• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Legionnaire11

LGW Fit Club

Rate this topic

I for sure would like to lose some weight, but I've just found it to be very difficult to workout.

I'm 20 and a sophomore in college (oh, and a chick by the way). I've had 9 knee surgeries and have had chronic knee pain since 2003. I'm not allowed to even walk for exercise that's how sucky my knee is. So cardio is out. I do PT exercises, ab stuff, and upper body. My biggest problem is that I just need to eat healthy and I bet that'd help a lot.

Before my knee problems got really bad, I was 5'5" and weighed 115 as a sophomore in high school were I was 6th in the region for 100m dash for my division. I worked out every day for fun. Last spring before my 2nd ACL surgery, I got up to 140. I'm down to 128 right now and ideally would like to hit 120.

I just need to start eating healthy. Hopefully this thread will help keep me motivated!

Christy

I'm sorry to hear about your knee problem's :( , I've had alot of leg injuries myself and it sucks bigtime . It's really hard to get into any sort of exercise routine when you can't walk never mind run. As I posted earlier in this topic i've lost a hell of alot of weight but it's been hard doing so, I broke my foot when I was out running a couple of year's ago . :blush: and I damaged my legs at work this time last year when I got pinned against a wall by a works van in the yard . :angry: one thing I'm happy about tho is that with all my upper body exercising I never loose at arm wrestling. :sly::P

I didn't want to make another thread because this is kinda similar, but the opposite. *Hope that's okay with you, Legion*

I've been losing weight for no apparent reason and it's kinda freaking me out. Ever since last July *after going to the ER due to panic attacks* I lost a lot of weight. I was around 125 then, and am down to 115 now. Everyone keeps telling me. "Omg, you're losing weight, what happened?" and bla bla bla and it REALLY bothers me. Here's the thing though. I am not one to eat a lot. I'll have like two meals a day and that's about it. I have anxiety attacks every so often, and also have acid reflux. *don't know if that plays a part in any of this or not* I've been to the doctors a bunch of times, and got blood tests for everything back in November and December and everything came out normal. I really don't know what my problem could be? Is it because im not consuming the proper amount of calories everyday?

Another thing is..when I weigh myself it changes EVERYDAY! Yesterday I was 115, today I'm 112. Then at night it's about 114 and in the morning around 113. It makes no sense. Don't get me wrong..im happy that my body is nice and lean but I don't like the fact that im losing weight without doing anything. It scares me.

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

I didn't want to make another thread because this is kinda similar, but the opposite.

I've been losing weight for no apparent reason and it's kinda freaking me out. Ever since last July *after going to the ER due to panic attacks* I lost a lot of weight. I was around 125 then, and am down to 115 now. Everyone keeps telling me. "Omg, you're losing weight, what happened?" and bla bla bla and it REALLY bothers me. Here's the thing though. I am not one to eat a lot. I'll have like two meals a day and that's about it. I have anxiety attacks every so often, and also have acid reflux. *don't know if that plays a part in any of this or not* I've been to the doctors a bunch of times, and got blood tests for everything back in November and December and everything came out normal. I really don't know what my problem could be? Is it because im not consuming the proper amount of calories everyday?

Another thing is..when I weigh myself it changes EVERYDAY! Yesterday I was 115, today I'm 112. Then at night it's about 114 and in the morning around 113. It makes no sense. Don't get me wrong..im happy that my body is nice and lean but I don't like the fact that im losing weight without doing anything. It scares me.

Your weight flucuates throughout the day... Weighing youself before bed and then when you wake up will always yield different results. TO get the most accurate reading you need to choose one time of day and always read at that time.

Perhaps you have an overactive thyroid... that could contribute to the weight loss. on a lighter note (no pun intended.. I think) during the playoffs your heart is constantly beating fast and you burn calories that way ;)

Edited by OsGOD

I didn't want to make another thread because this is kinda similar, but the opposite.

Don't worry about your weight fluctuating all the time , depending upon activites and diet your weight changes all the time. In the mornings I usually weigh about 142lbs and at night depending on what i've been eating and doing i've seen myself weigh in at as much as 147lbs. As for the loosing the extra weight I'm actually the same just now, everybody keeps commenting on how I am so skinny and i've lost too much weight but since i've lost weight I haven't changed my diet to loose any more weight. I don't really understand that one myself. ;)

Your weight flucuates throughout the day... Weighing youself before bed and then when you wake up will always yield different results. TO get the most accurate reading you need to choose one time of day and always read at that time.

Perhaps you have an overactive thyroid... that could contribute to the weight loss. on a lighter note (no pun intended.. I think) during the playoffs your heart is constantly beating fast and you burn calories that way ;)

Weight fluctuates that much during the day?

I got a TSH blood test done on me in November, and my thyroid levels came out normal.

Hahaha you have NO idea how fast my heart rate goes up during the playoffs. It's quite sad, really. It's in the 120's thats for sure.

Don't worry about your weight fluctuating all the time , depending upon activites and diet your weight changes all the time. In the mornings I usually weigh about 142lbs and at night depending on what i've been eating and doing i've seen myself weigh in at as much as 147lbs. As for the loosing the extra weight I'm actually the same just now, everybody keeps commenting on how I am so skinny and i've lost too much weight but since i've lost weight I haven't changed my diet to loose any more weight. I don't really understand that one myself. ;)

Thanks buddy.

Yeah same here..I mean you'd think with people saying you look skinny that it'd be a good thing, but not when you aren't doing anything to earn it like in my case. lol

I just get TOO paranoid thinking something is wrong. And in return being that way makes me lose my appetite because I get all anxious and scared. Ay yi yi.

Weight fluctuates that much during the day?

I got a TSH blood test done on me in November, and my thyroid levels came out normal.

Hahaha you have NO idea how fast my heart rate goes up during the playoffs. It's quite sad, really. It's in the 120's thats for sure.

Thanks buddy.

Yeah same here..I mean you'd think with people saying you look skinny that it'd be a good thing, but not when you aren't doing anything to earn it like in my case. lol

I just get TOO paranoid thinking something is wrong. And in return being that way makes me lose my appetite because I get all anxious and scared. Ay yi yi.

Oddly enough I just got a personal trainer (a week ago today and have had three sessions so far in addition to my dancing).

Always take your weight at the SAME time every day.. Your weight fluctuates 5-6lbs throughout the day so checking it three or four times, you won't get an accurate weight. He and I just talked about this in my session today because I did the same thing. I weighed myself in the morning a week ago then on Monday during the evening and I was 6lbs heavier. I asked him why and he told me that your weight fluctuates 5 to 6 lbs at any given time during the day.

Oddly enough I just got a personal trainer (a week ago today and have had three sessions so far in addition to my dancing).

Always take your weight at the SAME time every day.. Your weight fluctuates 5-6lbs throughout the day so checking it three or four times, you won't get an accurate weight. He and I just talked about this in my session today because I did the same thing. I weighed myself in the morning a week ago then on Monday during the evening and I was 6lbs heavier. I asked him why and he told me that your weight fluctuates 5 to 6 lbs at any given time during the day.

Wow 5-6 pounds is a lot! No wonder why it changes every so often. I guess I scare myself for no reason. I mean obviously I lost weight since last summer. *I KNOW a lot of that was because of being in the hospital, not eating, and having the flu* I am absolutely horrible when it comes to eating when im sick. I absolutely won't eat anything and then I lose a lot of weight. Last week around night time I weighed myself and I was 117. I got all excited! Then in the morning I was down to about 113..and then I got scared. klsjgjsgs It's good to know this now though. Thanks.

I still think though that I need to be on a certain diet to eat right and just stay where Im at right now.

When do you think is the best time to weigh yourself? *I have that cool machine that tells you your weight, body fat % and water in your body* my fat % is always the same so thats why im confused as to why it's sooooo back and forth with my weight.

Wow 5-6 pounds is a lot! No wonder why it changes every so often. I guess I scare myself for no reason. I mean obviously I lost weight since last summer. *I KNOW a lot of that was because of being in the hospital, not eating, and having the flu* I am absolutely horrible when it comes to eating when im sick. I absolutely won't eat anything and then I lose a lot of weight. Last week around night time I weighed myself and I was 117. I got all excited! Then in the morning I was down to about 113..and then I got scared. klsjgjsgs It's good to know this now though. Thanks.

I still think though that I need to be on a certain diet to eat right and just stay where Im at right now.

When do you think is the best time to weigh yourself? *I have that cool machine that tells you your weight, body fat % and water in your body* my fat % is always the same so thats why im confused as to why it's sooooo back and forth with my weight.

Yeah and if you are looking to weigh more... Weigh yourself when you get up BEFORE you pee ;) Or if you are like me, so Pee and then weigh yourself ;)

Yeah and if you are looking to weigh more... Weigh yourself when you get up BEFORE you pee ;) Or if you are like me, so Pee and then weigh yourself ;)

The thing is how do you know what your *accurate* weight is? If it fluctuates so many times during the day how do you know what to go by or that if you are losing weight or gaining because of the time of day OR if it's because of other dietary reasons and such.

The thing is how do you know what your *accurate* weight is? If it fluctuates so many times during the day how do you know what to go by or that if you are losing weight or gaining because of the time of day OR if it's because of other dietary reasons and such.

You could always just average out the highest and the lowest weight. So if you're high for the day is 117, and your low 113, you actually weigh 115!! I dont know how accurate that is but it seems pretty logical!

no problems HC, it's not all about losing weight, just being healthy in general!

the way the Wings (and preds :() series has been going, there probably needs to be a mental health thread too!

Amen!

I'll have like two meals a day and that's about it.

You're not one of those people who skips breakfast every day, are you? That's a great way to lose weight the unhealthy way. Eat those three meals a day - if you gotta skip one, skip lunch or make lunch your lightest meal.

And if you're worried about not weighing enough, check your body fat, heart rate, blood pressure, etc. If your doctor says those are fine, then your weight really is secondary. When it comes down to it, body weight is only a symptom.

You're not one of those people who skips breakfast every day, are you? That's a great way to lose weight the unhealthy way. Eat those three meals a day - if you gotta skip one, skip lunch or make lunch your lightest meal.

And if you're worried about not weighing enough, check your body fat, heart rate, blood pressure, etc. If your doctor says those are fine, then your weight really is secondary. When it comes down to it, body weight is only a symptom.

I actually do skip breakfast a lot.. either that or when I wake up *around 12 or 1pm* depending on when I sleep I'll just eat something little then to hold me until dinner time.

My body fat is perfect for my age, height..etc.. blood pressure is always good, and my HR is always in the 80's to mid 90's depending if im anxious or not.

I guess I should start eating a big breakfast from now on and see what happens. I just HATE breakfast because I always wake up with my stomach hurting due to my acid reflux so I take zantac and then an hour later after it feels better I eat something.

I for sure would like to lose some weight, but I've just found it to be very difficult to workout.

I'm 20 and a sophomore in college (oh, and a chick by the way). I've had 9 knee surgeries and have had chronic knee pain since 2003. I'm not allowed to even walk for exercise that's how sucky my knee is. So cardio is out. I do PT exercises, ab stuff, and upper body. My biggest problem is that I just need to eat healthy and I bet that'd help a lot.

Before my knee problems got really bad, I was 5'5" and weighed 115 as a sophomore in high school were I was 6th in the region for 100m dash for my division. I worked out every day for fun. Last spring before my 2nd ACL surgery, I got up to 140. I'm down to 128 right now and ideally would like to hit 120.

I just need to start eating healthy. Hopefully this thread will help keep me motivated!

Christy

9 surgeries? Ouch. I can relate to the knee problems.

I blew my ACL and MCL out playing basketball back in college, had surgery on it about 3 years ago. In pick up ball over my 5 years there, I broke my foot, sprained my ankle, and tore my ACL/MCL, all in one leg. Needless to say, I'm retired from basketball and should probably just cut my left leg off. I miss playing it though, it was a blast to play. :lol:

Anyways, the ACL/MCL injury was obviously the worst of the three and it still gives me problems today. It doesn't inhibit me from doing any exercise or anything like that, but if somebody runs into me or a bump knees with somebody else, I wouldn't be surprised if it goes out again. If I have an intense workout or go for a spinning class, I usually end up limping for a while until my knee gets some feeling back. I really can't do much in the way of fast runs/sprints anymore. I can jog for long stretches though without problems as long as I don't go too fast.

It's all about having the mental discipline to do things in spite of your body. I can't imagine how difficult it can be to exercise though after 9 surgeries!

You're actually better off eating 5-6 small meals a day, since it keeps your metabolism going.

But yes, don't skip breakfast, that's bad.

The best time to weight yourself is first thing in the morning. :thumbup: That's your natural weight after you've had a good night's sleep and you've basically burned off all the exess weight from the food you've eaten.

The best time to weight yourself is first thing in the morning. :thumbup: That's your natural weight after you've had a good night's sleep and you've basically burned off all the exess weight from the food you've eaten.

Thanks buddy. Last night I weighed myself and I was 115 *compared to the 112 in the morning. Today in the morning I was 114...and then 112 AFTER I went to the bathroom. I am lost but it's all good.

I am eating some oatmeal and some fruit right now so WOOT!

Legion, how's it going with your diet?

HC,

Barring anything out of the ordinary (and with all the tests you've had, you can rest easy that it's not), it's just a matter of calories in vs. calories out. Dieting pretty much just boils down to that. It's a pain in the butt, but if you really want to adjust your weight, it's hard to beat writing down everything you eat each day, and figuring out how many calories you're consuming daily. You might be surprised how much that fluctuates. When you're busy and stressed, you may eat much less (or much more).

The rule of thumb is this: For every 3,500 calories you eat, that's about a pound of body weight. Say you write down what you're eating (and pay attention to serving sizes, they can be deceptively big or small sometimes!) and find you eat 2,000 kcals/day on average. To stay at the weight you're at, you'd continue to eat that much. Basically, you're body is burning the same number of calories you're eating (caloric balance). To gain a pound a week, you'd add 500 kcals to your diet each day, which would mean 2,500 calories. To lose a pound a week, you'd subtract 500 kcals/day, or 1,500 per day. The other factor is exercise. If you burn more calories, you can lose weight that way. You could add an exercise that burns 200 calories each day, subtract 300 calories from your daily intake, and achieve the same thing.

You shouldn't try to lose or gain weight much faster than 1 pound per week. Especially when you're trying to lose weight, you can easily push your body into catabolism, where you're burning muscle rather than fat, if you try to do it too fast. What you eat matters, too, especially when it comes to whether the weight you're gaining or losing is muscle or fat. But in terms of your total body weight, it's pretty much down to how much you eat.

Today in the morning I was 114...and then 112 AFTER I went to the bathroom.

That musta been a huge log girl! :yowza:

Legion, how's it going with your diet?

maintaining a steady pace. I'll update tomorrow night, it should be close to the 3lbs i've been dropping each week, but it might be 2, might be 4. hopefully 4 because i've done exercise this week! :clap:

Thanks buddy. Last night I weighed myself and I was 115 *compared to the 112 in the morning. Today in the morning I was 114...and then 112 AFTER I went to the bathroom. I am lost but it's all good.

Yeah, body poop normally means extra weight. :P

I usually skip breakfast...I'll just drink coffee or a Mountain Dew to wake me up. If I eat a little for breakfast, it gets me hungrier for lunch and the couple hours before lunch can be uncomfortable.

I eat a pretty good sized lunch and I avoid senseless snacking between meals for the most part. If I don't eat a substantial dinner, I'll eat little things here and there.

What I heard is that it is better to not eat a big dinner or snack before you go to sleep because you can't burn off those calories as easy as during the day. My biggest meal on most days is lunch.

By the way...I'm holding steady at around 200, give or take a pound. My biggest concern isn't losing weight...it's to not pack more on. Staying the way I am is okay for now.

That happens to me alot too. My weight has been going on and off my entire life. I really don't think it is a reason to be concerned. Make sure you eat breakfast that makes a big difference. Try counting your calories for a while to nake sure you are getting the proper amount.