#41 Statts

Statts

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE(Legionnaire11 @ April 5, 2007 - 05:54AM) View Post

Yeah, i want to get back to 180-190. I'm around 220-225 right now. 6'-1"

I was wearing size 34 pants two years ago. now i'm buying 38 with the stretchy waistbands and I still don't button them most of the time. plus i'm always too tired to go out and do stuff like hockey and disc golf.

Damn. I wish i could switch weight with you. tongue.gif I weigh 190 lbs and I am working on being in the 210-220 range.
I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, I'm going to mop the floor with your face.
I said, You'll be sorry.
He said, Oh, yeah? Why?
I said, Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well.
-Emo Philips

#42 zettermaberg

zettermaberg

Come on Fhqwgads!

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:36 PM

If you want to gain weight, try eating more protein, fiber and lifting weights. Building lean muscle will put on pounds the healthy way.

If you want to die of a heart attack at an early age, keep on that fast food diet. Probably the single most unhealthy thing you can do!
“When I was a kid, I wanted to grow up to drink a lot on Christmas and be drunk." - Pavel Datsyuk

Whatever keeps you skating like that, Pavel...

#43 Statts

Statts

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE(zettermaberg @ April 7, 2007 - 04:36PM) View Post

If you want to gain weight, try eating more protein, fiber and lifting weights. Building lean muscle will put on pounds the healthy way.

If you want to die of a heart attack at an early age, keep on that fast food diet. Probably the single most unhealthy thing you can do!

Yeah, thats what im doing. I drink a protien shake every morning, before bed and after my workouts. I also try to eat 500 caleries every 2 hours and for the most part not fast food.

Ive been doing this for about 5-6 months and have gained 30 lbs so far
I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, I'm going to mop the floor with your face.
I said, You'll be sorry.
He said, Oh, yeah? Why?
-Emo Philips

#44 Lidstromrules16

Lidstromrules16

the best thing about life is knowing you put it together- T. Rez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:58 PM

I have always tried to steer clear of protein when working out. Only because I know alot of guys who get over obsessed with that stuff. I guess I would rather save my money than gain muscle quicker tongue.gif

#45 Statts

Statts

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:15 PM

well you need protien to gain muscle. I just find it easier/ faster to down a protien shake than to make a tuna fish sandwich or something else.
I said, You'll be sorry.
He said, Oh, yeah? Why?
-Emo Philips

#46 zettermaberg

zettermaberg

Come on Fhqwgads!

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE(Statts @ April 7, 2007 - 09:15PM) View Post

well you need protien to gain muscle. I just find it easier/ faster to down a protien shake than to make a tuna fish sandwich or something else.

Bingo. Increasing your protein intake does not equate supplement abuse. Protein and fiber are, as I see it, the most key things you can have in your diet whether you're trying to gain or lose weight. It keeps you fuller longer - thereby decreasing the urge to snack. And it keeps your energy up - encouraging you to work out and build that lean muscle mass! It's so easy to pack in - snack on almonds, keep a few hardboiled eggs in the fridge, stock up on string cheese, get chicken on your salad (dressing on the side!).

Yay for protein!
“When I was a kid, I wanted to grow up to drink a lot on Christmas and be drunk." - Pavel Datsyuk

#47 Legionnaire11

Legionnaire11

Simpsonized!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 05:09 PM

Update #1

Starting Weight: 222
Last Weigh-in: 222
Current Weight: 219
Target Weight: 190
Target Date: 6/29/07 (day that I leave for my wedding 6/30!!)

Been drinking a lot more water and eating a lot more fruit. I haven't really started too much exercise yet, but it's coming. I'd post new pics, but 3 pounds isn't much difference.

Edited by Legionnaire11, 08 April 2007 - 05:09 PM.

IPB Image
"The people at first were saying, 'Why is there a team in Nashville?' But when you come here and you see the fans and the excitement, my question would be, "Why would there not be a team in Nashville?" - Yanic Perreault, January 18, 2006

#48 Chase

Chase

jesus on skates

• Bronze Booster
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:08 PM

Wanna hear something crazy? I'm about 6', and since I graduated high school in 2004 I weighed 130lbs (yes, 1-3-0). Just the other month I jumped on the scale (dont do it to often) and I weighed in at 140lbs!! Happiest day of my life!! Haha.

Yeah Im skinny, and tall. I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and never put on weight. Which is great and all, but I should hit the gym and try to pack on a few pounds. And change my diet a bit. So I dont blow away in the wind.

This thread has gaven me some insight and inspiration lol. Good luck to Legionnaire!
---StevieY Fan---

#49 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:06 AM

I got the impression that Legionnaire11 started this thread with the serious intent that people who wanted to lose weight/get in shape could find something of a support group to keep each other motivatived and a place to swap ideas.

If you'd like to have a discussion about topics such as how you're too skinny, weight gain via cannibalism, the pros and cons of different beer, the McDonalds diet, or basically any of nonsense that has been the last 20 posts or so that I deleted, please take it to PM.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#50 glasgowcelticwing

glasgowcelticwing

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ April 9, 2007 - 02:06PM) View Post

I got the impression that Legionnaire11 started this thread with the serious intent that people who wanted to lose weight/get in shape could find something of a support group to keep each other motivatived and a place to swap ideas.

If you'd like to have a discussion about topics such as how you're too skinny, weight gain via cannibalism, the pros and cons of different beer, the McDonalds diet, or basic any of nonsense that has been the last 10 posts or so, please take it to PM.

Sorry bud, blush.gif
I know this topic was started to help people loose weight, we got carried away having a laugh.Anyways i've added my own posts at the beginning on how i've lost alot of weight.

P.S. Keep up the good work Legionnaire11. thumbup.gif
^^Thanks Offsides^^
RIP PHIL O'DONNELL,1972-2007.
RIP TOMMY BURNS, 1956-2008 .
you'll never walk alone.

#51 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:47 AM

Here's some tips for everyone that I've picked up from my sister (a personal trainer) and the trainer I've worked with at the gym.

-Do a mix of cardio and weights. Weight lifting helps burn fat faster, I think it helps increase your metabolism.

-Instead of 3 big meals, eat smaller meals more often. When you just eat breakfast lunch and dinner, your tend to eat more and your body stores the extra calories as fat, since it doesn't know when it's going to get fed next. By spacing out smaller meals, you keep your metabolism up, and you eat smaller portions since you're not as hungry.

-Don't do the same excercises every day. I alternate between weights and cardio each day, and take a day off. This gives your muscles a chance to recover and rebuild.

-Drink lots of water. Pop and alcohol are just empty calories.

Find someone to work out with. It's a lot easier to keep at it if you have someone else to motivate you.

That's about all I have for now, I thought I knew more, maybe I'll remember more later.

#52 Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey

Draftee

• 5 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:37 PM

Well, from my experience I can say this. When I was in college. I tipped the scales at 335Lbs... I am 6'1.. I worked out, but not the proper way. It was lift as much as possible. Needless to say not healthy. I was that big for a reason, but there is no reason good enough to be that unhealthy. I then went through some stuff and decided that one thing I can control is my weight.. I decided to really do things right. I didn't diet. I just ate better. I only eat chicken and fish. Along with salads with low to non fat dressing, veggies and rice.. I work out 7 days a week. 6 days with weights 7 days of cardio.. I do 40-60 minutes of cardio using an elliptical trainer... I am now a healthy 190lbs.. No diet, no surgery, just got smarter. But, the only thing that matters is that you will only lose weight if YOU want to. NOBODY or NOTHING can make you do it!!

I wish you all well in your endeavor..

#53 Lou_Siffer

Lou_Siffer

1 more win and im diggin' in!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ April 9, 2007 - 11:47AM) View Post

-Don't do the same excercises every day. I alternate between weights and cardio each day, and take a day off. This gives your muscles a chance to recover and rebuild.

Also, dont follow this famous newbie workout:

Day 1 - Bench press and biceps curl
Day2- off
Day 3- Bench press and biceps curl
Day 4 - off
Day 5- you guessed it...Bench press and biceps curl!

Aaron Downey tally = 4 Wins (Mclaren, PARROS, *Laperriere*, Wisniewski) - 1 L (**Boll**) - 5 Draws (Walker, Fedoruk, Davison, Shelley, O'Donnell)

(* = beatdown) (** = at the end of a shift)

Preseason prediction - Anaheim over Philadelphia in 6 (ok, well i'll settle for one right...)

#54 Lidstromrules16

Lidstromrules16

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:58 PM

insert horrible Arnold Schwartzeneggar *sp* accent:

if you call that workout, you must be girly man

#55 Legionnaire11

Legionnaire11

Simpsonized!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:37 AM

just wanted to bump this. i'm really starting to settle into this diet now after a week. A lot more water for me, I've only had 2 cokes all week. And a lot more fruits and vegetables. I haven't ate anything greasy, supplemented my hunger with saltines (switching to rice cakes though).

Anyone else seriously dieting?
IPB Image
"The people at first were saying, 'Why is there a team in Nashville?' But when you come here and you see the fans and the excitement, my question would be, "Why would there not be a team in Nashville?" - Yanic Perreault, January 18, 2006

#56 BlueMonk

BlueMonk

Cleaner

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:09 AM

There's some good advice in here. Here's some more.

For dieting, a good balance of protein, high quality fats and high quality carbs will do you the most good. Not just over the course of a day, but at each meal as much as possible. There's no one perfect diet, and people disagree on what works best. But most agree that a balance of good carbs, good fats and quality protein are important.

Good carbs are especially veggies and whole grains. Fruits can be good, too, although even they have a lot of sugar in them, so you don't want to eat too much of them. Choose wheat bread over white, choose brown rice over white.

Lean protein sources are lean meats like chicken breast, turkey breast, fish and lean cuts of beef or even pork. Also, lowfat cottage cheese, skim milk or protein supplements.

Good sources of fat (unsaturated fat) are things like olive oil, nuts and fatty fish like salmon and tuna. You don't want to eliminate fats from your diet completely. It's not good for you, and it will leave you feeling hungry all the time. Don't go for the whole zero fat grams thing. At the same time, fats exist naturally in many foods, such as even lean cuts of meat, so it's not like you have to go out of your way to add them to your meals.

Don't be afraid to exercise. Not just cardio, but strength training. Add some muscle, and you'll burn more calories even when you rest.

If you do strength train, don't neglect legs! Too many beginners just work their "t-shirt muscles," like arms and chest. Squats, deadlifts, stiff-legged deadlifts and lunges are great exercises that build large muscle groups. There are all sorts of benefits to this kind of training, including stronger support muscles that will help you avoid injury doing normal daily things like picking up a heavy box or moving a piece of furniture, etc. One thing though, if you haven't done weight lifting before, you should make sure you learn how to properly do it, so as not to injure yourself. A lesson with a personal trainer is the best way.

And above all else (IMO), don't be afraid to give yourself a "cheat day" every now and then. Every week or two, just eat the food you want and don't worry about it. One day of cheating won't undo all the other efforts you've made. Plus, it boosts your BMI (basal metabolic rate), which is a good thing to help you continue making progress in your dieting.

Keep on keepin' on, Legionnaire!
"Just charge me with the usual." -Bob Probert

#57 zettermaberg

zettermaberg

Come on Fhqwgads!

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:24 AM

Great post, BlueMonk. It's hard for me to remember good carbs like whole grains - I'm a reformed South Beach dieter. I get lots of fruits and I eat oatmeal, but things like wheat breads and brown rice still scare me off.

I've finally broken my plateau weight (the weight I always seem to hit but can never break). Sitting at 119 right now. Four pounds to go!

The thing that's really helped me is taking in more protein. I don't have the urge to snack, or that classic 3PM fall-out that leaves many of my coworkers running for the vending machine. I keep fresh veggies in the fridge and a jar of peanuts at my desk, just in case.

Oh, and a secret? Chewing gum! Good mental trick to keep from "bored" snacking.... and incidentally, quitting smoking if anyone is trying that too!

#58 Lidstromrules16

Lidstromrules16

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:00 PM

I think if you havent exercised in a while, once you start back up you will probably notice yourelf losing weight quicker at first. Howevever once you get into a routine, the weight will come off at a slower rate. Dont let the dieting and exercise be just about losing weight. Make it about being healthy. Even if your weight doesnt change drastically so quickly, you are still getting healthy. Make it a lifestyle, not a temporary routine to lose the weight and then forget about being healthy. Plus I find if you drink water, you will feel alot better about yourself, however I am sure you already noticed that.

It sounds like your doing great so far man. Keep in mind though, its a process. Dont go absolutely crazy, and exercise until you cannot move. Work yourself into a routine gradually.

For myself, I should definently pick up running again. I used to run 2 miles a day for 6 days of the week. Lately, I have run about 2 miles 5 days of 3 weeks. Lacrosse was a big goal for me and kept me motivated, but since I quit, I have kinda lost the drive. I should probably get back into it.

#59 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:14 PM

Great post there, BM.

#60 redwingsfan19

redwingsfan19

redwingsfan19

• PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:06 PM

If you'd like to have a discussion about topics such as how you're too skinny, weight gain via cannibalism, the pros and cons of different beer, the McDonalds diet, or basic any of nonsense that has been the last 10 posts or so, please take it to PM.

I am trying to get in shape just in a different way. I didn't mean to cause any trouble, just having a littile fun. I hope you get to your goal Legionnaire11, good lucky buddy. thumbup.gif

Legionnaire, Legionnaire he's are man, if he can't do it nobody can banana.gif carrot.gif

"Yeah, I'm cocky and I am arrogant. But that doesn't mean I'm not a nice person." - Jeremy Roenick

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)