• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Datsyuk Signs 7-year, $46.9M Contract Extension

Rate this topic

Figured this was an interesting time to bump this. Some of the comments are hilarious...

I checked through my own posts to see how much crow I had to eat. :lol:

honestly everything I said was true at the time, but reading this thread it's like we're not even talking about the same player we have now! Will he perform in the playoffs? will he get better defensively? To read me saying things like he's not as good as Z or Draper defensively sounds hilarious now. But at the time it was true. It'd still give Z the slight edge overall, but Datsyuk is light years ahead of Drapes at this point. And 7 years seemed so long at the time for a Wings contract, but now I see how many teams are doing because under this cap you've got to try and lock guys up.

Dats is on a crazy hot streak right now, but even if he cools off, just based on his performance last season he's already a bargain.

Holland 1

Harold 0

:P

I hate it how people have to bring back posts from a million years ago just because some guy in some post stated something which later turned out to be false.

Couldn't this thread just as easily have been brought back after the '07 playoffs?

I hate it how people have to bring back posts from a million years ago just because some guy in some post stated something which later turned out to be false.

Couldn't this thread just as easily have been brought back after the '07 playoffs?

True. It's all in how you want to pick your spots and how much people want to rub someone's face in it.

We could just as easily dig up threads where people are bitching about Osgood's return, how much he sucks and whatnot, not realizing he would bail out the Wings and backstop them to the Cup last season.

Alot of you guys are pretty darn sure the salary cap is going up next year. Boys and girls, its very possible it stays the same or goes down slightly. The cap has a lot to do with the economy and right now its not at its best.

Look at the posting dates. It's a mighty bump.

I think it's great pulling these out of moth balls. See where everybody's head was at. See how far off the deep end they jump. See posts from folks that have been banned because they can't stay sane. There's a lot of comedic value in thread revival, if you ask me. Sure, somebody could use them to hate, but I don't think that's why this one was revived.

Horses***. This is what we do here. Rub it in!

Cicada, RyanBarnes and akustyk (read below) can suck a lemon... though I don't think any of us could have envisioned just how dominant Datsyuk would become.

He is simply amazing to watch now, and he actually has me doubting whether or not Kenny should take a stab at Hossa and Mule vice Z... and I say that only if the rumor about 10 years at 75 million is true, because I'd rather have Z than Hossa straight-up.

"fu* bulls*

they sign him prior to the playoffs for a very long term and for huge bucks...

my respect to Holland just dropped a lot. not a very smart move IMHO. if you're looking for another Yashin-story here it is, with quite a likelihood "

Actually, the rumor now is that Datsyuk is sitting out because he feels his contract should be re-negotiated. He wants his deal to now be 10 years, 75 million per year with a 15 million dollar signing bonus, and a signed Fedorov jersey thrown in.

Horses***. This is what we do here. Rub it in!

Cicada, RyanBarnes and akustyk (read below) can suck a lemon... though I don't think any of us could have envisioned just how dominant Datsyuk would become.

He is simply amazing to watch now, and he actually has me doubting whether or not Kenny should take a stab at Hossa and Mule vice Z... and I say that only if the rumor about 10 years at 75 million is true, because I'd rather have Z than Hossa straight-up.

"fu* bulls*

they sign him prior to the playoffs for a very long term and for huge bucks...

my respect to Holland just dropped a lot. not a very smart move IMHO. if you're looking for another Yashin-story here it is, with quite a likelihood "

Never thought I'd see you post this. I seem to remember a certain thread from last year's playoffs that you might not want to see brought back. :P

Hey, who knows, maybe in 5 years Kopecky will become a power forward who fights heavies and wins all of his fights by KO. Then there will be plenty of threads that we can go back and laugh at from these last few months. :D

Couldn't agree more. Next will have some idiot bring up some thread from two years ago about Franzen. "ZOMG every1 thawt the Franzen waz just a 4thLINER!!! HAHAHALOLLLDFODFOZZZLOL!!! U Guyz were SO wrong!!! eeeeee!!!!11!!!"

Seriously. Apples and Oranges. Datsyuk wasn't as good offensively, defensively, physically, or dominant. And Robert Lang was the leading scorer when we added him.

Actually, the rumor now is that Datsyuk is sitting out because he feels his contract should be re-negotiated. He wants his deal to now be 10 years, 75 million per year with a 15 million dollar signing bonus, and a signed Fedorov jersey thrown in.

I even heard he's asked the trainers to re-label all his equipment "Sam Jones" and he's been seen hanging around teen tennis tournaments with a big bag of candy.

At this point it appears that blasting the deal is the quick knee-jerk reaction when you see the numbers involved in it.

But, looking at the bigger picture I think it's solid deal. As Terry Foster (I think) pointed out, it's very likely the "dark days" of the NHL could very well be behind us... The cap is going up again and that makes the ceiling for the max-contract higher and higher... It's not out of the realm of possibility that max contract will, again, top $10M two or three years down the road.

So, just 2-3 years in the contract the potential is there for the Wings to have a 100pt. player for just over HALF the max-contract amount.

If the Wings signed him to a shorter deal, say 2-3 years, and he performs as expected you're looking at a $10M contract or he walks. He can't even re-negotiate his deal if he feels he's "underpaid" -- the new CBA doesn't even allow it.

Datsyuk, his agent and the Red Wings know the bed they've made with this contract and all parties were content enough to sleep in it. (In a non-sleazy way, of course.)

The playoffs *are* a factor -- but I don't think for a second that because Datsyuk has his contract he'll go through the motions. There's a stigma attached to his playoff performance, and while I think the heavy bashing on him for last season (he was hurt, after all) is unwarranted, he has been underwhelming. The injury derailed his attempt to bust that stigma and, if I'm a betting man, I think he'll do just fine in the postseason this year.

I think this deal plays well to how the club will approach Zetterberg in two years, too. The Wings got a fantastic deal on his contract two years ago, and it has freed up money (in terms of value) on the cap.

I would expect a leapfrog in two years, where Zetterberg (if the cap rises) makes around $8M/year (theoreticall speaking) and it makes it possible because -- again, in terms of value -- Datsyuk would be *underpaid* with his long-term contract.

FWIW, no crow eating here. ;) Although I didn't post it in this thread back in the day (I have in others since), I'm still sticking to my Hank-will-get-$7.3/yr prediction.

Never thought I'd see you post this. I seem to remember a certain thread from last year's playoffs that you might not want to see brought back. :P

Hey, who knows, maybe in 5 years Kopecky will become a power forward who fights heavies and wins all of his fights by KO. Then there will be plenty of threads that we can go back and laugh at from these last few months. :D

Bring it! I can take it. I'm just glad I had nothing stupid to say about this deal. I remember thinking that I hope it would be like the Kronwall deal where it is a steal in the long run.

Matt, Zata at 7.3? I was hoping he'd take Pavel's money. When Norris Nick retires, we'll have room to bring Hossa back or sign a big name defenseman like Wade Redden.

Bring it! I can take it. I'm just glad I had nothing stupid to say about this deal. I remember thinking that I hope it would be like the Kronwall deal where it is a steal in the long run.

Matt, Zata at 7.3? I was hoping he'd take Pavel's money. When Norris Nick retires, we'll have room to bring Hossa back or sign a big name defenseman like Wade Redden.

I think Matt's guesstimate is reasonable. I'm currently sitting on long term (7 years, that puts him at 35 when it expires) at $7.45, probably frontloaded. He's then eligible for an 'old guy' contract afterwards, takes a discount because he's the captain, you know..

Frankly, I'll be happy if Matt's cap number is closer than mine. :D