• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ilmickeyli

Cameras at the Joe?

Rate this topic

Hi guys (this is my first thread here so don't hurt me :D )

Does anyone know what is/isn't allowed in the Joe camera wise? I have some great seats for a playoff game and would love to take pictures.. I'm just not sure what is allowed inside the joe, if anything.

Does it vary by lens size or what?

Thanks!!!

Hi guys (this is my first thread here so don't hurt me :D )

Does anyone know what is/isn't allowed in the Joe camera wise? I have some great seats for a playoff game and would love to take pictures.. I'm just not sure what is allowed inside the joe, if anything.

Does it vary by lens size or what?

Thanks!!!

http://www.olympiaentertainment.com/venues...a.jsp?dispPos=7

Edited by Brett Hull

CAMERAS with lenses under 80MM are allowed into Joe Louis Arena on game and event days. NO video recorders or flash photography is allowed. Cameras with detachable lenses that extend over 54MM are prohibited.
I think it's worth commenting on the rather confusing wording on the OlyEnt web site linked to above. The signs leading into The Joe only mention the 80mm (focal length) limit. Last season the signs read "54mm", but were changed for this year. This restriction, as is the case at most venues, is to help cut down on people taking pro quality images at games and then selling unlicensed "boot-leg" player photos. In reading the "54mm" portion of the policy above, as relating to only to detachable lenses, I assume this represents the physical length of the lens (not the focal length, as printed on the lens) and is aimed at keeping out potential thrown projectiles. There's logical reason to differeniate between a "fixed" 70mm lens and one that's used on an SLR.

The bottom line, from my practical experience, if your lens is under 80mm focal length, you're good to go.

Edited by Gizmo

I think it's worth commenting on the rather confusing wording on the OlyEnt web site linked to above. The signs leading into The Joe only mention the 80mm (focal length) limit. Last season the signs read "54mm", but were changed for this year. This restriction, as is the case at most venues, is to help cut down on people taking pro quality images at games and then selling unlicensed "boot-leg" player photos. In reading the "54mm" portion of the policy above, as relating to only to detachable lenses, I assume this represents the physical length of the lens (not the focal length, as printed on the lens) and is aimed at keeping out potential thrown projectiles. There's logical reason to differeniate between a "fixed" 70mm lens and one that's used on an SLR.

The bottom line, from my practical experience, if your lens is under 80mm focal length, you're good to go.

I dunno...I have a pretty old (circa 1989) automatic 35mm camera with a 60mm zoom lens and I used to get hassled almost every time I took it to the Joe because it was 6mm over the lens limit. After making my case - "come on, it's obviously not a professional camera and it's only 6mm over. Plus I've brought it in before. And I promise I won't use the flash" - they'd let me in. Only once did I have to hand it over to the security desk and pick it up at the end of the game.

OTOH, I have a digital camera with a 10X optical zoom - which brings me a lot closer to the action than the 60mm lens on my 35mm camera can and takes almost professional-looking pictures - and I have had no problems bringing it in AT ALL.