• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Datsyuk Signs 7-year, $46.9M Contract Extension

Rate this topic

do you think the finishing touches on signing datsyuk have anything to do with bertuzzi's absence last night?

No I don't think that had anything to do with it. Bert will be fine. If he doesn't play in the Season finale it'll just be as a precaution. He'll be ready for Game 1.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Is Dats closer to Thornton (6.667m) or Briere/Savard/Gomez (5m). I am going to say the latter.
Someone will offer Briere upwards of 6 on the open market this summer...count on that, Briere will cash in. Datsyuk is a better all around center than Savard without question...try watching Savard and dont just focus on his numbers. Defensively he's a horror show. My point is you cant compare Briere and Datsyuk because both will make 6 or more after this summer.

I'm not too happy about signing Datsyuk prior to the playoffs, but most of all I hope Holland didn't go overboard here. Datsyuk hasn't shown that he's anything else than a $5 M/year player. Even if Datsyuk decides to show up in this years playoffs, his market value would not increase dramatically (relatively speaking). I expect that Holland managed to get a discount for signing him prior to the playoffs. No more than $22 M/4 years. More than that would look quite ridiculous in my opinion.

Someone will offer Briere upwards of 6 on the open market this summer...count on that, Briere will cash in. Datsyuk is a better all around center than Savard without question...try watching Savard and dont just focus on his numbers. Defensively he's a horror show. My point is you cant compare Briere and Datsyuk because both will make 6 or more after this summer.

Savard has consistently outperformed Dats offensively the past few years. This is the first season Dats has been noticeably better than Savard defensively, Even with Dats' huge season this year as plus minus goes, his career per-game average is still very close to Savard's, close enough to be offset by the teams they played on.

I think Dats should end up with about 5.5m for four years.

I'm not too happy about signing Datsyuk prior to the playoffs, but most of all I hope Holland didn't go overboard here. Datsyuk hasn't shown that he's anything else than a $5 M/year player.
So Datsyuk hasnt shown you he's any better than Tanguay or Savard (who make 5 and 5+ respectively)? With all due respect, without Datsyuk this team doesnt sniff a division title, period. You can make a strong argument that he's turned into the best defensive forward on the team as well. If Datsyuk get's 6, i'm fine.

:lol: I think that's just a dig at the station up the dial than some little web site.

Oh, I know bro, but still funny as hell. :P

So Datsyuk hasnt shown you he's any better than Tanguay or Savard (who make 5 and 5+ respectively)? With all due respect, without Datsyuk this team doesnt sniff a division title, period. You can make a strong argument that he's turned into the best defensive forward on the team as well. If Datsyuk get's 6, i'm fine.

As long as Draper and Zetterberg are on the team, you really can't.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Savard, Tanguay, Nylander, Langkow, Horcoff, McDonald, Arnott, Briere, Koivu, Gomez, Sedin, Reinprecht, Jokinen, Handzus, York are all first-line centers near Dats' age who make less than that.

Modano, Cammalleri, Weight, Crosby, Holik, Staal, Spezza, Sutherby are those guys out of his age range that make less than 5.5m

Fedorov, Sakic, Sundin, Yashin are guys outside of his age range who make more than 5.5m

Lecavalier and Thornton are only ones in Dats' age range making more than 5.5m.

Is Dats closer to Thornton (6.667m) or Briere/Savard/Gomez (5m). I am going to say the latter.

[/font]

Just because you play on the first line, it doesn't mean you're a 1st line center calibre player.

Edit: To clarify. The Rangers would get a 1st line center (aka Gomez) if they could. Nylander compliments Jagr well, but they'd still seek to solidify that position.

All elite centres will get their payday (in the cases of Modano Sundin etc already had theirs) once opportinuty arises. Couple a rising cap with a demand that's larger than the supply (not 30 elite centres around), and the cheques will keep coming. Briere will get more than 5M, if he wants.

Edited by GuloGulo

this is good news ........all those stupid rumors about him going to play with his "best friend" ovechkin can be put to rest , without seeing how pavel does in the playoffs before doing the deal i cant see holland giving 6 + million per season , and im pretty sure pavel did the deal as well cause he knows if he tanks in the playoffs again he might not get as much in the off season , i just hope he performs and we dont regret it , i think he's signed to between 5 to 5.5 million per season , if it means we take less of a hit on the cap annually by giving him an extra season on his deal id give him a 5 yr 25 million deal

can't wait to hear the numbers .......anyone know anywhere online where i can see or hear the press conference ???

The contract is 5-Years, no salary mentioned yet.

DETROIT -- The Wings have signed center Pavel Datysuk to a five-year contract extension.

Datsyuk was set to become a free agent at the end of the season. There had been national reports that he was interested in signing with Pittsburgh or Washington.

The Wings planned to formally announce the signing at a news conference this afternoon.

Datsyuk, a 28-year-old from Russia, leads the Wings in scoring with 87 points. He has 27 goals and 60 assists and is a plus-37.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...PDATE/704060452

As long as Draper and Zetterberg are on the team, you really can't.

Are Draper and Zetterberg really better defensively....it's certainly debatable. Datsyuk has basically played Zetterberg's role since Hank went down and been just as strong on both ends of the ice. Datsyuk has been above average defensively for 2 or 3 years now and only recently has he received praise for his two-way work.

While Dats has done a considerably better job this season on defense than last, Hank has him beat.
Both get it done in different ways, both are dogged in their puck pusruit and back-checking. IMO both are equally as effective. Edited by RedRum #1

As indicated by my original post, half a mill isn't the entire world, but I don't think Datsyuk has done anything to warrant $6 M a year. I don't think he is significantly better than Tanguay or Savard. I'm not interested in the division title. What interests me is that a top player that produces in the playoffs.