• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest GordieSid&Ted

How about tossing Holland a small bone right now?

Rate this topic

The Wings are still in the bottom 3 in terms of toughness, so im not sure what the Probie/Kocur remark is all about.

you don't need a very tough team to be able to compete against physical teams like Ducks or Flames for instance. you just have to be able to continue playing your game despite other team's gooning it up. and you don't need to be as physicall as them.

prior to deadline Wings were able to stick to their gameplan even with other teams being pain in the ass. I'm not saying they were able to play on their level of toughness, but still managed to force their game. but this is just a single game and playoffs are obviously a different song

addition of Bertuzzi and Calder gives as additional muscle and makes the team better against physical teams. is this enough to survive best of seven against tougher and dirtier teams - we'll have to see the game, the refs (how they swallow whistles), etc. I can see some chance here. IMHO, better than before trade deadline

Remember all of us like a week before the trade deadline. "HOLLAND DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!" "OMG MAKE IT HAPPEN, KENNY..MAKE IT HAPPEN!! "GET TKACHUK!!" "GET GUERIN!!"" "GET BERT!!! "WHAT ARE YOU DOING? DO SOMETHING ALREADY!"

:lol:

Same thing is going to happen come July 1st.

Free agent frenzy, come on Holland get ________ (insert name)!!

Edited by Hockey13Playa

Remember all of us like a week before the trade deadline. "HOLLAND DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!" "OMG MAKE IT HAPPEN, KENNY..MAKE IT HAPPEN!! "GET TKACHUK!!" "GET GUERIN!!"" "GET BERT!!! "WHAT ARE YOU DOING? DO SOMETHING ALREADY!"

I'd still would've liked Jason Blake. His grit and hustle may have rubbed off on Lang enough to get Lang off his lazy butt and skate.

you don't need a very tough team to be able to compete against physical teams like Ducks or Flames for instance. you just have to be able to continue playing your game despite other team's gooning it up. and you don't need to be as physicall as them.

prior to deadline Wings were able to stick to their gameplan even with other teams being pain in the ass. I'm not saying they were able to play on their level of toughness, but still managed to force their game. but this is just a single game and playoffs are obviously a different song

addition of Bertuzzi and Calder gives as additional muscle and makes the team better against physical teams. is this enough to survive best of seven against tougher and dirtier teams - we'll have to see the game, the refs (how they swallow whistles), etc. I can see some chance here. IMHO, better than before trade deadline

Ok. I was inclined to believe since you mentioned Probert and Kocur in your post that you were talking toughness in terms of scrappin' tough.

Just not sure why you mentioned them is all.

Just not sure why you mentioned them is all.

my point was that at his retirement ceremony Stevie mentioned Probbie and Kocur right at the begining of all acknowledgments. not guys like Larionov, Nick, Dom, Shanny, but very much these tough guys in first order. mine (but also of several other people here) impression was that he was pressuring Holland to "get the f* something done" :)

Holland dumped Williams and brought in Calder and Bertuzzi for practically nothing. Signing Hasek is looking like a pretty shrewd gamble that's paying off. The Wings are first overall.

He's made a lot of smart moves to do what he can to prep this team for the playoffs without selling its future.

Now it's up to the guys on the ice.

my favorite Red Wing hater-comment of the season was when i think it was some online writer for st. louis (probably) or columbus who said that the Wings would totally implode by Christmas cause no one in the locker room liked or respected Babs.

Yeah, that was mostly Legace talking in Andy Stricklands ear. Strickland, by the way, is a writer for the Blues on HockeyBuzz and is also a radio analyst.

I'll toss him a snausage for Bertuzzi, but thats it!

That's quite generous of you. :P

That's quite generous of you. :P

Not only that, but i was in a giving mood and inserted another special treat inside the snausage. It has this interesting, cool looking logo i'll post below on the box, i have no idea know what it means but im sure its good.

IPB Image

It must mean its high in calcium?

You gave him a free pirate?? Hell yes whoa! IPB Image

Sure, i gave him the pirate and someone else can give him the accessory "hook" to go with it if the Wings lose early again! :P

you know what,..i love the salary cap. Here's why

if there wasn't a salary cap, we trade for forskin, and or guerin, we signed gerber last year, and we dont' take a gamble on the three guys we got that are playing like a goldmine in calder, hasek, and bert.

We have far exceeded everyone's expectations of us for two straight years. Ironicly it's the same crap we've heard since 98'. There too old, too slow, won't compete in the playoffs yada yada yada. For the first time since we won that cup in 97' i think we finally able to compete with playoff teams using more than just skill. A new age in red wing history dawns, this go round,...it just may be about grit.

I have been saying it for a while.

Holland is the best GM in hockey.

He has kept the Wings competetive despite having to slash payroll by 50% a couple years ago, he has managed to consistently find new pieces to fill holes left by departing players, and to pick up skilled players in the draft.

He has been GM for two Cup winners in the past ten seasons--something matched only by Lou Lamoirello in the same time frame. He has kept the Wings consistently among the league's best teams even as their downfall is predicted every year for this reason or that.

Alright, Ill admit that I have been on Holland's case for over year now BUT I still don't give a f*** about anything this year unless it means a Stanley Cup. If we do go out early this year I will be just as unhappy as I was last year. I bitched all summer about Holland and how he didn't make any moves because of the performance in the playoffs. So, having said that I will reserve judgement until summer.

I agree in principle, but let's not be misleading here. Expand the parameters by one season and we see Lou's still got the edge on Kenny, three Cups to two.

Or alternatively, condense down to the last 8 seasons--covering only time Holland has been in the position.

If you reach back to three years before Holland was a GM, sure Lou has another Cup.

Guess what, you can reach back to 91 and say Clarke had three teams in the finals to Holland's two.

Or alternatively, condense down to the last 8 seasons--covering only time Holland has been in the position.

If you reach back to three years before Holland was a GM, sure Lou has another Cup.

Ten seemed like a rather arbitrary number, was all. I didn't notice that it fell into the no-man's land before Holland's first year as GM and after Lou's first Cup.

Guess what, you can reach back to 91 and say Clarke had three teams in the finals to Holland's two.

Yeah, how'd that work out for him? :P

In terms of judging GMs, I think you have to look at the new era that includes the salary cap. Brian Burke leads in that category IMO

What makes Burke so special? He has never had true success as a GM, EVER.

In fact, he should be more heavily scrutinized, considering his pre-cap comments about how his team would win the Cup every year if the financial playing field were level, and the fact that a large number of people agreed with him on this subject.

Except now he has assembled a pretty solid team. Best team he's ever had. If they don't steamroll to the Cup, how does Burke look?

People on here talk about firing Holland if the Wings go out in the first two rounds this year. When has Burke EVER had a team win two rounds?

EDIT: Not to mention Burkle's total inability to upgrade his team at the deadline--twice getting outdone by Holland, who gave up nearly nothing for either Bertuzzi or Calder.

Edited by eva unit zero