• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Legionnaire11

LGW Fit Club

Rate this topic

*Shameless thread bump/all about me bragging* :blush:

I do mean to toot my own horn here (:P), I certainly did my part in terms of the fit category today. I rode 40 miles today bike-riding, the most I have ever done in one setting.

Below are a few links of a bike/jogging path not to far from where I live that I try to ride at least once a week and that I cycled a portion of this morning. Over the next few weekends I'm going to try to ride the entire path, which would probably take anywhere from 60 - 70 miles to do if I start from my house and take the normal routes I take. We'll see how full of s**t I am if I actually go through with this in a few weeks. :P

http://www.tammanytrace.org/

http://www.tammanytrace.org/tracemap.html

Weekly update:

6/16 - 208 lbs

6/23 - 209 lbs

Seems that I am going the wrong way, ha ha. This past week I lifted and ran evey other day. Running alittle over 2 miles Monday and Wednesday. Lifted Tuesday and Thrusday (of course different muscle groups). This week I am going to run everyday (2 miles every other day) and lift every other day. First couple of weeks is going to be tough. Time to buckle down this week!

*Shameless thread bump/all about me bragging* :blush:

I do mean to toot my own horn here (:P), I certainly did my part in terms of the fit category today. I rode 40 miles today bike-riding, the most I have ever done in one setting.

Below are a few links of a bike/jogging path not to far from where I live that I try to ride at least once a week and that I cycled a portion of this morning. Over the next few weekends I'm going to try to ride the entire path, which would probably take anywhere from 60 - 70 miles to do if I start from my house and take the normal routes I take. We'll see how full of s**t I am if I actually go through with this in a few weeks. :P

http://www.tammanytrace.org/

http://www.tammanytrace.org/tracemap.html

Thats awesome!!!! Good luck :)

I dug up this old post from last fall. Needless to say I took a sabbatical from working out and running daily . . . but I AM BACK. My goal is 195. I have ran yesterday for about 15 minutes (I know thats cramp, but I trying to ease my way back into it) and today I did some upper body lifting. I am going to get back on the running, lifting (not crazy body builder lifting) every other day for about a week. Then I will integrate lifting and running daily. And like last fall, I will cut most of the junk out.

Height 6-2

6/16 - 208 lbs

I look forward to seeing other results!!!

I think we are just about in the same boat. I'm 6'1" 208'ish and my goal is also 195.

I'm back today too! Back to the gym. Let's do this!

Weekly update:

6/16 - 208 lbs

6/23 - 209 lbs

Seems that I am going the wrong way, ha ha. This past week I lifted and ran evey other day. Running alittle over 2 miles Monday and Wednesday. Lifted Tuesday and Thrusday (of course different muscle groups). This week I am going to run everyday (2 miles every other day) and lift every other day. First couple of weeks is going to be tough. Time to buckle down this week!

That may have just been water weight - especially if you weighed yourself after a lifting day - your body can retain water up to 48 hours after a heavy lift day. Keep it up, you've got a tough plan for the week ahead! :)

I am trying a pilates class tonight - I've heard it's tough so hopefully I can manage my way through it. I did a cycling class last week and my legs were sore for almost 3 days - and I run 3-5 miles 5-6 days a week! I must have been working different muscles on the bike!

I've done my penance today in terms of the fit idea.

Below is a map of a biking/jogging path in the parish (county) I live in. It may not look like a whole lot in terms of distance, but it is, even with the small portion of it that is under construction and not rideable.

This morning I had to bike to get to the path from where I live which takes about 6-7 miles, I rode the entire thing which required riding parts of it twice due to the route I take to get the path safelyy, then riding my bike to get back home. When it was all done, I was absolutely drained when I got home early this afternoon and my odometer on my bike read 55.11 miles rode.

EDIT: Actually where I was talking about the path not being ridable was the Lacombe trailhead due to a damaged bridge. So, assuming everything was fixed, it'd probably add a good 12-14 miles on my route if I had to guess, which goes to show that the path is pretty long, a little over 30 miles if you do it one way from the very beginning of one of the start points.

2004trace-status-map.gif

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

i don't know how helpful this will be to anyone, but i've cut way back on my refined/extrinsic sugar intake, and i've noticed i have so much more energy (instead of just a burst and a crash), and i get hungry less often, and get fuller faster.

this, combined w/yoga, bike riding, and wii fit (plus various other wii games that involve getting off the couch) has caused me to lose about 4 inches off my waist in the past three weeks or so. i have never felt healthier in my life.

good luck!

i don't know how helpful this will be to anyone, but i've cut way back on my refined/extrinsic sugar intake, and i've noticed i have so much more energy (instead of just a burst and a crash), and i get hungry less often, and get fuller faster.

this, combined w/yoga, bike riding, and wii fit (plus various other wii games that involve getting off the couch) has caused me to lose about 4 inches off my waist in the past three weeks or so. i have never felt healthier in my life.

good luck!

Very impressive! Sugar pretty much is the devil I think. Good job.

I've been super busy with packing/moving/cleaning/unpacking that I've totally slacked on the gym. damn it. haha.

Good job to everyone doing well!

I'm stuck at the moment. I pulled my quad at softball last Wednesday so I haven't been able to run since. And I've been eating a lot of ice cream and beer. I plan to get back on track after my quad is fully healed - probably after the holiday weekend. I may try and walk/run tomorrow and see how it feels, but I won't push it.

Good job to everyone doing well!

I'm stuck at the moment. I pulled my quad at softball last Wednesday so I haven't been able to run since. And I've been eating a lot of ice cream and beer. I plan to get back on track after my quad is fully healed - probably after the holiday weekend. I may try and walk/run tomorrow and see how it feels, but I won't push it.

I've gotta be honest, ice cream and beer sounds like a lot more fun than running on the track!!! Sprained quad or not. haha.

wii boxing does it too. great cardio. im gonna try to do that when im at nathans for atleast 45 min. its so worth it. then I Have a dvd from a pistons game that has a work out on it. then attempt to ride my bike to work since its a mile round trip from home to work and back. all I know is that I want to lose 25 lbs right now and this ist he time to do it.

Update!

Start weight: 125

Start height: 5'2 (unchanging)

Goal weight: 115

Date: 6/16/08

Current weight: 122

Date: 7/9/08

A little behind the 1 lb a week mark, which puts me on target for the goal weight come September! Also had a slightly lazy holiday weekend which I'm sure set me back. I made it to the gym once or twice, but definitely slacked on the healthy eating. But how is one to resist with all of that food and alcohol just begging to be consumed? America insisted.

Have to admit that the slow results are a bit frustrating, when it feels like I'm otherwise working my ass off. But, slow and steady wins the race, etc. Provided that I don't go on a binge eating streak once I hit the goal and give up exercise entirely, I'll be able to maintain without doing anything drastic, and will have gotten right to where I want to be.

Keeping a variety of exercises is the other challenge. The only intense cardio I can tolerate is the elliptical machine. Running quite bores me and I always struggle to keep it up. But I'm able to work difference muscle groups on alternate days and incorporate yoga poses when it suits me. Stretching is my favorite thing to do!

Edited by zettermaberg

Ugh. It's been at least 8 weeks since I posted. I should be pushing 180 by now. Instead I still weigh in at 190 on a good day.....192 or 193 on a bad one. It's pissing me off that I worked out for 8 weeks and not a single pound to show for it.

I don't think the interval training did anything for me, so I'm cutting that out. I took a rest week last week and just rode the bike for a little bit instead of hitting the treadmill and the weights. (My shins are thanking me.)

Going to change it up a bit. Longer runs at a little bit slower speed, and simplifying the weightlifting I do, and including some conditioning stuff rather than just strength stuff.

Also going to try and cut way back on the pop. I did that last summer and it worked out well for me.

I barely even touch soda now. Helps plenty in time if you are patient and realize you aren't going to lose 15 pounds overnight obviously.

I'm peeved though. I was on vacation last week but actually spent just about every full day of vacation with a good bit of it weightlifting and running, but I got sick over the weekend and haven't been able to exercise at all the past few days due to the flu constantly going back and forth on having fever.

I want to get better soon because I do not anticipate having to do any big traveling for nearly 3 months and I'll probably be able to set into a consistent work and personal and workout routine and I want to try to shed a few pounds consistently down to around 145 pounds.

To the people who are struggling - are you counting your calories/keeping a food diary? If you want to see some loss - diet is the biggest part - way more than working out. The actually found that people who work out and don't diet don't often lose any weight - they allow themselves to indulge more because they worked out, so the calories cancel out. Plus it's much easier to cut out 500 calories a day than it is to work out for an hour and a half and burn that much. If you are using machines to measure calories burnt - be careful! They ALWAYS overestimate - the best way to see is to get a heart rate monitor.

I would recommend thedailyplate.com When I was more strict I lost much more easilya. Now I'm having a tough go of it because I'm not watching my diet - at least I'm maintaining and not gaining.

Good luck and keep it up - weight loss takes time so don't get too frustrated if you're not seeing results on the scale - invest in a dollar role of measuring tape - inches are a better measure than weight in my opinion.

I've just had an epiphany. Which sucks, because it means cutting back on THE staple of my diet. Milk. According to the chart there's 2080 calories in a gallon, and I usually burn through over 2 gallons a week. Last summer I hardly drank any milk at all because the Navy has this awful dehydrated stuff which doesn't spoil. Mainly (I say) because it already tastes terrible and can't get any worse.

I bet there's a connection to be made here. If I can drop back to just a gallon a week and drink more water instead, hell that's over 500 calories a day right there.

I'm just never gonna be able to get into counting every single calorie....I like food too much. But I think the new workout routine I'm doing is much better than the old one. So hopefully by the end of the month I'll finally see some results on the scale.

I've just had an epiphany. Which sucks, because it means cutting back on THE staple of my diet. Milk. According to the chart there's 2080 calories in a gallon, and I usually burn through over 2 gallons a week. Last summer I hardly drank any milk at all because the Navy has this awful dehydrated stuff which doesn't spoil. Mainly (I say) because it already tastes terrible and can't get any worse.

I bet there's a connection to be made here. If I can drop back to just a gallon a week and drink more water instead, hell that's over 500 calories a day right there.

I'm just never gonna be able to get into counting every single calorie....I like food too much. But I think the new workout routine I'm doing is much better than the old one. So hopefully by the end of the month I'll finally see some results on the scale.

Drink less percentage of fat - don't drink whole milk - drink 2%

Drink less percentage of fat - don't drink whole milk - drink 2%

I always drink 2%. Always. It's all about what you grew up with. People who grew up drinking skim think everything else is pure cream. Me, I won't touch skim and I avoid whole milk if at all possible. Skim may as well be water, and whole milk is too rich. I'm so used to 2%, I can even tell just by looking when skim is coming out of the dispenser that's labeled 2% (at college dining halls for example.)

I always drink 2%. Always. It's all about what you grew up with. People who grew up drinking skim think everything else is pure cream. Me, I won't touch skim and I avoid whole milk if at all possible. Skim may as well be water, and whole milk is too rich. I'm so used to 2%, I can even tell just by looking when skim is coming out of the dispenser that's labeled 2% (at college dining halls for example.)

Meh, I grew up on 2% and HATED skim when I first tried it - but I got used to it after awhile. If you love your 2% you don't have to give it up though - just do exactly what you are doing and cut back. In general it's best to try to eat all low-fat (not no fat though) dairy.

In general, I avoid drinking my calories when I'm trying to lose weight. I cut way back on my alcohol earlier this year when I was more restrictive but I'm finding it MUCH harder right now in the summer. Ugh. I wish good beer and wine didn't have so many calories.

So basically, I'm really struggling with diet right now. I haven't weighed myself in 2 weeks because I'm scared of what I'll see. :(

I drink skim milk, but honestly I don't feel any difference in how skim milk tastes compared to 1%/2% etc.

I'm just damned glad that I'm finally better. I was sick for about a week not really improving until this weekend and today was the first day I woke up without feeling just obnoxiously nauseated or with headaches or a numbing sore throat. Thankfully I was able to eat for the most part during the time or I would've worried my weight would've really gone done, but I probably only lost about 2-3 consistent pounds to just over 145. So, maybe being sick maybe helped my weight some b/c I want to consistently get down to 145, but I don't want to wose weight like that though.

Tomorrow will start the beginning of finally getting back to plenty of cardio work with weightlifting mixed in, hopefully 4-5 times a week.

To the people who are struggling - are you counting your calories/keeping a food diary? If you want to see some loss - diet is the biggest part - way more than working out. The actually found that people who work out and don't diet don't often lose any weight - they allow themselves to indulge more because they worked out, so the calories cancel out. Plus it's much easier to cut out 500 calories a day than it is to work out for an hour and a half and burn that much. If you are using machines to measure calories burnt - be careful! They ALWAYS overestimate - the best way to see is to get a heart rate monitor.

I would recommend thedailyplate.com When I was more strict I lost much more easilya. Now I'm having a tough go of it because I'm not watching my diet - at least I'm maintaining and not gaining.

Good luck and keep it up - weight loss takes time so don't get too frustrated if you're not seeing results on the scale - invest in a dollar role of measuring tape - inches are a better measure than weight in my opinion.

thanks for the daily plate link, that is a good site! You're right about the food diary, too. My issue is that I eat too little, and my metabolism is wonky, due to a lifetime of dieting. I am trying to retrain myself to eat more often, but still watch what I eat and how much. I lost 83 pounds on WW more than ten years ago, and have kept it off since ... except for the 20 pounds which have crept up on me gradually.

I joined a gym two weeks ago, and hired a trainer. It's pretty clear I can't do this alone, so I got help. I realize that I didn't gain the weight quickly, so I don't expect to lose it quickly. I am pretty sure the weight training (free weights, never have done those before), plus my daily power walks (3+ miles) and my beloved elliptical and not-so-beloved stairmaster, will eventually make a dent in my excess baggage. At any rate, I believe the weight/strength training is good for bone density, right? That's what I read, anyway. Besides losing weight, I just want to be stronger.

Wish me luck!

thanks for the daily plate link, that is a good site! You're right about the food diary, too. My issue is that I eat too little, and my metabolism is wonky, due to a lifetime of dieting. I am trying to retrain myself to eat more often, but still watch what I eat and how much. I lost 83 pounds on WW more than ten years ago, and have kept it off since ... except for the 20 pounds which have crept up on me gradually.

I joined a gym two weeks ago, and hired a trainer. It's pretty clear I can't do this alone, so I got help. I realize that I didn't gain the weight quickly, so I don't expect to lose it quickly. I am pretty sure the weight training (free weights, never have done those before), plus my daily power walks (3+ miles) and my beloved elliptical and not-so-beloved stairmaster, will eventually make a dent in my excess baggage. At any rate, I believe the weight/strength training is good for bone density, right? That's what I read, anyway. Besides losing weight, I just want to be stronger.

Wish me luck!

Weights are good because muscle burns fat. Or something like that.

And free weights generally are better than machine weights. Machine weights develop the target muscle, but free weights also develop all the little surrounding muscles and tendons and that stuff because they're needed to hold the weight steady, rather than it being fixed in place by the machine. The goal of my "new and improved" (and so far, definitely more effective) workout regimen I put myself on is to do more conditioning and endurance stuff, but as a side goal, to use more free weights and more medicine balls instead of machines.

As a side note, I heartily recommend to everyone that one exercise where you sit on the ground, lift your feet off the floor so the only thing touching the ground is your butt, and twist from side to side with a medicine ball, kicking your legs in (when the ball is at your side) and out (when you're bringing it across). I've started doing this and when I'm done, I feel it in my arms, back, abs, and legs all at the same time. Fantastic whole-body exercise. It's helping my balance, too. When I started I was all wobbly, now it's easy to stay up and finish the exercise.

Weights are good because muscle burns fat. Or something like that.

And free weights generally are better than machine weights. Machine weights develop the target muscle, but free weights also develop all the little surrounding muscles and tendons and that stuff because they're needed to hold the weight steady, rather than it being fixed in place by the machine. The goal of my "new and improved" (and so far, definitely more effective) workout regimen I put myself on is to do more conditioning and endurance stuff, but as a side goal, to use more free weights and more medicine balls instead of machines.

As a side note, I heartily recommend to everyone that one exercise where you sit on the ground, lift your feet off the floor so the only thing touching the ground is your butt, and twist from side to side with a medicine ball, kicking your legs in (when the ball is at your side) and out (when you're bringing it across). I've started doing this and when I'm done, I feel it in my arms, back, abs, and legs all at the same time. Fantastic whole-body exercise. It's helping my balance, too. When I started I was all wobbly, now it's easy to stay up and finish the exercise.

I had to read that a few times but I think I understand that exercise - but now that I understand it it's sounds like a good one. :)

It's kind of a myth that muscle burns more than fat. I mean, it does, but most of us can't replace a pound of fat with a pound of muscle very easily - and it's only like 4 calories more that a pound of fat burns or something like that.

Weights are excellent though - my recommendation is to lift HEAVY. As a girl, it's very difficult to "build" muscle - so even if I lift 15 pound weights everyday I will NEVER bulk up like girls are afraid of, I don't have the testosterone. You will see more and faster results if you lift heavy. You'll still see results if you're only using 3 or 5 pound free weights, but it will take longer.

Weights are excellent though - my recommendation is to lift HEAVY. As a girl, it's very difficult to "build" muscle - so even if I lift 15 pound weights everyday I will NEVER bulk up like girls are afraid of, I don't have the testosterone. You will see more and faster results if you lift heavy. You'll still see results if you're only using 3 or 5 pound free weights, but it will take longer.

I much prefer free weights to the machines, although a couple of them (like the seated row and the bar pulldown), I really like.

I agree, also as a girl, I have trouble controlling the heavier weights, but my trainer explained why he hands me 20 pound weights when I would have been more conservative. He says once the muscles learn the pattern, I will have better control over the movements. I hope so!

Yay, me!! I rocked that elliptical machine last night! What a sweatball I was, but it was fun... :hehe:

I much prefer free weights to the machines, although a couple of them (like the seated row and the bar pulldown), I really like.

I agree, also as a girl, I have trouble controlling the heavier weights, but my trainer explained why he hands me 20 pound weights when I would have been more conservative. He says once the muscles learn the pattern, I will have better control over the movements. I hope so!

Yay, me!! I rocked that elliptical machine last night! What a sweatball I was, but it was fun... :hehe:

Good job!!

I'm doing poorly though. I usually weigh-in on Fridays, but I skipped the last 2 because I was afraid of what I'd see. I weighed in today (because I'll be gone tomorrow) and I've gained 3 pounds! UGH! It's all from my diet too - I've still been working out the same but I've REALLY been indulging.

Camping this weekend with heavy drinking and lots of processed foods - so Monday I will reapply myself and get back on track!!

That DailyPlate link looks immensely helpful. Just signed up there and entered my foods for yesterday and today thus far. Yesterday, I went over by about 500 cal, might be a tad more depending on how it compiles dinners out (for example, would Olive Garden's chicken parm listing on there include the pasta that ordinarily comes with the dish?). Today, I'm still about 1,500 cal in the black, but that's because I don't usually eat a damn thing during the day. I know, I know, that's bad...I'm just not usually hungry during the day at all.

My current routine is usually this (and, admittedly, hasn't been this structured for THAT long):

- Wake up and do 5-10 minutes of WiiFit aerobics

- Have a small bowl of cereal (various) with 1% milk

- One travel mug of coffee with fat free half and half and two tsp sugar and at least one 20 oz. bottle of water at work

- Varying degrees of physical activity at work (walking between buildings on campus, moving equipment, desk work)

- Another 5-10 minutes of WiiFit, varies between yoga, aerobics and strength training (occasional and not as often as I'd like, admittedly)

- Dinner

- Sleep (at least three hours after my final meal intake)

I sleep about 6.5 - 7 hours each night, which seems to be my perfect amount (read a study where the whole 8 hours thing isn't necessarily one-size-fits-all). During the regular semester (Fall/Spring), the Nathan's on campus is open and while I rarely eat there, I take advantage of the freebies I get there by drinking lots of Aquafina and perhaps another serving or two of coffee throughout the day. On an average day, I drink at least four 20oz bottles of Aquafina when I can get it.

Right now, my weight seems to hover between 220 - 230lbs and I can't quite get below 220 just yet. My goal is to simply get WiiFit to stop taunting me with "That's obese!". :P