

Hasek, Cleary, Calder, Bertuzzi, Markov, maybe not the killers we hoped for but we're winning so that must count for something

Now I know there are some die hards out there who believe Holland has no input in scouting or drafting decisions so he isn't allowed any credit for Flip or Hudler or Franzen or anybody else.

I also know that those die hards firmly believe Bowman makes all the decisions in secret like signing Bertuzzi and that he, Develanno or some unseen mystical presence allows us to acquire players like Hasek and Bert for what amounts to a hill of beans.

But c'mon folks, can't we just give the man some props for once again, putting out a quality product.

How many people wrote us off as a 2nd tier team? How many sportswriters and pundits and even fans thought we'd be struggling for the 6th, 7th or 8th seed this year?

We've had one hell of a regular season and I just wanted to give some props to Kenny H. for putting together another great regular season.

Now lets hope this carries over into the playoffs.

:clap: Props to you Kenny and Babs. They have done a great job keeping this team competitive with the best in the league, even when no one thought they would be. Like Naslund said, "The Red Wings don't rebuild, they reload." They've certainly proved even without some of the star power they once had and without an open checking account, that they can still be among the best.

As you said GS&T, lets hope it carries over to the playoffs.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Ken Holland is the best GM in the NHL. I have heard all of the myths stated in the original post, and I agree they are all crap. Kenny deserves a big :thumbup: The whole front office is great. Even when the Wings are going to have a "down season" as reported by all the sportswriters; you can expect them to win because players will play hard for this franchise because of their desire to win at all levels.

Edited by LIDDYGIBBY5

When the season started i honestly thought that after we lost stevie and shanny we would stuggle. Especially when i was seeing all the FA's being snapped up i was starting to worry. But i have to give kenny a big :clap: because he's done a great job. :thumbup:

Don't want to tempt fete here but with 3 games left against the also rans of our division we should lock up the West conf title. With the Sabres having 3 of their remaining 4 games away starting tonight in Pittsburgh we just may get that 3rd straight pressy trophy too. Now that would really stick it up the so called jurno experts!!

How many people wrote us off as a 2nd tier team? How many sportswriters and pundits and even fans thought we'd be struggling for the 6th, 7th or 8th seed this year?

I did. before the season started I saw Wings battling around this 6th spot. this was supposed to be a transition year before we start with youth (like our ex-Wings Joey Mac for example) but it turned out to work good.

We've had one hell of a regular season and I just wanted to give some props to Kenny H. for putting together another great regular season.

I got a lot of respect to Kenny at this recent trade deadline. I love how he played hardball and waited for those most expensive guys to flush, and then picked up two strong trades, making his Wings better and not sacrificing any of our future. that's great in my book.

and I think he finally listened to the people around him (and I most certainly mean Steve Yzerman praising Probbie and Kocur in first place at his retirement ceremony :) ) and got some very much needed toughness - at a very good price and without shaking team chemistry nor Babcock's "schema".

Edited by akustyk

Don't forget some of the moves Kenny didn't make. Like not signing Samsonov to $3.5/yr for 2 years. And not signing Gerber. And not signing Belfour. And not signing Anson Carter. And not selling the ranch to get Forsberg, Tkachuk, or Guerin.

Holland has gone from throwing money around like a drunken cowboy to establishing himself as one of the shrewdest GMs in the league.

And this team of his could still be done for the season in 8 or 9 games' time. Crazy.

Guest Tunbo Batman

yup, this team rocks thru and thru, and it all starts at the top.

in september, i was expecting DET in 4th place with 101 points. at that point, that might've been considered "homer", but now it's conservative :P

I still think Babcock is the main reason why this team has done so well thus far, but I admit Holland came up huge at the deadline trading for Calder and Bertuzzi. :thumbup:

I was really impressed with what he done at the deadline. I especially loved him bring in calder, I always thaught he was a good player that was held back by playing on a couple of pretty bad teams.

and I think he finally listened to the people around him (and I most certainly mean Steve Yzerman praising Probbie and Kocur in first place at his retirement ceremony :) ) and got some very much needed toughness - at a very good price and without shaking team chemistry nor Babcock's "schema".

The Wings are still in the bottom 3 in terms of toughness, so im not sure what the Probie/Kocur remark is all about.

Dear Mr. Ken Holland,

I would like to know that us Detorit Red Wings fans are pleased with your performance as General Manager of the Detroit Red Wings hockey club. I've included a small gift for your excellent job. Keep the good work, and lets bring Stanley home.

Your small gift:

IPB Image

Enjoy!!!

Sincerely,

A Lets Go Wings Fan

I'll toss him a snausage for Bertuzzi, but thats it!

hahahahaha

my favorite Red Wing hater-comment of the season was when i think it was some online writer for st. louis (probably) or columbus who said that the Wings would totally implode by Christmas cause no one in the locker room liked or respected Babs.

..HAH

I still think Babcock is the main reason why this team has done so well thus far, but I admit Holland came up huge at the deadline trading for Calder and Bertuzzi. :thumbup:

I agree mostly. But the point I'm trying to make is that Dave Lewis, Babs and the immortal Bowman all won the Prez trophy while Kenny has been the GM. 3 diffenent coaches, same GM. I know sole credit shouldn't be Kenny, but the man does seem to know what he's doing.

(edit due to forgeting Lewis infront of dave)

Edited by Mudvayneowns91

hahahahaha

my favorite Red Wing hater-comment of the season was when i think it was some online writer for st. louis (probably) or columbus who said that the Wings would totally implode by Christmas cause no one in the locker room liked or respected Babs.

..HAH

Well there statement seems like it was pretty true don't you think?

Sucks the wings aren't going to the playoffs this year, and how our team just collapsed.

Wings are just no good anymore, its quite sad :(

ahaha yeah frickin right :hehe: