• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
elitepuckster

Interesting about the standings

Rate this topic

If we didnt have the shootout this year, the standings would be totally different:

Detroit (current) 49W 19L 13OTL = 111 pts

(old way) 47W 24L 10T = 104 pts

Buffalo (current) 52W 21L 7OTL = 111 pts

(old way) 42W 24L 14T = 98 pts

Nashville (current) 50W 23L 8OTS = 108 pts

(old way) 46W 24L 11T = 103 pts

Anaheim (current) 47W 20L 13OTL = 107 pts

(old way) 43W 24L 13T = 99 pts

New Jersey (current) 49W 24L 8OTL = 106 pts

(old way) 39W 25L 17T = 95 pts

I think the shootout makes a huge difference in the overall standings and i'm not too sure if it is in a positive way. Should we have a round of breakaways deciding who is tops in the NHL. I like the excitement and all of the shootout and I think it is great for the fans, but I don't like how it has such an effect in the overall points. The best team in the league shouldn't be decided by who has the best shootout stars and that seems to be exactly what is happening. Look at the Wings. They suck in the shootout, but they are still tied with Buffalo, who was awesome in the shootout, in today's standings. If it were the old way, Detroit would be involved in a hell of a race with Nashville for the division, conference and presidents trophy.

Just a fun fact!

Elite!

The way the standings are determined right now is ridiculous.

I don't mind seeing shootouts, but you should not get a point, at any time in a game, whenever you lose.

3 points for a win in regulation time

2 points for a win in overtime

1 point for a win in a shootout

0 points for a loss, no ifs/ands/buts

Either do it that way or get rid of shootouts alltogether and go to W-L-T where wins are worth 2 points, ties are worth 1 point, a loss is worth 0.

I hate shootouts, regardless of how the Wings do in them. It's a piss-poor way to decide the winner of a game in a professional league. It's the equivalent of the NBA going to a slam-dunk contest to decide the outcome of ties or baseball going to a home run derby if the game is tied after nine innings.

I'm also not a fan of the 3-points-for-a-win idea. Why not just stick with two points? Two points for a win, one point for a tie and no points for a loss, regardless of whether you lose in regulation or OT. I just hate the idea of getting a point for losing. IMO, you lose, you shouldn't get a point. Period.

But here's an idea - instead of the shootout, have a 10-minute 4-on-4 OT in the regular season. It wouldn't take any longer to play than a 5-minute OT + a shootout, and with 10 minutes you're more likely to have a winner than in a 5-minute OT. If the game still ends up in a tie, then it ends in a tie. I never saw the problem with ties anyway.

If we didnt have the shootout this year, the standings would be totally different:

Detroit (current) 49W 19L 13OTL = 111 pts

(old way) 47W 24L 10T = 104 pts

Buffalo (current) 52W 21L 7OTL = 111 pts

(old way) 42W 24L 14T = 98 pts

Nashville (current) 50W 23L 8OTS = 108 pts

(old way) 46W 24L 11T = 103 pts

Anaheim (current) 47W 20L 13OTL = 107 pts

(old way) 43W 24L 13T = 99 pts

New Jersey (current) 49W 24L 8OTL = 106 pts

(old way) 39W 25L 17T = 95 pts

I think the shootout makes a huge difference in the overall standings and i'm not too sure if it is in a positive way. Should we have a round of breakaways deciding who is tops in the NHL. I like the excitement and all of the shootout and I think it is great for the fans, but I don't like how it has such an effect in the overall points. The best team in the league shouldn't be decided by who has the best shootout stars and that seems to be exactly what is happening. Look at the Wings. They suck in the shootout, but they are still tied with Buffalo, who was awesome in the shootout, in today's standings. If it were the old way, Detroit would be involved in a hell of a race with Nashville for the division, conference and presidents trophy.

Just a fun fact!

Elite!

TSN had an article about this not too long ago. It actually wouldn't have changed teh standings that much. I like the shootout. But I think they should change to point scheme to make it more worthwhile to win in regulation or OT, to promote more offence during OT.

Guest LivingtheDream

even with the shootout, the top team in the league will end up with either 52 or 53 wins

WE GOT 62 in 95/96!!!

Bring back Fedorov

And what did those 62 wins get us? Let us not forget.

I don't mind seeing shootouts, but you should not get a point, at any time in a game, whenever you lose.

Either do it that way or get rid of shootouts alltogether and go to W-L-T where wins are worth 2 points, ties are worth 1 point, a loss is worth 0.

Outstanding idea! :clap:

The consensus on this board is that everyone wants to do away with the shootout. However everyone on this board is a die hard hockey fan. Unfortunately there aren't enough of you die hard hockey fans out there or else our hockey games wouldnt be on OLN for crying out loud.

What im trying to say is the average guy(non hockey fan) enjoys shootouts. I go to college at Western Michigan and barely anyone watches hockey, which is sad because this is supposed to be "hockeytown." But whenever a shootout comes on everyone seems to get excited and gather around the TV.

So in my opinion shootouts are a necessary evil because it is one of the only things inn hockey average guys(non hockey fans) like about hockey.

I agree about no points for a loss. That would probably further infuriate the opposition group against shootouts, but who cares.

I persoanlly favor a simple 2 points for a win and 0 for a loss. Also, I'm not a huge fan of shootouts, but I prefer them to a tie.

What I'd really like to see is the adoption of a OT system similar to college football. After 5 minutes, give each time a PP. If they each score, go again. If neither score, go again. I'd try three rounds of this, before settling on a sudden-death shootout (home team goes first).

It'll never happen, but it's more rational than a shootout, but still gives you a winner.

Guest Tunbo Batman

well yes, its obvious that the SO was a bad idea. it artificially evens the playing field (even more so thatn the 1pt-for-ot-loss) because it allows teams to play for the draw, and it creates a system where more wins are awarded than deserved. this year, there will be 1600 "Wins" in 1230 games, does this look serious to you? was it so hard to go 10 minutes 4-on-4?

If you wanna destroy any SO supporter, just say "They should use SOs in the playoffs too then" and they will simply self-destruct by saying "No, no you can't do that, it's not an equitable way, its just a TV and noob gimmick" and you'll go "Thats my opinion too" :P

I don't know if a shootout is the best answer, but personally, I find it a whole LOT better than a tie.

Perhaps go with the playoff style OT - play until someone wins. That's an awful tough sell on a Tuesday night when the kids need to get home to sleep. (Doesn't affect 85% of the peeps at the Joe since they leave at the 5 minute remaining mark of the 3rd anyway)

I just can't stand sitting on the edge of my seat for 65 minutes of hockey and then.. blah, let's go home, no one won tonight. B.S.

Edited by FireCaptain

Good point about it being a tough sell on a Tuesday night when the kids have to get up the next morning, but what does basketball do. If they had too, they would play all night. They dont play for the fans, they play for a win. I have seen triple overtimes in basketball and if people dont want to wait to see who the winner is, they can find out in the morning or listen to the ending on the radio. Its all about choice.

For me to pay the money and watch my team completely outplay the other team, and yet the other team ties the game at the end of regulation because of a fluke goal and for the game to be decided by a shootout really sucks. I hope the NHL takes this year and reviews it and decides to come up with another idea. Hockey really is an exciting sport and shootouts are exciting, in the minor leagues, but not in the pros. I would go with a 10 min overtime. Overtime hockey is the most exciting anyway. This is a great idea.

Elite!

Edited by elitepuckster

3 points for a win in regulation is a great idea. It gives the teams more incentive to win in regulation, rather than holding out for OT.

3,2,1 is the system I would vote for. 3 for a win in Regulation. 2 for OT/shootout win, and 1 point for getting to OT.

I never liked a tie, I really feel there should be some resolve to the game. Nothing like watching your time fight its way back from a 3 goal hole, only to leave the game in a tie... that's an empty feeling.

Shootouts are exciting, it brings attention to our game that we all love. As much as I am not a fan of letting it come down to a skills competition, alot of people like it, and I think it's better than a tie or endless OT.

Edited by BadAndy

lol didnt want to start a new thread ... but if calgary wins the next 2 games they will have a 100 pts ... im guessing that would be the first time in nhl history that all the teams from a conference that are going to playoffs have 100 pts and more??? am i right?

Guest octopusdank

I hate shootouts, regardless of how the Wings do in them. It's a piss-poor way to decide the winner of a game in a professional league. It's the equivalent of the NBA going to a slam-dunk contest to decide the outcome of ties or baseball going to a home run derby if the game is tied after nine innings.

I'm also not a fan of the 3-points-for-a-win idea. Why not just stick with two points? Two points for a win, one point for a tie and no points for a loss, regardless of whether you lose in regulation or OT. I just hate the idea of getting a point for losing. IMO, you lose, you shouldn't get a point. Period.

But here's an idea - instead of the shootout, have a 10-minute 4-on-4 OT in the regular season. It wouldn't take any longer to play than a 5-minute OT + a shootout, and with 10 minutes you're more likely to have a winner than in a 5-minute OT. If the game still ends up in a tie, then it ends in a tie. I never saw the problem with ties anyway.

i applaud this approach and agree with it 100%, shootouts are lame. does the shootout rule still go for the playoffs after one 5 minute OT?

I also agree with those who believe that points shouldn't be awarded for losing. Being rewarded for losing will never make sense to me, I guess. But here is how this season would have looked without OT points. I'm predicting a Nashville win tonight. :D If Nashville lost tonight, then the tiebreaker would go to Detroit because of the 6-2 series win.

BUFFALO 53-28 (106 points)

NASHVILLE 51-31 (102 points)

DETROIT 50-32 (100 points)

The consensus on this board is that everyone wants to do away with the shootout. However everyone on this board is a die hard hockey fan. Unfortunately there aren't enough of you die hard hockey fans out there or else our hockey games wouldnt be on OLN for crying out loud.

What im trying to say is the average guy(non hockey fan) enjoys shootouts. I go to college at Western Michigan and barely anyone watches hockey, which is sad because this is supposed to be "hockeytown." But whenever a shootout comes on everyone seems to get excited and gather around the TV.

So in my opinion shootouts are a necessary evil because it is one of the only things inn hockey average guys(non hockey fans) like about hockey.

i consider myself a diehard fan. i love to watch hockey, college, pro, whatever. i think the shootouts are a great idea, if for no other reason than it brings more casual fans to hockey. also, the players obviously like it. if they didn't you woulldn't see the celebrations after a shootout win that you do. if you get rid of the shootouts, you go back to having ties. that would make hockey the only north american sport with ties. bad idea. and yes i know, ties are possible in football, but how oftern does that happen? that's right almost never.