• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mighty Wings

Unusual amount of Playoff tickets still remain

Rate this topic

I mean, the playoff games will obviously sell out. But this is a far cry from the days when I would get on Ticketmaster and try to get first round tickets and be unsuccessful because all four games were sold out within a matter of minutes. It's ebb and flow, I guess.

Playoff tickets for the Wings are so vastly overpriced, it's sicking. How do they really expect anyone to go watch a team when their going to charge as high as $68 for only standing room tickets? Normally this wouldn't effect people, but this year it comes at a crossroad of three points:

1. The economic situation in Michigan makes you think the New York Islanders front office is running the state. It's at it's lowest low, and people just don't have enough money to spend. Combined with the fact that the tickets are so expensive, and nobody's going to buy them. If a one game only ticket costs you about as much as one months electric bill, what will you spend it on?

2. Another point that some people seem to miss is the Tigers. After their success last year, everyone far and wide is on the Tigers bandwagon. This creates competition for tickets. This being mentioned leads into my next point...

3. Here's a situation where Mike Illitch owns two successful teams. One charges fairly decent prices for tickets so you can take the family and such to enjoy. The other charges so much money to go see that you have to take out a home loan just to have an enjoyable evening, and this is generally by yourself! It's ridiculous how much money Wings tickets cost. Givin the already mentioned economic situation the state is in, not many people can even afford tickets.

Don't let people fool you with this crap of "Nobodys going because they won't get past the first round". That simpily isn't the case. If you have a good sports team going into the playoffs, people will generally go, even if they lost in the first round the previous year. The reason people aren't going is the economic situation the state is in. And unless Mike Illitch is going to lower tickets prices (which will never happen unless the Wings fall apart) or the states turns itself around economy-wise, this sort of thing will become commonplace over the next few years to come.

edited for grammar

Edited by Kp-Wings

Say all you want about the economic conditions, it certainly is a valid point, but I really think the bigger issue here is what you stated as your #2 point: The Detroit Tigers. It's not a secret that the tide has turned from Hockeytown to Tigertown throughout the past year, and this plays into it big time. Not only are people saving their money to buy Tigers tickets (or still recovering from buying too many of them last season), there also just isn't the excitement surrounding the NHL playoffs this year.

But, like I said earlier, it ebbs and flows. The Tigers own the city right now, but it might only take a Red Wings playoff push to make things change back again.

1. The economic situation in Michigan makes you think the New York Islanders front office is running the state. It's at it's lowest low, and people just don't have enough money to spend. Combined with the fact that the tickets are so expensive, and nobody's going to buy them. If a one game only ticket costs you about as much as one months electric bill, what will you spend it on?

I agree with about everything you said there. The ticket prices are ridiculous--they're also over the top for regular season, as it is. I mean, the best seats to watch a game in the Joe? It's from the first five rows of the Upper Bowl, straight down to the first in the Lower.

And that's $76 a pop, base minimum. That's $140+ for the price of admission alone between you if you're going with a friend, or taking a date (hey, if they like hockey, it might be worth it ;), but..) Sorry, but I don't think so. I love the team, I love being at games, but I've got other things to spend that money on. Halve it, and it might start sounding sane.

I think that people just don't want to pay high price for the first round and see us get elimated and play badly like what happened last year but once we get past Calgary and into the second round i think that the tickets will sell alot faster

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/webl...layoff_tickets/

Looks like fans have had enough. Some are the type that won't bother getting 1st round tickets because they wanna see the wings advance past the first round.

THIS IS SHOCKING!!! considering the 10-15 year waiting list for season tickets I have "heard" people talking about :rolleyes::huh:

I am sure they will eventually be sold out...no worries.

brutus

THIS IS SHOCKING!!! considering the 10-15 year waiting list for season tickets I have "heard" people talking about :rolleyes::huh:

I am sure they will eventually be sold out...no worries.

brutus

once everything in the standings is settled all those tickets will be gone in a flash IMO

I just wish the dates were locked down. NFM needs home Saturday-Sunday games since its a 8-9 hour drive from Green Bay. Once the dates are locked in, if there's a game on one of those two days in Detroit, than I can get tickets. The problem is that the games will be sold out by the time the schedule is released.

Oh well, at least I have a couple contacts now that can hook me up with some seats even on later notice.

First round for a team like Detroit is like the regular season...we always make it there...if we get past that, people will forget about the very real economic problems in this state in order to have a good time. It's just a combination of the fact that the economy sucks and the first round tends to be a given for the Wings and recently, we're not too hot at getting past it. I'm not really worried.

I think things will change in a few years on the marketing level as well...Illitch will have to account for the fact that the tickets don't sell themselves like they did when you had a lineup full of superstars. Equilibrium will come once again and I don't doubt that we'll remain a competitive team and market for as long as our owners and management team is at the helm. I ain't the biggest Kenny lover but I sure ain't a hater either. He's doing a pretty good job all things considered and again, he's been setting himself up for this offseason when there are a lot of free agents on the market and most contracts beging operating around the new system.

I also heard something a while ago, that I thought was interesting. There are some people (not everyone) who don't want to pay sky-high prices to see the wings lose in the 1st round when all that money would be going towards other teams like Chicago, NYI, Phoenix, etc anyway as part of the Revenue sharing.

Edited by Mighty Wings

Huh? You think people are waiting unitl they find out where they finish in the standings? That makes no sense to me.

well you have to assume that not EVERY person at the playoff game is going to be from Michigan so we will have fans of the other team envolved weather it be Calgary, Minnesota, Dallas, or San Jose not only will they buy tickets, but certain people will buy tickets based on, again, which team we meet in the first round (i.e. some people may be more apt to buy playoff tickets if it is Detroit vs Dallas...ect), so...yes I think people are waiting until they find out where we finish in the standings

edit=Clarification

Edited by Elshupacabra

Ticket prices are seriously out of control.

So many regulars give them up that a lot are available...then no one can afford them, or can, but have to weight the lofty decision of going to a game where we might just get eliminated 1st round...or lose the game.

Let me tell you: It's heartbreaking to pay $300 to watch your team lose...it gets worse as the rounds go on, even if it does get more exciting.

$68 for only standing room tickets?

Don't forget the surcharge and delivery fees. I checked ticketmaster when tickets first went on sale and reserved a pair of SRO, but I let them go when I saw the price. It was almost as much as a car payment. Probably more after adding in parking and a couple of beers at the game.

Don't forget the surcharge and delivery fees. I checked ticketmaster when tickets first went on sale and reserved a pair of SRO, but I let them go when I saw the price. It was almost as much as a car payment. Probably more after adding in parking and a couple of beers at the game.

You can get your tickets at Macys with a much smaller surcharge and no delivery fees

But still...$68...

Edited by Elshupacabra

Say all you want about the economic conditions, it certainly is a valid point, but I really think the bigger issue here is what you stated as your #2 point: The Detroit Tigers. It's not a secret that the tide has turned from Hockeytown to Tigertown throughout the past year, and this plays into it big time. Not only are people saving their money to buy Tigers tickets (or still recovering from buying too many of them last season), there also just isn't the excitement surrounding the NHL playoffs this year.

But, like I said earlier, it ebbs and flows. The Tigers own the city right now, but it might only take a Red Wings playoff push to make things change back again.

Yzerman isn't lacing on the skates. People identified with him. Now, he's not there.