• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Legionnaire11

LGW Fit Club

Rate this topic

i've gained weight again , i'm 156lbs now . i'd got down to142lbs but was told i was too thin, before that i was 239lbs. i've been told i look better for it now i've gained some weight and healthier . i'm okay with gaining weight but i gotta start exersising again and turn it into muscle. i'm aiming for 160lbs.

Do it! You've got an upcoming wedding too right?

Yup. We're getting married in October. Its just been so tough to go to the gym lately. Work has really picked up and we're trying to buy a house, which takes too much time.

That, and I have to pay attention to my Xbox 360.

You should try RapidCuts.

:lol:

Working out just about every day is just getting difficult for me.

When I work out, I usually push it pretty good. Last night I did a spinning class for nearly an hour which almost chopped my legs off, and whenever I do work out I usually run 3 miles at a good pace, sometimes try to up it to 4 miles.

But with a lengthy work commute, around 75 - 80 minutes total, and with other stuff going on in my personal life/hobbies, it's just difficult to do it every day. It's mostly highway driving to a more rural area to my job, but still it takes a while. I'm more of a cardio person than a weighlifter, so I'm lucky to lift weights more than once or twice a week. I've only been working out about 3, 4 days a week now. I had a spurt where I worked out early in the morning just about every weekday around 5:00/5:30am, but that's just hard to do with my commute/sleep as well. I almost always set my alarm for 4:00am but then I hit snooze one too many times. Functioning on just 4, 5 hours of sleep is hard.

I'm hoping to be in some financial good standing to possibly move into what my brother and sister-in-law's old place will be or some place comparable closer to my job sometime later this year, probably at most a 10 minute drive to work. If I do actually move, that will help me bigtime in working out nearly every day. It'll be tough to possibly leave home where it's been for almost all of my life, but I might just have to suck it up and do it since I'm happy at my job.

In terms of my dieting/weight during the week more often than not, my diet almost always consists of Lean Pocket sandwiches or corn soufflee. Anything over 300 calories in a meal is bad to me. So I eat just enough to keep me filled for a day. :D

Once a week though I almost always have to get my share of nacho chips and queso near my job. This little Mexican restaurant makes the best cheese queso on the planet (Moe's Southwest Grill). I almost always have to get my share of cheese fries once a week as well at a pub that I enjoy hanging out at. And sometimes I munch on chicken wings from this place once a week as well (Wow Cafe & Wingery). So, I guess a combination of eating light during the week and my taste buds get to me over the weekend. :lol:

I think I'm pretty much stuck around 150 pounds for life given my diet and inconsistent exercising. :lol:

How we doing kids???

Ha ha, I'm only posting because I've done well and I'm excited about it. I'm down 5 more pounds - so that makes 8 pounds in 4 weeks - woo hoo!!

The hardest thing is resisting the bad foods. I still have a cheat night on the weekend so I can booze and eat pizza - but during the week I stay away from it. Like today we get donuts on pay day and all I wanna do is stuff my face in the box - but I'm not. Grrr.

college sucks!!

I am getting an apartment next year, so I should feel less isolated and have more time to go lift/run

its funny, I used to run and lift weights everyday in HS, but I really havent found a routine yet in college. We have a free membership to the gym, but it gets crowded and it becomes hurry up and wait for equipment kinda thing.

Edited by Lidstromrules16

Bump.

Some people have Jenny Craig, and some people have Wii Fit, and I have LetsGoWings.com. So. For me, Round 2. Who's with me?

My own background: Last spring I weighed myself just before heading off on a 19 week deployment and realized I was tipping the scales at a ridiculous 196 pounds. I'm 5'7" and weighed a buck forty-five coming out of high school, so 196 shouldn't happen unless I'm carrying around a couple of medicine balls. Made a vow to myself I'd never, ever in my lifetime see the other side of 200. Made it my goal to lose a pound a week over the deployment and succeeded with flying colors, losing nearly 25. So last summer was a success story.

But....then we got back, and I had better things to do than work out, and then the holidays, and now here it is a year later, and I hit 191. Damn. Really, over the year it's a net loss of 5 pounds - I should have been so lucky in previous years.

So, I'm back on the treadmill and the weights with a renewed vigor. And I'm doing some interval training too - they say this helps the heart and the metabolism. (Last week I overdid it big time and was still breathing heavy over an hour after the workout. Yikes.) Now that I have a job with more regular hours and less stress, I expect to be able to keep a routine.

Again, my goal is a pound a week, for however long I can keep it up. To keep myself honest and give myself short-term goals, I'll post here every time I drop 3 pounds. Today I weigh 189, so my first four goal dates will be like this:

June 6: 186

June 27: 183

July 18: 180

August 8: 177

Time to see if I can meet or beat this schedule. Now, who's with me? Summer is the best time to work on getting fit.

I am with you sir! Thought I'd give this thread a nudge.

With the NHL playoffs over and me not having a sports team to root for thoroughly until football starts in September, I'm going to try to re-commit myself. Not so much that I have any weight problems, I just like to exercise and the like and I need to get back at it more on a consistent basis.

Other than a couple of work-related trips out of town this summer, nothing outside of my normal routine should really hold me back from being able to exercise a lot this summer unless something unexpected arises.

I'm basically going to try to commit myself to lifting weights 4 times a week, and running 3 - 4 miles/cycling class 4 times a week. Weekends, I'm going to try to do one lengthy bike ride.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Guest redwingsfan04

im am 180 at the moment, it is a healthy weight for me but i want to be very toned for the summer so my goal is 170 so all my muscles look like there popping out of my skin! This is going to be a challange losing weight without losing muscle very hard thing to do!

I'm still on the weight loss track!

A couple months ago my goal was 15 pounds by the wedding. I got to 11, which I was more than happy with. Then I gained 2 pounds on the honeymoon. I just got back into it this week. It was easier for me to workout before the wedding, because I was training for 10K so I just followed the training schedule and added my own mix. 4 days cardio sustained (30 - 60 min), 2 days cardio high intensity interval training, 2 days with strength also, 1 day of rest. This worked well for me.

Although, I really need to watch my food, and that's hardest for me. I pretty much maintain when I don't watch my diet - but I'll lose as soon as I start to seriously calorie count. And make sure I have protien with every meal, clean eating (NO processed foods, sodium in check).

If you're stuck, I'd suggest adding some intervals, extending sustained cardio a few minutes at a time and REALLY watching what you eat. Actually counting calories and eating CLEAN. You can try the dailyplate.com for a good calorie counting site. Although be careful, it tends to overestimate the number of calories burned during exercise (as do most machines, especially eliptical).

If you're stuck, I'd suggest adding some intervals, extending sustained cardio a few minutes at a time and REALLY watching what you eat.

I'm doing all of this. (Except for the close eye on what I eat. I tend to just eat what I like and try and minimize portion size. It's not like I'm out eating McDonalds every day. It's things like tuna sandwiches and a cookie for lunch, Stouffers for dinner, stuff like that.)

I do some interval stuff twice a week, and I've definitely been working my way upwards in both speed and time on the treadmill for the other three days. And three times a week I lift weights. All muscle groups - or at least, as many as I know of.

I think I might have lost an inch or so off my waist, which I suppose is progress, but the scale says otherwise. Hopefully it's just that I've added muscle weight at the same time, but I can't imagine adding muscle weight as fast as losing fat weight.

With everything in general just being so expensive now, I barely go out to eat during weekdays/work, I just eat in at work more often than not and all I eat are frozen tv-dinner type stuff. During a normal weekday if I consume more than 800 - 900 calories of breakfast/lunch/dinner, that is A LOT for me.

I never miss meals but me not eating giant portions of food during the week cancels out my spoardic exercising lately in terms of staying the same weight more/less.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

If anyone needs tips for weight training and the like, drop me a line. I went from 260 as a freshman in college to 175 now, and I've maintained that loss for the last 3 years. :)

I'm doing all of this. (Except for the close eye on what I eat. I tend to just eat what I like and try and minimize portion size. It's not like I'm out eating McDonalds every day. It's things like tuna sandwiches and a cookie for lunch, Stouffers for dinner, stuff like that.)

I do some interval stuff twice a week, and I've definitely been working my way upwards in both speed and time on the treadmill for the other three days. And three times a week I lift weights. All muscle groups - or at least, as many as I know of.

I think I might have lost an inch or so off my waist, which I suppose is progress, but the scale says otherwise. Hopefully it's just that I've added muscle weight at the same time, but I can't imagine adding muscle weight as fast as losing fat weight.

An inch off the waist is awesome. Seriously - inches matter way more than pounds I think. Sometimes it can take a few weeks for the scale to show something even if you've been doing everything right. Calories are sneaky though too - it's so easy to go over. If you are eating a lot of processed foods, your sodium intake may be high. Try to drink more water to balance out the high sodium. It sounds counter productive, but when sodium is high and your retaining water, you have to drink more to STOP retaining.

With everything in general just being so expensive now, I barely go out to eat during weekdays/work, I just eat in at work more often than not and all I eat are frozen tv-dinner type stuff. During a normal weekday if I consume more than 800 - 900 calories of breakfast/lunch/dinner, that is A LOT for me.

I never miss meals but me not eating giant portions of food during the week cancels out my spoardic exercising lately in terms of staying the same weight more/less.

Eating that low on calories (especially if you're working out) is horrible for your metabolism. I'm not sure for your gender/weight, but for me a female/125 I should never go below 1200. When you are below, gaining muscle is near impossible. You may lose weight, but you will lose muscle and fat - and no matter how much you lift your body will have a hard time building muscle if you're that low.

Eating that low on calories (especially if you're working out) is horrible for your metabolism. I'm not sure for your gender/weight, but for me a female/125 I should never go below 1200. When you are below, gaining muscle is near impossible. You may lose weight, but you will lose muscle and fat - and no matter how much you lift your body will have a hard time building muscle if you're that low.

I'm about 5'7" and my weight has pretty much ranged forever, and now, anywhere from 145 - 150. If I haven't been a male for my whole life, somebody up above has been doing a helluva job playing a prank on me. :D

I never considered metabolism at all. I didn't take into effect that I usually drink a few cups of coffee most days, so that actually brings the calorie count up a few notches, about 125 calories for 1 cup if I had to guess. So, with that in mind I might take in anywhere from 1200 - 1400 calories a day most days, rough estimation. So I could still take in more calories.

Even with the coffee I drink, I'd still probably end up well below "maintaining" my weight in terms of the target calroie goal for my figure. I usually eat bigger meals during the weekend though so in the grand scheme of things, some of the stuff probably balances out more or less.

I'm not all too worried about gaining muscle that much. I'm well within a healthy weight range for my height and I've never been a big guy, just overweight for the longest time which I curbed a few years ago. I just work muscles out and lift weights more to have somewhat of a balanced workout.

Pretty interesting stuff from this link. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

I'm about 5'7" and my weight has pretty much ranged forever, and now, anywhere from 145 - 150. If I haven't been a male for my whole life, somebody up above has been doing a helluva job playing a prank on me. :D

I never considered metabolism at all. I didn't take into effect that I usually drink a few cups of coffee most days, so that actually brings the calorie count up a few notches, about 125 calories for 1 cup if I had to guess. So, with that in mind I might take in anywhere from 1200 - 1400 calories a day most days, rough estimation. So I could still take in more calories.

Even with the coffee I drink, I'd still probably end up well below "maintaining" my weight in terms of the target calroie goal for my figure. I usually eat bigger meals during the weekend though so in the grand scheme of things, some of the stuff probably balances out more or less.

I'm not all too worried about gaining muscle that much. I'm well within a healthy weight range for my height and I've never been a big guy, just overweight for the longest time which I curbed a few years ago. I just work muscles out and lift weights more to have somewhat of a balanced workout.

Pretty interesting stuff from this link. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Coffee alone doesn't have any calories. If you are adding sugar and cream then you are probably around 80 calories a cup.

I'd guess to maintain you should be eating around 1800-2000 calories. If you are trying to lose weight, I'd cut that down by 300 and workout in addition. But anything less than 1500 would most likely result in slowing your metabolism, making weight loss (and muscle gain) that much more difficult. If your below that base amount your body goes into "starvation mode" - it doesn't believe it will get the calories it needs so it burns less and will start to metabolize muscle (not fat). This makes weight loss very difficult and you end up losing muscle instead of fat, if you can manage to drop any weight.

Coffee alone doesn't have any calories. If you are adding sugar and cream then you are probably around 80 calories a cup.

I'd guess to maintain you should be eating around 1800-2000 calories. If you are trying to lose weight, I'd cut that down by 300 and workout in addition. But anything less than 1500 would most likely result in slowing your metabolism, making weight loss (and muscle gain) that much more difficult. If your below that base amount your body goes into "starvation mode" - it doesn't believe it will get the calories it needs so it burns less and will start to metabolize muscle (not fat). This makes weight loss very difficult and you end up losing muscle instead of fat, if you can manage to drop any weight.

Right. Plain old black coffee is just tastes bad though despite having zip calories. BAD!!!!!!!!!! I got to have sweetener and sugar in my coffee. :D

I've never been one to purposefully skip meals or be anorexic, far from it, but I just rarely eat big meals when I am on a normal routine during the week. And while I'm not going to just abandon or drastically change how I lost a lot of weight a few years ago to get to more of a healthy state, I never once did consider metabolism in the grand scheme of things with dieting until I read your couple of posts on it here. Those posts and reading up on it a bit more on the 'Net was pretty interesting.

I'm not going to drastically change my food habits like I said as I think I look/feel physically healthy, but I will now consider metabolism intake on a more consistent basis now with my dieting to increase my calorie intake some for weight maintenance, by either maybe having a light snack or two outside of my normal meals or having a glass of wine or beer at home on a more consistent basis.

Good luck to everyone with their goals! Summer is a good time to get motivated and stick with it! I'm on the pound a week plan too, but as MSUDJ19 said, losing inches is almost as important, if not more. The BF and I are going to Hawaii in September, so I've got just about 12 weeks to lose 10 lbs (or at the very least, acheive bikini bod, etc.)

Start weight: 125

Start height: 5'2 (unchanging)

Date: 6/16/08

9-10 - 220 lbs

9-17- 217 lbs

9-24 - 213 lbs

10/1 - 212 lbs

10/8 - 209 lbs

I dug up this old post from last fall. Needless to say I took a sabbatical from working out and running daily . . . but I AM BACK. My goal is 195. I have ran yesterday for about 15 minutes (I know thats cramp, but I trying to ease my way back into it) and today I did some upper body lifting. I am going to get back on the running, lifting (not crazy body builder lifting) every other day for about a week. Then I will integrate lifting and running daily. And like last fall, I will cut most of the junk out.

Height 6-2

6/16 - 208 lbs

I look forward to seeing other results!!!

Edited by tipetz22

Good luck to everyone with their goals! Summer is a good time to get motivated and stick with it! I'm on the pound a week plan too, but as MSUDJ19 said, losing inches is almost as important, if not more. The BF and I are going to Hawaii in September, so I've got just about 12 weeks to lose 10 lbs (or at the very least, acheive bikini bod, etc.)

Start weight: 125

Start height: 5'2 (unchanging)

Date: 6/16/08

Good Luck! 10 pounds in 12 weeks sounds like a very attainable goal!

I dug up this old post from last fall. Needless to say I took a sabbatical from working out and running daily . . . but I AM BACK. My goal is 195. I have ran yesterday for about 15 minutes (I know thats cramp, but I trying to ease my way back into it) and today I did some upper body lifting. I am going to get back on the running, lifting (not crazy body builder lifting) every other day for about a week. Then I will integrate lifting and running daily. And like last fall, I will cut most of the junk out.

Height 6-2

6/16 - 208 lbs

I look forward to seeing other results!!!

Good job, and 15 minutes isn't crap it's something when you've been doing nothing. It always takes awhile to build back your endurance. Good luck!