• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Legionnaire11

LGW Fit Club

Rate this topic

HC,

Barring anything out of the ordinary (and with all the tests you've had, you can rest easy that it's not), it's just a matter of calories in vs. calories out. Dieting pretty much just boils down to that. It's a pain in the butt, but if you really want to adjust your weight, it's hard to beat writing down everything you eat each day, and figuring out how many calories you're consuming daily. You might be surprised how much that fluctuates. When you're busy and stressed, you may eat much less (or much more).

The rule of thumb is this: For every 3,500 calories you eat, that's about a pound of body weight. Say you write down what you're eating (and pay attention to serving sizes, they can be deceptively big or small sometimes!) and find you eat 2,000 kcals/day on average. To stay at the weight you're at, you'd continue to eat that much. Basically, you're body is burning the same number of calories you're eating (caloric balance). To gain a pound a week, you'd add 500 kcals to your diet each day, which would mean 2,500 calories. To lose a pound a week, you'd subtract 500 kcals/day, or 1,500 per day. The other factor is exercise. If you burn more calories, you can lose weight that way. You could add an exercise that burns 200 calories each day, subtract 300 calories from your daily intake, and achieve the same thing.

You shouldn't try to lose or gain weight much faster than 1 pound per week. Especially when you're trying to lose weight, you can easily push your body into catabolism, where you're burning muscle rather than fat, if you try to do it too fast. What you eat matters, too, especially when it comes to whether the weight you're gaining or losing is muscle or fat. But in terms of your total body weight, it's pretty much down to how much you eat.

BM, this REALLY helps and I absolutely appreciate it.

I was actually going to start writing down what I eat and how many calories *even though it would be a pain* just to make sure im getting a sufficient amount everyday!

I've always had a problem with not eating a lot. It happened to me when I was younger *around 10 or so* and especially when I have a cold, flu..etc.. and that in itself makes me lose weight, easily. There will be a few years when Im doing great with food, and then a year or two later I'll start losing weight again because of stress, anxiety, etc..and then I lose my appetite because of it. It sucks. But I don't like seeing myself lose weight all the time for no reason so im going to do some new things and go on a healthy diet and see how it all works out!

Thanks for all the info, buddy!

:)

That musta been a huge log girl! :yowza:

eww nooo. haha I went to pee!

maintaining a steady pace. I'll update tomorrow night, it should be close to the 3lbs i've been dropping each week, but it might be 2, might be 4. hopefully 4 because i've done exercise this week! :clap:

That's awesome! Good for you. Keep it up!

You're actually better off eating 5-6 small meals a day, since it keeps your metabolism going.

But yes, don't skip breakfast, that's bad.

Not sure why I'm chiming in on this thread.....(well - I'm just plain nosey is the truth)

Anyways......I've heard it said that that's how diabetics should eat. Furthermore I've also heard it said that EVERYONE should eat like a diabetic. Like that 6 meal diet you said.

As far as breakfast? I personally think that if you skip it? You really really f*** up your blood sugar levels for the entire day. Eat SOMETHING, at LEAST drink a glass of O.J or whatever.......

K, all done.................

aloha

Checked my weight at the gym, down 5 pounds to 180 :) I think I've probably lost more body fat, since I can tell I've put on more muscle. My pants are looser as well.

I'm not going to hit where I'd like to be by the wedding next month, but I'm on the right track.

Not sure why I'm chiming in on this thread.....(well - I'm just plain nosey is the truth)

Anyways......I've heard it said that that's how diabetics should eat. Furthermore I've also heard it said that EVERYONE should eat like a diabetic. Like that 6 meal diet you said.

As far as breakfast? I personally think that if you skip it? You really really f*** up your blood sugar levels for the entire day. Eat SOMETHING, at LEAST drink a glass of O.J or whatever.......

K, all done.................

aloha

The thing is I do eat as soon as I wake up. But it's when I wake up that's not considered breakfast anymore. LOL so does that even count?

I'll usually eat some oatmeal, or cereal along with some fruit and some juice or water.

Checked my weight at the gym, down 5 pounds to 180 :) I think I've probably lost more body fat, since I can tell I've put on more muscle. My pants are looser as well.

I'm not going to hit where I'd like to be by the wedding next month, but I'm on the right track.

Great job! :thumbup:

The thing is I do eat as soon as I wake up. But it's when I wake up that's not considered breakfast anymore. LOL so does that even count?

I'll usually eat some oatmeal, or cereal along with some fruit and some juice or water.

Great job! :thumbup:

Sometimes....3-4x week I wake up very early/late.......3 a.m-ish....I eat an apple. Not sure why.....I just do. I feel better the next day too!

P.S. one of my grandpa's taught me how to 'eat' an apple. There is nothing left. No stem, no seeds etc etc. Eat that whole thing. Never sure why that was, but I don't wake up next to any brown apple cores now.

Update #3

Starting Weight: 222

Last Weigh-in: 216

Current Weight: 214

Target Weight: 190

Target Date: 6/29/07 (day that I leave for my wedding 6/30!!)

Only two pounds this week, but I felt really good all week. I do have some really good news. I've signed up for a 5k walk/jog thing in two weeks. More motivation to work extra hard on exercise! I've got the eating thing down, it's the exercise that I have a hard time with.

Update #3

Only two pounds this week, but I felt really good all week. I do have some really good news. I've signed up for a 5k walk/jog thing in two weeks. More motivation to work extra hard on exercise! I've got the eating thing down, it's the exercise that I have a hard time with.

:clap: Well done bud, it's unreal how good you feel when you lose weight :) . good luck with the 5k walk/ jog , you''ll do it now problem. keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Edited by glasgowcelticwing

Update #3

Wow, great job! Keep it up. :thumbup:

That's awesomeabout the walk. That oughta get you going even better now.

I'm gonna try to get in shape a bit more too! I've always been a runner, but I have been slacking since winter came around, and I got a little soft and squidgy over the past few months. I just wanna get more toned and maybe drop a few pounds.

My goal is to cardio 4 times a week, strength train 3 times a week, and eat under 1500 calories 6 days a week. I also plan to reward myself here and there if I meet those goals each week, but I haven't figured out the exact details. I'm thinking like buy a new CD or a new shirt or something along those lines. We'll see how it goes!

I can update too if I meet my goals each week. My weight doesn't change much so I don't know if that will be a good base. Like at my most fit (before last summer pry) I was pry 129 and a looser size 4 and now I'm 136 and a fuller size 6. So since I don't imagine I could lose more than 8 pounds or so (healthfully) I'll just post if I meet my goals or not. :)

I was at my grandmom's house yesterday since she has just gotten out of rehab (hip replacement).

Both her and my sister commented on how I look slimmer and asked if I've been losing weight. It felt really good since the last two years have been nothing but the opposite.

I was at my grandmom's house yesterday since she has just gotten out of rehab (hip replacement).

Both her and my sister commented on how I look slimmer and asked if I've been losing weight. It felt really good since the last two years have been nothing but the opposite.

:clap: Keep up the good work L11. It definetly give's you a confidence boost to hear your friend's and family giving you compliment's. :):thumbup:

It definitely feels good to here stuff like that. I enjoyed every moment of it a few years ago. ;)

I hear ya, I got up at noon and ate some cereal and a bagel, and then at about 2pm I had lunch, does that count? :lol:

Good Job Legionnaire11, keep up the good work. With the rate your going you will definetely meet your goal by the wedding. :thumbup:

Update #4

Last Weigh-in: 214

Current Weight: 213

Target Date: 6/29/07 (the day that I leave for my wedding which is 6/30!!)

-----------------------------------------

the last two weeks have been slower for some reason. saturday is the 5k and i've been working out for it. I think i'm building up the muscle in my legs again which is a good thing. I don't have a problem with weighing so much, but it's the distribution of the weight that bothers me.

also, I don't know if it's a side effect of eating better and being more active, but this nasty wart that i've had on my thumb is starting to go away.

I'm down to 211 today, and I've been steadily falling now for months. My body fat % isn't improving though, which means I need to do more than just eat right...time to hit the bike again.

I forgot to update but I met my goals last week!

This week has been super busy and I'm having trouble keeping up. I'm doing well in watching what I eat, but I'm having trouble finding the motivation and energy to work out when I come home and am totally pooped. Hopefully I can find a way to get my workouts in so I stay on track this week. :)

Well, I've been pretty much stuck anywhere from 145-150.

I'd like to get down to the low 140s again but I'm real inconsistent with what I eat (i.e. 1-2 days real healthy, next day bad, etc.) and since I lost so much weight a few years ago from nearly 180 - low 140s, part of me isn't worried about it as much as long as I don't get too much over 150.

And I've been working out like a madman lately with cardio work almost every day. I do a big 5-6 mile run usually once over weekends, I do a spinning class most Friday evenings, and if my legs aren't worn out I try to cycle anywhere from 10-20 miles once over the weekend as well.

If I finally ever decide to eat a bit better (again) I'd have no trouble losing the few pounds, because I almost always have the motivation to exercise just about every day, and more often than not I am pretty intense and push myself really hard when exercising, espeically when it comes to cardio work.

But, as stated, I lost so much weight a while ago that it as not as much of a big deal to me, plus I'm trying to enjoy eating a bit more right now.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

...I had a horrible weekend. I went on an 8 hour road trip which obviously included stopping for fast food.

McDonalds, Burger King, Sonic, Sonic again and McDonalds again.

I guess after a month of not eating that stuff had a bigger affect on me than I thought. I woke up this morning with the worst stomach ache ever and suffered 3 reversals.

While this weekend meltdown was a big mistake, if I can take any positives from it, i'd say that I will not be consuming any more of that junk for a long time.

...I had a horrible weekend. I went on an 8 hour road trip which obviously included stopping for fast food.

McDonalds, Burger King, Sonic, Sonic again and McDonalds again.

I guess after a month of not eating that stuff had a bigger affect on me than I thought. I woke up this morning with the worst stomach ache ever and suffered 3 reversals.

While this weekend meltdown was a big mistake, if I can take any positives from it, i'd say that I will not be consuming any more of that junk for a long time.

Don't worry bud everybody fall's off the "Wagon" now and again. :P You can still do it once in a while. :)

I've been working all sorts of crazy hour's the past few week's and have been eating a lot of junk myself. but because I've been so busy I've also been skipping a lot of meal's. My weight hasn't changed but I have been feeling like crap tho.

Edited by glasgowcelticwing

So I finally got moving on my own weight-loss goals. Got in a workout each evening since leaving port now. I'm gonna have to get running shoes, my current pair of tennies is not going to cut it. My starting weight is 196 lbs. That's up from between 145-150 in high school, and I haven't grown an inch. I've added muscle since then, so I'm thinking 155-160 would be ideal, but for right now my goal is one pound a week to be at 177 by the end of this deployment.

I did not meet my goals last week. :(

Sickness mixed with business at work = I was wearing tiredpants. I couldn't work out to save my life. I did stay on track for my eating though, and had 6 good days and 1 bad day.

So this week I'm hoping to get over my cold in the next couple days and get back into some workouts!

I thaught I'd bump this thread ,

I feel great that I lost all the weight that I did and I've had a lot of complements too say how healthy I look , but there's also been a few people that I haven't seen for a long time that have been asuming I've had a disease or an eating disorder to loose all the weight that I have :angry: It's really starting too piss me off.

I get that sometimes too. :lol:

People tell me I don't need to lose any weight, and it's not like I'm planning to go overboard as I don't need to lose much, but still would just like to lose about 6 - 8 more over the next few weeks. Currently hovering in the middle pretty much around 145 - 150. Keep in mind I'm only about 5'7" so my weight/build is pretty respectable and average for my short size.

One thing I have started to add to my workouts during the week is treadmill running during the early mornings. I cannot stand it with a passion, but I just said f**k it recently and quit being a baby and am sucking it up and doing it now.

I try to do it at least 3 times a week for 20 - 25 minutes a time (along with running outdoors or cycling once during the weekends) will greatly help me get in better shape. Working out on EFX machines is nice, but when you hold on to the handrails more, you don't get as much workout with the legs obviously.

Unless I'm just going way too hard or fast on a treadmill, I'm not grabbing any handrails, which will mean more work for my legs and more energy to put into it.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan