• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Legionnaire11

LGW Fit Club

Rate this topic

I hit the gym every day. I dont really have a workout schedule, I just work what isnt sore at the moment because at least 50% of my body is sore at all times. My problem is the opposite of most yours though, im trying to fill out my frame not lose weight. So far its working, 6lbs of muscle in the first month, and although I have only put 2lbs half way through my second month I am feeling a lot stronger. I wish I would have started this earlier because I am feeling awesome right now.

Edited by cjm502

I managed to do 45 minutes on the elliptical every day last week. Given how this involved getting up far earlier than I normally would have, it's no mean feat. A couple of the days I even managed to scrape up enough energy to do 30 minutes of Dance Dance Revolution after work. I've also changed my diet so as to avoid artificial sweeteners-- I've heard a lot about how they can cause many vague, unpleasant symptoms, all of which I seem to have, so I'm seeing if they're the cause.

BUT, my diet was absolutely horrible last week. Too many fried and fatty foods in too large of portions. I'm really unhappy with myself about it, but I tend to be a comfort eater, so if I think about what I've done I set up a negative feedback cycle that's very hard to break.

I've been one that uses food for comfort and you can break that cycle if you pay close attention to it. That and having good self restraint. Just be very mindful of why you want something, especially if you gravitate towards the same foods for comfort, when you find yourself wanting it think about the reason. If it's not because you are truly hungry, then don't have it.

Great job on working out! Keep up the good work and you'll get yourself in a good place :)

When it comes to eating, it always helps me to remember a little comparison I read one time. Think of you working your body and eating healthy as building a house - you need to use strong materials in order to make it work. If you use crap material (aka bad food), it won't turn out the way you want.

It is really hard for me to be mindful of what I'm eating. I manage to do okay for breakfast (granola bar, banana, and skim milk or green tea) and lunch (a low calorie frozen meal, fruit, maybe a pudding cup or some crackers). It's dinner that gets me. We had a busy week last week and went out to eat more than usual, and even when we were home I didn't eat many vegetables or pay attention to my portion sizes. I am still slightly overwhelmed by the difference between recommended portion sizes and how much people usually eat. When I do eat the smaller portions, I don't actually feel hungry afterwards, but I kind of feel like I should be, if that makes sense. I'm going to pre-plan our meals for this week and that normally does help me, since we'll only have these particular foods in the house.

I do like the house-building analogy. I'll have to remember that one. :)

It is really hard for me to be mindful of what I'm eating. I manage to do okay for breakfast (granola bar, banana, and skim milk or green tea) and lunch (a low calorie frozen meal, fruit, maybe a pudding cup or some crackers). It's dinner that gets me. We had a busy week last week and went out to eat more than usual, and even when we were home I didn't eat many vegetables or pay attention to my portion sizes. I am still slightly overwhelmed by the difference between recommended portion sizes and how much people usually eat. When I do eat the smaller portions, I don't actually feel hungry afterwards, but I kind of feel like I should be, if that makes sense. I'm going to pre-plan our meals for this week and that normally does help me, since we'll only have these particular foods in the house.

I do like the house-building analogy. I'll have to remember that one. :)

Adding protein to your breakfast is a must. Always make sure that your meals consist of a healthy ratio of protein/carbs. I avoid carbs after 7:00 PM, as eating carbs that late can lead to fat build up, meaning that anything I eat after 7:00 is a good protein source and usually some good veggies.

I did a lot better with my eating choices last week. I did either 45 minutes on the elliptical or 30 minutes of Dance Dance Revolution (don't judge me, it's a good workout!) each day, as well as strength training on 3 days and some yoga on 3 days. And I lost 3 pounds! :yowza:

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have some unexpected "help" keeping my food choices good. Apparently I'm allergic to soy. Which is in pretty much every packaged food imaginable. No wonder I've felt lousy all the time for the last few years. The chocolate bar looks a lot less tempting when I know the soy lecithin in it is going to give me nasty stomach pains within a few hours, let me tell you.

I did a lot better with my eating choices last week. I did either 45 minutes on the elliptical or 30 minutes of Dance Dance Revolution (don't judge me, it's a good workout!) each day, as well as strength training on 3 days and some yoga on 3 days. And I lost 3 pounds! :yowza:

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have some unexpected "help" keeping my food choices good. Apparently I'm allergic to soy. Which is in pretty much every packaged food imaginable. No wonder I've felt lousy all the time for the last few years. The chocolate bar looks a lot less tempting when I know the soy lecithin in it is going to give me nasty stomach pains within a few hours, let me tell you.

No one would judge you on your choice of workout, Jenny. I used to do Richard Simmons' tapes years ago. :P But, you know what? If you really threw yourself into those workouts, they were tough!! He isn't famous and rich for nothing - besides maintaining his weight for 30 years.

I have come to the conclusion that soy is bad stuff. Someone told me that the Chinese grow it for animal fodder and think we're crazy for eating it. There has been a lot of money made by those pushing soy-based products for years - selling them as a healthy alternative to other real foods. Whatever floats your boat, I guess, but I avoid soy when possible.

I am feeling a bit pudgy after my week on vacation and too much wine and carbos, neither of which I would normally indulge in. Back on track, I hit the gym Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Did yard work all day today. Thanksgiving isn't an issue for me (over-eating-wise). No plans to do that, or go anywhere I would be tempted.

Good job figuring out what your tummy is sensitive to, Jenny. :thumbup:

Well, I work my ass off (literally, I wish) every day, sometimes 2 hours a day...and I am still fat. Go figure. I don't snicker at fat people trying their best to do better and try to get into shape -- I know how it feels to work hard and have it not show.

Tonight, I did a full workout, upper and lower body, heavy weights/heavy reps, ran sprints and hills for 30 minutes, and cooled down with 30 minutes of inclined treadmill. I sweated like a pig. I am willing to bet it didn't make a dent.

Oh, well...

Aw, Loo. It's such a slow road, isn't it? But you are going down it, and that's the important thing. Your heart and lungs appreciate it, that's for sure. Have you checked with your doctor to make sure you don't have any hormonal issues, like thyroid or PCOS or that kind of thing? I couldn't lose any weight no matter what I did until the doctor and I figured out that I had PCOS, and now that it's under control, the weight is finally starting to come off. Still very slowly, but at least there's progress.

Well, I work my ass off (literally, I wish) every day, sometimes 2 hours a day...and I am still fat. Go figure. I don't snicker at fat people trying their best to do better and try to get into shape -- I know how it feels to work hard and have it not show.

Tonight, I did a full workout, upper and lower body, heavy weights/heavy reps, ran sprints and hills for 30 minutes, and cooled down with 30 minutes of inclined treadmill. I sweated like a pig. I am willing to bet it didn't make a dent.

Oh, well...

I don't think anybody's doing that in here and hopefully nobody does that in anybody's neck of the woods. :huh:

Anyways, a little over a month ago I ran a half marathon. Sure I lost some weight in the process, but well before the marathon, I more/less topped out in consistently losing weight. I actually hit my lowest weight ever in god knows how long recently when I stepped on a scale, but it wasn't anything astronomically lower than what I typically weigh now.

Would I like to drop 5 pounds more? Sure. But I'm not really focused on that. At present I'm probably as fit as I've ever been in my life, I'm well within a healthy weight range, and I typically don't go nuts eating bad on my diet.

I almost always enjoy working out and running. Now it is just focusing on that and taking it as a challenge to stay fit and healthy. Consistently keeping a good attitude and wanting to do the activities day in and day out make a huge difference.

I think 2.5 years of working out six days a week is showing proper attitude and stick-to-it-iveness. It's hard to watch others gloat over progress when I am making none.

I am strong and medical tests are perfect, aside from my weight. I guess you really can be fat and fit? But I would like it if all my efforts actually showed so that people don't assume I am lying when I say how hard I work. I am sick of the skeptical looks and :rolleyes:

So I don't tell anyone anymore. Usually what I get is some story about how they just drink one less beer a night and lose 20 pounds. I don't drink. I don't overeat.

Yes, people judge, Jack. It's a fact of life. I am glad you're not a party to it or a victim of it. Perhaps others here understand what I am trying to say. I will continue to slave away at the gym, as I can only assume I will look even worse if I don't. I enjoy my time there, just wish there was some pay-off. People don't say, "wow, she's strong!" when I walk into a room, but I bet they do judge the way I look.

People judge of course. It's not worth getting down over or caring about. Society/how you look by the general public is always going to be full of s**t and overhyped. If somebody says I'm too skinny or need to be more muscular or whatever else, cool, that's their deal. I know I'm not going into a bodybuilding contest ever in my life. I'm not going to view that as an attack on my psyche or well being physically or mentally or get in a tussle with that person over it. And others progress should not be viewed as an attack on my or others progress/lackthereof.

I define how I want to look and feel. If I want to look like a feather, I'll eventually look like a feather. If I want to stuff myself with fatty acids and weigh 200 pounds, I'll enjoy doing that.

I know I look good or fit, mentally I know my attitude is positive or motivating or happy regardless of my physical condition, that's all that matters. Not judgements or what society might label me. If feeling good means you want to drop 50 pounds and be proud of yourself, drop 50 pounds. If feeling good means you want to enjoy eating what you want or not giving a damn so much about looks and appearnce, stuff yourself silly. It's what you personally want to do, not anybody else.

Well, I will just try to stop caring then. I am really glad you don't have a clue what I am saying, Jack. For real. I am glad.

Apparently. :lol::huh::unsure:

You scoff at not caring, but that's a big part of it.

Care about yourself, take care of yourself as best you can how you want to, and in the end you got no regrets if you did your best.

It isn't worth caring about the opinion or remark of the Average Joe on the street or in the gym that you are never going to converse with or be friends or make contact with for the rest of your life. If a friend or family member or whatever says something snarky about look or appearance, maybe you should consider if they are actually your friend.

Care/take care of yourself first and foremost.