• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Legionnaire11

LGW Fit Club

Rate this topic

Hank- I think everyone has "been there, done that" with the whole bench press/biceps curl only weight routine! Unfortunately it took a shoulder injury for me to realize that wasnt the way to go.

Ive gained a couple pounds over the weekend, but I dont know, I think the 50 pizza rolls i ate for dinner yesterday MIGHT have something to do with it.

That's still awesome progress BRTD. I wouldn't worry about 1 pound that much, especially in a two-week time frame. Everybody's physique is different, but my weight fluctuates anywhere +/- 5-7 pounds throughout a day.

These past few weeks have been nuts for me in terms of managing the workouts/fit level. The week before July started, I was dealing with a bunch of personal stuff trying to get my former car back into shape to be sold, so I was dealing with both cosmetic and performace repairs that took almost that whole week up. I was on vacation for most of 4th of July week, and while I got some workouts/runs in, it's vacation...And the week after that/last week I had to put most of my efforts into finishing up my research on cars and buying a new car, which I thankfully got done late last week, but I only worked out once.

My weight didn't get affected all that much the past few weeks, still hovering around the low 150s. My dieting was inconsistent, some good days of grill food/salads/pasta, then vacation and a few infrequent bad meals here and there.

All is settled now though and I am back in a routine again where I intend to get back to working out just about every early morning during the week and kick cardio work into overdrive during the weekends when I have a little more time. Hopefully I can eat good with just a little more discipline and be close to mid-140s by the end of next month.

This is just 3-4 days from my last blurb, but what I am doing seems to be paying off.

I was able to do lengthy early morning workouts Monday - Wednesday with a large emphasis on cardio work, and some weightlifting of the upper body. I've pretty much run 3 miles every morning at as fast a pace I can take to kill as many calories as I can, and doing sit-ups and other stretching and resting in a sauna room to relax the muscles.

And my dieting these past few days consisted of very little fried food, pretty much the main meal was some form of pasta, grilled food/sandwich (vs. fried/greasy), or some kind of salad/wrap.

It's paid off so far, as I put myself on a scale and weighed in at 148.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Hank- I think everyone has "been there, done that" with the whole bench press/biceps curl only weight routine! Unfortunately it took a shoulder injury for me to realize that wasnt the way to go.

Ive gained a couple pounds over the weekend, but I dont know, I think the 50 pizza rolls i ate for dinner yesterday MIGHT have something to do with it.

LOL!

My diet hasn't been the strictest the last few weeks (or even months). I've noticed that I've put on some very unwanted pounds and it has to do with eating too much fast food.

My wife and I have a couple of young boys and on some nights we're both too tired to make a real dinner.

But I've been trying to stop a lot of it lately. If I can eat only 2 fast food meals a week I'd be happy.

I'm on day 4 of Atkins, again. It seems to be working pretty well. Hopefully I'll be able to shed the weight I regained since I last dropped off pretty soon (within a month or two). I really miss bread and pasta and such, but I know I can do it. I need to drop around 30 lbs (at least I did when I started. I haven't weighed myself yet)

My main problem is when I finally lose all the weight, and get off the diet, I gorge on everything i couldn't have when I was on.

I'm on day 4 of Atkins, again. It seems to be working pretty well. Hopefully I'll be able to shed the weight I regained since I last dropped off pretty soon (within a month or two). I really miss bread and pasta and such, but I know I can do it. I need to drop around 30 lbs (at least I did when I started. I haven't weighed myself yet)

My main problem is when I finally lose all the weight, and get off the diet, I gorge on everything i couldn't have when I was on.

I'm no expert but make sure you watch it on the Atkins. I don't trust diets that tell you "Don't eat fruit but have all the bacon and cheese you can handle!".

I noticed a big difference in weight loss when I went to eating 6 small meals a day that were high in protein, low in carbs and featured both a peice of fruit and cup of veggies. I lost 12 pounds in 4 weeks just from doing this and my regular workouts.

One thing ive always wondered about Atkins and other low carb diets is your energy level. If you're getting so few carbs, wouldnt your energy be really low?

Edited by Lou_Siffer

One thing ive always wondered about Atkins and other low carb diets is your energy level. If you're getting so few carbs, wouldnt your energy be really low?

The idea behind Atkins and other low carb diets is that your body will burn fat instead of carbs for energy.

Really, most fad diets are just that, a fad. The time tested method to lose weight and get in shape is pretty simple. Eat right and exercise.

The idea behind Atkins and other low carb diets is that your body will burn fat instead of carbs for energy.

Really, most fad diets are just that, a fad. The time tasted method to lose weight and get in shape is pretty simple. Eat right and exercise.

Oh, ok...i guess that makes sense. But still, it would seem you'd get less energy from fat than carbs,...but i have no idea. Honestly i think most of these diets are done by people as a way around exercising. People are just too damn lazy!

Oh, ok...i guess that makes sense. But still, it would seem you'd get less energy from fat than carbs,...but i have no idea. Honestly i think most of these diets are done by people as a way around exercising. People are just too damn lazy!

You do get less energy from fat....the body prefers sugars and carbs as a source of energy, it's more efficient. It's why we were taught to "carb up" the night before a swim meet in high school....eat a big spaghetti dinner or a lot of rice or something, and then bring (believe it or not) pretzels or a candy bar as a pre-meet or pre-race snack. If I had to swim the 500 (longest distance race for high schoolers) munching pretzels on the bus all the way up to about 20 minutes before the actual race really did make all the difference in those late laps.

I don't really buy into the Atkins diet unless you've got a LOT of extra fat to burn. Then you'll notice a difference from it. But some people swear by it for life, and they don't need to. Out here in Asia, you get rice and/or noodles with EVERY meal, and you just don't see fat people either. If you're dozens of pounds overweight, the Atkins or South Beach or whatever is probably a good way to get rid of some of that fat, but if you're only about 20-25 pounds over, I think doing cardio and adding muscle to burn the fat would be a better way to go.

Really, most fad diets are just that, a fad. The time tested method to lose weight and get in shape is pretty simple. Eat right and exercise.

Which is precisely why I didn't go on any formal diet plan when I lost about 35 pounds a few years ago in a matter of about 4 months. I already knew I was mentally strong enough to exercise almost every day, I rarely need motivation to exercise, it was just a matter of doing things a little different with my diet, and they were my own choices, no books/charts or nothing. Just very little beer during the time, very little fried food, and much more pasta, salad, grilled food vs. fried, etc. I always gave myself an infrequent reward though to eat fried food, because those cravings just don't go away and you don't shed all that weight overnight, it takes time.

I'm doing the same thing now in terms of just trying to shed around 5-10 pounds. Minus last night when I ate some cheese fries, I don't think I've even touched fried food all week, and I've either run hard or did spinning class every day this week so far other than Thursday. Thankfully my mental discipline hasn't gone away in terms of exercising, and it's getting better again on the food portion as well.

Guest REDWINGS4LYFE

BRTD don't hit the treadmill so hard! you wanna keep your pulse rate between 90-125! that is the area with optium weight loss buddy. the stairmaster is wicked for weight loss. drink plenty of water you might see your weight go up thats only water weight. water helps you burn more calories, and it will keep you more full.

BRTD don't hit the treadmill so hard! you wanna keep your pulse rate between 90-125! that is the area with optium weight loss buddy. the stairmaster is wicked for weight loss. drink plenty of water you might see your weight go up thats only water weight. water helps you burn more calories, and it will keep you more full.

I have no idea what my pulse rate is when I run....the treadmill doesn't have the sensors, and I don't bother trying to count. But, I'm not only trying to lose weight, I'm trying to boost my cardio so that I can run faster for longer. If I can do that, I won't have hands on knees on the basketball court after 10 lousy minutes, and I'll be able to burn more calories in the long run by going farther in the same amount of time.

Guest REDWINGS4LYFE

im geting fat and i cant work out i can only use the dieting factor

Well, the new wife and I are doing great. We're selling our current townhome and getting plenty of activity cleaning and fixing things up. not formal exercise, but it's better than sitting on the couch watching TV.

we're about to make an offer on 2 acres, and if I get it, I plan on doing a lot of clearing of brush and trees on my own. That should be some good work for the body. Plus then i'll have 2 acres to walk and run around with some privacy. I'll also be building a 2 car garage myself.

Bingo. Increasing your protein intake does not equate supplement abuse. Protein and fiber are, as I see it, the most key things you can have in your diet whether you're trying to gain or lose weight. It keeps you fuller longer - thereby decreasing the urge to snack. And it keeps your energy up - encouraging you to work out and build that lean muscle mass! It's so easy to pack in - snack on almonds, keep a few hardboiled eggs in the fridge, stock up on string cheese, get chicken on your salad (dressing on the side!).

Yay for protein!

try to use eggwhites (you can buy them at the store) or egg beaters, you need to steer clear of the egg yolks, they do carry some cholesterol in them, which everyone should avoid. They do sell 96% fat free beef (it is more expensive yes) and baking / grilling your beef / chicken / fish is much more healthy than frying. (White Turkey breast is good, the dark Turkey meat has more fat) Laying off of bread and rice will help your waist line, if you do eat something like a Subway sub, dont include cheese. Salads are good, but the salad dressings can be loaded up with fat grams and or sodium. Mexican food is a no-no, potatoes are a no-no, and in Chinese buffet food, MSG ( a preservative thats used in Chinese food) is a no no also. I do use Pico de Gallo in my eggs, and I use my George F grill to cook some of my food. Try laying off of soda pop, and drinking more water. (8 - 8oz glasses of water per day is what a dietician will recommend) Hydroxycut and other diet pills, dont waste your money, they are not the answer. Cocaine, well I never used that, but I would recommend not using that to lose weight :P

I'm doing really good right now in terms of the fit/weight. Last night was the first time I touched any form of fried food in a week, and I've worked out and done a good bit of running/cardio every day since Sunday I think, minus Thursday, and I'm down to about 147, 148 pounds. By the end of this month I want to consistently get as close to 145 as possible.

Personally, I'm really getting tired of how fried food tastes. Not so much that I should say. Fried food usually tastes good, but I finally 'get' that it's bad for me, and there's enough other types of food that I'm sinking my teeth in now more consistently that are better for you health wise that I enjoy (i.e. salads, grilled chicken, chicken salad, grilled sandwiches, pasta, etc.).

I've all but given up eating hamburgers at a lot of beef, I'm close to doing that on the fried food side, and I don't eat pizza all that much anymore. S**t, I'm becoming a vegetarian almost! :scared::yowza:

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

I was at my grandmom's house yesterday since she has just gotten out of rehab

Legion's grandma is back on the wagon!!! :lol:

try to use eggwhites (you can buy them at the store) or egg beaters, you need to steer clear of the egg yolks, they do carry some cholesterol in them, which everyone should avoid.

A little science on eggs and cholesterol:

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20060506/food.asp

They do sell 96% fat free beef (it is more expensive yes) and baking / grilling your beef / chicken / fish is much more healthy than frying. (White Turkey breast is good, the dark Turkey meat has more fat) Laying off of bread and rice will help your waist line, if you do eat something like a Subway sub, dont include cheese. Salads are good, but the salad dressings can be loaded up with fat grams and or sodium. Mexican food is a no-no

Eating fat free beef is not necessary...a better option would be smaller portions of beef and eating chicken or pork instead sometimes.

potatoes are a no-no

Potatoes are perfectly healthy assuming your intake is not solely McDonald's...

and in Chinese buffet food, MSG ( a preservative thats used in Chinese food) is a no no also. I do use Pico de Gallo in my eggs, and I use my George F grill to cook some of my food. Try laying off of soda pop, and drinking more water. (8 - 8oz glasses of water per day is what a dietician will recommend) Hydroxycut and other diet pills, dont waste your money, they are not the answer. Cocaine, well I never used that, but I would recommend not using that to lose weight :P

Ultimately, the best diet plan works as follows:

Eat healthy foods in moderation. This doesn't mean eat a salad for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It means eat a variety of things and have a COMPLETE diet. On top of that, exercise is a must. If you don't have time to go to the gym, just do things you can do in everday life. Take the stairs instead of the elevator, or go jogging.

People..people.. the Atkins diet is garbage. It'll make you lose weight, but the second you're off the diet all the weight will come back and then some! I've read up on this several times, plus my sister and Mom used to this and I'd just sit back and laugh because I warned them and they wouldn't listen.

Anywho, I remember awhile back I was complaining that I was losing weight and for no reason. I believe I was 112 at the time. I realized I wasn't eating much. Maybe like 2 meals a day at the most? Yeah I'd think that would have a lot to do with it. Plus, I rarely eat breakfast. Anyways, the past few months have been good for me. I'm at 118 right now and feeling good about it. That's where I'd like to stay so WOOT for me. lol

Good job to all of you that are shedding off the pounds!

BRTD don't hit the treadmill so hard! you wanna keep your pulse rate between 90-125!

Not true. It depends on how hard he's been working out. Whether he's beginner, average, or high fitness.

Target heart rates can be between anywhere from 100-180 bpm. It all depends on what you're doing, and how hard you're training.

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

Anywho, I remember awhile back I was complaining that I was losing weight and for no reason. I believe I was 112 at the time. I realized I wasn't eating much. Maybe like 2 meals a day at the most? Yeah I'd think that would have a lot to do with it. Plus, I rarely eat breakfast. Anyways, the past few months have been good for me. I'm at 118 right now and feeling good about it. That's where I'd like to stay so WOOT for me. lol

I don't care how skinny or fat somebody might be, skipping breakfast is a no-no.

Also, what's helped me recently is I'm paying attention to my calorie intake of food a lot more. Big key to slimming down is if you are able to burn off the calories after eating a big breakfast or lunch, for example, and then some more. Everyday day for either lunch or dinner, it's usually light, probably no more than a meal with 300 calories or so, so I'm usually able to burn most/all of that off my next workout by running a few miles really quick.

I don't care how skinny or fat somebody might be, skipping breakfast is a no-no.

I know, I know.

I had a big breakfast today! The thing is everytime I eat breakfast I feel disgustingly full and just really eww. It hurts my stomach big time whenever I eat in the morning. And then it makes me not want to eat the rest of the day.