• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
puckloo39

Masterton Trophy

Rate this topic

I was perusing the NHL.com trophy section and wondered who you all think should win the Masterton Trophy? Not a very "important" award really, but some pretty impressive players have won it.

The Masterton Trophy is given to the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey. The winner is selected in a poll of all chapters of the PHWA at the end of the regular season.

Last year's winner was Teemu Selanne, who came back from knee surgery and a horrible year/mistake in Colorado with Fallie Paulie and then the lockout, to play spectacular hockey in Anaheim. He's an acknowledged fan-favorite (certainly in my top five favorite NHLers). Steve Yzerman won it in 2003, for reasons I don't have to outline here. Saku Koivu, Bryan Berard, Mario Lemieux are among past winners, having overcome obstacles and come back to play stellar hockey.

You all can guess who I think should win it this year. Perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey pretty much sum up Dom this season. He won't win the Vezina, having played 20+ fewer games this season than the front runners -- a sacrifice on his part. For the greater good of the team, he agreed to do whatever it took, even if it meant not playing when he could have and wanted to. I don't think even his harshest critics can cite him for poor sportsmanship this year (Kris Draper called him "the perfect team mate"), or his dedication to a game he loves and lives for.

The fact that the media are the ones who decide this award will be the reason he doesn't win it, most likely.

I can think of a couple of other candidates. Anyone else want to play?

edit: PHWA = Professional Hockey Writers Association

Edited by puckloo39

I was perusing the NHL.com trophy section and wondered who you all think should win the Masterson Trophy? Not a very "important" award really, but some pretty impressive players have won it.

The Masterson Trophy is given to the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey. The winner is selected in a poll of all chapters of the PHWA at the end of the regular season.

Last year's winner was Teemu Selanne, who came back from knee surgery and a horrible year/mistake in Colorado with Fallie Paulie and then the lockout, to play spectacular hockey in Anaheim. He's an acknowledged fan-favorite (certainly in my top five favorite NHLers). Steve Yzerman won it in 2003, for reasons I don't have to outline here. Saku Koivu, Bryan Berard, Mario Lemieux are among past winners, having overcome obstacles and come back to play stellar hockey.

You all can guess who I think should win it this year. Perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey pretty much sum up Dom this season. He won't win the Vezina, having played 20+ fewer games this season than the front runners -- a sacrifice on his part. For the greater good of the team, he agreed to do whatever it took, even if it meant not playing when he could have and wanted to. I don't think even his harshest critics can cite him for poor sportsmanship this year (Kris Draper called him "the perfect team mate"), or his dedication to a game he loves and lives for.

The fact that the media are the ones who decide this award will be the reason he doesn't win it, most likely.

I can think of a couple of other candidates. Anyone else want to play?

edit: PHWA = Professional Hockey Writers Association

Phil Kessel will win it.

Yeah Kessel is definitely the front-runner...Chelios might be #2 right behind him, breaking the defenseman longevity and playoff seasons played records this year...I'd say he's definitely worth considering for a Masterton.

That's easy to say, but I kinda disagree.

If Yashin wasn't injured, he'd make a good arguement.

Lecavlier for finally living up to his potential (and St. Louis had a nice come-back season, too). Iginla and Sakic, same.

But Brunette exempifies all of those qualities, he came back from a string of 'eh' seasons to prove he was elite (23rd in scoring).

Actually, forget it, Hasek all the way, definitely. Kessel basically had cells malfunction in his testicles, they were fixed, life goes on. I'm sure he would agree that doesn't merit a trophy. He's had enough pats on the back. Lemeiux was different- three kinds of cancer, very painful (Chemotherapy, not radiation, like Kessel), a broken neck and back WHILE STILL PLAYING and winning the Stanley Pie. Then, he came back and dominated aftere like three years. /Tangent

Hasek over Kessel.

And Saku won it in 2002.

She never said otherwise.

It's the Masterton, by the way. And Saku won it in 2002.

Aww, Masterton?

I thought we were talking about the Bat Masterson trophy, for the player who most exemplifies the qualities of 'dandy' and 'gunfighter'.

That's easy to say, but I kinda disagree.

If Yashin wasn't injured, he'd make a good arguement.

Lecavlier for finally living up to his potential (and St. Louis had a nice come-back season, too). Iginla and Sakic, same.

But Brunette exempifies all of those qualities, he came back from a string of 'eh' seasons to prove he was elite (23rd in scoring).

Actually, forget it, Hasek all the way, definitely. Kessel basically had cells malfunction in his testicles, they were fixed, life goes on. I'm sure he would agree that doesn't merit a trophy. He's had enough pats on the back. Lemeiux was different- three kinds of cancer, very painful (Chemotherapy, not radiation, like Kessel), a broken neck and back WHILE STILL PLAYING and winning the Stanley Pie. Then, he came back and dominated aftere like three years. /Tangent

Hasek over Kessel.

She never said otherwise.

The Masterton is not for 'the elite player who had a comeback year after playing poorly the previous season' like many seem to be suggesting. Nor is it for 'the former superstar who takes less to play for a good team' like Hasek is being suggested for.

[/font]

It's for a player who fights through adversity, usually in the form of something beyond his control, and is able to continue playing or return to playing. Not for the player who has an off year and then plays well again (Brunette, Lecav, Sakic, Iginla).

That's Kessel.

Aww, Masterton?

I thought we were talking about the Bat Masterson trophy, for the player who most exemplifies the qualities of 'dandy' and 'gunfighter'.

smarties, all of you! maybe some nice mod will fix my spelling error in the topic title, eh? :P

Cheli would be kinda cool, I agree. Brunette's not a bad choice either. I guess. Phil Kessel is a nice kid and I am really glad he's doing well, but...nah, for this award. I still think Dom hits all the requirements dead on, and he's 42 and still an elite player on top of that. But that's just me.

Owen Nolan is a possible candidate. He missed all of last season. If he plays in all 3 remaining games this year, he will have played in 76 games this season. He has only played more than that twice in his career (98-99 & 99-00).

I have about as much of a chance as Hasek

I tend to agree, it's a very subjective award, and voted on by the hockey media, so... you probably have a much better chance of winning it than Dom does. :P

Owen Nolan is a possible candidate. He missed all of last season. If he plays in all 3 remaining games this year, he will have played in 76 games this season. He has only played more than that twice in his career (98-99 & 99-00).

Hadn't thought about him, possibly because I can't stand him. But you're right, he could be in the running.

You guys are handing it over to Kessel too quickly

CURTIS BROWN should win it. Im all for perserverance after losing one of your balls, but ld much rather lose a ******** than lose my daughter to SIDS. IMO, thats harder to overcome.

And not to take anything away from testicular cancer, but it has a very high survival rate.

You guys are handing it over to Kessel too quickly

CURTIS BROWN should win it. Im all for perserverance after losing one of your balls, but ld much rather lose a ******** than lose my daughter to SIDS. IMO, thats harder to overcome.

And not to take anything away from testicular cancer, but it has a very high survival rate.

OMG, YG... how did I miss that? Poor Curtis, I loved him when he was a Sabre and as a Shark, and I didn't see that. Poor family. :(

Not that it's any indicator, but Kessel is a rookie. It seems like the past winners tend to be players who overcame adversity and illnesses and such, but who also have paid their NHL dues, if you know what I mean.

But you never know, I guess. It is the hockey writers who are voting on it and they're pretty fickle and predicatably unpredictable. Phil might get it just because he survived cancer and he plays for the Bruins. Double whammy. ;)

Dom nominated

I am not the only one who thinks Dom deserves to be recognized for his dedication to the game, after all! :thumbup:

"Hasek was a natural choice for the Bill Masterton Memorial trophy, awarded annually to the NHL player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey. At 42, he has overcome severe groin injuries to be among the NHL's elite again. His 2.05 goals-against average is second overall, and his eight shutouts trail only the 12 racked up by New Jersey's Martin Brodeur."

PS - on that last stat, if you play every game, you stand a better chance of racking up more shut outs. I don't even know NJ's back-up goalie's name, do they even have one? ;)

Edited by puckloo39

Dom nominated

I am not the only one who thinks Dom deserves to be recognized for his dedication to the game, after all! :thumbup:

"Hasek was a natural choice for the Bill Masterton Memorial trophy, awarded annually to the NHL player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey. At 42, he has overcome severe groin injuries to be among the NHL's elite again. His 2.05 goals-against average is second overall, and his eight shutouts trail only the 12 racked up by New Jersey's Martin Brodeur."

PS - on that last stat, if you play every game, you stand a better chance of racking up more shut outs. I don't even know NJ's back-up goalie's name, do they even have one? ;)

i'm not surprised hasek is nominated. one player from every team gets nominated. for the wings, it was pretty much either hasek or chelios.