• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Legionnaire11

LGW Fit Club

Rate this topic

Okay, guys. This is it. I just tried on a couple of older pairs of jeans that I had stored away in my closet, and I could barely button the top button. I'm only 21, and I'm quite aware that alcohol has had plenty to do with my 20 lbs of weight gain over the last two years, but I need to get some kind of plan in order to tackle this monster. I'm 5'7, weigh 168 lbs, and two/three years ago, I was at around 150. Does anyone have any pointers here as far as where I can go to make meal planning easier? This is where I really struggle, because I've lived at home my whole life, and I've never really had to do any of my own cooking. Also, if anyone knows what kinds of exercise are more prone to burning fat rather than building muscle or even burning fat rather than helping with cardio, I'd really appreciate a point in the right direction. Thanks in advance, and if this has been exaggerated several times earlier in this thread, I'm sorry, but I don't have the time to search through 22 different pages.

Thanks!

-LDi03

Okay, guys. This is it. I just tried on a couple of older pairs of jeans that I had stored away in my closet, and I could barely button the top button. I'm only 21, and I'm quite aware that alcohol has had plenty to do with my 20 lbs of weight gain over the last two years, but I need to get some kind of plan in order to tackle this monster. I'm 5'7, weigh 168 lbs, and two/three years ago, I was at around 150. Does anyone have any pointers here as far as where I can go to make meal planning easier? This is where I really struggle, because I've lived at home my whole life, and I've never really had to do any of my own cooking. Also, if anyone knows what kinds of exercise are more prone to burning fat rather than building muscle or even burning fat rather than helping with cardio, I'd really appreciate a point in the right direction. Thanks in advance, and if this has been exaggerated several times earlier in this thread, I'm sorry, but I don't have the time to search through 22 different pages.

Thanks!

-LDi03

They say interval training where you sprint then walk, sprint then walk is helpful, but it didn't work for me all that well. When you're exercising, your body uses sugars and carbs and stuff like that for the first 25-30 minutes or so, then runs out of that and switches over to burning fat. Fat isn't as energy efficient as sugar and carbs, so a lot of times you can tell when the switch has been made because you feel like you hit the wall. So I think the best way to burn off fat is to run for about 40-45 minutes at a slowish pace or even longer if you have time for it. I think it's probably even better to run in the late afternoon before dinner or early morning before breakfast when your body has already processed and burned up a lot of whatever sugars and carbs were in the last meal and switches to fat sooner.

Thanks!

-LDi03

For exercise:

Cardio should be your first priority to burn fat, but you will also need to incorporate some kind of strength - if you do all cardio and no strength training you will burn fat AND muscle. In order to keep the muscle you have you should do some form of strength training probably at least 2x per week and I would try to do cardio 4x a week. It would be good to mix in intervals also, as betterred said this incorporates some exercise where your heart rate is 80% of max for a short duration and then 50 or 60% of max for short duration and repeat over and over. If you google HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) you should see some programs. I like the ones that mix it up more - run at 5mph for 1 min, 6 mph for 1 min, 7 mph for 1 min, 8 mph for 1 min, 9 mph for 1 min and repeat. You can easily adjust this up or down depending on your fitness level. Those would be good to mix in maybe 2x per week, but sustained state cardio where you just run at 60 - 70% of max for 20 or more minutes is important too.

For food:

Start by making small changes. Stop drinking pop. Incorporate more fruits and veggies. Buy whole wheat pasta and whole wheat bread instead of regular. Buy low fat dairy instead of full fat. This is a good start and you can also start with easy meal preps - salads are simple to make and give you lots of veggies and you can throw on some chicken for protien. Try to use low fat dressings or just oil and vinegar is best (those spray dressings are great). Sandwiches are easy too - try using mustard instead of mayo. Or WW pasta with a store bought sauce (look for ones with all natural ingredients)

Hope that helps and good luck!

The single best decision I made in my quest to get and stay fit was hiring a personal trainer to teach me how to work with free weights and do strength training. It's money I don't have right now, but the alternative -- doing nothing to help myself -- was far more costly, in ways which don't show in the old bank account.

Besides, the money which goes to him is money I can't spend in the grocery store. :lol:

Another idea, if your job and circumstances permit, is making food ahead of time and carrying your lunch. Not only is it a money-saver, you can control the amount and quality of what you are eating.

Good luck, and come back and tell us how it's going!

Thanks!

-LDi03

In terms of exercise, I'd just do a little bit of cardio - jogging/running, stairmasters, whatever.

In terms of dieting and food, I don't cook. I'm a frozen food/TV dinner junkie. It is definitely not as good as a cooked meal more often than not or going out for dinner, but I've found a few frozen dinners that I like that both taste fairly decent as well as are pretty easy on fat and calorie intake.

Try the Lean Cuisine brands, they usually have decent tasting chicken or pasta, enchiladas, or personal pizzas. The portions are small but fill you up enough to where you are aren't craving more food hours later in the day. I have absolutely gotten addicted to Lean Pockets. Food meshed up in sandwich wraps more/less. 2 wraps in every carton. And most that I have had taste good, and all are under 300 calories. Lean Pockets - Pepporoni Pizza, Garlic Chicken and White Pizza, Cheese Enchilads, and Chicken Fajitas are all very good.

I'd also suggest giving up soda. That was one thing that helped me lose a lot of weight a few years ago. If you're craving sugar and soda, just drink a few glasses of water and it'll eventually quench your thirst. Plus, water can be free. Soda isn't. :cool:

With both the diet/food, be patient with it and don't try to lose 50 pounds overnight. Just try to do a little more each time exercising, and sacraficing a little more/substituting a little bit with your meal.

I haven't had time to work out yet, but i started tracking calories at MyPlate. I was surprised that from yesterday, I could've easily eliminated 800 calories from the two snacks (cookies once, popcorn later) that i had to tie me between meals that day. I've got to start watching the munchies! Hopefully this will help, because I'm a big numbers guy, so if I see exactly what I'm doing numerically, it gives me a better idea of what to target.

thanks guys!

-LDi03

LDi03, how are things going? Check in and let us know.

My newest love-hate relationship is with this:

stairmaster.jpg

Looks innocent, doesn't it? Not. I did 30 minutes on this device from the dark side today. Basically, it's an endless staircase which has no "landings" where you could stop and catch your breath like with a real staircase. You just sweat to death and climb, climb, climb. I climbed the equivalent of 100 floors.

Me = :rip:

Some older gent came over and got on the machine next to me... I showed him how to set up a program and told him to do level 1 and try for 10 minutes -- which is a long time, if you have never done the stepmill. He lasted about three minutes, bless his heart. It only looks like fun. :lol:

Love/hate my stepmill!!! :thumbup::thumbdown:

I'm the guy a lot of people hate. I'm several pounds under my ideal weight. So I have some freedom room. Course I would figure at twenty-two my metabolism should start crashing in a year or two.

If one wants to get in shape, I recommend fourteen weeks of Infantry training at Fort Benning, Georgia. It was fun when I went through it.

PT twice a day does a growing boy good. :cool:

I'm absolutely in love with the Ab Solo. I wish the branch of the health club closest to where I live had it. I don't know how old/new it is, but I used it for a while Friday evening at a different branch I go to every now and then, and I still feel my abs/chest area being sore and tight from using it.

Pretty easy to use. Similar to doing sit-ups obviously, grab a medicine ball that comes with it, go back, then throw it into the machine just before you completely come up.

http://www.absolo.com/index.html

http://www.exercisewebstore.com/Images/_Ab...ages/AbSolo.jpg

I'm absolutely in love with the Ab Solo. I wish the branch of the health club closest to where I live had it. I don't know how old/new it is, but I used it for a while Friday evening at a different branch I go to every now and then, and I still feel my abs/chest area being sore and tight from using it.

Pretty easy to use. Similar to doing sit-ups obviously, grab a medicine ball that comes with it, go back, then throw it into the machine just before you completely come up.

http://www.absolo.com/index.html

http://www.exercisewebstore.com/Images/_Ab...ages/AbSolo.jpg

that's SO cool!! I do the same exercise with my trainer, but this neato setup can be done alone (hence the solo part... duh). If you all have an exercise partner or trainer, you do this situp with a medicine ball by sitting facing one another and then tossing the ball to your partner as you sit up, catch it as you lay down.

We probably won't get one of these absolos, so I will just have to do them the other way, I reckon. :hehe:

LDi03, how are things going? Check in and let us know.

My newest love-hate relationship is with this:

stairmaster.jpg

Looks innocent, doesn't it? Not. I did 30 minutes on this device from the dark side today. Basically, it's an endless staircase which has no "landings" where you could stop and catch your breath like with a real staircase. You just sweat to death and climb, climb, climb. I climbed the equivalent of 100 floors.

Me = :rip:

Some older gent came over and got on the machine next to me... I showed him how to set up a program and told him to do level 1 and try for 10 minutes -- which is a long time, if you have never done the stepmill. He lasted about three minutes, bless his heart. It only looks like fun. :lol:

Love/hate my stepmill!!! :thumbup::thumbdown:

Basically, I used daily plate for three days, then I forgot it for two days. It doesn't help at all that my parents (I live at home) had my aunt and uncle over for the last few days and have had delicious (read: bad for you) food stocking every part of our house. Hopefully, tomorrow after class, I can muster enough energy to go work out for like an hour or so. Since this is my very first time working out in at least...two or three months(?)...does anyone have a good first workout pointer or two?

Thanks!

-LDi03

Basically, I used daily plate for three days, then I forgot it for two days. It doesn't help at all that my parents (I live at home) had my aunt and uncle over for the last few days and have had delicious (read: bad for you) food stocking every part of our house. Hopefully, tomorrow after class, I can muster enough energy to go work out for like an hour or so. Since this is my very first time working out in at least...two or three months(?)...does anyone have a good first workout pointer or two?

Thanks!

-LDi03

Atta boy, jump back in there! I am proud of you for making the commitment.

Take it easy today. Do 20 minutes of cardio (elliptical, bike, treadmill) to get warmed up. Keep the exercises simple, and choose a routine where everything gets a little treatment.

If you work with free weights, do your normal exercises, but put the weight down a notch or two from where you left off. Don't forget abs! My favorite is the back extension bench, for an all over workout that won't kill ya first time back.

Go get 'em, LDi03!!

Thanks!

-LDi03

Start slow. Listen to your body. If you're running and you feel like you're dying, STOP. Walk. You'll do yourself no favors by hitting it too hard the first day. Just be patient because building up endurance takes awhile.

If you're going to start running for exercise, you could google couch to 5k of C25K and there's a really good schedule to follow for building up gradually.

Also, warm up, stretch, work out, cool down, stretch. Be sure you stretch after so you won't be as sore tomorrow. And try to eat a banana today - the potassium helps you not be sore tomorrow too.

Time for another check-in:

Start weight: 125

Start height: 5'2

Goal weight: 115

Date: 6/16/08

7/9/08: 122

8/11/08: 117

Yay! Slightly ahead of schedule and feeling great. I have to be honest, that I jumpstarted the weight loss by going on the South Beach diet to match up with the workout schedule. Worked like a charm. I was never eating that poorly to begin with, but my BF and I decided to do it together. Definitely helps to have a partner when starting a new eating plan. We both love to cook and come up with lots of ways to make meals interesting. Once day one passed, I didn't even miss my bread or pasta. It's amazing when you track what you eat and see where you're loading your bod with empty cals - bread, beer, etc. I don't feel hunger cravings anymore, and the BF claims to have more energy throughout the day and doesn't have that desire to nap. If I could hug this diet, I would.

Bringing back fruits and whole wheat/grain carbs will be nice though, for variety purposes. We'll still be tracking on Daily Plate our intakes - since at the end of the day, the whole thing is calories in vs. calories out. Sticking with cardio and strength training, and I can't wait to hit the goal and flaunt it in Hawaii!

It helps that everyone on this site is very supportive and gives great advice/personal tips from experience. Kudos to you, and to everyone taking on a fitness challenge!

Well, I'm back from about a week's vacation visiting the family in Michigan and thought that I was going to come back having gained some weight due to intake of foods that I wouldn't normally eat (i.e. stuff I can't find in Jersey, etc.).

So after a week of eating at such places as National, Zehnder's (in Frankenmuth), Hungry Howie's, Wok Inn (oh, Almond Boneless Chicken, how I've missed you!), combined with at least some physical activity in the form of bowling and lots of walking in places like Sparks Park/Cascade Falls and Frankenmuth, I stepped onto the Wii Fit scale this morning.

First, it mentioned that the last time it had seen me was 7 days ago (can't Nintendo let me tell this thing that I'm going on vaca so I don't feel guilty? :P). So I hop on...and I've lost 2.6 lbs in the past week. Holy hell. I was expecting at least 2.6 lbs in the OTHER direction.

So, my progress...

Starting weight: 229 (7/17/2008)

Current weight: 214.5 (8/13/2008)

With any luck, I'll actually be approaching 200 lbs before I visit Michigan again around Christmas.

yay, Edi... you da man!! :D

I am kinda stuck at my 12 pound loss plateau for the last three days, but I lost it pretty fast (in two weeks), so I assume if I stick to my program more will come off. 26 pound gain was the result of taking the wrong prescription medicine (nightmare). On new meds, I'm a happy girl again!

I *heart* my little neighborhood gym. I feel like I am doing something right for myself every time I walk in. It's the "Cheers" gym of Austin -- everyone says hi, and we know each others' names. It's nice. Never thought I would like lifting weights, but I do. Maybe it's because I have a good teacher/trainer who won't let me hurt myself by doing too much, too fast.

Brag: I did 100 floors on the stairmill last night. No wonder I can't walk today. Maybe I will do elliptical and row tonight, just for a break.

PS - all that food sounds sooooo good, Edi! I have been so careful with my diet, good thing I like veggies and brown rice and salad, eh? But almond chicken can't be that bad. :hehe: Maybe this weekend, I will splurge. Yum.

edit: spelling

Edited by puckloo39

I don't know if I've ever posted here. I've been really busy with work and kept my head down and haven't been around lately, but I've been trying to get in better shape. Firstly...drinking less pop, because yeah. And making better food decisions, etc.

Also for the last few mornings I've been playing tennis for 30 or so minutes, trying to work up to more...I'm thinking of taking walks at night also. Used to take walks at night, moved to tennis, but I want to do both, but don't always feel like it at night. Lastly, I am thinking of taking dancing lessons, but that won't be till the winter or fall probably when there's not much to do outside.

I'm not even sure if I have actual goals, just want to look better and feel better. I lost quite a bit of weight at the beginning of the year by drinking more water and less pop but I've kind of fallen out of that habit.

I don't know if I've ever posted here. I've been really busy with work and kept my head down and haven't been around lately, but I've been trying to get in better shape. Firstly...drinking less pop, because yeah. And making better food decisions, etc.

Also for the last few mornings I've been playing tennis for 30 or so minutes, trying to work up to more...I'm thinking of taking walks at night also. Used to take walks at night, moved to tennis, but I want to do both, but don't always feel like it at night. Lastly, I am thinking of taking dancing lessons, but that won't be till the winter or fall probably when there's not much to do outside.

I'm not even sure if I have actual goals, just want to look better and feel better. I lost quite a bit of weight at the beginning of the year by drinking more water and less pop but I've kind of fallen out of that habit.

Good job! Less 'pop' more water is always a good plan (hard to do when your company has free coke machines though!). Keep it up, and I say sign up for that dance class before you change your mind!

OK, I'm officially using this thread to call myself out. I've been a lazy bastard the last month. At the gym today after work I'm weighing in and I'm guessing I'm at 208 lbs and my goal is to be in decent shape (190?)come my Bday/Halloween.

So, I'm gonna buy a cheap tape measure and keep track of my progress. Even though I've spent the summer being pudgy, I'll be fit for ski season!!!

Try setting some kind of goal - doesn't have to be a number. Maybe it's to not drink pop for a month. Or maybe one a week. Or maybe you set a workout goal of 60 total minutes of exercise a day. I find that setting myself realistic goals for my fitness help me stay on track and not fall off the proverbial wagon.

Cheers to you!

Try setting some kind of goal - doesn't have to be a number. Maybe it's to not drink pop for a month. Or maybe one a week. Or maybe you set a workout goal of 60 total minutes of exercise a day. I find that setting myself realistic goals for my fitness help me stay on track and not fall off the proverbial wagon.

Cheers to you!

Offsides, I can strongly attest to what zettermaberg is talking about here. I used this mode of thinking more or less when I lost a lot of extra baggage a few years ago.

Simply put, I just wanted to look healthier and lose weight and rarely worried about being "X" pounds at "X" date or have 10 different benchmark goals leading to a final goal of weighing a certain amount or feeling a certain way. I'm not saying thinking like that is bad and the targeted goals certainly help many keep focus and stuff, but that just wasn't my cup of tea. I didn't want to focus on so many objectives that working out and eating and losing weight sounded like a chore or unbearable assignment, I wanted to have fun with it. No formal rules, no charts, no specific or formal diets.

During the few months where I lost a lot, I basically just kept it simple - I was going to really ramp up my intensity on cardio exercising as time permitted with work and personal stuff and how my body reacted, and I just gradually changed my diet habits...no soda and water only, gave up beer and started drinking wine, ate more grilled food/sandwiches/veggies/salads compared to fried food, and so forth.

The water thing worked for me because it is easy to drink and essentially has little or no taste. It doesn't taste bad, it is good for you health wise, so drink more of it. This was a BIG difference.

Another thing that worked was not necessarily giving up food that might have been bad health wise in some form, but find an alternative. For instance, I LOVED fast food and LOVE chicken, and still allowed myself to eat it from time to time, but new if I just ate fried and fast food, it wasn't going to get the job done. So, I put my love for chicken to healthier use and ate it grilled more, or with salads, ate it roasted instead of fried, etc.

Cool jobs to edicius and zettermaberg and puckloo for recent progress. ;):thumbup:

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Well, I'm back from about a week's vacation visiting the family in Michigan and thought that I was going to come back having gained some weight due to intake of foods that I wouldn't normally eat (i.e. stuff I can't find in Jersey, etc.).

Wok Inn (oh, Almond Boneless Chicken, how I've missed you!)

So you were in Clinton Twp?

Alright, so my start weight was 208 a month ago. Now I have been pretty inconsistent at the gym, but I have been eating better and amazingly a good diet is not overrated. Somehow I lost ten pounds this past month.

Start weight: 208 lbs 7/15/08

Current weight: 198 lbs 8/15/08

Target weight : 185-190 lbs

Keep it up people! Watch out for soda(pop, soda pop, coke, whatever you want to call it), it's the devil!